Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Default Health and safety. A tip from the wise (er)

When laying laminate flooring, pick up all the spare pieces off the floor
before walking around with a cheapy 5Kg SDS in your hand.

They make great skateboards. :-)

Franko

"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote in message
. ..
When laying laminate flooring, pick up all the spare pieces off the floor
before walking around with a cheapy 5Kg SDS in your hand.

They make great skateboards. :-)

And don't balance a claw hammer precariously on a shaver light directly over
a newly installed china bathroom basin :-(

Christian McArdle

When laying laminate flooring, pick up all the spare pieces off the
floor before walking around with a cheapy 5Kg SDS in your hand.

I find it very useful not to forget that you've moved the concrete blocks
you've been using as a step all morning, especially when stepping off an
450mm high platform.

Christian.

brugnospamsia

"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote in message
. ..
When laying laminate flooring, pick up all the spare pieces off the floor
before walking around with a cheapy 5Kg SDS in your hand.

They make great skateboards. :-)

and if you spot your battery drill sitting in the kitchen doorway with drill
bit fitted and think to yourself "I'm likely to kick that sooner or later",
you probably will, and with bare feet, and the pointy end .....

mike ring

"brugnospamsia" wrote in
. uk:

and if you spot your battery drill sitting in the kitchen doorway with
drill bit fitted and think to yourself "I'm likely to kick that
sooner or later", you probably will, and with bare feet, and the
pointy end .....

And if you've got a cheapo blowlamp without spark ignition that you leave
going behind you for a moment in the bathroom while you offer up a bit of
pipework - bin it right away and get a sparky one and turn it off *every*
time...

mike

Picker

When you're outside burning off old paint from a sash window with a propane
gas heat gun - make sure that the curtains inside have been taken down.

T i m

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 10:11:14 GMT, "Picker"
wrote:

When you're outside burning off old paint from a sash window with a propane
gas heat gun - make sure that the curtains inside have been taken down.

lol ..

Why *do* we do these things .. we *know* the potential consequences
(I think I've done all mentioned in the thread so far) yet we still
manage to do them .. ;-(

I still own / use the 3' high set of wooden steps that I fell off and
broke my leg when I was a kid ..! I mean it wasn't the steps fault as
such .. but I think there's something evil about them .. shudder.

And why when showing my daughter just *how* sharp the new craft knife
I bought her was, how did I end up cutting myself (well it made her
laugh anyway) sigh.

How many times have we had that 'if that slips that's gonna hurt'
thought (but we carry on fiddling with the grenade anyway? Ah, just me
then ..) ;-(

All the best .. and keep safe ;-)

T i m

Franko

After laying the first sheet of chipboard in the loft - try to resist the
temptation to step back and admire your handiwork !

andrewpreece

Before nailing down that last floorboard down, check that you've got all
the tools you took down there present and accounted for....

Andy.

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , andrewpreece
wrote:

Before nailing down that last floorboard down, check that you've got all
the tools you took down there present and accounted for....

Plus a quick head count of the cats of the house.

Chip

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:22:26 +0100,it is alleged that "Andy Luckman
(AJL Electronics)" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

In article , andrewpreece
wrote:

Before nailing down that last floorboard down, check that you've got all
the tools you took down there present and accounted for....

Plus a quick head count of the cats of the house.

That doesn't always work though g

8 months ago I was staying with a friend in Canada and was helping to
pay for my stay by partly remodeling the house for sale. We had all
cats accounted for before closing up the basement ceiling after
rewiring the lights.

One of the cats subsequently went totally insane trying to dig through
the drywall to get into the ceiling to feed her 3 kittens that we had
NO idea she'd had :-O (being only 3 kittens and _that_ kind of cat,
she hadn't shown symptoms of being with child.

All ended well though, all 3 kittens survived, and so did the ceiling
after some patching where I had to cut a slab of it out to get to the
kittens.

--
"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something
about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is

Franko wrote:
After laying the first sheet of chipboard in the loft - try to resist the
temptation to step back and admire your handiwork !

Lol! Did that by any chance leave the mystery admirer now looking up,
admiring some more handiwork?

NT

Franko

wrote in message
oups.com...
Franko wrote:
After laying the first sheet of chipboard in the loft - try to resist the
temptation to step back and admire your handiwork !

Lol! Did that by any chance leave the mystery admirer now looking up,
admiring some more handiwork?

NT

Almost! It left me looking at a sore back, bruised head, gashed leg and
almost every other part of my body aching

The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Before nailing down that last floorboard down, check that you've got all
the tools you took down there present and accounted for....

Plus a quick head count of the cats of the house.

haha.

I plastered a whole bottle of PVA into a stud wall once....

Owain

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Before nailing down that last floorboard down, check that you've got all
the tools you took down there present and accounted for....

