Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Loosening a ceiling rose

I have a round plastic ceiling rose in our kitchen
which I am unable to rotate in order to remove it.
I guess the heat from the bulb below may have distorted it,
or just made it adhere tightly to the part attached to the ceiling.

I've tried turning it with a (not very good) plumber's wrench,
after applying WD50 liberally, but this just slipped round.

I thought of drilling two holes in the flat bottom,
inserting screws and using a screwdriver or similar to turn it.
Any better suggestions?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/14 00:09, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I have a round plastic ceiling rose in our kitchen
which I am unable to rotate in order to remove it.
I guess the heat from the bulb below may have distorted it,
or just made it adhere tightly to the part attached to the ceiling.

I've tried turning it with a (not very good) plumber's wrench,
after applying WD50 liberally, but this just slipped round.

I thought of drilling two holes in the flat bottom,
inserting screws and using a screwdriver or similar to turn it.
Any better suggestions?

http://www.opmltd.co.uk/product_phot...jar_opener.jpg

Now, before you do - has the ceiling been painted lost of times and has
the paint sealed the top of the rose?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2014 00:09, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I have a round plastic ceiling rose in our kitchen
which I am unable to rotate in order to remove it.
I guess the heat from the bulb below may have distorted it,
or just made it adhere tightly to the part attached to the ceiling.

I've tried turning it with a (not very good) plumber's wrench,
after applying WD50 liberally, but this just slipped round.

I thought of drilling two holes in the flat bottom,
inserting screws and using a screwdriver or similar to turn it.
Any better suggestions?

If all else fails, just crack it off with a good thump of a hammer
(assuming the power's off), then fit a whole new assembly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2014 00:09, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I have a round plastic ceiling rose in our kitchen
which I am unable to rotate in order to remove it.
I guess the heat from the bulb below may have distorted it,
or just made it adhere tightly to the part attached to the ceiling.

I've tried turning it with a (not very good) plumber's wrench,
after applying WD50 liberally, but this just slipped round.

I thought of drilling two holes in the flat bottom,
inserting screws and using a screwdriver or similar to turn it.
Any better suggestions?

A few sharp whacks with the handle of the screwdriver around the edges
to break the stiction on the threads usually does it. If not, hit it
harder and then replace the one with the broken cover with a new one!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It has been my experience that these tend to crack once o you put enough
force on them to turn them.I have found to my cost the only way to make
these actually usable is to remove them every year or so.
I assume some paind has not trickled into the thread, maybe some paint
softener might help.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I have a round plastic ceiling rose in our kitchen
which I am unable to rotate in order to remove it.
I guess the heat from the bulb below may have distorted it,
or just made it adhere tightly to the part attached to the ceiling.

I've tried turning it with a (not very good) plumber's wrench,
after applying WD50 liberally, but this just slipped round.

I thought of drilling two holes in the flat bottom,
inserting screws and using a screwdriver or similar to turn it.
Any better suggestions?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sadly often that is the only option with these plastic things. In my view
they use poor plastic. I had one on the bathroom ceiling made of what
appears to be polypropolene and it never had this issue, though was somewhat
more flexible and you should not over tighten the lid as it stretches a bit.
The other issue of course if old fashioned bulbs were in use is that the
socket disintegrates and the wire goes rock hard again due to the heat.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"ARW" wrote in message
"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 15/06/2014 00:09, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I have a round plastic ceiling rose in our kitchen
which I am unable to rotate in order to remove it.
I guess the heat from the bulb below may have distorted it,
or just made it adhere tightly to the part attached to the ceiling.

I've tried turning it with a (not very good) plumber's wrench,
after applying WD50 liberally, but this just slipped round.

I thought of drilling two holes in the flat bottom,
inserting screws and using a screwdriver or similar to turn it.
Any better suggestions?

A few sharp whacks with the handle of the screwdriver around the edges to
break the stiction on the threads usually does it. If not, hit it harder
and then replace the one with the broken cover with a new one!

Indeed.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2014 01:33, GMM wrote:
On 15/06/2014 00:09, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I have a round plastic ceiling rose in our kitchen
which I am unable to rotate in order to remove it.
I guess the heat from the bulb below may have distorted it,
or just made it adhere tightly to the part attached to the ceiling.

I've tried turning it with a (not very good) plumber's wrench,
after applying WD50 liberally, but this just slipped round.

I thought of drilling two holes in the flat bottom,
inserting screws and using a screwdriver or similar to turn it.
Any better suggestions?

If all else fails, just crack it off with a good thump of a hammer
(assuming the power's off), then fit a whole new assembly.

+1. Thats what I do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

+1. Thats what I do.

no doubt after checking that it's screwed to a joist and not just into
lath and plaster which is only held up by the ceiling paper

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robin" wrote in :

+1. Thats what I do.

no doubt after checking that it's screwed to a joist and not just into
lath and plaster which is only held up by the ceiling paper

+1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Timothy Murphy
escribió:

Any better suggestions?

Couple sharp raps with a screwdriver handle to loosen the threads.
Clean off the WD40 (that was a waste of time) and use a Marigold glove
to grip it and give it lots of welly.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy pretended :
I have a round plastic ceiling rose in our kitchen
which I am unable to rotate in order to remove it.
I guess the heat from the bulb below may have distorted it,
or just made it adhere tightly to the part attached to the ceiling.

I've tried turning it with a (not very good) plumber's wrench,
after applying WD50 liberally, but this just slipped round.

I thought of drilling two holes in the flat bottom,
inserting screws and using a screwdriver or similar to turn it.
Any better suggestions?

Have you one of those rubberised engine oil filter removers? Like
rubber strap, with a handle - the more you try to turn the tighter they
grip, about a pound in a pound shop.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 07:44:04 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

It has been my experience that these tend to crack once o you put enough
force on them to turn them.I have found to my cost the only way to make
these actually usable is to remove them every year or so.
I assume some paind has not trickled into the thread, maybe some paint
softener might help.

I used these:

http://goo.gl/SXqlHA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

Any better suggestions?

Couple sharp raps with a screwdriver handle to loosen the threads.
Clean off the WD40 (that was a waste of time) and use a Marigold glove
to grip it and give it lots of welly.

SDS chisel, angle grinder, multi-master, pressure washer, hot air gun,
demolition ball.

Either of the above will move it, and gaffa tape to fix remains ....

--
Not Me

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2014 12:28, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 07:44:04 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

It has been my experience that these tend to crack once o you put enough
force on them to turn them.I have found to my cost the only way to make
these actually usable is to remove them every year or so.
I assume some paind has not trickled into the thread, maybe some paint
softener might help.

I used these:

http://goo.gl/SXqlHA

So you plug it in and screw the cover on and it gets stuck the same as
the cover on the ordinary ones?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian C
writes
escribió:

Any better suggestions?

Couple sharp raps with a screwdriver handle to loosen the threads.
Clean off the WD40 (that was a waste of time) and use a Marigold glove
to grip it and give it lots of welly.

SDS chisel, angle grinder, multi-master, pressure washer, hot air gun,
demolition ball.

I once went to an auction where amongst other things there was a
screened room for disposal, for emc testing equipment. Part of the
description in the catalogue said "explosives are not allowed in the
removal of this lot" (I assumed that they meant cutting charges, rather
than blowing the building down)

You forgot to mention explosives, some ceiling roses I have had may just
about have yielded to them.

Either of the above will move it, and gaffa tape to fix remains ....

Good stuff gaffer tape :-)
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 15:55:15 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

On 15/06/2014 12:28, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 07:44:04 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

It has been my experience that these tend to crack once o you put
enough force on them to turn them.I have found to my cost the only way
to make these actually usable is to remove them every year or so.
I assume some paind has not trickled into the thread, maybe some
paint
softener might help.

I used these:

http://goo.gl/SXqlHA

So you plug it in and screw the cover on and it gets stuck the same as
the cover on the ordinary ones?

No, because the cover is soft plastic and pushes on. Doesn't need to
screw on because removing it doesn't expose live parts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I have a round plastic ceiling rose in our kitchen
which I am unable to rotate in order to remove it.
I guess the heat from the bulb below may have distorted it,
or just made it adhere tightly to the part attached to the ceiling.

I've tried turning it with a (not very good) plumber's wrench,
after applying WD50 liberally, but this just slipped round.

I thought of drilling two holes in the flat bottom,
inserting screws and using a screwdriver or similar to turn it.
Any better suggestions?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

I go with the suggestion of breaking off the cover, which shouldn't
be too difficult.

The problem with trying to unscrew the cover using force is, even
if the fitting is properly secured to a joist, using force may put
unnecessary strain on the fixing when the price of a new rose simply
doesn't warrant it.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, June 15, 2014 12:09:45 AM UTC+1, Timothy Murphy wrote:

I have a round plastic ceiling rose in our kitchen
which I am unable to rotate in order to remove it.
I guess the heat from the bulb below may have distorted it,
or just made it adhere tightly to the part attached to the ceiling.
I've tried turning it with a (not very good) plumber's wrench,
after applying WD50 liberally, but this just slipped round.
I thought of drilling two holes in the flat bottom,
inserting screws and using a screwdriver or similar to turn it.
Any better suggestions?

