Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Problem with mozilla

This morning when attempting to send messages from any email (I have a
number) to any address I get this error:

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect
greeting: Your IP address is on the XBL blacklist! Sending denied.
For further information and delisting procedure,
please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=80.229.179.189.

The messages into the sent box, but is not received.
Any ideas please? I am running under windows 10, both have been stable
for some time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
This morning when attempting to send messages from any email (I have a
number) to any address I get this error:

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect
greeting: Your IP address is on the XBL blacklist! Sending denied.
For further information and delisting procedure,
please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=80.229.179.189.

The messages into the sent box, but is not received.
Any ideas please? I am running under windows 10, both have been stable
for some time.

And you think this is a problem with Mozilla because...?

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 May 2016 10:14:20 +0100, Broadback wrote:

This morning when attempting to send messages from any email (I have a
number) to any address I get this error:

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect
greeting: Your IP address is on the XBL blacklist! Sending denied. For
further information and delisting procedure,
please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=80.229.179.189.

The messages into the sent box, but is not received.
Any ideas please? I am running under windows 10, both have been stable
for some time.

Where does your mail client send the mail to? That server has blocked
your IP, because your client IP has got itself onto a blacklist for
sending spam.

Following that link shows that it's on one particular blacklist, because
it's infected with a botnet trojan.

http://www.abuseat.org/lookup.cgi?ip=80.229.179.189

If your machine isn't - and be VERY sure about that - then speak to
PlusNet (I'm assuming you're a PlusNet customer, since that's a PlusNet
dynamic IP address).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2016 10:15, Tim+ wrote:
Broadback wrote:
This morning when attempting to send messages from any email (I have a
number) to any address I get this error:

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect
greeting: Your IP address is on the XBL blacklist! Sending denied.
For further information and delisting procedure,
please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=80.229.179.189.

The messages into the sent box, but is not received.
Any ideas please? I am running under windows 10, both have been stable
for some time.

And you think this is a problem with Mozilla because...?

Tim

I did not write that is was a problem with Mozilla just that it is a
problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 May 2016 10:24:47 +0100, Broadback wrote:

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an
incorrect greeting: Your IP address is on the XBL blacklist!

And you think this is a problem with Mozilla because...?

I did not write that is was a problem with Mozilla

looks at subject line

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
This morning when attempting to send messages from any email (I have a
number) to any address I get this error:

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect
greeting: Your IP address is on the XBL blacklist! Sending denied.
For further information and delisting procedure,
please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=80.229.179.189.

The messages into the sent box, but is not received.
Any ideas please? I am running under windows 10, both have been stable
for some time.

It's saying that your mail server is on a blacklist that the recipient
organisation has subscribed to. I assume you don't run your own SMTP
server at home (because if you did, this error message would mean more
to you than it appears to), so it probably means your ISP is actually
blacklisted, which is unusual.

Is that IP address 80.229.179.189 your domestic IP address? It sort of
looks like one, so maybe you are somehow sending email out directly by
SMTP from your home network? If so, you'll have to use your ISPs SMTP
servers as a smart host.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2016 10:15, Tim+ wrote:
Broadback wrote:
This morning when attempting to send messages from any email (I have a
number) to any address I get this error:

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect
greeting: Your IP address is on the XBL blacklist! Sending denied.
For further information and delisting procedure,
please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=80.229.179.189.

The messages into the sent box, but is not received.
Any ideas please? I am running under windows 10, both have been stable
for some time.

And you think this is a problem with Mozilla because...?

Tim

I realise too late that the heading th at I blame Mozilla, whereas the
text does not, sorry for the confusion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
This morning when attempting to send messages from any email (I have a
number) to any address I get this error:

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect
greeting: Your IP address is on the XBL blacklist! Sending denied.
For further information and delisting procedure,
please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=80.229.179.189.

