Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johny B Good[_2_] Johny B Good[_2_] is offline

Default Loosening a ceiling rose

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 08:25:47 +0100, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Mike Barnes used his keyboard to write :

*About* a pound?

Some pound shops are 99p, others £1.20. lol

Quite! I walked past a small shop recently, called something
beginning with "pound", proclaiming "Everything a pound &".

So far as I could tell from the display, this simply meant
nothing under a pound.

That's also true of the poundshops. Nothing under a pound (no over a
pound). Specifying a singular price for all the stock does present its
own unique challenges.

The "Everything a pound &" just seems to be a way to describe that
everything is priced from "One pound right up to one pound and
ninetynine pence" a little more 'snappily' (FSVOS).

I suppose they could have tried "12 Pound Shop" now that most of the
general public have an awareness of the symbol (mis)used in the
advertising of the insurance company name "More Thn". :-)
--
J B Good