Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Water and human proof bell push needed

Well says it all. I have a little door phone and after about 6 months trying
to keep the call/bell button has been abandoned in favour of an old bell
push I found in a drawer with a Woolworths price tag on it. This is wired so
it shorts the intercom cable as the original failed one which consisted of
some tacky little push switch on a pcb glued in with heat glue. the Woolies
on is your basic two brass bits sprung apart and a plastic button to short
them together.
Tis worked fine till one of two things happened. Firstly, its not
waterproof and when its really wet, it shorts enough to make the bell sound
or make silly whining noises leaving the amp running with clicks and groans.
Or, the local cold caller or whoever who seems to have been studying finger
karate, squishes it so much the prongs stay shorted out when the finger is
removed.
Most bell pushes seem to still be of this type. I had no idea of the
stringent needs of a bell push in this environment before, so wondered if
anyone else had any bright ideas?
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian-Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

I gave up replacing my bell push a decade ago because of that problem....if
anybody knows a reliable type though .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2015 07:46, Brian-Gaff wrote:
[...]

I seem to recall those old type of bell pushes that seemed to always
work come rain or shine. I mean the white coloured ceramic buttons
encased in brass, that you used to see outside old buildings.
I don't know if they are still available or not.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff wrote:

I had no idea of the stringent needs of a bell push in this
environment before, so wondered if anyone else had any bright ideas?

My Friedland D723 seems to been built to keep the weather away from the
contacts, perhaps you want one without illumination such as the D824 to
suit use with a doorphone? Only two or three quid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2015 07:53, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Brian-Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

I've given up on buying wireless door bells. The bell pushes seem to go
dicky after about a year. So I'm looking around for a simple old
fashioned "bzz bbzz" sounding bell with a *wired* connection.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2015 07:58, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian-Gaff wrote:

I had no idea of the stringent needs of a bell push in this
environment before, so wondered if anyone else had any bright ideas?

My Friedland D723 seems to been built to keep the weather away from the
contacts, perhaps you want one without illumination such as the D824 to
suit use with a doorphone? Only two or three quid.

Is that a wireless or wired bell push?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian-Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

Use a proper hall effect switch so that it can be completely waterproof
and it doesn’t matter what anyone pressing it does with the magnet
on the button short of attacking it with a hammer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 May 2015 07:53:07 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Brian-Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

Some DIY with a magnet and a reed switch...I know there may be a current
problem, but that's just another DIY solution. My bell push only has to
take a fraction of an amp...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2015 07:55, Bod wrote:
[...]

Try this for a traditional bell that always works and has big chunky
batteries

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151251036496

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I think it is an inherent property of bell pushes that the fail quickly.
I once built one using an industrial vandal resistant and water proof
push switch, which worked fine for years on machinery. As a bell push,
inside a porch, it stopped working after about two years.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

removed.
Most bell pushes seem to still be of this type. I had no idea of the
stringent needs of a bell push in this environment before, so
wondered if
anyone else had any bright ideas?
Brian

I seem to recall those old type of bell pushes that seemed to always
work come rain or shine. I mean the white coloured ceramic buttons
encased in brass, that you used to see outside old buildings.
I don't know if they are still available or not.

Try this for a traditional bell that always works and has big chunky
batteries

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151251036496

Thanks for the link, but even that bell push looks like the standard
rubbishy ones (I could well be wrong though).
Have you any experience of this one, by any chance?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff wrote:
[...]

Google for vandal proof push buttons. RS certainly used to have some
very well made ones and not stupid money either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 May 2015 09:42:18 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

Brian-Gaff wrote:
[...]

What I'd like is a reasonably priced external door phone. One that is a
'normally wired' phone , but will dial a preset number when the button is
pressed, and has a grille for mic and speaker (i.e. just a box). They all
seem to be really stupid prices.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar.me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote in message
[...]

I just don’t believe that its not possible to do one that will last for
decades.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

My Friedland D723 seems to been built to keep the weather away from the
contacts

Is that a wireless or wired bell push?

A wired one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Most bell pushes seem to still be of this type. I had no idea of the
stringent needs of a bell push in this environment before, so
wondered if
anyone else had any bright ideas?
Brian

I think it is an inherent property of bell pushes that the fail
quickly. I once built one using an industrial vandal resistant and
water proof push switch, which worked fine for years on machinery. As
a bell push, inside a porch, it stopped working after about two years.

I just don’t believe that its not possible to do one that will last for
decades.

I remember that bell pushes used to be very reliable and rarely went wrong.
Todays bell pushes are probably designed with built in obsolescence.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod explained on 07/05/2015 :
removed.
Most bell pushes seem to still be of this type. I had no idea of the
stringent needs of a bell push in this environment before, so
wondered if
anyone else had any bright ideas?
Brian

I seem to recall those old type of bell pushes that seemed to always
work come rain or shine. I mean the white coloured ceramic buttons
encased in brass, that you used to see outside old buildings.
I don't know if they are still available or not.

Try this for a traditional bell that always works and has big chunky
batteries

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151251036496

Thanks for the link, but even that bell push looks like the standard rubbishy
ones (I could well be wrong though).
Have you any experience of this one, by any chance?

You are correct, they are just the standard rubbishy ones. I suppose
you could entirely fill the push with silicon grease, to help exclude
the water?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bod" wrote in message

Most bell pushes seem to still be of this type. I had no idea of the
stringent needs of a bell push in this environment before, so
wondered if
anyone else had any bright ideas?
Brian

I think it is an inherent property of bell pushes that the fail
quickly. I once built one using an industrial vandal resistant and
water proof push switch, which worked fine for years on machinery. As
a bell push, inside a porch, it stopped working after about two years.

I just don’t believe that its not possible to do one that will last for
decades.

I remember that bell pushes used to be very reliable and rarely went
wrong.

Yes.

Todays bell pushes are probably designed with built in obsolescence.

Nope. Its perfectly possible to buy ones that last for decades.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2015 11:07, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Yebbut, we should expect an external doorbell to be waterproof.
I don't think that is asking too much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've never seen an actual door bell push which is truly waterproof. But
you can buy waterproof push switches from the likes of RS, etc. Maybe not
quite so attractive, though.

--
*A person who smiles in the face of adversity probably has a scapegoat *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2015 11:21, Rod Speed wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, but the standard plasticky ones *all* seem to be not waterproof.
I know, I've probably had about 6 or 7 go wrong in the last 10 years or
so. We've even got a canopy over our door.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've never seen an actual door bell push which is truly waterproof. But
you can buy waterproof push switches from the likes of RS, etc. Maybe not
quite so attractive, though.

Ok, thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote

I've never seen an actual door bell push which is truly waterproof.

I have.

But you can buy waterproof push switches from the likes of RS, etc.

And it is trivially easy to make one yourself.

Maybe not quite so attractive, though.

Trivially easy to make it look any way you like.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bod" wrote in message

[...]

Sure, but this is a DIY group.

I built the entire house from scratch on a bare block of land.

A bell push is quite a bit easier than that.

I know, I've probably had about 6 or 7 go wrong in the last 10 years or
so. We've even got a canopy over our door.

Then you should make one yourself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod formulated the question :
Yes, but the standard plasticky ones *all* seem to be not waterproof.
I know, I've probably had about 6 or 7 go wrong in the last 10 years or so.
We've even got a canopy over our door.

Weather-proofing is not I think the main issue - It is over
enthusiastic button pushers. If they push the button and get no noise
as feedback, they tend to try again and push even harder.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, but the standard plasticky ones *all* seem to be not waterproof.

Sure, but this is a DIY group.

I built the entire house from scratch on a bare block of land.

A bell push is quite a bit easier than that.

I know, I've probably had about 6 or 7 go wrong in the last 10 years
or so. We've even got a canopy over our door.

Then you should make one yourself.

I could do, but I want an illuminated one. They only cost a few quid so
not worth the bother.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2015 11:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Bod formulated the question :
Yes, but the standard plasticky ones *all* seem to be not waterproof.
I know, I've probably had about 6 or 7 go wrong in the last 10 years
or so. We've even got a canopy over our door.

Weather-proofing is not I think the main issue - It is over enthusiastic
button pushers. If they push the button and get no noise as feedback,
they tend to try again and push even harder.

There's that to it as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 May 2015 12:22:59 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 07/05/2015 11:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Bod formulated the question :
Yes, but the standard plasticky ones *all* seem to be not waterproof.
I know, I've probably had about 6 or 7 go wrong in the last 10 years
or so. We've even got a canopy over our door.

Weather-proofing is not I think the main issue - It is over
enthusiastic button pushers. If they push the button and get no noise
as feedback, they tend to try again and push even harder.

There's that to it as well.

