Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_8_] michael adams[_8_] is offline

Default Loosening a ceiling rose

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I have a round plastic ceiling rose in our kitchen
which I am unable to rotate in order to remove it.
I guess the heat from the bulb below may have distorted it,
or just made it adhere tightly to the part attached to the ceiling.

I've tried turning it with a (not very good) plumber's wrench,
after applying WD50 liberally, but this just slipped round.

I thought of drilling two holes in the flat bottom,
inserting screws and using a screwdriver or similar to turn it.
Any better suggestions?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

I go with the suggestion of breaking off the cover, which shouldn't
be too difficult.

The problem with trying to unscrew the cover using force is, even
if the fitting is properly secured to a joist, using force may put
unnecessary strain on the fixing when the price of a new rose simply
doesn't warrant it.

michael adams