Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Water and human proof bell push needed

On 07/05/2015 07:55, Bod wrote:
On 07/05/2015 07:46, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Well says it all. I have a little door phone and after about 6 months
trying
to keep the call/bell button has been abandoned in favour of an old bell
push I found in a drawer with a Woolworths price tag on it. This is
wired so
it shorts the intercom cable as the original failed one which
consisted of
some tacky little push switch on a pcb glued in with heat glue. the
Woolies
on is your basic two brass bits sprung apart and a plastic button to
short
them together.
Tis worked fine till one of two things happened. Firstly, its not
waterproof and when its really wet, it shorts enough to make the bell
sound
or make silly whining noises leaving the amp running with clicks and
groans.
Or, the local cold caller or whoever who seems to have been studying
finger
karate, squishes it so much the prongs stay shorted out when the
finger is
removed.
Most bell pushes seem to still be of this type. I had no idea of the
stringent needs of a bell push in this environment before, so
wondered if
anyone else had any bright ideas?
Brian

I seem to recall those old type of bell pushes that seemed to always
work come rain or shine. I mean the white coloured ceramic buttons
encased in brass, that you used to see outside old buildings.
I don't know if they are still available or not.

Try this for a traditional bell that always works and has big chunky
batteries

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151251036496