Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default MOTs on cars that will fail next one...

In article , mike
writes
On Tue, 2 Dec 2014 14:58:42 +0000, fred wrote:

In article , Jethro_uk
writes
On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 06:36:41 -0800, JimK wrote:

If I took a car belonging to someone else for an MOT test to decide how
bad it is and so whether I'd want to bother, would the MOT failure
overrule the few days left on the old MOT?

Jim K

No.

However, if you/your friend is subsequently stopped, and the vehicle is
found to have a defect that was noted on the failure slip, you could be
in more trouble, than if it wasn't.

Sort of, anything that amounts to, "using a vehicle in an unsafe
condition" will see you in bother so a nick in a viper blade or even a
lamp out will not but a bald tyre or faulty brakes will.

I don't thinl the op was asking that. Clearly if someone drives a
vehicle which is unroadworthy it is illegal - and nothing technically
to do with an mot. He could drive out of an mot pass and immedialtely
fail something if the police stopped him. (Ok he'd have a good case in
court).

That question was answered by the previous poster with, 'No', which I
did not disagree with.

I elaborated on the circumstances under which driving a vehicle with
certain categories of fail could result in serious bother for the
driver.

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .