Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default MOTs on cars that will fail next one...

On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 20:31:49 +0000, bert wrote:

If I took a car belonging to someone else for an MOT test to decide
how bad it is and so whether I'd want to bother, would the MOT failure
overrule the few days left on the old MOT?

Nope. It'll still have an MOT until the expiry of the old one.

'course, if it's unroadworthy, it's illegal to drive whether it's been
taken for a ticket or not. You just can't say you didn't know...

Let's say it fails on something easy to fix. You take it home, change
the tyre/bulb/adjust the handbrake, whatever. It'd still be legal to
drive.

If you fail you fail and you must have it re-certified as passed to have
a valid MOT and it is illegal to drive the vehicle without one even
though the vehicle may be perfectly roadworthy.

Complete and utter ********. Would you care to provide the slightest
evidence to back that up?