Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default MOTs on cars that will fail next one...

If I took a car belonging to someone else for an MOT test to decide how bad it is and so whether I'd want to bother, would the MOT failure overrule the few days left on the old MOT?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 02/12/2014 14:36, JimK wrote:
If I took a car belonging to someone else for an MOT test to decide how bad it is and so whether I'd want to bother, would the MOT failure overrule the few days left on the old MOT?

Jim K

Posted to the wrong group really.

My understanding is that it all depends on what they find. If they rule
the car "too dangerous to drive" (which I expect is defined in their
code) they can issue you with a notice. I'm not sure if they can
physically restrain the vehicle.

Never personally heard of it happening though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 14:42:46 +0000, newshound wrote:

On 02/12/2014 14:36, JimK wrote:
If I took a car belonging to someone else for an MOT test to decide how
bad it is and so whether I'd want to bother, would the MOT failure
overrule the few days left on the old MOT?

Jim K

Posted to the wrong group really.

Well, it seems on-topic for u.r.c.m at least ;-)

My understanding is that it all depends on what they find. If they rule
the car "too dangerous to drive" (which I expect is defined in their
code) they can issue you with a notice. I'm not sure if they can
physically restrain the vehicle.

Never personally heard of it happening though.

My understanding is that MOT stations have not had the right to issue a
prohibition ('red ticket') for a number of years. Of course, if the
vehicle was very dangerous, they could call the police to stop you before
you got home.

The OP's friend would be able to drive until the old MOT expired without
fear of prosecution for the offence of using a motor vehicle without a
valid certificate, but would still be liable for prosecution for using an
unroadworthy vehicle if the condition was such.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Jethro_uk
writes
On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 06:36:41 -0800, JimK wrote:

If I took a car belonging to someone else for an MOT test to decide how
bad it is and so whether I'd want to bother, would the MOT failure
overrule the few days left on the old MOT?

Jim K

No.

However, if you/your friend is subsequently stopped, and the vehicle is
found to have a defect that was noted on the failure slip, you could be
in more trouble, than if it wasn't.

Sort of, anything that amounts to, "using a vehicle in an unsafe
condition" will see you in bother so a nick in a viper blade or even a
lamp out will not but a bald tyre or faulty brakes will.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/14 14:36, JimK wrote:
If I took a car belonging to someone else for an MOT test to decide how bad it is and so whether I'd want to bother, would the MOT failure overrule the few days left on the old MOT?

Jim K

No.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/14 15:11, mike wrote:
On Tue, 2 Dec 2014 14:58:42 +0000, fred wrote:

In article , Jethro_uk
writes
On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 06:36:41 -0800, JimK wrote:

If I took a car belonging to someone else for an MOT test to decide how
bad it is and so whether I'd want to bother, would the MOT failure
overrule the few days left on the old MOT?

Jim K

No.

However, if you/your friend is subsequently stopped, and the vehicle is
found to have a defect that was noted on the failure slip, you could be
in more trouble, than if it wasn't.

Sort of, anything that amounts to, "using a vehicle in an unsafe
condition" will see you in bother so a nick in a viper blade or even a
lamp out will not but a bald tyre or faulty brakes will.

I don't thinl the op was asking that. Clearly if someone drives a
vehicle which is unroadworthy it is illegal - and nothing technically
to do with an mot. He could drive out of an mot pass and immedialtely
fail something if the police stopped him. (Ok he'd have a good case in
court).

I thought whatever mot was done last, applied. That way at least
everyone knows where they stand. Waving mot an mot pass cert against
an mot fail one for the same vehicle is asking to problems.

Not correct.

I had three done. First dealer induced massive fail, 'we want £2000'
second pass, 'nothing wrong' third by VOSA inspector 'well one of the
tyres was arguably too ripped up to pass, so fail on that only but the
existing valid certificate stands'

Essentially fauilures are not recorded centrally - any pass valid for
the day is - valid for the day!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 02/12/2014 14:36, JimK wrote:
If I took a car belonging to someone else for an MOT test to decide how
bad it is and so whether I'd want to bother, would the MOT failure
overrule the few days left on the old MOT?

