Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default #*?#@?!! health and bloody safety

Seen it all now...

Just bought a couple of made to measure roller blinds on the internet
and very nice they are too.

Except for one thing.

Heavy metal ball chain (no 10 gauge, aka 4.5mm balls) - good.
Ball chain connectors - special "breakaway" safety type because
apparently, somewhere, some numpty has hanged themselves on a roller blind.

Guess what - they breakaway when you roll the blind up (but are OK down).

Anyway - ebay to the rescue for some proper connectors:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290968897608
Top right - yes I know, 80p each - but what can you do??

And for anyone who does not know what I am talking about, this is the
crap useless item:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/k/261159298233

If I vote UKIP tonight, will they put a stop to this nonsense? Enquiring
minds want to know... ;-
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/05/2015 20:00, Tim Watts wrote:
Seen it all now...

Just bought a couple of made to measure roller blinds on the internet
and very nice they are too.

Except for one thing.

Heavy metal ball chain (no 10 gauge, aka 4.5mm balls) - good.
Ball chain connectors - special "breakaway" safety type because
apparently, somewhere, some numpty has hanged themselves on a roller blind.

Around two children a year die from hanging themselves on blind cords in
this country.

If I vote UKIP tonight, will they put a stop to this nonsense? Enquiring
minds want to know... ;-

Hopefully, even they wouldn't be that stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Unlikely, seeing as the latest prediction is that they will probably
only get one or two seats.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2015 20:15, GB wrote:
On 07/05/2015 20:00, Tim Watts wrote:
Seen it all now...

Just bought a couple of made to measure roller blinds on the internet
and very nice they are too.

Except for one thing.

Heavy metal ball chain (no 10 gauge, aka 4.5mm balls) - good.
Ball chain connectors - special "breakaway" safety type because
apparently, somewhere, some numpty has hanged themselves on a roller
blind.

Around two children a year die from hanging themselves on blind cords in
this country.

So, why not offer a child friendly break away version for those to whom
it matters and a stronger version for the rest of us?

If I vote UKIP tonight, will they put a stop to this nonsense? Enquiring
minds want to know... ;-

Hopefully, even they wouldn't be that stupid.

If Nigel thought it would get him an extra vote he might.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nightjar
writes
On 07/05/2015 20:15, GB wrote:

Around two children a year die from hanging themselves on blind cords in
this country.

So, why not offer a child friendly break away version for those to whom
it matters and a stronger version for the rest of us?

Surely the simplest solution is to supply one of each connector with
every roller blind sold?
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/15 20:15, GB wrote:
On 07/05/2015 20:00, Tim Watts wrote:
Seen it all now...

Just bought a couple of made to measure roller blinds on the internet
and very nice they are too.

Except for one thing.

Heavy metal ball chain (no 10 gauge, aka 4.5mm balls) - good.
Ball chain connectors - special "breakaway" safety type because
apparently, somewhere, some numpty has hanged themselves on a roller
blind.

Around two children a year die from hanging themselves on blind cords in
this country.

I'm guessing they are very young? In which case, common sense might say
"hang the chain out of reach"? Ironically right next to the chain is a
curtain cord in a loop with no breakaway option.

I'm not stupid - I put kiddy catches on a the cupboards with bleach in
and had stair gates. But beyond the age of 2 it seems unnecessary -
given that it makes the chain not actually functional.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/15 20:23, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:
On 07/05/2015 20:15, GB wrote:
On 07/05/2015 20:00, Tim Watts wrote:
Seen it all now...

Just bought a couple of made to measure roller blinds on the internet
and very nice they are too.

Except for one thing.

Heavy metal ball chain (no 10 gauge, aka 4.5mm balls) - good.
Ball chain connectors - special "breakaway" safety type because
apparently, somewhere, some numpty has hanged themselves on a roller
blind.

Around two children a year die from hanging themselves on blind cords in
this country.

So, why not offer a child friendly break away version for those to whom
it matters and a stronger version for the rest of us?

They could even fit the breakaway by default and include the 2p's worth
of regular connector with a little warning.

I think if the kids managed to get into a position where they could hang
themselves, they are more likely to fall out of the window in my case -
the chains are not that long.

If I vote UKIP tonight, will they put a stop to this nonsense? Enquiring
minds want to know... ;-

Hopefully, even they wouldn't be that stupid.