A friend suggested a coffee jar lid as a replacement rose cover!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Timothy Murphy pretended :
I have a round plastic ceiling rose in our kitchen
which I am unable to rotate in order to remove it.
I guess the heat from the bulb below may have distorted it,
or just made it adhere tightly to the part attached to the ceiling.

I've tried turning it with a (not very good) plumber's wrench,
after applying WD50 liberally, but this just slipped round.

I thought of drilling two holes in the flat bottom,
inserting screws and using a screwdriver or similar to turn it.
Any better suggestions?

Have you one of those rubberised engine oil filter removers? Like
rubber strap, with a handle - the more you try to turn the tighter they
grip, about a pound in a pound shop.

*About* a pound?

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes used his keyboard to write :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Timothy Murphy pretended :
I have a round plastic ceiling rose in our kitchen
which I am unable to rotate in order to remove it.
I guess the heat from the bulb below may have distorted it,
or just made it adhere tightly to the part attached to the ceiling.

I've tried turning it with a (not very good) plumber's wrench,
after applying WD50 liberally, but this just slipped round.

I thought of drilling two holes in the flat bottom,
inserting screws and using a screwdriver or similar to turn it.
Any better suggestions?

Have you one of those rubberised engine oil filter removers? Like
rubber strap, with a handle - the more you try to turn the tighter they
grip, about a pound in a pound shop.

*About* a pound?

Some pound shops are 99p, others £1.20. lol

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tip - Don't over tighten rose covers!

I agree with smashing it off and replacing it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
A friend suggested a coffee jar lid as a replacement rose cover!

I think Lynn Faulds Wood told us that was a bad idea back in the '80s.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Mike Barnes used his keyboard to write :

*About* a pound?

Some pound shops are 99p, others £1.20. lol

Quite! I walked past a small shop recently, called something
beginning with "pound", proclaiming "Everything a pound &".

So far as I could tell from the display, this simply meant
nothing under a pound.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2014 11:56, DerbyBorn wrote:
"Robin" wrote in :

+1. Thats what I do.

no doubt after checking that it's screwed to a joist and not just into
lath and plaster which is only held up by the ceiling paper

+1

Same damage occurs if you apply too much welly unscrewing it :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Mike Barnes used his keyboard to write :

*About* a pound?

Some pound shops are 99p, others £1.20. lol

Quite! I walked past a small shop recently, called something
beginning with "pound", proclaiming "Everything a pound &".

So far as I could tell from the display, this simply meant
nothing under a pound.

Yes, I've seen that as EVERYTHING FROM A POUND.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:

Chris J Dixon wrote:

Quite! I walked past a small shop recently, called something
beginning with "pound", proclaiming "Everything a pound &".

So far as I could tell from the display, this simply meant
nothing under a pound.

Yes, I've seen that as EVERYTHING FROM A POUND.

About as helpful as those Sale signs reading "Up to 50% off"

All they are actually promising is that the reduction will not
exceed 50%, and could indeed be zero.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 08:25:47 +0100 Chris J Dixon wrote :
Quite! I walked past a small shop recently, called something
beginning with "pound", proclaiming "Everything a pound &".

So far as I could tell from the display, this simply meant
nothing under a pound.

We have a couple of Japanese-owned shops called Daiso, everything A$2.80
(about £1.50). Gives them a bit more scope to adjust prices than
Poundland.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Mike Barnes used his keyboard to write :

*About* a pound?

Some pound shops are 99p, others £1.20. lol

Quite! I walked past a small shop recently, called something
beginning with "pound", proclaiming "Everything a pound &".

So far as I could tell from the display, this simply meant
nothing under a pound.

That's also true of the poundshops. Nothing under a pound (no over a
pound). Specifying a singular price for all the stock does present its
own unique challenges.

The "Everything a pound &" just seems to be a way to describe that
everything is priced from "One pound right up to one pound and
ninetynine pence" a little more 'snappily' (FSVOS).

I suppose they could have tried "12 Pound Shop" now that most of the
general public have an awareness of the symbol (mis)used in the
advertising of the insurance company name "More Thn". :-)
--
J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Quite! I walked past a small shop recently, called something
beginning with "pound", proclaiming "Everything a pound &".

So far as I could tell from the display, this simply meant
nothing under a pound.

The "Everything a pound &" just seems to be a way to describe that
everything is priced from "One pound right up to one pound and
ninetynine pence" a little more 'snappily' (FSVOS).

