Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Car Specifications

What is it that tends to define the typical specification of cars imported
into a particular country?

Some countries I have been to do not seem to have reversing sensors over a
time when they have become commonplace in the UK.

Cruise Control whilst unusual in the UK is very common across all classes
of car in other countries.

I suppose other additions like GPS / SatNav are a bit country specific.

I can see how an Importer of one brand would make a decision, but this
seems to go across brands.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Jun 2016 15:23:00 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

What is it that tends to define the typical specification of cars imported
into a particular country?

Some countries I have been to do not seem to have reversing sensors over a
time when they have become commonplace in the UK.

Cruise Control whilst unusual in the UK is very common across all classes
of car in other countries.

I suppose other additions like GPS / SatNav are a bit country specific.

I can see how an Importer of one brand would make a decision, but this
seems to go across brands.

The obvious cultural difference that I think of is automatic vs manual
transmission

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Graham. wrote:
The obvious cultural difference that I think of is automatic vs manual
transmission

Not really these days. Most larger cars tend to be autos. So probably a
cost thing rather than cultural.

--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Jun 2016 17:04:30 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Graham. wrote:
The obvious cultural difference that I think of is automatic vs manual
transmission

Not really these days. Most larger cars tend to be autos. So probably a
cost thing rather than cultural.

My understanding is that it's very difficult to rent a stick-shift in
the US.
I'll see what my driving instructor friend's experience is when he
returns next week.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Jun 2016 18:32:47 +0100
Graham. wrote:

My understanding is that it's very difficult to rent a stick-shift in
the US.

Correct.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Graham. wrote:
The obvious cultural difference that I think of is automatic vs manual
transmission

Not really these days.

Fraid so.

Most larger cars tend to be autos.

With ours almost all cars are autos now.

So probably a cost thing rather than cultural.

Not here. It does appear to be mostly cultural.

Same with the yanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 June 2016 17:04:45 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Graham. wrote:
The obvious cultural difference that I think of is automatic vs manual
transmission

Not really these days. Most larger cars tend to be autos. So probably a
cost thing rather than cultural.

More likely that the hydraulic gear change is so much more reliable these days. You can hammer a smaller engine with more ease in Italy and Britain and thus keep pretending you still have a rich man's willie.

http://www.citroen-ds-id.com/hc/chapter8.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
The obvious cultural difference that I think of is automatic vs
manual transmission

Not really these days. Most larger cars tend to be autos. So probably
a cost thing rather than cultural.

More likely that the hydraulic gear change is so much more reliable
these days.

Decent autos - ie the epicyclic type - have been more reliable than a
clutch/manual gearbox combination for a pretty long time, in the hands of
an ordinary driver. Far more difficult to abuse. But cost more and likely
have an MPG penalty.

You can hammer a smaller engine with more ease in Italy and Britain and
thus keep pretending you still have a rich man's willie.

http://www.citroen-ds-id.com/hc/chapter8.html

--
*To err is human. To forgive is against company policy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jun 2016 15:35:20 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

wrote:

The obvious cultural difference that I think of is automatic vs
manual transmission

Not really these days. Most larger cars tend to be autos. So probably
a cost thing rather than cultural.

More likely that the hydraulic gear change is so much more reliable
these days.

Decent autos - ie the epicyclic type - have been more reliable than a
clutch/manual gearbox combination for a pretty long time, in the hands
of an ordinary driver. Far more difficult to abuse. But cost more and
likely have an MPG penalty.

And how many drivers would actually notice ?

FWIW changing from dual-clutch auto to "classic" auto on a 1.6 diesel
Citroen C4 I went from 45.5 mpg to (currently) 47.8 ....

IME all non torque converter gearboxes roll back on slopes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What is it that tends to define the typical specification of cars imported
into a particular country?

Some countries I have been to do not seem to have reversing sensors over a
time when they have become commonplace in the UK.

Cruise Control whilst unusual in the UK is very common across all classes
of car in other countries.