Jim K

Posted to the wrong group really.

Well, it seems on-topic for u.r.c.m at least ;-)

Hence my cross-posting (I should have said that)

My understanding is that it all depends on what they find. If they rule
the car "too dangerous to drive" (which I expect is defined in their
code) they can issue you with a notice. I'm not sure if they can
physically restrain the vehicle.

Never personally heard of it happening though.

My understanding is that MOT stations have not had the right to issue a
prohibition ('red ticket') for a number of years.

Thanks, I didn't realise things had changed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2014 15:59, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes.
I think is the real answer, though who is going to tell?
Brian

One of those cameras that checks the road tax etc. The OP is right to
be concerned.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 06:36:41 -0800, JimK wrote:

If I took a car belonging to someone else for an MOT test to decide how
bad it is and so whether I'd want to bother, would the MOT failure
overrule the few days left on the old MOT?

Nope. It'll still have an MOT until the expiry of the old one.

'course, if it's unroadworthy, it's illegal to drive whether it's been
taken for a ticket or not. You just can't say you didn't know...

Let's say it fails on something easy to fix. You take it home, change the
tyre/bulb/adjust the handbrake, whatever. It'd still be legal to drive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 15:17:53 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Essentially fauilures are not recorded centrally

Yes, they are, and have been since the introduction of computerised MOTs
a decade or so ago.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JimK wrote:
If I took a car belonging to someone else for an MOT test to decide how
bad it is and so whether I'd want to bother, would the MOT failure
overrule the few days left on the old MOT?

You couldn't be prosecuted for no MOT. But could for driving an
unroadworthy vehicle, if it is. Which can happen with or without an MOT
anyway.

--
*Marriage changes passion - suddenly you're in bed with a relative*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 17:02:52 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
JimK wrote:
If I took a car belonging to someone else for an MOT test to decide how
bad it is and so whether I'd want to bother, would the MOT failure
overrule the few days left on the old MOT?

You couldn't be prosecuted for no MOT. But could for driving an
unroadworthy vehicle, if it is. Which can happen with or without an MOT
anyway.

Some MOT fails do not make the car unroadworthy, except in a legal sense.
For example, an incorrect number plate font won't place you in immediate
danger when driving. Likewise, a blown bulb in daylight or a rear seatbelt
when only the driver is in the car.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , mike
writes
[...]

That question was answered by the previous poster with, 'No', which I
did not disagree with.

I elaborated on the circumstances under which driving a vehicle with
certain categories of fail could result in serious bother for the
driver.

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , fred writes
In article , Jethro_uk
writes
On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 06:36:41 -0800, JimK wrote:

If I took a car belonging to someone else for an MOT test to decide how
bad it is and so whether I'd want to bother, would the MOT failure
overrule the few days left on the old MOT?

Jim K

No.

However, if you/your friend is subsequently stopped, and the vehicle is
found to have a defect that was noted on the failure slip, you could be
in more trouble, than if it wasn't.

Sort of, anything that amounts to, "using a vehicle in an unsafe
condition" will see you in bother so a nick in a viper blade or even a
lamp out will not but a bald tyre or faulty brakes will.

And don't forget all MOTs are electronically logged so I would imagine
if plod checked they may well get your failed MOT as the latest test and
obviously as it had failed the vehicle is intrinsically unsafe. The
owner of the car might not be too chuffed about that.
I would suggest maybe the OP ask the garage for a pre-MOT inspection and
report.
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian
writes
On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 06:36:41 -0800, JimK wrote:

If I took a car belonging to someone else for an MOT test to decide how
bad it is and so whether I'd want to bother, would the MOT failure
overrule the few days left on the old MOT?

Nope. It'll still have an MOT until the expiry of the old one.

'course, if it's unroadworthy, it's illegal to drive whether it's been
taken for a ticket or not. You just can't say you didn't know...

Let's say it fails on something easy to fix. You take it home, change the
tyre/bulb/adjust the handbrake, whatever. It'd still be legal to drive.

