Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Car Specifications

NY wrote:

No, it's CRAP. At least it is on our Honda CR-V (with manual transmission).
Whenever you stop on a slight slope, initially using the footbrake, then
apply the handbrake and release the footbrake, the car rolls a few inches
and then comes to an abrupt lurching stop. There seems to be no way to avoid
this; all you can do is release the footbrake gently so the car rolls slowly
and doesn't hit the end-stop so violently.

I've reported it to the Honda garage where we bought the car, and they have
checked it and found it to be "within spec". They say it's a side-effect of
having hill-start assist to prevent the car rolling back for people who
haven't mastered a hill start (which is a requirement of passing the driving
test!).

I'm very surprised that this amount of play in the handbrake mechanism is
regarded as acceptable and that Honda are happy to put their name and their
reputation on the line.

Every other car I've driven (over the past 35 years) has had no play in the
handbrake: if you come to a halt on the footbrake, apply the handbrake and
release the footbrake, the car stays put and doesn't move. I'm assuming that
the car is in neutral or the clutch is pressed so that the transmission
doesn't act as a brake or (if the engine is running) make the car lurch
forward when you let the clutch up.

I had a couple of Volvo 240s (long before hill start assist), and
they had exactly this behaviour. I assumed that, one you took
your foot off the brake pedal, and you were held only on the rear
brake, the suspension wound up.

It was only ever a problem trying to position the towball under
the caravan hitch whilst going uphill.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I understand the base version of mine, often as not, came with the
wiring in place for most of the options even if not installed. The one
option mine ommitted was electric rear screen blind. I don't really see
a need for that lol

When I had a Mk3 Mondeo, the fittings were in place for the foot
well illumination, just needed the bulbs inserting. ;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
Ha! Not in Morse's MK2 Jag, though, eh, where the speedo needle
fluctuated wildly.

There's some in-car footage in one of the episodes of The Sweeney where a
baddy was driving a S-Type Jag and the speedo needle is all over the place.
Not sure whether that was normal or whether the speedo was f*cked because
they tended to use cars that were about to be scrapped for any car chase
sequences.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/16 12:59, NY wrote:
"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
Ha! Not in Morse's MK2 Jag, though, eh, where the speedo needle
fluctuated wildly.

There's some in-car footage in one of the episodes of The Sweeney where
a baddy was driving a S-Type Jag and the speedo needle is all over the
place. Not sure whether that was normal or whether the speedo was f*cked
because they tended to use cars that were about to be scrapped for any
car chase sequences.

The old eddy current speedos were very prone to get bits of magnetic
material between the magnet and the eddy plate.

BTW Wiki reveals this:
------------8
United Kingdom
A speedometer showing mph and km/h along with an odometer and a separate
"trip" odometer (both showing distance traveled in miles).

The amended Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986
permits the use of speedometers that meet either the requirements of EC
Council Directive 75/443 (as amended by Directive 97/39) or UNECE
Regulation 39.[14]

The Motor Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2001[15] permits single
vehicles to be approved. As with the UNECE regulation and the EC
Directives, the speedometer must *never show an indicated speed less
than the actual speed*. However it differs slightly from them in
specifying that for all actual speeds between 25 mph and 70 mph (or the
vehicles' maximum speed if it is lower than this), the indicated speed
must not exceed 110% of the actual speed, plus 6.25 mph.

For example, if the vehicle is actually travelling at 50 mph, the
speedometer must not show more than 61.25 mph or less than 50 mph.
8------------------------------------------

So speedos are DELIBERATELY designed such that no combination of tyres
pressures and loads will ever result in them under reading, and they can
in fact overread by MASSIVE amounts and still be 'street legal'

So the next time you are sitting in the fast lane at what you think is
70, bear in mind you might be doing no more than 58mph...

Irrespective of how that is arrived at, unless you are using GPS or
doppler you WILL be counting rotations of prop shaft or wheel, so the
tyre loading/pressure/make/wear issues are all still in the mix.