I suppose other additions like GPS / SatNav are a bit country specific.

I can see how an Importer of one brand would make a decision, but this
seems to go across brands.

The obvious cultural difference that I think of is automatic vs manual
transmission

These days hardly even that. Modern UK autos are so good its hardly
worth having a manual.

--
€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

These days hardly even that. Modern UK autos are so good its hardly
worth having a manual.

I wish I had tried them years ago., wouldn't go back.

My Mondeo Mk 4 still has a true torque converter. How do the
latest twin clutch versions compare?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/16 08:25, Chris J Dixon wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

These days hardly even that. Modern UK autos are so good its hardly
worth having a manual.

I wish I had tried them years ago., wouldn't go back.

My Mondeo Mk 4 still has a true torque converter. How do the
latest twin clutch versions compare?

Chris

Dunno. I'm driving a ten year old freelander, and that's a torque
converter too, I think

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

These days hardly even that. Modern UK autos are so good its hardly
worth having a manual.

I wish I had tried them years ago., wouldn't go back.

My Mondeo Mk 4 still has a true torque converter. How do the
latest twin clutch versions compare?

Chris

Her Corsa 1.4 has a torque converter. IME, CVT gearboxes roll back
on hills, with the possible exception of Nissan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 June 2016 17:15:57 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Get your fairy tale out of your arse

€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and
the state, and about the manipulation of people under the guise of a
'noble' idea.

It is not an honest pursuit of 'sustainable development,'
a matter of elementary environmental protection, or a search for
rational mechanisms designed to achieve a healthy environment. Yet
things do occur that make you shake your head and remind yourself that
you live neither in Joseph Stalins Communist era, nor in the Orwellian
utopia of 1984.€

Vaclav Klaus

The only reason we still have financial depression is so that the CIA can manufacture a boycott of the world's oil without doing the maximum amount of harm -especially not to the USA. This is intended to sort out the bolshevik states that it wants turned over to right wing newpaper owners and toilet paper cartels; Venezuela for example.

For how could any agency manage to provide the bottle to co-ordinated an attack on Vz by the OAS. The usual way is to pay dangled bribes or threats of both.

There is no other explanation for the total lack of scientific control over climate research. Nor can anyone explain the shelter two litigious non-scientists: Michael Mann and Philip Jones still enjoy.

I can't imagine they both maintain a facade of worthy employment by threatening to sue their employers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Get your fairy tale out of your arse

€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist
environmentalism (or environmental activism) is becoming a general
ideology about humans, about their freedom, about the relationship
[...]

I am sure the CIA is behind the anti-nuclear sentiment in order to
limit the supply of aluminium so that tinfoil hats are unobtainable.

But I've got a few to sell you left

"Saki"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Weatherlawyer wrote:
Yet
things do occur that make you shake your head and remind yourself that
you live neither in Joseph Stalin‘s Communist era, nor in the
Orwellian utopia of 1984.•

Interesting that anyone would compare a fact with fiction. No surprise
Turnip doesn't know the difference.

--
*OK, who stopped payment on my reality check?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
What is it that tends to define the typical specification of cars imported
into a particular country?

Often there's a North America version and an ECE (Europe-ish) version.
There might be a Japanese version too (maybe all RHD are to Japanese spec).
They address features that are incompatible between the two regimes - eg the
headlight arrangement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_..._Regulatio ns

Some countries I have been to do not seem to have reversing sensors over a
time when they have become commonplace in the UK.

Cruise Control whilst unusual in the UK is very common across all classes
of car in other countries.

I suppose other additions like GPS / SatNav are a bit country specific.

I can see how an Importer of one brand would make a decision, but this
seems to go across brands.

Those are presumably options to the base spec: the vehicle is the same, with
parts commonality within a region (NA/ECE/Japan). It is just than the
national subsidiary of the manufacturer or importer decides to promote some
factory options over others. They take a view on what will sell and what
won't. No point fitting satnav if there aren't maps for your country, or
importing black cars to the Middle East. Many of those market decisions
will be similar across manufacturers.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn a écrit :
What is it that tends to define the typical specification of cars imported
into a particular country?

