Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard[_10_] Richard[_10_] is offline

Default Loosening a ceiling rose

On 09/11/2018 13:37, Brian Reay wrote:
On 09/11/18 13:35, Brian Reay wrote:
On 15/06/14 00:09, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I have a round plastic ceiling rose in our kitchen
which I am unable to rotate in order to remove it.
I guess the heat from the bulb below may have distorted it,
or just made it adhere tightly to the part attached to the ceiling.

I've tried turning it with a (not very good) plumber's wrench,
after applying WD50 liberally, but this just slipped round.

I thought of drilling two holes in the flat bottom,
inserting screws and using a screwdriver or similar to turn it.
Any better suggestions?

I'm assuming it is one of the thermosetting plastic beasts. It make
well be distorted, cross threaded, or jammed with paint. You may have
to break it and replace it. The good news is that they aren't
expensive to replace and the wiring is, generally, simple enough.
Either label the wires and make notes or photo before you disconnect
the old one.

Some modern ones slide off.

I should imagine that the 2018 version of modern will be different to
that of 2014.
BICBW