Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Car Specifications

On 04/06/2016 23:33, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Natural Philosopher a écrit :
Bull****. Its fantastic for knowing you are not exceeding stupid
lefty**** speed limits. set it to the limit, and engage it until you
need to slow down : 30, 40 , 50 , 60, 79. It works for all of them so
you don't need to keep looking at the speedo, but can actually watch
out for more hazards than just speed cameras.

I agree and that is what I also use it for, but most with cruise fitted,
will not use it for that purpose, in fact that sort of use is not advised.

Why is that not advised? I suppose that since cruise control only works
on the throttle - and not on the brakes - there is some risk of
exceeding the set speed on a steep decline.

The cruise control on my 9 year old Volvo V70 simply maintains a
constant speed (as far as it is able to) by varying the throttle
opening. Later models are smarter than that, and have the ability either
to maintain the speed set or to maintain a constant distance behind the
vehicle in front if that is travelling more slowly. I fancy that!
--
Cheers,
Roger