If you fail you fail and you must have it re-certified as passed to have
a valid MOT and it is illegal to drive the vehicle without one even
though the vehicle may be perfectly roadworthy.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chad
writes

JimK wrote:
If I took a car belonging to someone else for an MOT test to decide how
bad it is and so whether I'd want to bother, would the MOT failure
overrule the few days left on the old MOT?

You couldn't be prosecuted for no MOT. But could for driving an
unroadworthy vehicle, if it is. Which can happen with or without an MOT
anyway.

Some MOT fails do not make the car unroadworthy, except in a legal sense.

Plod and VOSA are only interested in the legal sense.
For example, an incorrect number plate font won't place you in immediate
danger when driving. Likewise, a blown bulb in daylight or a rear seatbelt
when only the driver is in the car.

IIRC you would get an advisory or whatever it's called and you would
have to take proof that you had fixed the problem to a police station
within a prescribed number of days.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/14 20:31, bert wrote:
In message , Adrian
writes
On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 06:36:41 -0800, JimK wrote:

If I took a car belonging to someone else for an MOT test to decide how
bad it is and so whether I'd want to bother, would the MOT failure
overrule the few days left on the old MOT?

Nope. It'll still have an MOT until the expiry of the old one.

'course, if it's unroadworthy, it's illegal to drive whether it's been
taken for a ticket or not. You just can't say you didn't know...

Let's say it fails on something easy to fix. You take it home, change the
tyre/bulb/adjust the handbrake, whatever. It'd still be legal to drive.

If you fail you fail and you must have it re-certified as passed to have
a valid MOT and it is illegal to drive the vehicle without one even
though the vehicle may be perfectly roadworthy.

That's not totally correct.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/14 20:34, bert wrote:
In message , Chad
writes

JimK wrote:
If I took a car belonging to someone else for an MOT test to decide how
bad it is and so whether I'd want to bother, would the MOT failure
overrule the few days left on the old MOT?

You couldn't be prosecuted for no MOT. But could for driving an
unroadworthy vehicle, if it is. Which can happen with or without an MOT
anyway.

Some MOT fails do not make the car unroadworthy, except in a legal sense.

Plod and VOSA are only interested in the legal sense.
For example, an incorrect number plate font won't place you in immediate
danger when driving. Likewise, a blown bulb in daylight or a rear
seatbelt
when only the driver is in the car.

IIRC you would get an advisory or whatever it's called and you would
have to take proof that you had fixed the problem to a police station
within a prescribed number of days.

No - an advisory is just that - an advisory. There is no compulsion to
get an advisory rectified.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
CB CB is offline

On 02/12/2014 21:29, Tim Watts wrote:
On 02/12/14 20:34, bert wrote:
In message , Chad
writes

JimK wrote:
[...]

I think he meant "producer" - take all of your valid docs to show Mr Plod.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/14 21:32, CB wrote:
On 02/12/2014 21:29, Tim Watts wrote:
On 02/12/14 20:34, bert wrote:
In message , Chad
writes

JimK wrote:
[...]

I don't think a "producer" (a HORT1) was[1] used to show you fixed a
defect. I was used to prove you had correct and current
insurance/licence/roadtax.

[1] Doubt they are ever issued now as all those can be computer checked
from the squad car or over the radio.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 20:31:49 +0000, bert wrote:

If I took a car belonging to someone else for an MOT test to decide
how bad it is and so whether I'd want to bother, would the MOT failure
overrule the few days left on the old MOT?

Nope. It'll still have an MOT until the expiry of the old one.

'course, if it's unroadworthy, it's illegal to drive whether it's been
taken for a ticket or not. You just can't say you didn't know...

Let's say it fails on something easy to fix. You take it home, change
the tyre/bulb/adjust the handbrake, whatever. It'd still be legal to
drive.

If you fail you fail and you must have it re-certified as passed to have
a valid MOT and it is illegal to drive the vehicle without one even
though the vehicle may be perfectly roadworthy.

Complete and utter ********. Would you care to provide the slightest
evidence to back that up?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 20:27:25 +0000, bert wrote:

obviously as it had failed the vehicle is intrinsically unsafe.

Seriously? Do you make this up for fun?

