Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What an idiot

Father watches in horror as his four-year-old daughter is killed when
SIX breeze blocks fall on her while he tears down garden shed

http://tinyurl.com/m5dobr2

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BD wrote:
Father watches in horror as his four-year-old daughter is killed when
SIX breeze blocks fall on her while he tears down garden shed

What exactly was he doing that was idiotic? Using gelignite? Pulling the
wall out to get a concrete roof down (as per a few months back)?

There but for the grace of god go the rest of us.

--
Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott M wrote:

BD wrote:
Father watches in horror as his four-year-old daughter is killed when
SIX breeze blocks fall on her while he tears down garden shed

What exactly was he doing that was idiotic?

Having a child in the garden while demolishing anything.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message id, Jeremy
Nicoll - news posts writes
Scott M wrote:

BD wrote:
Father watches in horror as his four-year-old daughter is killed when
SIX breeze blocks fall on her while he tears down garden shed

What exactly was he doing that was idiotic?

Having a child in the garden while demolishing anything.

Christ. Give the guy a break. It could indeed happen to any of us.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , News
writes
In message id, Jeremy
Nicoll - news posts writes
Scott M wrote:

BD wrote:
Father watches in horror as his four-year-old daughter is killed when
SIX breeze blocks fall on her while he tears down garden shed

What exactly was he doing that was idiotic?

Having a child in the garden while demolishing anything.

Christ. Give the guy a break. It could indeed happen to any of us.

Only if terminally stupid, a demolition or tree felling site or insert
many others where things can go wrong very quickly is no place for a
4yr old eager to 'help daddy' to be playing.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2013 18:42, BD wrote:
Father watches in horror as his four-year-old daughter is killed when
SIX breeze blocks fall on her while he tears down garden shed

http://tinyurl.com/m5dobr2

Why are people dragging up old mail articles or is this harry again?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 20:29:54 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

On 22/08/2013 18:42, BD wrote:
Father watches in horror as his four-year-old daughter is killed when
SIX breeze blocks fall on her while he tears down garden shed

http://tinyurl.com/m5dobr2

Why are people dragging up old mail articles or is this harry again?

No, this one actually is today.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article , News
writes
In message id, Jeremy
Nicoll - news posts writes
Scott M wrote:

BD wrote:
Father watches in horror as his four-year-old daughter is killed when
SIX breeze blocks fall on her while he tears down garden shed

What exactly was he doing that was idiotic?

Having a child in the garden while demolishing anything.

Christ. Give the guy a break. It could indeed happen to any of us.

Only if terminally stupid, a demolition or tree felling site or insert
many others where things can go wrong very quickly is no place for a
4yr old eager to 'help daddy' to be playing.

I'm sure he'd agree with you. But short of tying them down they have
independent movement and pop up in unexpected places.

When I was 4, I ran towards the running prop of an aeroplane.

--
Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
On 22/08/2013 18:42, BD wrote:
Father watches in horror as his four-year-old daughter is killed when
SIX breeze blocks fall on her while he tears down garden shed

http://tinyurl.com/m5dobr2

Why are people dragging up old mail articles or is this harry again?

This group's getting like an episode of Dad's Army.

This is *today's* news - it's on the BBC News website this evening too.

--
Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott M scribbled...

fred wrote:
In article , News
writes
In message id, Jeremy
Nicoll - news posts writes
Scott M wrote:

BD wrote:
Father watches in horror as his four-year-old daughter is killed when
SIX breeze blocks fall on her while he tears down garden shed

What exactly was he doing that was idiotic?

Having a child in the garden while demolishing anything.

Christ. Give the guy a break. It could indeed happen to any of us.

Only if terminally stupid, a demolition or tree felling site or insert
many others where things can go wrong very quickly is no place for a
4yr old eager to 'help daddy' to be playing.

I'm sure he'd agree with you. But short of tying them down they have
independent movement and pop up in unexpected places.

When I was 4, I ran towards the running prop of an aeroplane.

Are you attempting to transfer the blame onto the dead child?
Parents have responsibilities and the very first is to ensure the safety
of their children. That fool wasn't on his own, if he'd half a brain
the child would have been locked in the house or taken out for the day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Artic wrote:
Scott M scribbled...

When I was 4, I ran towards the running prop of an aeroplane.

Are you attempting to transfer the blame onto the dead child?

Not at all, that would be somewhat ridiculous, just an allusion.

The situation could have just as easily been "I thought she was
indoors." He didn't know she was stood by him as it went Pete Tong.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Could this be the result of too much nanny stating in his youth coupled with
no enough real life experiencing of danger?

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"BD" wrote in message
ldhosting.com...
Father watches in horror as his four-year-old daughter is killed when
SIX breeze blocks fall on her while he tears down garden shed

http://tinyurl.com/m5dobr2

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 21:47:28 +0100, Scott M wrote:

But short of tying them down they have independent movement and pop up
in unexpected places.

Which is precisely why small children either need to be supervised
*all* the time in a "dangerous enviroment" or removed from it.

When I was 4, I ran towards the running prop of an aeroplane.