Some countries I have been to do not seem to have reversing sensors over a
time when they have become commonplace in the UK.

Cruise Control whilst unusual in the UK is very common across all classes
of car in other countries.

I suppose other additions like GPS / SatNav are a bit country specific.

I can see how an Importer of one brand would make a decision, but this
seems to go across brands.

Well, cruise would not be much use in a country where they don't have
(m)any motorways.

My car has every toy you could think of or wish for, including built in
TV and sat/nav, apart from it being a manual. I am equally happy with
either auto or manual, both have their good and bad points so far as I
am concerned.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

cruise would not be much use in a country where they don't have
(m)any motorways.

I use cruise control for 30 and 40 limits more than 70 ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns a écrit :
I use cruise control for 30 and 40 limits more than 70 ...

Well, so do I, but mine will engage at 21 so I use 22 in the 20mph
zones, but most drivers only use them for long distance motorway
cruising.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/16 23:29, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andy Burns a écrit :
I use cruise control for 30 and 40 limits more than 70 ...

Well, so do I, but mine will engage at 21 so I use 22 in the 20mph
zones, but most drivers only use them for long distance motorway cruising.

well so far that's two of us who use them for off motorway speed limits
to one who claims others use them only on motorways

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns a écrit :
I use cruise control for 30 and 40 limits more than 70 ...

Well, so do I, but mine will engage at 21 so I use 22 in the 20mph
zones, but most drivers only use them for long distance motorway
cruising.

well so far that's two of us who use them for off motorway speed limits
to one who claims others use them only on motorways

I'm one who only really uses them on motorways (or other long, uneventful
roads). The rest of the time I use the speed limiter, as it's much less
work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 04/06/16 23:29, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Well, so do I, but mine will engage at 21 so I use 22 in the 20mph
zones, but most drivers only use them for long distance motorway cruising.

well so far that's two of us who use them for off motorway speed limits
to one who claims others use them only on motorways

I used my last car for 18 years, and very, very rarely used the cruise
control. This car, owned for a year, I haven't bothered finding out how
the cruise control works.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2016 23:29, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andy Burns a écrit :
I use cruise control for 30 and 40 limits more than 70 ...

Well, so do I, but mine will engage at 21 so I use 22 in the 20mph
zones, but most drivers only use them for long distance motorway cruising.

I use mine through roadworks where there are Specs cameras - at speeds
down to 30pmh.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message ...

DerbyBorn a écrit :
What is it that tends to define the typical specification of cars
imported into a particular country?

Some countries I have been to do not seem to have reversing sensors over
a time when they have become commonplace in the UK.

Cruise Control whilst unusual in the UK is very common across all classes
of car in other countries.

I suppose other additions like GPS / SatNav are a bit country specific.

I can see how an Importer of one brand would make a decision, but this
seems to go across brands.

Well, cruise would not be much use in a country where they don't have
(m)any motorways.

My car has every toy you could think of or wish for, including built in TV
and sat/nav, apart from it being a manual. I am equally happy with either
auto or manual, both have their good and bad points so far as I am
concerned.

What a load of drivel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/16 17:16, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
DerbyBorn a écrit :
What is it that tends to define the typical specification of cars
imported into a particular country?

Some countries I have been to do not seem to have reversing sensors
over a time when they have become commonplace in the UK.

Cruise Control whilst unusual in the UK is very common across all
classes of car in other countries.

I suppose other additions like GPS / SatNav are a bit country specific.

I can see how an Importer of one brand would make a decision, but this
seems to go across brands.

Well, cruise would not be much use in a country where they don't have
(m)any motorways.

Bull****. Its fantastic for knowing you are not exceeding stupid
lefty**** speed limits. set it to the limit, and engage it until you
need to slow down : 30, 40 , 50 , 60, 79. It works for all of them so
you don't need to keep looking at the speedo, but can actually watch out
for more hazards than just speed cameras.