Well you could always try what it says! ".... please see
http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=80.229.179.189"

As I understand it, for whatever reason, the mail server/hub from
which you are trying to send your E-Mail has been blacklisted for
sending too much spam. That's your ISP or other mail provider,
whoever that may be.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2016 10:15, Tim+ wrote:
Broadback wrote:
This morning when attempting to send messages from any email (I have a
number) to any address I get this error:

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect
greeting: Your IP address is on the XBL blacklist! Sending denied. For
further information and delisting procedure, please see
http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=80.229.179.189.

The messages into the sent box, but is not received. Any ideas please?
I am running under windows 10, both have been stable for some time.

And you think this is a problem with Mozilla because...?

Tim

I did not write that is was a problem with Mozilla just that it is a
problem.

The problem is with your ISP, Plusnet:-

inetnum: 80.229.128.0 - 80.229.191.255
netname: PLUSNET-DIAL-ADSL
descr: PlusNet plc.

IP Address 80.229.179.189 is listed in the CBL.
It shows signs of being infected with a spam sending trojan, malicious
link or some other form of botnet.

It was last detected at 2016-05-09 10:00 GMT (+/- 30 minutes),
approximately 7 days, 1 hours ago.

This IP is infected (or NATting for a computer that is infected) with the
Conficker botnet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect
greeting: Your IP address is on the XBL blacklist! Sending denied.
please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=80.229.179.189.

It looks like you're trying to send email direct from your PC, rather
than via Plusnet's email server, not many places will accept email from
IP blocks that are adsl or dialup (as that IP address indicates) and
especially if someone else within the same block has been sending spam
and got the block blacklisted.

If you configure thunderbird to use relay.plus.net you should be ok.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2016 10:26, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Broadback wrote:
This morning when attempting to send messages from any email (I have a
number) to any address I get this error:

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect
greeting: Your IP address is on the XBL blacklist! Sending denied.
For further information and delisting procedure,
please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=80.229.179.189.

The messages into the sent box, but is not received.
Any ideas please? I am running under windows 10, both have been stable
for some time.

It's saying that your mail server is on a blacklist that the recipient
organisation has subscribed to.

No, its saying that a machine on his network is on the blacklist, not
the server (which will be a plusnet machine in this case)

Following the instructions given by the CBL page would be worth doing:

http://www.abuseat.org/lookup.cgi?ip=80.229.179.189

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2016 10:14, Broadback wrote:
This morning when attempting to send messages from any email (I have a
number) to any address I get this error:

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect
greeting: Your IP address is on the XBL blacklist! Sending denied.
For further information and delisting procedure,
please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=80.229.179.189.

The messages into the sent box, but is not received.
Any ideas please? I am running under windows 10, both have been stable
for some time.

As others have indicated, first check you don't have a trojan running on
any device on your network.

If Plusnet are like any othe ISP with dynamic IP address, I suggest you
switch off your router for 10 minutes or so, and after switching on hope
you might be allocated a new "clean" IP address.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2016 12:41, Andy Burns wrote:
Broadback wrote:

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect
greeting: Your IP address is on the XBL blacklist! Sending denied.
please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=80.229.179.189.

It looks like you're trying to send email direct from your PC, rather
than via Plusnet's email server, not many places will accept email from
IP blocks that are adsl or dialup (as that IP address indicates) and
especially if someone else within the same block has been sending spam
and got the block blacklisted.

If you configure thunderbird to use relay.plus.net you should be ok.

I suspect that relay.plus.net will be blocking his connection because a
machine on his IP appears on the blacklist. Whichever machine that is
may have been attempting to route email directly without going via
plusnet's SMTP server and thus managed to get onto the blacklist in the
first place.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
This morning when attempting to send messages from any email (I have a
number) to any address I get this error:

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect
greeting: Your IP address is on the XBL blacklist! Sending denied.
For further information and delisting procedure,
please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=80.229.179.189.

The messages into the sent box, but is not received.
Any ideas please? I am running under windows 10, both have been stable
for some time.

It's saying that your mail server is on a blacklist that the recipient
organisation has subscribed to.