No.1 Daughter tried to run across a road for no apparent reason, with
out warning and near parked cars about that age. I got a hand onto
her shoulder and I think must have picked her up with that single
grip and deposited her back on the pavement at least a couple of feet
back. Daft thing is she *knew* the road was dangerous, she *knew* how
to cross safely. Young kids are totally unpredictable, curious and
fearless.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BD wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/m5dobr2

That's a six-*foot* shed wall, not a six-feet shed wall. Sheesh.
Don't journalists get lerned inglish no more?

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2013 18:42, BD wrote:
Father watches in horror as his four-year-old daughter is killed when
SIX breeze blocks fall on her while he tears down garden shed

http://tinyurl.com/m5dobr2

Why are people dragging up old mail articles or is this harry again?

No, this one actually is today.

I see its the findings of the inquest for one that happened months ago,
that's why it sounds old news.

I think I recall a similar incident a few years ago too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 22/08/2013 18:42, BD wrote:
Father watches in horror as his four-year-old daughter is killed when
SIX breeze blocks fall on her while he tears down garden shed

http://tinyurl.com/m5dobr2

Why are people dragging up old mail articles or is this harry again?

They started the inquest today so they broke out the library footage.
Cheap tv.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 21:54:57 +0100, Artic wrote:

When I was 4, I ran towards the running prop of an aeroplane.

Are you attempting to transfer the blame onto the dead child?

I doubt it.
Are you an arsehole?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
No.1 Daughter tried to run across a road for no apparent reason, with
out warning and near parked cars about that age. I got a hand onto
her shoulder and I think must have picked her up with that single
grip and deposited her back on the pavement at least a couple of feet
back. Daft thing is she *knew* the road was dangerous, she *knew* how
to cross safely. Young kids are totally unpredictable, curious and
fearless.

I remember when it was common to have toddlers in reins. When the roads
were a lot less busy than now. But I suppose it cramps the little
darling's style and leaves them marked for life. Yet you are required by
law to have a dog on a lead in the same circumstances.

--
*IF A PARSLEY FARMER IS SUED, CAN THEY GARNISH HIS WAGES?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 00:24:59 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I remember when it was common to have toddlers in reins.

Both of ours had reins for a short while. Probably no longer than 12
months, if that, from around 18 months when they had figured out how
to walk reliably and could do so for a reasonable distance. They
where also clipped into the push chair to stop 'em escaping without
warning.

You do still see toddlers in reins or with a springy plastic wire
wrist strap between toddler and parent.

But I suppose it cramps the little darling's style and leaves them
marked for life.

Not half as cramped or as marked for life that a tonne+ of steel at
30 mph will do to 'em...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/22/2013 7:24 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
No.1 Daughter tried to run across a road for no apparent reason, with
out warning and near parked cars about that age. I got a hand onto
her shoulder and I think must have picked her up with that single
grip and deposited her back on the pavement at least a couple of feet
back. Daft thing is she *knew* the road was dangerous, she *knew* how
to cross safely. Young kids are totally unpredictable, curious and
fearless.

I remember when it was common to have toddlers in reins. When the roads
were a lot less busy than now. But I suppose it cramps the little
darling's style and leaves them marked for life. Yet you are required by
law to have a dog on a lead in the same circumstances.

We used reins with our kids. We also used the reins to keep them safely
in the seats of shopping trolleys.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/22/2013 6:01 PM, Tim Streater wrote:

When I was 7, I climbed up on my father's arm chair, got down his bottle
of lighter fuel, opened the door of the Rayburn, and poured some in.

Was the Rayburn lit at the time?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
I remember when it was common to have toddlers in reins. When the roads
were a lot less busy than now. But I suppose it cramps the little
darling's style and leaves them marked for life. Yet you are required by
law to have a dog on a lead in the same circumstances.

I think it died out because parents rarely have the time to walk
at toddler speed nowadays, and dump them in the pushchair instead.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, August 23, 2013 8:01:28 AM UTC+1, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,

"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:

I remember when it was common to have toddlers in reins. When the roads

were a lot less busy than now. But I suppose it cramps the little

darling's style and leaves them marked for life. Yet you are required by

law to have a dog on a lead in the same circumstances.

I think it died out because parents rarely have the time to walk

at toddler speed nowadays, and dump them in the pushchair instead.

--

Andrew Gabriel

Parents couldn't use reins these days, it's not possible to hold back a toddler and text at the same time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:26:12 PM UTC+1, wrote:
BD wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/m5dobr2

That's a six-*foot* shed wall, not a six-feet shed wall. Sheesh.

Don't journalists get lerned inglish no more?

JGH

They let any old rubbish go out on the web site. I think the print version is a little better proof-read.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday 22 August 2013 21:54 Artic wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Scott M scribbled...

fred wrote:
In article , News
writes
In message id,
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts
writes
Scott M wrote:

BD wrote:
[...]

I don't think he was expecting the whole wall to collapse. He probably
thought he'd be taking it down one block at a time.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"News" wrote in message
In message id, Jeremy
Nicoll - news posts writes
Scott M wrote:

BD wrote:
Father watches in horror as his four-year-old daughter is killed when
SIX breeze blocks fall on her while he tears down garden shed

What exactly was he doing that was idiotic?