Plus a quick head count of the cats of the house.

haha.
I plastered a whole bottle of PVA into a stud wall once....

Heard of someone who bricked up a transistor radio.

Whilst it was playing...

Owain

Christian McArdle

Heard of someone who bricked up a transistor radio.

Whilst it was playing...

I hope it wasn't plugged in!

Christian.

OldBill

mike ring wrote:
"brugnospamsia" wrote in
. uk:

and if you spot your battery drill sitting in the kitchen doorway with
drill bit fitted and think to yourself "I'm likely to kick that
sooner or later", you probably will, and with bare feet, and the
pointy end .....

And if you've got a cheapo blowlamp without spark ignition that you leave
going behind you for a moment in the bathroom while you offer up a bit of
pipework - bin it right away and get a sparky one and turn it off *every*
time...

mike

A few years ago someone did that in the roof of the then DEC building in
Basingstoke. Took out the whole building which eventually cost the
fireservice £10M because they didn't get there quick enough. Dunno what
happened to the guy with the blowlamp; off making havoc elsewhere probably.
OldBill

Owain wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Before nailing down that last floorboard down, check that you've got
all
the tools you took down there present and accounted for....

Plus a quick head count of the cats of the house.

haha.
I plastered a whole bottle of PVA into a stud wall once....

Heard of someone who bricked up a transistor radio.

Whilst it was playing...

Owain

Thats nothing to what been found in space in aircraft.
An inspector's stool was found in one tailfin when the skin was taken
off sometime later. Torches potentially jamming controls under floors ar
another one.
Aidan

Christian McArdle wrote:
Heard of someone who bricked up a transistor radio.

Whilst it was playing...

See;

http://forums.invision.net/Thread.cf...essage114 167

Owain wrote:
Thats nothing to what been found in space in aircraft.
An inspector's stool was found in one tailfin when the skin

I shouldn't ask, but do you mean a seat, or something else? Did it have
his initals on it?

PC Paul

"OldBill" wrote in message

Thats nothing to what been found in space in aircraft.
An inspector's stool was found in one tailfin when the skin was taken off
sometime later. Torches potentially jamming controls under floors ar
another one.

http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20010409S0001 - A server found
walled up at a university that nobody had noticed missing (because it was
working perfectly) for several years. Obviously not running Windows!

Other Urban Legendish stories abound, including a Navy engineer examining
battleship plans and noticing a space with no access panels. He eventually
cut through the walls with a torch and found a fully equipped machine shop -
untouched since the thing was built 20 years before and a cockup in the
plans removed the doors..

mike ring

OldBill wrote in
:

And if you've got a cheapo blowlamp without spark ignition that you
leave going behind you for a moment in the bathroom while you offer
up a bit of pipework - bin it right away and get a sparky one and
turn it off *every* time...

mike

A few years ago someone did that in the roof of the then DEC building
in Basingstoke. Took out the whole building which eventually cost the
fireservice £10M because they didn't get there quick enough. Dunno
what happened to the guy with the blowlamp; off making havoc elsewhere
probably.

*This* guy nearly burned his foot off at the ankle ;-((

mike

On 12/07/2005 20:22 OldBill wrote:

Thats nothing to what been found in space in aircraft.

Or on a road.

Drivers on one road in the US couldn't understand why there should be a
large hump on their newly resurfaced road. Until the highways dept.
investigated and found that the resurfacing gang hadn't spotted a newly
dead moose...

OldBill

Owain wrote:
Thats nothing to what been found in space in aircraft.
An inspector's stool was found in one tailfin when the skin

I shouldn't ask, but do you mean a seat, or something else? Did it have
his initals on it?

No it was a wooden stool, kind of thing you'd use at a breakfast bar.
There was a picture in the CAA report that covered these cases.
Christian McArdle

Other Urban Legendish stories abound, including a Navy engineer examining
battleship plans and noticing a space with no access panels. He eventually
cut through the walls with a torch and found a fully equipped machine

shop -
untouched since the thing was built 20 years before and a cockup in the
plans removed the doors..

There's a railway line in China that is dead straight, except for an
inexplicable curved detour half way between two cities. This is because when
the big cheese was asked for the route for the new line, he took out a ruler
and drew a straight line, except for the bump where his finger protruded
from the straight edge.

I presume this one must be an urban legend, unless someone knows
otherwise...

Christian.

Doctor Evil

"Aidan" wrote in message
oups.com...

Christian McArdle wrote:
Heard of someone who bricked up a transistor radio.

Whilst it was playing...

See;

http://forums.invision.net/Thread.cf...67&_#Message11
4167

I came across a gas pressure gauge still connected to the meter via the
rubber tube. It had been there since the house was converted to natural
gas - 10 years before. The water was still there in the gauge as well, and
had not evaporated.

raden

In message , Christian
McArdle writes
Other Urban Legendish stories abound, including a Navy engineer examining
battleship plans and noticing a space with no access panels. He eventually
cut through the walls with a torch and found a fully equipped machine

shop -
untouched since the thing was built 20 years before and a cockup in the
plans removed the doors..