No, its saying that a machine on his network is on the blacklist, not
the server (which will be a plusnet machine in this case)

Yes, it's starting to look like there is no outgoing server, and that
the mail client is sending out direct. I just hadn't imagined that
happening, since it seems unlikely to be reliable nowadays.

Following the instructions given by the CBL page would be worth doing:

http://www.abuseat.org/lookup.cgi?ip=80.229.179.189

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/16 10:20, Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 16 May 2016 10:14:20 +0100, Broadback wrote:

This morning when attempting to send messages from any email (I have a
number) to any address I get this error:

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect
greeting: Your IP address is on the XBL blacklist! Sending denied. For
further information and delisting procedure,
please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=80.229.179.189.

The messages into the sent box, but is not received.
Any ideas please? I am running under windows 10, both have been stable
for some time.

Where does your mail client send the mail to? That server has blocked
your IP, because your client IP has got itself onto a blacklist for
sending spam.

He means what SMTP 'relay' or 'smart host' are you sending it to?

You should not be sending direct...

Following that link shows that it's on one particular blacklist, because
it's infected with a botnet trojan.

http://www.abuseat.org/lookup.cgi?ip=80.229.179.189

If your machine isn't - and be VERY sure about that - then speak to
PlusNet (I'm assuming you're a PlusNet customer, since that's a PlusNet
dynamic IP address).

It is most likely that your machine IS infected. Dynamic IP addresses
are reassigned but infrequently.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/16 10:14, Broadback wrote:
This morning when attempting to send messages from any email (I have a
number) to any address I get this error:

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect
greeting: Your IP address is on the XBL blacklist! Sending denied.
For further information and delisting procedure,
please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=80.229.179.189.

The messages into the sent box, but is not received.
Any ideas please? I am running under windows 10, both have been stable
for some time.

IF you are using mozilla THUNDERBIRD to send mail, you CANNOT send
'direct' but must always uses a smart host.(SMTP) relay)

Unless you have a Linux machine acting as a mail relay on your domestic
network, what that message means is that your SMTP relay has detected
the fact that your IP address has been sending spam, and is blacklisted
at spamhaus.

Unless you have multi0le machines on your domestic network, that means
your PC is infected.

It is appertently te Conficker worm.
#
To remove it

or take the PC to a competent windows de-louser.
(if there are any).

Better still, install linux and erase windows from your life.

private property.

Karl Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 May 2016 14:53:12 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Unless you have a Linux machine acting as a mail relay on your domestic
network, what that message means is that your SMTP relay has detected
the fact that your IP address has been sending spam, and is blacklisted
at spamhaus.

ITYM 'a machine' - why would it have to be Linux?

Sweeping generalisation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/16 15:40, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 16 May 2016 14:53:12 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Unless you have a Linux machine acting as a mail relay on your domestic
network, what that message means is that your SMTP relay has detected
the fact that your IP address has been sending spam, and is blacklisted
at spamhaus.

ITYM 'a machine' - why would it have to be Linux?

Why on earth would anyone build a mail server on OSX or on Windows?

Sweeping generalisation.

Educated guess.

There simply isn't MTA software for windows except Exchange, and who
runs that at home?

And I have never ever seen a Mac used as an MTA ever.

The point being that anyone smart enough to to know how to use Windows
or OSX as MTA would be smart enough to know not to.

Why make a rod for your back?

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/16 17:31, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 16/05/16 15:40, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 16 May 2016 14:53:12 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Unless you have a Linux machine acting as a mail relay on your domestic
network, what that message means is that your SMTP relay has detected
the fact that your IP address has been sending spam, and is blacklisted
at spamhaus.

ITYM 'a machine' - why would it have to be Linux?

Why on earth would anyone build a mail server on OSX or on Windows?

Because OS X is what I have here.

Sweeping generalisation.

Educated guess.

There simply isn't MTA software for windows except Exchange, and who
runs that at home?

And I have never ever seen a Mac used as an MTA ever.

