Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

Default Neff oven temperature is not accurate

I've been suspicious that both ovens in my Neff U1661 are no longer
getting to the set temperature so have just checked with an oven
thermometer - it shows 20-30 degrees colder than the setting in each
oven. I'm going to try the thermometer in another oven ASAP but I
suspect it's telling the truth because we've had some under-cooked
things recently.
Are there any calibration adjustments on the temperature controls?
Any suggestions on what to check?

(I've asked this on UKwhitegoods too)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I've been suspicious that both ovens in my Neff U1661 are no longer
getting to the set temperature so have just checked with an oven
thermometer - it shows 20-30 degrees colder than the setting in each oven.
I'm going to try the thermometer in another oven ASAP but I suspect it's
telling the truth because we've had some under-cooked things recently.
Are there any calibration adjustments on the temperature controls?
Any suggestions on what to check?

(I've asked this on UKwhitegoods too)

Some oven thermostats can be adjusted but a lot can't. (Screw on the back of
the control knob "box")
Adjustment was a large part of manufacutring costs, a lot made now "self
adjust" during manufacture.
A lot of research was done into this aspect.

You might still be able to buy general purpose oven thermostats as a
replacement which are adjustable.
Or
http://www.ransomspares.co.uk/parts/...ic%20-%20Ovens

Neff is a crap make BTW.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
I've been suspicious that both ovens in my Neff U1661 are no longer getting to the set
temperature so have just checked with an oven thermometer - it shows 20-30 degrees
colder than the setting in each oven. I'm going to try the thermometer in another oven
ASAP but I suspect it's telling the truth because we've had some under-cooked things
recently.
Are there any calibration adjustments on the temperature controls?
Any suggestions on what to check?

(I've asked this on UKwhitegoods too)

Workaround:

Candlewax melts at around 45%C 113%F. Allegedly.

Put a (bit of) candle in used tin, stick it in the oven set the
oven to 45% give it a few minutes - this may be relevant - and
see if it melts.

If it doesn't increase the oven setting by small increments until
it does.

Make a note of this difference and try increasing the setting by
this amount every time you use the oven. Or you could calculate the
difference as a percentage of the original setting and increase the
setting by this percentage.

I see no reason why this shouldn't work until you get near the maximium
possible setting.

The oven will probably need to be ventilated in some way afterwards
to get rid of the smell of the melted wax

This will give your oven "character", personalise it, and means that
were any thieves foolish enough to steal your oven, they'd suffer
from undercooked food for their pains.

Providing that is, that you keep the piece of paper on which you've noted
the adjustment figure on a separate piece of paper, rather than sticking
a label on the oven itself.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 20/01/2015 08:40, harryagain wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I'm fairly sure these use PTC thermistors. I thought that thermistor
characteristics were not very repeatable (so I'd expected a calibration
adjustment somewhere) but having just looked at a few data sheets it
seems they're available with a +/-1% tolerance, so my memory has failed
me. More investigation needed.

What's wrong with Neff? I know it's not at the top of the quality (or
price) range but I don't hear people moaning about their appliances all
the time and my oven has worked fine for 10+ years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 20/01/2015 10:56, michael adams wrote:
wrote in message ...
[...]

:-) I could probably devise a few things that melted or boiled at
different test points, but it might be easier to get a decent
thermometer. I'll start a thread on IR thermometers to see whether
people have found them to be accurate

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...

I've been suspicious that both ovens in my Neff U1661 are no longer getting to the set
temperature so have just checked with an oven thermometer - it shows 20-30 degrees
colder than the setting in each oven. I'm going to try the thermometer in another oven
ASAP but I suspect it's telling the truth because we've had some under-cooked things
recently.
Are there any calibration adjustments on the temperature controls?
Any suggestions on what to check?

(I've asked this on UKwhitegoods too)

:-) I could probably devise a few things that melted or boiled at
different test points, but it might be easier to get a decent
thermometer. I'll start a thread on IR thermometers to see whether
people have found them to be accurate

Chill out, turn the knob up a bit, no problem. Its not as if cooking temp/times are in any way accurate.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I'm fairly sure these use PTC thermistors. I thought that thermistor
characteristics were not very repeatable (so I'd expected a calibration
adjustment somewhere) but having just looked at a few data sheets it
seems they're available with a +/-1% tolerance, so my memory has failed
me. More investigation needed.

They're commonly used as car coolant and intake air temperature sensors so
control in part the fuelling, so having to calibrate individually would
not really be on.

--
*Proofread carefully to see if you any words out or mispeld something *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.