If Nigel thought it would get him an extra vote he might.

Quite probably
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/15 20:16, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:
[...]

I'm off to vote now... Not saying who...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/05/2015 20:23, Nightjar cpb@ wrote:

Around two children a year die from hanging themselves on blind cords in
this country.

So, why not offer a child friendly break away version for those to whom
it matters and a stronger version for the rest of us?

So, you can guarantee that no child will ever enter a particular house?
And that house will never be sold to someone with kids or grandkids?

Surely, what is needed is a breakaway version that works correctly.
That can't be impossible to design.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/05/2015 20:43, Tim Watts wrote:

Around two children a year die from hanging themselves on blind cords in
this country.

I'm guessing they are very young? In which case, common sense might say
"hang the chain out of reach"? Ironically right next to the chain is a
curtain cord in a loop with no breakaway option.

I'm not stupid - I put kiddy catches on a the cupboards with bleach in
and had stair gates. But beyond the age of 2 it seems unnecessary -
given that it makes the chain not actually functional.

You have my sympathy. You should not have been sold a non-working roller
blind. You should have been sold one that works AND is safe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2015 21:05, GB wrote:
On 07/05/2015 20:23, Nightjar cpb@ wrote:

Around two children a year die from hanging themselves on blind cords in
this country.

So, why not offer a child friendly break away version for those to whom
it matters and a stronger version for the rest of us?

So, you can guarantee that no child will ever enter a particular house?

I can be sure that no child is ever likely to enter my house while I am
alive.

And that house will never be sold to someone with kids or grandkids?

Child proofing a house is the responsibility of the person doing the
buying, not the one doing the selling. There would be a lot more than
just blind chains to worry about if somebody bought my house and wanted
to child proof it, like the original 1930s balustrades, which are far
enough apart that a small child could easily fall between them.

Surely, what is needed is a breakaway version that works correctly. That
can't be impossible to design.

Probably is, as the two requirements seem to be mutually exclusive.
However, a version that can be converted from one to the other quickly
and easily ought to be possible.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 May 2015 21:21:31 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:
On 07/05/2015 21:05, GB wrote:
On 07/05/2015 20:23, Nightjar cpb@ wrote:

I can be sure that no child is ever likely to enter my house while I am
alive.

dare i ask

Surely, what is needed is a breakaway version that works correctly. That
can't be impossible to design.

Probably is, as the two requirements seem to be mutually exclusive.
However, a version that can be converted from one to the other quickly
and easily ought to be possible.

use 2 tails rather than 1 loop, problem solved

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/15 21:05, GB wrote:
On 07/05/2015 20:23, Nightjar cpb@ wrote:

Around two children a year die from hanging themselves on blind cords in
this country.

So, why not offer a child friendly break away version for those to whom
it matters and a stronger version for the rest of us?

So, you can guarantee that no child will ever enter a particular house?
And that house will never be sold to someone with kids or grandkids?

Surely, what is needed is a breakaway version that works correctly. That
can't be impossible to design.

You might have thought so.

I am annoyed because for a couple of edge cases, I have a product that
fundamentally does not work.

But everyone's happy because "it's safe".

It's funny how we managed all these decades without.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/15 20:15, GB wrote:
On 07/05/2015 20:00, Tim Watts wrote:
Seen it all now...

Just bought a couple of made to measure roller blinds on the internet
and very nice they are too.

Except for one thing.

Heavy metal ball chain (no 10 gauge, aka 4.5mm balls) - good.
Ball chain connectors - special "breakaway" safety type because
apparently, somewhere, some numpty has hanged themselves on a roller
blind.

Around two children a year die from hanging themselves on blind cords in
this country.

How can we improve this?

Should be 200

If I vote UKIP tonight, will they put a stop to this nonsense? Enquiring
minds want to know... ;-

Hopefully, even they wouldn't be that stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/15 21:21, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:
On 07/05/2015 21:05, GB wrote:

So, you can guarantee that no child will ever enter a particular house?

I can be sure that no child is ever likely to enter my house while I am
alive.

I can be sure that no child will be unsupervised in my house beyond
their ability. I've had "egg hunts" in my garden with piles of wood with
rusty nails sticking out. Solution: assess the risk, put all the
dangerous crap over one side (it mostly was anyway) and lay my bright
yellow hose down with the rule "no going beyond the yellow hose".

