Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default OT Using Mozilla T-Bird on here ...

My son has just provided me with a new computer, on which he has put
Windoze 7. As there is no longer any O.E. included in the OS, he has put
this T-Bird program on as the mail client, and has also configured it to
serve as the news client for the text groups that I subscribe to. I
always liked O.E. for these, as I found that the way it layed out the
threads, was simple and intuitive. I also like the way that it was
simple to put a 'watch' on a thread, and as a result, colour the header,
and then see it go bold, when there was a new post to a thread.

Thus far, on T-Bird, as far as I can see, it seems to display
sub-threads within threads, rather than just stacking replies to a post
below that post. Is there somewhere that I can configure it to handle
the threading like O.E. did ? Also, how do I put a 'watch' on a thread,
and can I colour the headers as a result of putting a watch on ? What do
the little stars to the left of posts mean ? What have I switched on
when I highlight one ?

Before everyone starts howling that I should use a 'real' mail client, I
do also use X News, but I never much cared for the way that handled text
groups, which is why I used O.E. for them.

I know it's probably a bit of 'not liking change',(I'm getting old and
grumpy !) but I really did like O.E., so would it be better (for me at
least) to try the new Windoze Mail, which I understand is basically O.E.
for Vista and above, or possibly, full blown Outlook, which I have been
told runs fine on W7 ?

Gettin' more confused by the minute ...

Arfa
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

I always liked O.E. for these, as I found that the way it layed out
the threads, was simple and intuitive. I also like the way that it
was simple to put a 'watch' on a thread, and as a result, colour
the header, and then see it go bold, when there was a new post
to a thread.

You have no idea how it thrills me to hear you say that! Although I'd
readily admit that it's not the "best" or even close to the "best"
newsreader out there, OE always seemed to get the threading and
ordering right when nothing else would. While I didn't use the "watch
this" feature much, it was handy and well implemented.

I'm one of these Windows 2000 diehards, but I know the day is coming.
I have zero interest in Win7, so that leaves the Mac OS or Linux. I'm
steadily gravitating toward one or the other.

Thus far, on T-Bird, as far as I can see, it seems to display
sub-threads within threads, rather than just stacking replies to a
post below that post.

Thunderbird defaults to a non-threaded view. To change this, navigate
to the newsgroup that you want and change the view (under the view
menu, and possibly another submenu beyond that) to "threaded".

Also, how do I put a 'watch' on a thread, and can I colour the headers
as a result of putting a watch on ?

I'm sure you can, but I haven't figured out how to do it yet. I
haven't had to, and "necessity is the mother of invention" or
something like that...

What do the little stars to the left of posts mean ? What have I
switched on when I highlight one ?

So far as I know, the stars mean that you "like" a message or somehow
want to call attention to it. You can sort the messages by their
starred status or skip between starred messages.

to try the new Windoze Mail, which I understand is basically
O.E. for Vista and above

I don't know that Windows Mail does Usenet. Other than that, it is
almost a dead ringer for OE in a lot of ways. (So why did they stop
the development and inclusion of OE again?)

or possibly, full blown Outlook, which I have been told runs fine
on W7 ?

Outlook doesn't read Usenet by itself. That job is farmed out to
Outlook Express, called up with the /outnews switch to hide the e-mail
functionality. In the light of Outlook Express disappearing, perhaps
Outlook itself has dropped support for Usenet.

That wouldn't surprise me, what with everyone and their dog dropping
Usenet support for these (mostly) idiotic web forums (a great many of
which seem to scrape Usenet for content anyway!).

William
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 01/06/2010 12:53, Arfa Daily wrote:
My son has just provided me with a new computer, on which he has put
Windoze 7. As there is no longer any O.E. included in the OS,

Doesn't Windows Mail handle newsgroups?

he has put
this T-Bird program on as the mail client, and has also configured it to
serve as the news client for the text groups that I subscribe to.

