Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Problem with mozilla

On 16/05/2016 13:33, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 16/05/2016 10:26, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Broadback wrote:
This morning when attempting to send messages from any email (I have a
number) to any address I get this error:

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect
greeting: Your IP address is on the XBL blacklist! Sending denied.
For further information and delisting procedure,
please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=80.229.179.189.

The messages into the sent box, but is not received.
Any ideas please? I am running under windows 10, both have been stable
for some time.

It's saying that your mail server is on a blacklist that the recipient
organisation has subscribed to.

No, its saying that a machine on his network is on the blacklist, not
the server (which will be a plusnet machine in this case)

Yes, it's starting to look like there is no outgoing server, and that

There *will* be an outgoing server (since thunderbird does not do its
own MX based routing and does not include its own SMTP server). However
that does not preclude a bit of malware sat on one of your PCs that does
have its own SMTP engine built in, from punting out spam and bypassing
your email setup via plusnet's smtp server.

If that sends spam to a honeypot machine run by one of the spam
blacklist firms, it will get your machines IP address (or more correctly
the IP address allocated to your router by plusnet) onto the spam
blacklist. Once that happens, your real email client will have
difficulty getting messages sent via the official SMTP server - since
that will check the blacklist

--
Cheers,

John.