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

So speedos are DELIBERATELY designed such that no combination of tyres
pressures and loads will ever result in them under reading, and they can
in fact overread by MASSIVE amounts and still be 'street legal'

So the next time you are sitting in the fast lane at what you think is 70,
bear in mind you might be doing no more than 58mph...

Irrespective of how that is arrived at, unless you are using GPS or
doppler you WILL be counting rotations of prop shaft or wheel, so the tyre

By comparison with a GPS speedo app on my mobile phone, my car's speedo
seems to over-read by a near-constant 5 mph over the 20-80 range, so I know
that I can still be legal when the speedo reads 35, 65, or 75 (for 30, 60
and 70 limits respectively). I gather that normally the over-reading is
proportional to the speed, so a constant error of +5 is unusual.

How much error do you get by tyre wear? For 225/65R17 tyres, the outside
diameter is 2 * 65% of 225 mm plus 17 inches which is 725 mm.

If tyres have about 8 mm tread when new and it reduces to 1.6 mm before
replacement, that means that the error is 2*(8-1.6)/725 = 1.7%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/16 14:10, NY wrote:
[...]

You will get more radius variation than that by putting the MIL in the
back seat.

Tyres do not exhibit a 1:1 correlation with the road surface. They
creep. And they stretch under pressure.

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Jun 2016 12:22:26 +0100
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

The climate control on my ancient BMW in auto mode starts with the fan
just idling on a cold start. Once the coolant gets warm enough, it
ramps up the fan speed to heat the cabin to the set temperature as
quickly as possible. As it approaches that temperature, it ramps down
to a normal quiet speed. And once at temperature, it opens the cold
air vents to the face, if that's what you want. If you select the AC,
it does much the same to cool the car. It works so well I very rarely
touch it.

My Renault Laguna behaves similarly. I just leave the Climate Control in
'Auto', and it does what it needs to do.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Slomo wrote:
No, it's a pain in the arse, at least as implemented in my C4. I don't
give a monkey's about whether the temperature I want is 22C or
whatever. When I get in the car, if I'm cold I want to get hot ASAP, so
I set temp to max. Once I'm warm enough, air at a somewhat lower temp
is what I want. So I turn the temp down from, say 27 to say 22. But
what actually happens is that instead of getting air at 22 I get air
*much* colder than that, because the car thinks I want the entire
ambient temp to get to 22 ASAP.

What I want is a simple slider or dial, such that I get air out of it
at a temp that exactly relates to the dial/slider position.

No reason why a well designed climate control can't have a
button which tells it to operate the way you want when getting
into the car cold and do it the way you want when you tell it to
stop doing that by unpressing that button when warm enough.

The climate control on my ancient BMW in auto mode starts with the fan
just idling on a cold start. Once the coolant gets warm enough, it ramps
up the fan speed to heat the cabin to the set temperature as quickly as
possible. As it approaches that temperature, it ramps down to a normal
quiet speed. And once at temperature, it opens the cold air vents to the
face, if that's what you want. If you select the AC, it does much the same
to cool the car. It works so well I very rarely touch it.

That doesn’t work as well for the situation where you are out of
the car for a relatively short while in the depths of winter and want
to have the heater warm you personally up as fast as possible by
jacking up the car interior temp for a while until you somehow
tell it that you're warm enough now tho. Just a 'warm me up now'
button should do that fine. Same with the height of summer here
where it can be useful to get cooled off quickly when you have
just got into the car with it 110F outside and you have been out
in the sun for a bit etc.

Pipe specifications! MuddyMike UK diy 6 August 4th 11 12:07 AM
Legacy Specifications Tom Watson Woodworking 10 October 13th 09 03:38 PM
Eyeglass specifications Peetie Wheatstraw Home Repair 15 March 6th 08 07:35 PM
DIY Heat Bank: PHE specifications Mike Holmes UK diy 13 August 4th 07 10:34 PM
tubing specifications Jay Metalworking 1 November 25th 04 07:08 PM