Don't use it for email. Find another program for that otherwise you'll
end up accidently posting private funnies about your budgies love life
to the group ;-)

always liked O.E. for these, as I found that the way it layed out the
threads, was simple and intuitive. I also like the way that it was
simple to put a 'watch' on a thread, and as a result, colour the header,
and then see it go bold, when there was a new post to a thread.

On TB, you'll see the first one _underlined_ if the thread has been
collapsed and new additions have arrived.

Thus far, on T-Bird, as far as I can see, it seems to display
sub-threads within threads, rather than just stacking replies to a post
below that post. Is there somewhere that I can configure it to handle
the threading like O.E. did ?

Confused. Been years since I used O.E. and on swapping I thought
Thunderbird was fairly similar in this respect. Subthreads within
threads is what ye got when you turned on threading!

Anyway ...

- View - Threads - All ... or Watched Threads with Unread

Also, how do I put a 'watch' on a thread,

The W key, (or - Message - Watch Thread)

and can I colour the headers as a result of putting a watch on ?

There is an 'eye' icon next to watched threads.

I do - Message - Tag - {list of tags} to change colour of the row.

A little fiddle I'm sure.

What do
the little stars to the left of posts mean ? What have I switched on
when I highlight one ?

Nothing, it's just for tagging the post for one of your following actions

- File - Offline - Get Starred Messages
- Edit - Select - Starred Messages
- View - Sort By - Star

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 12:53:56 +0100, Arfa Daily
wrote:

My son has just provided me with a new computer, on which he has put
Windoze 7. As there is no longer any O.E. included in the OS, he has put
this T-Bird program on as the mail client, and has also configured it to
serve as the news client for the text groups that I subscribe to.

(...)

Thunderbird sorta works for Usenet News, but I would recommend Forte
Agent instead. $29 to register. 30 day free trial.
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Adrian C wrote:

this T-Bird program on as the mail client, and has also configured it to
serve as the news client for the text groups that I subscribe to.

Don't use it for email. Find another program for that otherwise you'll
end up accidently posting private funnies about your budgies love life
to the group ;-)

Only if you are brain dead.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

My son has just provided me with a new computer, on which he has put
Windoze 7. As there is no longer any O.E. included in the OS, he has put
this T-Bird program on as the mail client, and has also configured it to
serve as the news client for the text groups that I subscribe to.

(...)

Thunderbird sorta works for Usenet News, but I would recommend Forte
Agent instead. $29 to register. 30 day free trial.
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php

T-bird works fine for TEXT Usenet newsgroups.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 01/06/2010 18:37, UCLAN wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

My son has just provided me with a new computer, on which he has put
Windoze 7. As there is no longer any O.E. included in the OS, he has
put this T-Bird program on as the mail client, and has also
configured it to serve as the news client for the text groups that I
subscribe to.

(...)

Thunderbird sorta works for Usenet News, but I would recommend Forte
Agent instead. $29 to register. 30 day free trial.
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php

T-bird works fine for TEXT Usenet newsgroups.

It's not a perfect job though. Try doing anything slightly advanced with
features you've been given and the brick wall approaches.

For instance, it would be damm useful if the filtering criteria
supported 'regular expression syntax. Er, nope.

Or, if visiting a topic that has been cross-posted in many of ya other
subscribed groups, then having visited posts marked as read in the other
groups would be nice. Er, nope.

Or, where is ROT13 support? (and don't say LeetKey...)

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

Apparently Windows Mail is hidden in Win 7 somewhere,
and just needs a tweak to make it work. You mention only
OE, but Windows Mail is nearly identical. Plenty of info
out there.
http://help.lockergnome.com/general/...pict64316.html

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/1/2010 10:35 AM UCLAN spake thus:

Adrian C wrote:

this T-Bird program on as the mail client, and has also configured it to
serve as the news client for the text groups that I subscribe to.

Don't use it for email. Find another program for that otherwise you'll
end up accidently posting private funnies about your budgies love life
to the group ;-)

Only if you are brain dead.

Yeah, really. I use T-bird for both mail and Usenet. You just set up
different accounts. Piece of cake.