Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_3_] bert[_3_] is offline

Default MOTs on cars that will fail next one...

In message , Tim Watts
writes
On 02/12/14 20:34, bert wrote:
In message , Chad
writes
On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 17:02:52 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
JimK wrote:
If I took a car belonging to someone else for an MOT test to decide how
bad it is and so whether I'd want to bother, would the MOT failure
overrule the few days left on the old MOT?

You couldn't be prosecuted for no MOT. But could for driving an
unroadworthy vehicle, if it is. Which can happen with or without an MOT
anyway.

Some MOT fails do not make the car unroadworthy, except in a legal sense.

Plod and VOSA are only interested in the legal sense.
For example, an incorrect number plate font won't place you in immediate
danger when driving. Likewise, a blown bulb in daylight or a rear
seatbelt
when only the driver is in the car.

IIRC you would get an advisory or whatever it's called and you would
have to take proof that you had fixed the problem to a police station
within a prescribed number of days.

No - an advisory is just that - an advisory. There is no compulsion to
get an advisory rectified.

I'm talking about the note you get if pulled by plod for the examples
given above not an advisory on an MOT test.
--
bert