Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default #*?#@?!! health and bloody safety

On 07/05/15 20:15, GB wrote:
On 07/05/2015 20:00, Tim Watts wrote:
Seen it all now...

Just bought a couple of made to measure roller blinds on the internet
and very nice they are too.

Except for one thing.

Heavy metal ball chain (no 10 gauge, aka 4.5mm balls) - good.
Ball chain connectors - special "breakaway" safety type because
apparently, somewhere, some numpty has hanged themselves on a roller
blind.

Around two children a year die from hanging themselves on blind cords in
this country.

I'm guessing they are very young? In which case, common sense might say
"hang the chain out of reach"? Ironically right next to the chain is a
curtain cord in a loop with no breakaway option.

I'm not stupid - I put kiddy catches on a the cupboards with bleach in
and had stair gates. But beyond the age of 2 it seems unnecessary -
given that it makes the chain not actually functional.