There's a railway line in China that is dead straight, except for an
inexplicable curved detour half way between two cities. This is because when
the big cheese was asked for the route for the new line, he took out a ruler
and drew a straight line, except for the bump where his finger protruded
from the straight edge.

I presume this one must be an urban legend, unless someone knows
otherwise...

Sounds a bit like the one I heard about when they were designing Telford
- the tracing paper slipped, which is why all the roundabouts are so big

--
geoff
Ian Johnston

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:07:08 UTC, Rob Morley
wrote:

: I thought it was so they could have a mini nature reserve in the
: middle of each one - lots of nice trees in Telford (in the bits where
: I've been anyway).

I am told that the new stand at Worcester racecourse was built in the
wrong place, and they had to move the racecourse to pass in front of
it...

Ian

Doctor Evil

wrote:

: I thought it was so they could have a mini nature reserve in the
: middle of each one - lots of nice trees in Telford (in the bits where
: I've been anyway).

I am told that the new stand at Worcester racecourse was built in the
wrong place, and they had to move the racecourse to pass in front of
it...

A building, built in the 1950/60s at Manchester uni, was built the wrong way
around. It was clear the large main entrance faced the back.

Ian White

raden wrote:
I presume this one must be an urban legend, unless someone knows
otherwise...

Sounds a bit like the one I heard about when they were designing
Telford - the tracing paper slipped, which is why all the roundabouts
are so big

Drawn in centimetres, built in inches?

--
Ian White
Ian Johnston

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:20:18 UTC, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

: A building, built in the 1950/60s at Manchester uni, was built the wrong way
: around. It was clear the large main entrance faced the back.

Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum has two fronts and no back. Though
there's a good reason: it was built for the Empire Exhibition which
was in Kelvingrove Park, which is "behind" the building, so they put a
front on that side too.

Ian

Aidan

Doctor Evil wrote:

I came across a gas pressure gauge still connected to the meter via the
rubber tube. It had been there since the house was converted to natural
gas - 10 years before.

I am surprised that they let you into the house again. It must have
been nice to get your gauge back; hadn't you missed it?

Mary Fisher

"Ian White" wrote in message
raden wrote:
I presume this one must be an urban legend, unless someone knows
otherwise...

Sounds a bit like the one I heard about when they were designing Telford -
the tracing paper slipped, which is why all the roundabouts are so big

Drawn in centimetres, built in inches?

The story goes that the Leeds Olympic Pool was a centimetre or so too short
to qualify.

But press stories are just that, I never measured it so can't be certain. We
never got the Olympics here though and the pool is now closed so that's one
less attraction for 2012.

I hope.

sorry - wrong thread...

Mary

--
Ian White

Rob Morley

In article , " me9
@privacy.net says...
On 14 Jul,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

The story goes that the Leeds Olympic Pool was a centimetre or so too short
to qualify.

The timing pads are about a centimetre thick. They forgot to allow for them.

It really wouldn't take that much effort to remove half an inch over
the area that the pads cover, would it?

Mary Fisher

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article , " me9
@privacy.net says...
On 14 Jul,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

The story goes that the Leeds Olympic Pool was a centimetre or so too
short
to qualify.

The timing pads are about a centimetre thick. They forgot to allow for
them.

It really wouldn't take that much effort to remove half an inch over
the area that the pads cover, would it?

I think the builder or architect or developer or something was T
DanSmith/Poulson.

But someone's bound to correct me and then you'll know for certain.

Mary.

Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:04:42 +0100, Rob Morley wrote:

The timing pads are about a centimetre thick. They forgot to allow
for them.

It really wouldn't take that much effort to remove half an inch over
the area that the pads cover, would it?

But then the pool would be 5.4mm to long!

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Mary Fisher

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:04:42 +0100, Rob Morley wrote:

The timing pads are about a centimetre thick. They forgot to allow
for them.

It really wouldn't take that much effort to remove half an inch over
the area that the pads cover, would it?

But then the pool would be 5.4mm to long!

Can't take half an inch off a metric pool anyway - The Authorities wouldn't
allow it.

Mary

SAFETY WARNING! Badger UK diy 5 July 4th 05 08:53 AM
A Handy Tip For Gorrilla Glue Users Charley Woodworking 118 March 15th 05 09:18 PM
Is it safe for kids to take apart electronics? momwithtools Electronics Repair 64 March 1st 05 08:15 AM
Nice write up about LEDs Gunner Metalworking 242 June 13th 04 04:10 PM
Safety hammers? Sasha Klamp UK diy 24 March 24th 04 11:29 PM