Let's say it failed on the rear fog light. Or the numberplate lights. Or
a tyre - but that's been changed, although there's not been a chance to
retest.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
CB CB is offline

On 02/12/2014 21:37, Adrian wrote:
On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 20:27:25 +0000, bert wrote:

obviously as it had failed the vehicle is intrinsically unsafe.

Seriously? Do you make this up for fun?

Let's say it failed on the rear fog light. Or the numberplate lights. Or
a tyre - but that's been changed, although there's not been a chance to
retest.

This looks quite straightforward (and definitive) to me

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

If your vehicle fails the test
Youll get a €˜notification of failure from the test centre if your
vehicle fails the test. The failure will be recorded in the secure
central MOT database.

You can still drive your vehicle if it fails the test and its existing
MOT certificate is still valid (ie you got it tested before the expiry
date). However, you might be stopped by police and prosecuted if your
vehicle is unroadworthy.

If the vehicle fails the test and the certificate has expired, you can
only drive it to:

have the failed defects repaired
a pre-arranged MOT test appointment
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , bert ]
writes

And don't forget all MOTs are electronically logged so I would imagine
if plod checked they may well get your failed MOT as the latest test and
obviously as it had failed the vehicle is intrinsically unsafe. The
owner of the car might not be too chuffed about that.
I would suggest maybe the OP ask the garage for a pre-MOT inspection and
report.

No, that is not the case.

As has already been pointed out, an MOT is valid until its expiry.

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2014 14:36, JimK wrote:
If I took a car belonging to someone else for an MOT test to decide
how bad it is and so whether I'd want to bother, would the MOT
failure overrule the few days left on the old MOT?

I can't believe the arm chair crap that is cited here. From as near the
horses mouth as you can get:

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

Specifically the section: "If your vehicle fails the test"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 20:34:59 +0000, bert wrote:

In message , Chad
writes

JimK wrote:
If I took a car belonging to someone else for an MOT test to decide
how bad it is and so whether I'd want to bother, would the MOT
failure overrule the few days left on the old MOT?

You couldn't be prosecuted for no MOT. But could for driving an
unroadworthy vehicle, if it is. Which can happen with or without an
MOT anyway.

Some MOT fails do not make the car unroadworthy, except in a legal
sense.

Plod and VOSA are only interested in the legal sense.

But in differing ways. A shonky numberplate or blown brake lamp and
they'll tell you to get it fixed, possibly (as you say later) proving it
to them within a certain time. Four bald tyres or completely missing
headlamp units would see the car impounded.

For example, an incorrect number plate font won't place you in immediate
danger when driving. Likewise, a blown bulb in daylight or a rear
seatbelt when only the driver is in the car.

IIRC you would get an advisory or whatever it's called and you would
have to take proof that you had fixed the problem to a police station
within a prescribed number of days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian
writes
On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 20:27:25 +0000, bert wrote:

obviously as it had failed the vehicle is intrinsically unsafe.

Seriously? Do you make this up for fun?

Let's say it failed on the rear fog light. Or the numberplate lights. Or
a tyre - but that's been changed, although there's not been a chance to
retest.

At the time of testing is what matters as far as MOTs are concerned. Not
sure now what the rules are about using a vehicle on the road form when
it fails to when it is retested. You are not obliged to have it retested
at the same station though it is usually financially beneficial to do
so.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian
writes
[...]

So why do you have it tested in the first place?
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
On 02/12/14 20:34, bert wrote:
In message , Chad
writes

JimK wrote:
[...]

I'm talking about the note you get if pulled by plod for the examples
given above not an advisory on an MOT test.
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Fredxxx
writes
On 02/12/2014 14:36, JimK wrote:
If I took a car belonging to someone else for an MOT test to decide
how bad it is and so whether I'd want to bother, would the MOT
failure overrule the few days left on the old MOT?

I can't believe the arm chair crap that is cited here. From as near the
horses mouth as you can get:

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

Specifically the section: "If your vehicle fails the test"

And if you were stopped would plod have access to the failed test
details?
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/14 11:47, bert wrote:
In message , Adrian
writes
[...]

because the existing MOT is due to expire..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , bert ]
writes
In message , Fredxxx
writes
On 02/12/2014 14:36, JimK wrote:
If I took a car belonging to someone else for an MOT test to decide
how bad it is and so whether I'd want to bother, would the MOT
failure overrule the few days left on the old MOT?