So what?

The point being that anyone smart enough to to know how to use Windows
or OSX as MTA would be smart enough to know not to.

Why not? OS X comes, or seems to come, with the components needed (I'm
assuming that smtpd, postfix, sendmail, are relevant). Just like it
comes with apache and PHP, too (unlike Mint, as far as I could tell).

Now, I seem to recall reading that for reasons I've now forgotten,
Linux is better than OS X for process switching, which would probably
make it better for a production server, but for low-level home use that
probably doesn't matter. Those same reasons may make OS X a better
desktop machine, for all I know.

I'm wouldn't be going to bother trying to run another OS on a permanent
basis if I wanted to make my OS X file-server also be a mail server.
Not that I have any intention of doing so - I don't even have a static
IP address - but if I *did* want to I'd be asking on one of the Mac
ng's rather than here, anyway.

So you confirm that you have a mac and you are not running an MTA on it?

Mac users are not the sort of people who DO run MTAS.

Oh and Mint does come with apache and PHP. Not that its releavent to
anything

--
it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
This morning when attempting to send messages from any email (I have a
number) to any address I get this error:

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect
greeting: Your IP address is on the XBL blacklist! Sending denied.
For further information and delisting procedure,
please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=80.229.179.189.

The messages into the sent box, but is not received.
Any ideas please? I am running under windows 10, both have been stable
for some time.

It's saying that your mail server is on a blacklist that the recipient
organisation has subscribed to.

No, its saying that a machine on his network is on the blacklist, not
the server (which will be a plusnet machine in this case)

Yes, it's starting to look like there is no outgoing server, and that

There *will* be an outgoing server (since thunderbird does not do its
own MX based routing and does not include its own SMTP server). However
that does not preclude a bit of malware sat on one of your PCs that does
have its own SMTP engine built in, from punting out spam and bypassing
your email setup via plusnet's smtp server.

If that sends spam to a honeypot machine run by one of the spam
blacklist firms, it will get your machines IP address (or more correctly
the IP address allocated to your router by plusnet) onto the spam
blacklist. Once that happens, your real email client will have
difficulty getting messages sent via the official SMTP server - since
that will check the blacklist

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2016 13:20, Fredxxx wrote:
On 16/05/2016 10:14, Broadback wrote:
This morning when attempting to send messages from any email (I have a
number) to any address I get this error:

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect
greeting: Your IP address is on the XBL blacklist! Sending denied.
For further information and delisting procedure,
please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=80.229.179.189.

The messages into the sent box, but is not received.
Any ideas please? I am running under windows 10, both have been stable
for some time.

As others have indicated, first check you don't have a trojan running on
any device on your network.

If Plusnet are like any othe ISP with dynamic IP address, I suggest you
switch off your router for 10 minutes or so, and after switching on hope
you might be allocated a new "clean" IP address.

Which if you are running a spam sending a bit of malware, will promptly
get that address blocked again! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/16 15:40, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 16 May 2016 14:53:12 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Unless you have a Linux machine acting as a mail relay on your domestic
network, what that message means is that your SMTP relay has detected
the fact that your IP address has been sending spam, and is blacklisted
at spamhaus.

ITYM 'a machine' - why would it have to be Linux?

Why on earth would anyone build a mail server on OSX or on Windows?

Cos they want to run Exchange usually...

Sweeping generalisation.

Educated guess.

There simply isn't MTA software for windows except Exchange,

Nonsense...

https://www.hmailserver.com/
http://www.mailenable.com/
http://www.evomailserver.com/
http://www.mailtraq.com/mail-server-software
http://www.altn.com/Products/MDaemon...erver-Windows/

(there are *loads* more)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/16 10:20, Adrian wrote:
[...]

+1

However its worth noting that depending on which plusnet account you
originally buy, and also how long you have had it, you may well get
allocated a static IP - they used to hand them out by default.