I might rant like someone who thinks natural selection is a good idea,
but I'm not really (execpt in jest). I

I don't like being treated like an idiot and told I will have the cotton
wool option because some other people are too irresponsible to use their
heads.

And that house will never be sold to someone with kids or grandkids?

Child proofing a house is the responsibility of the person doing the
buying, not the one doing the selling. There would be a lot more than
just blind chains to worry about if somebody bought my house and wanted
to child proof it, like the original 1930s balustrades, which are far
enough apart that a small child could easily fall between them.

Totally agree. There's a difference between this silliness and good
building regs which might say "bannisters and barriers shall not pass a
100mm ball or whatever the test is" because that deals with a very
common case for not much inconvenience and certainly dies not make the
result non functional.

Surely, what is needed is a breakaway version that works correctly. That
can't be impossible to design.

Probably is, as the two requirements seem to be mutually exclusive.
However, a version that can be converted from one to the other quickly
and easily ought to be possible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar.me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote
GB wrote
Tim Watts wrote

Seen it all now...

Just bought a couple of made to measure roller
blinds on the internet and very nice they are too.

Except for one thing.

Heavy metal ball chain (no 10 gauge, aka 4.5mm balls) - good.
Ball chain connectors - special "breakaway" safety type because
apparently, somewhere, some numpty has hanged themselves
on a roller blind.

Around two children a year die from hanging
themselves on blind cords in this country.

So, why not offer a child friendly break away version for those
to whom it matters and a stronger version for the rest of us?

Presumably because you can't be sure who will have
visiting children who can end up hanging themselves etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar cpb@ wrote

Around two children a year die from hanging themselves on blind cords
in this country.

So, why not offer a child friendly break away version for those to whom
it matters and a stronger version for the rest of us?

So, you can guarantee that no child will ever enter a particular house?

I can be sure that no child is ever likely to enter my house while I am
alive.

No you can't, particularly when you are out of the country or in hospital
etc.

And even if you could, that is an irrelevant edge case anyway.

And that house will never be sold to someone with kids or grandkids?

Child proofing a house is the responsibility of the person doing the
buying, not the one doing the selling. There would be a lot more than just
blind chains to worry about if somebody bought my house and wanted to
child proof it, like the original 1930s balustrades, which are far enough
apart that a small child could easily fall between them.

Surely, what is needed is a breakaway version that works correctly. That
can't be impossible to design.

Probably is, as the two requirements seem to be mutually exclusive.

I doubt believe that.

However, a version that can be converted from one to the other quickly and
easily ought to be possible.

But quite dangerous for visiting children.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2015 22:22, Rod Speed wrote:
Nightjar.me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote
GB wrote
Nightjar cpb@ wrote

Around two children a year die from hanging themselves on blind
cords in this country.

So, why not offer a child friendly break away version for those to
whom it matters and a stronger version for the rest of us?

So, you can guarantee that no child will ever enter a particular house?

I can be sure that no child is ever likely to enter my house while I
am alive.

No you can't, particularly when you are out of the country or in
hospital etc...

Yes I can, unless they break in, when I don't see their safety as my
responsibility.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar.me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote in message
On 07/05/2015 22:22, Rod Speed wrote:
Nightjar.me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote
GB wrote
Nightjar cpb@ wrote

Around two children a year die from hanging themselves on blind
cords in this country.

So, why not offer a child friendly break away version for those to
whom it matters and a stronger version for the rest of us?

So, you can guarantee that no child will ever enter a particular house?

I can be sure that no child is ever likely to enter my house while I
am alive.

No you can't, particularly when you are out of the country or in
hospital etc...

Yes I can, unless they break in, when I don't see their safety as my
responsibility.

The law says otherwise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I do I got one with a blind at Wilkinson's. Spotting the two halves seemed
to be connected together with what looked liike a bit of double sided tape.
I superglued it before it could fall to bits. I was not aware it was a helth
and safety thing. if you tried to hang yourself from this cheap blind the
bracket would break long before you wer as much as finding it hard to breath
I fancy.
brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2015 22:42, Rod Speed wrote:

[...]

The law says I can't lay mantraps. It does not say I have to make my
house any safer for intruders than it is for me.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2015 20:40, News wrote:
In message , Nightjar
writes
On 07/05/2015 20:15, GB wrote:

Around two children a year die from hanging themselves on blind cords in
this country.

So, why not offer a child friendly break away version for those to
whom it matters and a stronger version for the rest of us?

Surely the simplest solution is to supply one of each connector with
every roller blind sold?

Or just superglue the breakaway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2015 23:07, Rod Speed wrote:

"Nightjar.me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote in message
On 07/05/2015 22:42, Rod Speed wrote:

It does not say I have to make my house any safer for intruders than
it is for me.

Wrong.

Perhaps you would like to give details of the UK law that requires me to
take more care for intruders than for myself?

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar.me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote in message
On 07/05/2015 23:07, Rod Speed wrote:

"Nightjar.me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote in message
On 07/05/2015 22:42, Rod Speed wrote:

It does not say I have to make my house any safer for intruders than
it is for me.

Wrong.

Perhaps you would like to give details of the UK law that requires me to
take more care for intruders than for myself?

You made the claim.

You get to provide the details.

Thats how it works.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2015 00:16, Rod Speed wrote:

"Nightjar.me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote in message
On 07/05/2015 23:07, Rod Speed wrote:

"Nightjar.me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote in message
On 07/05/2015 22:42, Rod Speed wrote:

It does not say I have to make my house any safer for intruders than
it is for me.

Wrong.

Perhaps you would like to give details of the UK law that requires me
to take more care for intruders than for myself?

You made the claim.

You get to provide the details.

Thats how it works.

I made the claim that there is no such requirement in law. I cannot
provide any details of a law that says there is, hence I have proven
what I claimed. You claim that is wrong, so it is now for you to prove
your claim.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar.me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote in message
On 08/05/2015 00:16, Rod Speed wrote:

"Nightjar.me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote in message
On 07/05/2015 23:07, Rod Speed wrote:

"Nightjar.me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote in message
On 07/05/2015 22:42, Rod Speed wrote:
It does not say I have to make my house any safer for intruders than
it is for me.

Wrong.

Perhaps you would like to give details of the UK law that requires me
to take more care for intruders than for myself?

You made the claim.

You get to provide the details.

Thats how it works.

I made the claim that there is no such requirement in law.

And you are wrong, most obviously with what the regulations
require with the electrical supply in a house where 'myself'
doesnt bother to use the bathroom at all and just washes
themselves in the kitchen sink.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

And with someone who never cooks at all and eats out all the time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Nightjar.me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote in message
On 07/05/2015 23:07, Rod Speed wrote:

"Nightjar.me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote in message
On 07/05/2015 22:42, Rod Speed wrote:

It does not say I have to make my house any safer for intruders than
it is for me.

Wrong.

Perhaps you would like to give details of the UK law that requires me to
take more care for intruders than for myself?

You made the claim.

You get to provide the details.

That's how it works.

You really are a ****wit, Wodney.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2015 00:50, Rod Speed wrote:

"Nightjar.me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote in message
On 08/05/2015 00:16, Rod Speed wrote:

"Nightjar.me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote in message
On 07/05/2015 23:07, Rod Speed wrote:

"Nightjar.me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote in message
On 07/05/2015 22:42, Rod Speed wrote:
It does not say I have to make my house any safer for intruders than
it is for me.

Wrong.

Perhaps you would like to give details of the UK law that requires me
to take more care for intruders than for myself?

You made the claim.

You get to provide the details.

Thats how it works.

I made the claim that there is no such requirement in law.

And you are wrong

It is up to you to prove or your assertion "the law says otherwise" is
meaningless.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2015 20:00, Tim Watts wrote:
Seen it all now...

Just bought a couple of made to measure roller blinds on the internet
and very nice they are too.

Except for one thing.

Heavy metal ball chain (no 10 gauge, aka 4.5mm balls) - good.
Ball chain connectors - special "breakaway" safety type because
apparently, somewhere, some numpty has hanged themselves on a roller blind.

Guess what - they breakaway when you roll the blind up (but are OK down).

Anyway - ebay to the rescue for some proper connectors:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290968897608
Top right - yes I know, 80p each - but what can you do??