I can't believe the arm chair crap that is cited here. From as near
the horses mouth as you can get:

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

Specifically the section: "If your vehicle fails the test"

And if you were stopped would plod have access to the failed test
details?

That bit isn't clear, though the consumer facing online checker doesn't
show it. I checked out of interest last year when I failed the MOT, but
still had almost 30 days on the old one, and it didn't get fixed for
about a week. It just shew that the current MOT was valid. Police, VOSA
etc. might have access to more info.

But as others have said, if the police spot something dodgy with the car
they can still prosecute you for the car being unroadworthy
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/14 11:47, bert wrote:
In message , Adrian
writes
[...]

To get a 1 year certificate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/14 11:49, bert wrote:
In message , Tim Watts

No - an advisory is just that - an advisory. There is no compulsion to
get an advisory rectified.

I'm talking about the note you get if pulled by plod for the examples
given above not an advisory on an MOT test.

Well, that does not sound like a HORT1 "producer".

Can you name what you mean, because I don't know of any such policing
device?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris French wrote:

bert writes:

would plod have access to the failed test details?

That bit isn't clear, though the consumer facing online checker doesn't
show it. I checked out of interest last year when I failed the MOT

The online checker that vehicle traders access does show failed tests,
so I'd imagine plod's would too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Dec 2014 12:11:38 +0000, Chris French wrote:

I can't believe the arm chair crap that is cited here. From as near the
horses mouth as you can get:

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

Specifically the section: "If your vehicle fails the test"

And if you were stopped would plod have access to the failed test
details?

That bit isn't clear, though the consumer facing online checker doesn't
show it.

Put the V5C doc ref in to show the full MOT history, and any and every
failed test and advisory since the advent of computerised MOTs are shown.

But whether the test has been failed or hasn't been undertaken doesn't
affect the legality of a car with a current MOT. If it's unroadworthy,
it's illegal. If it's roadworthy, it's legal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Dec 2014 11:42:11 +0000, bert wrote:

obviously as it had failed the vehicle is intrinsically unsafe.

Seriously? Do you make this up for fun?

Let's say it failed on the rear fog light. Or the numberplate lights. Or
a tyre - but that's been changed, although there's not been a chance to
retest.

At the time of testing is what matters as far as MOTs are concerned.

Exactly.

So the fail doesn't say the vehicle's "intrinsically unsafe" - not least
because not all fails are safety-related.

Nor does the fail cancel out any remaining test, because you may then
have resolved the problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian
writes
On Wed, 03 Dec 2014 11:42:11 +0000, bert wrote:

obviously as it had failed the vehicle is intrinsically unsafe.

Seriously? Do you make this up for fun?

Let's say it failed on the rear fog light. Or the numberplate lights. Or
a tyre - but that's been changed, although there's not been a chance to
retest.

At the time of testing is what matters as far as MOTs are concerned.

Exactly.

So the fail doesn't say the vehicle's "intrinsically unsafe" - not least
because not all fails are safety-related.

In the examples you gave it would be a danger to other road users or to
yourself.
Nor does the fail cancel out any remaining test, because you may then
have resolved the problem.

It doesn't cancel out any remaining test because as has been pointed out
by others that's what the regulations state not because of what you may
have done to rectify the problems.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 03/12/14 11:47, bert wrote:
In message , Adrian
writes
[...]

You haven't quite followed this particular argument in which Adrian was
arguing that driving a roadworthy vehicle without an MOT is not an
offence. (3years+ old of course)
--
bert

DIY Fail Artic[_2_] UK diy 3 December 25th 13 11:20 PM
MOT Fail The Medway Handyman UK diy 31 January 5th 11 12:49 AM
OT -- Small Cars Are Dangerous Cars - Fuel economy zealots can kill you Joseph Gwinn Metalworking 50 May 2nd 09 06:59 AM
"Fun with MOTs" Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 6 June 24th 08 09:18 PM
MOT fail ? Phil Kyle UK diy 57 February 14th 07 11:14 PM