I was wondering about a small speaker above the door. On pressing the
button, the bells would sound in the house, but outside, a voice would
intone "The bell has been activated".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2015 13:09, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 07 May 2015 12:22:59 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 07/05/2015 11:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Bod formulated the question :
Yes, but the standard plasticky ones *all* seem to be not waterproof.
I know, I've probably had about 6 or 7 go wrong in the last 10 years
or so. We've even got a canopy over our door.

Weather-proofing is not I think the main issue - It is over
enthusiastic button pushers. If they push the button and get no noise
as feedback, they tend to try again and push even harder.

There's that to it as well.

I was wondering about a small speaker above the door. On pressing the
button, the bells would sound in the house, but outside, a voice would
intone "The bell has been activated".

"The sirius cybernetics corporation thanks you for being gentle to this
bell-push"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2015 13:09, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 07 May 2015 12:22:59 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 07/05/2015 11:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Bod formulated the question :
Yes, but the standard plasticky ones *all* seem to be not waterproof.
I know, I've probably had about 6 or 7 go wrong in the last 10 years
or so. We've even got a canopy over our door.

Weather-proofing is not I think the main issue - It is over
enthusiastic button pushers. If they push the button and get no noise
as feedback, they tend to try again and push even harder.

There's that to it as well.

I was wondering about a small speaker above the door. On pressing the
button, the bells would sound in the house, but outside, a voice would
intone "The bell has been activated".

Or "Stop pressing the bloody bell! I'm coming!"

Seriously though, it's an idea or even just the sound of the bell
so the bell pusher can hear it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 May 2015 13:14:08 +0100, newshound wrote:

[...]

Like!

Avpx

--
....stones that were missing him by inches and in some cases, hitting
him by kilograms.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
I've never seen an actual door bell push which is truly waterproof.

I have.

Post a link to one, then.

Certainly not going to just take your word for it.

--
*Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 May 2015 13:20:44 +0100, Bod wrote:

[...]

I have been seriously considering it. The bell push (as regulars may
remember) rings all of the phones in the house with a special cadence.
(a) it isn't very audible outside and (b) the caller may not realise it's
the "bell". I have spare pairs to the front door so I'm putting it on the
list...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2015 10:16, Rod Speed wrote:

"Nightjar.me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote in message

I think it is an inherent property of bell pushes that the fail
quickly. I once built one using an industrial vandal resistant and
water proof push switch, which worked fine for years on machinery. As
a bell push, inside a porch, it stopped working after about two years.

I just don’t believe that its not possible to do one that will last for
decades.

That's what I thought too. I can build control systems for three phase
machinery that survive ham-fisted apprentices and streams of coolant.
How difficult could a bell push be?

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2015 10:16, Rod Speed wrote:

"Nightjar.me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote in message

I think it is an inherent property of bell pushes that the fail
quickly. I once built one using an industrial vandal resistant and
water proof push switch, which worked fine for years on machinery. As
a bell push, inside a porch, it stopped working after about two years.

I just don’t believe that its not possible to do one that will last for
decades.

That's what I thought too. I can build control systems for three phase
machinery that survive ham-fisted apprentices and streams of coolant. How
difficult could a bell push be?

My home has a brass bell push that was here when we first viewed the house
over 12 years ago, it looked old then but still works. Only problem is some
callers insist on hammering on the door after pressing the bell as it can't
be heard from outside.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian-Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

A bit of WD40 fixes most problems here.
You can buy weather proof momentary switches in screwfix ISTR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
I've never seen an actual door bell push which is truly waterproof.

I have.

Post a link to one, then.

Not possible when it isn't sold online today.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No I don't want a bell, I want the door intercom and bell to actually work.
that is the point. I could easily get a proper door chime or something that
playes the latest telephone ring tones, but that is not what I'm after, its
only a bloody switch after all, I am not interested in reinventing the
wheel.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"stuart noble" wrote in message
On 07/05/2015 07:55, Bod wrote:
[...]

Please help i'm stuck in bell push wiring Uzair UK diy 15 July 18th 14 03:16 AM
Bell push mystery Another John UK diy 12 December 14th 13 11:05 AM
Wireless doorbell with different sounds for different bell-push Fergus McMenemie[_2_] UK diy 8 January 3rd 13 08:16 PM
High quality bell push? Broadback UK diy 1 January 14th 07 12:33 PM
Wirefree bell push to wired bell Duncan UK diy 5 June 4th 06 09:14 PM