(in the OPs case, a reverse lookup on his IP maps to
189.179.229.80.dyn.plus.net, rather than his account username in the
form username.plus.com, so he probably does have a dynamic IP)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
[...]

I see. I've never known ISPs to check their own clients against
blacklists before relaying out (which I think is what you're saying).
It looks like things have moved on since my day :-) I used to be an
Exchange MVP (it's only awarded year-to-year) before I started having
children, so I used to know about these things. Nowadays, all I know
about is, well, things to do with kids.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Correct, FWIW.

Mac users are not the sort of people who DO run MTAS.

Oh and Mint does come with apache and PHP. Not that its releavent to
anything

Well it was relevant to me when running my app. Where are they located?

????

what do you mean 'where are they located'?

All over the place. Applications don't have 'a place'. Not in Linux, or
indeeed windows, and its a bit artificial if they have in OSX too...

--
But what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!

Mary Wollstonecraft

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 May 2016 16:23:44 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 16/05/16 15:40, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 16 May 2016 14:53:12 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Unless you have a Linux machine acting as a mail relay on your
domestic network, what that message means is that your SMTP relay has
detected the fact that your IP address has been sending spam, and is
blacklisted at spamhaus.

ITYM 'a machine' - why would it have to be Linux?

Why on earth would anyone build a mail server on OSX or on Windows?

Sweeping generalisation.

Educated guess.

There simply isn't MTA software for windows except Exchange, and who
runs that at home?

And I have never ever seen a Mac used as an MTA ever.

The point being that anyone smart enough to to know how to use Windows
or OSX as MTA would be smart enough to know not to.

Postfix is nice, and runs on OSX.

And I run it on FreeBSD.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/16 23:02, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

BUT you run it on freeBSD.

Windows is all chrome and tailfins on a a cart spring and solid axles
chassis.

OS X is all chrome and tailfins on independent suspension.

Linux and BSD are the independent suspension chassis with custom
bodywork options ;-)

Chrome and tailfins are not essential.

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

This is normally your isp getting one or more of its mail servers listed for
spamming or some other nasty crime.
The only answer usually is for the ISP to get it unlisted.
This is why it can be very handy to have several portable email addresses
like google and Yahoo, as at least you can let friends know what is going
on. I'd find it hard to see any reason for this message which is caused
locally on your machine.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Broadback" wrote in message
This morning when attempting to send messages from any email (I have a
number) to any address I get this error:

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect
greeting: Your IP address is on the XBL blacklist! Sending denied.
For further information and delisting procedure,
please see
http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=80.229.179.189.

The messages into the sent box, but is not received.
Any ideas please? I am running under windows 10, both have been stable for
some time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/2016 08:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
This is normally your isp getting one or more of its mail servers listed for
spamming or some other nasty crime.
The only answer usually is for the ISP to get it unlisted.
This is why it can be very handy to have several portable email addresses
like google and Yahoo, as at least you can let friends know what is going
on. I'd find it hard to see any reason for this message which is caused
locally on your machine.

Brian

Many thanks for all you replies. I think that is was possibly IDNet,
this morning it is working fine. Again many thanks to you all, though to
be honest a lot of the replies were over my head, however I appreciate
the help.
cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/16 08:25, Broadback wrote:
On 17/05/2016 08:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
This is normally your isp getting one or more of its mail servers
listed for
spamming or some other nasty crime.
The only answer usually is for the ISP to get it unlisted.
This is why it can be very handy to have several portable email
addresses
like google and Yahoo, as at least you can let friends know what is going
on. I'd find it hard to see any reason for this message which is caused
locally on your machine.

Brian

Many thanks for all you replies. I think that is was possibly IDNet,

If you are with IDNET they do static IP addresses by default.

Except the address that offended was a Plusnet dynamic pool address. So
that does not compute.

Another long shot is that the DNS of the relay you were using was hacked
and pointed at a spambot temporarily.

this morning it is working fine. Again many thanks to you all, though to
be honest a lot of the replies were over my head, however I appreciate
the help.
cheers

The most likely explanation is that you are now on a different IP
address, which will get blocked in due course if you are still
harbouring conficker.

fully understood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

OS X is all chrome and tailfins on independent suspension.