My car has every toy you could think of or wish for, including built in
TV and sat/nav, apart from it being a manual. I am equally happy with
either auto or manual, both have their good and bad points so far as I
am concerned.

IN town traffic I get a stiff left leg from manuals, and I like the
faster reaction times I get from left foot braking on an auto.

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Jun 2016 21:15:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Bull****. Its fantastic for knowing you are not exceeding stupid
lefty**** speed limits. set it to the limit, and engage it until you
need to slow down : 30, 40 , 50 , 60, 79. It works for all of them so
you don't need to keep looking at the speedo, but can actually watch out
for more hazards than just speed cameras.

It's OK, but an automatic speed limiter is better.

If I'm in one of those areas with constantly changing speed limits (and
cameras) I just engage the limiter and let it sort it all out.

In practice, I do know what the limit is all the time, but it protects me
against a mistake.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote in
:

On Sat, 04 Jun 2016 21:15:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Bull****. Its fantastic for knowing you are not exceeding stupid
lefty**** speed limits. set it to the limit, and engage it until you
need to slow down : 30, 40 , 50 , 60, 79. It works for all of them so
you don't need to keep looking at the speedo, but can actually watch
out for more hazards than just speed cameras.

It's OK, but an automatic speed limiter is better.

If I'm in one of those areas with constantly changing speed limits
(and cameras) I just engage the limiter and let it sort it all out.

In practice, I do know what the limit is all the time, but it protects
me against a mistake.

Many Cruise Controls have a "Speed Limiter" Setting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/16 09:10, DerbyBorn wrote:
Bob Eager wrote in
:

On Sat, 04 Jun 2016 21:15:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Bull****. Its fantastic for knowing you are not exceeding stupid
lefty**** speed limits. set it to the limit, and engage it until you
need to slow down : 30, 40 , 50 , 60, 79. It works for all of them so
you don't need to keep looking at the speedo, but can actually watch
out for more hazards than just speed cameras.

It's OK, but an automatic speed limiter is better.

If I'm in one of those areas with constantly changing speed limits
(and cameras) I just engage the limiter and let it sort it all out.

In practice, I do know what the limit is all the time, but it protects
me against a mistake.

Many Cruise Controls have a "Speed Limiter" Setting.

Mine doesn't. Wish it did.

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Jun 2016 08:10:24 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

Bob Eager wrote in
:

On Sat, 04 Jun 2016 21:15:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Bull****. Its fantastic for knowing you are not exceeding stupid
lefty**** speed limits. set it to the limit, and engage it until you
need to slow down : 30, 40 , 50 , 60, 79. It works for all of them so
you don't need to keep looking at the speedo, but can actually watch
out for more hazards than just speed cameras.

It's OK, but an automatic speed limiter is better.

If I'm in one of those areas with constantly changing speed limits (and
cameras) I just engage the limiter and let it sort it all out.

In practice, I do know what the limit is all the time, but it protects
me against a mistake.

Many Cruise Controls have a "Speed Limiter" Setting.

Yes, but this automatically adjusts...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sat, 04 Jun 2016 21:15:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Bull****. Its fantastic for knowing you are not exceeding stupid
lefty**** speed limits. set it to the limit, and engage it until you
need to slow down : 30, 40 , 50 , 60, 79. It works for all of them so
you don't need to keep looking at the speedo, but can actually watch out
for more hazards than just speed cameras.

It's OK, but an automatic speed limiter is better

IME having cruise contrail is a pre-requisite to having a limiter (from a
marketing pov, obviously it isn't a technical limitation)

I am unaware of any model that only has a limiter

(But quite happy to be proved wrong)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher a écrit :
Bull****. Its fantastic for knowing you are not exceeding stupid lefty****
speed limits. set it to the limit, and engage it until you need to slow down :
30, 40 , 50 , 60, 79. It works for all of them so you don't need to keep
looking at the speedo, but can actually watch out for more hazards than just
speed cameras.