From what I saw, they seemed to have stock on display in excess
of £2.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/14 00:09, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I have a round plastic ceiling rose in our kitchen
which I am unable to rotate in order to remove it.
I guess the heat from the bulb below may have distorted it,
or just made it adhere tightly to the part attached to the ceiling.

I've tried turning it with a (not very good) plumber's wrench,
after applying WD50 liberally, but this just slipped round.

I thought of drilling two holes in the flat bottom,
inserting screws and using a screwdriver or similar to turn it.
Any better suggestions?

I'm assuming it is one of the thermosetting plastic beasts. It make well
be distorted, cross threaded, or jammed with paint. You may have to
break it and replace it. The good news is that they aren't expensive to
replace and the wiring is, generally, simple enough. Either label the
wires and make notes or photo before you disconnect the old one.

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/18 13:35, Brian Reay wrote:
[...]

Some modern ones slide off.

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ
Remarkable Coincidences:
The Stock Market Crashes of 1929 and 2008 happened on the same
date in October. In Oct 1907, a run on the Knickerbocker Trust
Company led to the Great Depression.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2018 13:37, Brian Reay wrote:
[...]

I should imagine that the 2018 version of modern will be different to
that of 2014.
BICBW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2018 13:35, Brian Reay wrote:
On 15/06/14 00:09, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I have a round plastic ceiling rose in our kitchen
which I am unable to rotate in order to remove it.
I guess the heat from the bulb below may have distorted it,
or just made it adhere tightly to the part attached to the ceiling.

I've tried turning it with a (not very good) plumber's wrench,
after applying WD50 liberally, but this just slipped round.

I thought of drilling two holes in the flat bottom,
inserting screws and using a screwdriver or similar to turn it.
Any better suggestions?

Either an oil filter removal too or one of those cheap plastic/rubber
jam jar lid removal gizmos used if you have weak/arthritic/elderly
wrists - I have used the same thing for uncrewing a bottle trap waste.
Useful tool for all sorts of stuff.

This sort of thing:-
http://tinyurl.com/weakwrist

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2018 14:53, Andy Bennet wrote:
[...]

IME this is probably going to rip the backplate off the ceiling. Better
just to smash the removable part.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2018 14:53, Andy Bennet wrote:

Either an oil filter removal too or one of those cheap plastic/rubber
jam jar lid removal gizmos used if you have weak/arthritic/elderly
wrist

While on the subject of jar lid removers ...... rather than using force
to turn a jar lid instead use a tool the releases the vacuum and then
the lid unscrews easily by hand.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Youtube demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmPsPTE1Sss

It's something I purchased a few years ago for around £2.50 and have
found that works well.

Something else I've purchased and recommend

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aidapt-Ring...ng+pull+opener

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd agree, and I know you obviously know this, but remember anyone else, the
wires inside are live even when the light switch is off, so isolate the
whole circuit!
I've never had much luck with the plastic ones if the lamp ever had a
normal light bulb in it. I suspect the rising heat over time just makes it
jam.
They normally crack due to the degradation of the plastic if you try
anything really physical.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 09/11/2018 14:53, Andy Bennet wrote:

Either an oil filter removal too or one of those cheap plastic/rubber jam
jar lid removal gizmos used if you have weak/arthritic/elderly wrist

While on the subject of jar lid removers ...... rather than using force to
turn a jar lid instead use a tool the releases the vacuum and then the lid
unscrews easily by hand.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Youtube demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmPsPTE1Sss

It's something I purchased a few years ago for around £2.50 and have found
that works well.

Something else I've purchased and recommend

Doesnt work for these and needless to say I have
well over a hundred of them I use for my home made
marmalade which is impossible to get the lids off if you
put the lids on immediately after you fill the jar with
stinking hot marmalade from the stock pot. 600g jars.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c2xt7c4w3y..._1984.JPG?dl=0

The Culinare One Touch Automatic Jar Opener
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Culinare-To...c+Jar+Open er
does work, but they dont last long, they all break. They
do get replaced under warranty but the last time they
said that they dont make them anymore, presumably
because they can't make them strong enough. But I
notice that Amazon is still flogging them so maybe
they changed their mind on that, or lied to me.

There are some chinese clones now, havent
tried one yet and there is buckleys of any
warranty claim so it could get expensive.

What does work is to microwave the unopened jar for
a few minutes which increases the pressure inside so
you can turn the lid by hand, but the contents are
then ****ing hot so its not an ideal approach either.

Should be possible to put the lids on when the
marmalade has cooled a bit but before its at
room temp so it still vacuum seals as it cools
completely, but I only make it every 2 years
so I havent had a chance to try that yet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aidapt-Ring...ng+pull+opener