Linux and BSD are the independent suspension chassis with custom
bodywork options ;-)

Chrome and tailfins are not essential.

Which aspects of OS X constitute "chrome and tailfins", in your opinion?

Do you really have to ask?

Quartz compositor and its friends

Like the dock.

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

OS X is all chrome and tailfins on independent suspension.

Linux and BSD are the independent suspension chassis with custom
bodywork options ;-)

Chrome and tailfins are not essential.

Which aspects of OS X constitute "chrome and tailfins", in your opinion?

Do you really have to ask?

Quartz compositor and its friends

Like the dock.

How does the dock differ from the taskbar or whatever it's called in
Mint?

The taskbar as you call it is not compulsory.

I have a python script, which yesterday I marked as executable
and put in the Mint taskbar. I then tried clicking on it. Nothing
happened.

What made you think that it would? Because that is what happens in OS/X?

I don't see anything wrong with the dock, except nice would be to
reduce its translucency.

Why dont you? Oh. It's chrome and tailfins you cant get rid of....

I've moved it to the left of the screen and
reduced its magnification. I have all my commonly-used apps and docs
there.

If the dock is all you're complaining about then it's a bit of a yawn.

I think you don't even understand what the quartz compositor is.

Chrome and tailfins is useless bling that you cant get rid of that just
slows the thing down.

Windows is all about that.

OSX pretends its actually slightly useful bling, and 'sophisticated', to
attract the more fashion conscious and snobby.

Linux has plenty of it, but you don't *need* to use any of it.

Some people run linux as a console, and if they want a graphical
application, they type in its name to start it.

fully understood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chrome and tailfins is useless bling that you cant get rid of that just
slows the thing down.

Windows is all about that.

Since you have made it abundantly clear that you know sod all of
relevance about any version of windows in the last few years, why do
continue to embarrass yourself by repeating the same tired old twaddle
in public over and over?

Yes we all know win 3.1 was crap - get over it.

OSX pretends its actually slightly useful bling, and 'sophisticated', to
attract the more fashion conscious and snobby.

Linux has plenty of it, but you don't *need* to use any of it.

Have you installed Win Server 2012 R2 any time recently? In "core" mode
- no default services installed, no GUI, no "bling" - drive everything
from the Power Shell...

Some people run linux as a console, and if they want a graphical
application, they type in its name to start it.

Same for windows, if that is what you want.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

He means what SMTP 'relay' or 'smart host' are you sending it to?

You should not be sending direct...

Why not? (This is a question, NOT a criticism of your post.)

--
Phil
Liverpool, UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/16 17:28, Phil wrote:
He means what SMTP 'relay' or 'smart host' are you sending it to?

You should not be sending direct...

Why not? (This is a question, NOT a criticism of your post.)

Because people who do, do so to avoid spam filters on smart hosts, and
get their IP addresses blacklisted.

--
"Women actually are capable of being far more than the feminists will let
them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/16 17:28, Phil wrote:
He means what SMTP 'relay' or 'smart host' are you sending it to?

You should not be sending direct...

Why not? (This is a question, NOT a criticism of your post.)

Because people who do, do so to avoid spam filters on smart hosts, and
get their IP addresses blacklisted.

Ah, I see. I switched to sending direct about two months ago - so far
so good!

--
Phil
Liverpool, UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/16 18:46, Phil wrote:
On 22/05/16 17:28, Phil wrote:
He means what SMTP 'relay' or 'smart host' are you sending it to?

You should not be sending direct...

Why not? (This is a question, NOT a criticism of your post.)

Because people who do, do so to avoid spam filters on smart hosts, and
get their IP addresses blacklisted.

Ah, I see. I switched to sending direct about two months ago - so far
so good!

If you have a fixed IP address from a smaller ISP and decent reverse DNS
you should be OK.

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal