Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default #*?#@?!! health and bloody safety

On 07/05/2015 21:40, Tim Watts wrote:

So, you can guarantee that no child will ever enter a particular house?
And that house will never be sold to someone with kids or grandkids?

Surely, what is needed is a breakaway version that works correctly. That
can't be impossible to design.

You might have thought so.

I am annoyed because for a couple of edge cases, I have a product that
fundamentally does not work.

It's more than a couple of cutting edge cases, though. It's two
avoidable deaths a year on average. You should not have a non-working
product, but it's wrong to deny that there's an issue that the
non-working-ness is trying very badly to address.

But everyone's happy because "it's safe".

It's funny how we managed all these decades without.

We had far fewer of these sorts of blinds IIRC a few decades ago. But
more recently we've been 'managing' with two funerals a year.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Around two children a year die from hanging themselves on blind cords in
this country.

How can we improve this?

Should be 200

An annual cull, maybe?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/15 14:37, GB wrote:
[...]

I am not wholly convinced - I recall plenty of roller blinds when I was
a kid.

Whilst any death is sad, if you wanted to solve a problem, you'd start
with the roads as there are 1000s of deaths each year.

With blinds, I rather feel it would be more useful to put in a bit of
red printed paper and a self adhesive hook that reminds people that
blind chains can choke tiny kids and to either shorten the chain out of
reach or hang out of reach when not in use.

It's very hard to make a breakaway device that will give way when
perhaps 10lbs of kid is hanging off it and yet does not break when you
need to give it a stiff tug. I think it's a doomed exercise.

Plastic bags kill - and they have warnings which reminds people who
don't think without causing problems for those who do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 08/05/2015 14:45, Tim Watts wrote:

It's funny how we managed all these decades without.

We had far fewer of these sorts of blinds IIRC a few decades ago. But
more recently we've been 'managing' with two funerals a year.

I am not wholly convinced - I recall plenty of roller blinds when I was
a kid.

The ones we had used a single fairly short cord in the middle. That is a
lot safer than the cords from a venetian blind or the type you are
talking about.

Whilst any death is sad, if you wanted to solve a problem, you'd start
with the roads as there are 1000s of deaths each year.

It is just about conceivable that somebody has done an analysis to see
which is more cost effective.

With blinds, I rather feel it would be more useful to put in a bit of
red printed paper and a self adhesive hook that reminds people that
blind chains can choke tiny kids and to either shorten the chain out of
reach or hang out of reach when not in use.

It's very hard to make a breakaway device that will give way when
perhaps 10lbs of kid is hanging off it and yet does not break when you
need to give it a stiff tug. I think it's a doomed exercise.

Yes, you really need to start with a blind mechanism that runs pretty
freely, yet stays put the rest of the time. Clearly, shortening the
chain is a good option for the time being, though.

Plastic bags kill - and they have warnings which reminds people who
don't think without causing problems for those who do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 08/05/15 14:37, GB wrote:
[...]

That one is much harder to do something about and has been
started with anyway, particularly with child seats in cars.

With blinds, I rather feel it would be more useful to put in a bit of red
printed paper and a self adhesive hook that reminds people that blind
chains can choke tiny kids and to either shorten the chain out of reach or
hang out of reach when not in use.

That approach has the problem that it is so easy to forget to do it.

It's very hard to make a breakaway device that will give way when perhaps
10lbs of kid is hanging off it and yet does not break when you need to
give it a stiff tug. I think it's a doomed exercise.

It shouldnt be hard to do one that is easy to put
back together if the stiff tug sees it come apart.

Plastic bags kill - and they have warnings which reminds people who don't
think without causing problems for those who do.

Because there is no practical alternative.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB writes:

Around two children a year die from hanging themselves on blind cords in
this country.

How can we improve this?

Should be 200

An annual cull, maybe?

Not enough. Slightly more than 3 new people are born every second. For
a long time I've been suggesting a 'Stop the Children' fund, but I can
see that the idea is unappealing so my cause is hopeless.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 May 2015 20:54:37 UTC+1, Jacko wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 08/05/15 14:37, GB wrote:
[...]

There is, bags of platic netting. No suffocation risk.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 08/05/15 14:37, GB wrote:
[...]

There is,

No.

bags of platic netting.

No use for keeping new stuff pristine.

No suffocation risk.

Sure, but no use for keeping what is inside it pristine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2015 12:53, wrote:

There is, bags of platic netting. No suffocation risk.

They choke on them instead.

OT Health and Safety george [dicegeorge] UK diy 0 February 28th 11 07:47 PM
Health and Safety and Sky Installers ARWadsworth UK diy 52 September 24th 10 08:31 AM
Health & Safety? Not here John UK diy 3 March 9th 09 09:04 PM
Health & Safety gone too far...? Grumpy owd man UK diy 5 January 17th 06 08:04 AM
Health and safety. A tip from the wise (er) Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) UK diy 41 July 17th 05 10:43 PM