I agree and that is what I also use it for, but most with cruise
fitted, will not use it for that purpose, in fact that sort of use is
not advised.

My car has every toy you could think of or wish for, including built in
TV and sat/nav, apart from it being a manual. I am equally happy with
either auto or manual, both have their good and bad points so far as I
am concerned.

IN town traffic I get a stiff left leg from manuals, and I like the faster
reaction times I get from left foot braking on an auto.

I might get a sore left leg, if I didn't make good use of nuetral and
the handbrake in town traffic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/16 23:33, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Using neutral means even MORE clutch activity..

And neutral isn't useful in stop-start-stop situations

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2016 23:33, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Natural Philosopher a écrit :
Bull****. Its fantastic for knowing you are not exceeding stupid
lefty**** speed limits. set it to the limit, and engage it until you
need to slow down : 30, 40 , 50 , 60, 79. It works for all of them so
you don't need to keep looking at the speedo, but can actually watch
out for more hazards than just speed cameras.

I agree and that is what I also use it for, but most with cruise fitted,
will not use it for that purpose, in fact that sort of use is not advised.

Why is that not advised? I suppose that since cruise control only works
on the throttle - and not on the brakes - there is some risk of
exceeding the set speed on a steep decline.

The cruise control on my 9 year old Volvo V70 simply maintains a
constant speed (as far as it is able to) by varying the throttle
opening. Later models are smarter than that, and have the ability either
to maintain the speed set or to maintain a constant distance behind the
vehicle in front if that is travelling more slowly. I fancy that!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 04/06/2016 23:33, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Natural Philosopher a écrit :
Bull****. Its fantastic for knowing you are not exceeding stupid
lefty**** speed limits. set it to the limit, and engage it until you
need to slow down : 30, 40 , 50 , 60, 79. It works for all of them so
you don't need to keep looking at the speedo, but can actually watch
out for more hazards than just speed cameras.

I agree and that is what I also use it for, but most with cruise fitted,
will not use it for that purpose, in fact that sort of use is not
advised.

Why is that not advised? I suppose that since cruise control only works on
the throttle - and not on the brakes - there is some risk of exceeding the
set speed on a steep decline.

most of my experience with cruise is in the US with autos, and there the
cruise slows you down using engine braking when the car goes downhill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

I suppose that since cruise control only works on the throttle - and
not on the brakes - there is some risk of exceeding the set speed on
a steep decline.

Mine slows itself in exactly that situation using the brakes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills a écrit :
Why is that not advised? I suppose that since cruise control only works on
the throttle - and not on the brakes - there is some risk of exceeding the
set speed on a steep decline.

Maybe they distrust the ability of the driver to cope with cruise, but
I remember my cars handbook says something along those lines.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher a écrit :
Bull****. Its fantastic for knowing you are not exceeding stupid
lefty**** speed limits. set it to the limit, and engage it until you need
to slow down : 30, 40 , 50 , 60, 79. It works for all of them so you
don't need to keep looking at the speedo, but can actually watch out for
more hazards than just speed cameras.

I agree and that is what I also use it for, but most with cruise fitted,
will not use it for that purpose, in fact that sort of use is not advised.

what sort of use is not advised?

"setting it to the speed limit so that you can concentrate on "real"
hazards"

seems to be the obvious use case to me

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn a écrit :
[...]

most useful for average speed limits, which have grown 5-fold in the last few years and soon will be everywhere as the technology has got better.

Pipe specifications! MuddyMike UK diy 6 August 4th 11 12:07 AM
Legacy Specifications Tom Watson Woodworking 10 October 13th 09 03:38 PM
Eyeglass specifications Peetie Wheatstraw Home Repair 15 March 6th 08 07:35 PM
DIY Heat Bank: PHE specifications Mike Holmes UK diy 13 August 4th 07 10:34 PM
tubing specifications Jay Metalworking 1 November 25th 04 07:08 PM