And for anyone who does not know what I am talking about, this is the
crap useless item:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/k/261159298233

All blinds come with cleats or chain loops these days to prevent kids
hanging themselves. On a £10 Argos blind they are a waste of time, the
slightest force would break the flimsy chain or the equally flimsy
mechanism, or snap the cardboard tube.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2015 00:52, Rod Speed wrote:
And you are wrong, most obviously with what the regulations
require with the electrical supply in a house where 'myself'
doesnt bother to use the bathroom at all and just washes
themselves in the kitchen sink.

And with someone who never cooks at all and eats out all the time.

What on earth are you wittering on about?

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar.me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote in message
On 08/05/2015 00:52, Rod Speed wrote:
And you are wrong, most obviously with what the regulations
require with the electrical supply in a house where 'myself'
doesnt bother to use the bathroom at all and just washes
themselves in the kitchen sink.

And with someone who never cooks at all and eats out all the time.

What on earth are you wittering on about?

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

You still have to comply with the regulations in those areas
even if you will not personally use what is regulated yourself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 May 2015 21:40:10 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

But everyone's happy because "it's safe".

It's funny how we managed all these decades without.

It's called "coomon sense" that is becoming anything but common.

Health & Safety is positive feed back loop. The more you protect
people from their own stupidity the less they are aware of hazards so
you need more Health & Safety to protect them from their own
stupidity...

Any "cord" has the abilty to strangle from the umbilical cord as No.1
Daughter attempted to demostrate, onwards.

Is it not "common sense" to a) tell small chidren that puting things
around their neck is not a good idea and for the really littlies
removing it when they do. b) remove or place out of reach hanging
down loops of cord etc when small children are present.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , bm
escribió:

You really are a ****wit, Wodney.

Yep. Now posting as "Jacko"

Anther one for the killfile.

--
:: je suis Charlie :: yo soy Charlie :: ik ben Charlie ::
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
Seen it all now...

Just bought a couple of made to measure roller blinds on the internet
and very nice they are too.

Except for one thing.

Heavy metal ball chain (no 10 gauge, aka 4.5mm balls) - good.
Ball chain connectors - special "breakaway" safety type because
apparently, somewhere, some numpty has hanged themselves on a roller blind.

Guess what - they breakaway when you roll the blind up (but are OK down).

Anyway - ebay to the rescue for some proper connectors:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290968897608
Top right - yes I know, 80p each - but what can you do??

And for anyone who does not know what I am talking about, this is the
crap useless item:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/k/261159298233

If I vote UKIP tonight, will they put a stop to this nonsense? Enquiring
minds want to know... ;-

Elf and safety? may be you should make helmets mandatory to use a ladder.
http://tinyurl.com/luwlzpr
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2015 21:05, GB wrote:
On 07/05/2015 20:23, Nightjar cpb@ wrote:

I can be sure that no child is ever likely to enter my house while I am
alive.

dare i ask

Entirely a matter of the age of my likely visitors. I suppose that,
technically, if my partner's son visited and bought his son with him,
there could be a child in the house. However, at 17, I would expect him
not accidentally to hang himself on the roller blind loop.

I knew someone that died this way at 16. He was pratting about exiting through the window, maybe trying to imitate a 70s cop series. I was never clear how he ended up being strangled by the cord, but he was.

Surely, what is needed is a breakaway version that works correctly. That
can't be impossible to design.

Probably is, as the two requirements seem to be mutually exclusive.
However, a version that can be converted from one to the other quickly
and easily ought to be possible.

use 2 tails rather than 1 loop, problem solved

It would, however, create another problem - that of very long tails
lying around on the floor and, no doubt, creating a trip hazard.

Last one I saw used a smaller plastic pulley for the tails than the blind, nothing ever need reach the floor.

NT

OT Health and Safety george [dicegeorge] UK diy 0 February 28th 11 07:47 PM
Health and Safety and Sky Installers ARWadsworth UK diy 52 September 24th 10 08:31 AM
Health & Safety? Not here John UK diy 3 March 9th 09 09:04 PM
Health & Safety gone too far...? Grumpy owd man UK diy 5 January 17th 06 08:04 AM
Health and safety. A tip from the wise (er) Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) UK diy 41 July 17th 05 10:43 PM