Having a child in the garden while demolishing anything.

Christ. Give the guy a break. It could indeed happen to any of us.
--
Graeme

+1

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

Snip

RIP the little girl. And thoughts go out to the Dad and family.

I was an accident.

Hindsight is easy.

Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes

I remember when it was common to have toddlers in reins. When the roads
were a lot less busy than now.

Roads up here (Aberdeenshire) are like the roads when I grew up 'down
south' fifty years ago. My son, now aged 12, spent his toddler years
firmly in reins, despite quiet roads.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

I don't think he was expecting the whole wall to collapse. He probably
thought he'd be taking it down one block at a time.

I'm sure, but there's plenty of scope for much lesser accidents in a
situation like this, and you'd still want to keep kids away. Even a chisel
or hammer falling off a low wall onto someone is going to hurt.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday 23 August 2013 21:34 Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Tim Watts wrote:

I don't think he was expecting the whole wall to collapse. He probably
thought he'd be taking it down one block at a time.

I'm sure, but there's plenty of scope for much lesser accidents in a
situation like this, and you'd still want to keep kids away. Even a
chisel or hammer falling off a low wall onto someone is going to hurt.

I was not expecting a piece of PVC to fracture off a but of gutter I was
power sawing and fly past my eye. I'd cut enough before without incident.

The point being, we make risk assessments on the basis of what we know and
expect. Just very occasionally it is possible, even without gross negligence
to be very very unlucky.

This is not in the same league as the bloke taking the wall out from under a
concrete roof.

I took the top 3ft off a brick gate pillar the other day - one brock at a
time with a bolster. It went without incident - although I could clearly see
that the immediate area was clear due to the position I was in.

Whilst it is easy in hindsight to say "waht a dick", looking at the wall, it
was quite likely he was expecting to pop the blocks off one at a time
without much fuss.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
No.1 Daughter tried to run across a road for no apparent reason, with
out warning and near parked cars about that age. I got a hand onto
her shoulder and I think must have picked her up with that single
grip and deposited her back on the pavement at least a couple of feet
back. Daft thing is she *knew* the road was dangerous, she *knew* how
to cross safely. Young kids are totally unpredictable, curious and
fearless.

I remember when it was common to have toddlers in reins. When the roads
were a lot less busy than now. But I suppose it cramps the little
darling's style and leaves them marked for life. Yet you are required by
law to have a dog on a lead in the same circumstances.

We did use reins with ours at times. There is a difference from dogs
though, they mainly have to be on leads to stop them attacking people or
animals - maybe we should reserve the reins for 16-25 year olds!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scott M" wrote in message
fred wrote:
In article , News
writes
In message id, Jeremy
Nicoll - news posts writes
Scott M wrote:

BD wrote:
Father watches in horror as his four-year-old daughter is killed when
SIX breeze blocks fall on her while he tears down garden shed

What exactly was he doing that was idiotic?

Having a child in the garden while demolishing anything.

Christ. Give the guy a break. It could indeed happen to any of us.

Only if terminally stupid, a demolition or tree felling site or insert
many others where things can go wrong very quickly is no place for a 4yr
old eager to 'help daddy' to be playing.

I'm sure he'd agree with you. But short of tying them down they have
independent movement and pop up in unexpected places.

When I was 4, I ran towards the running prop of an aeroplane.

An airfield is the last place you want to take a child.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scott M" wrote in message
Artic wrote:
Scott M scribbled...

When I was 4, I ran towards the running prop of an aeroplane.

Are you attempting to transfer the blame onto the dead child?

Not at all, that would be somewhat ridiculous, just an allusion.

The situation could have just as easily been "I thought she was indoors."
He didn't know she was stood by him as it went Pete Tong.

--
Scott

Well now he knows why children are not allowed on construction sites and
everyone else has to wear a hard hat and asfety boots.
These people always think it won'y happen to them and they know better.
He was definitely in the wrong. Pity the kid had to pay with her life.
It's called being responsible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Baz" wrote in message

Snip

RIP the little girl. And thoughts go out to the Dad and family.

I was an accident.

Hindsight is easy.

Bloody nonesense.
It was predictable, has happened before on many ocasions and he deserves to
be prosecuted or his negligence.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
SteveW wrote:
There is a difference from dogs
though, they mainly have to be on leads to stop them attacking people or
animals

Not so - they can be off the lead in parks etc. So it's to do with road
safety.

Interesting logic. A dog has to be on a lead in case it causes an
accident by running onto the road. A toddler not. Both would suffer more
than the car.

--
*It was all so different before everything changed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 23:29:32 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
SteveW wrote:
There is a difference from dogs
though, they mainly have to be on leads to stop them attacking people or
animals

Not so - they can be off the lead in parks etc. So it's to do with road
safety.

My little(ish) dog can be a bit aggresive with other dogs so it's best
to keep him on a lead in parks. Besides most parks (officially) ask
that dogs are kept on leads. I have a longish retracting lead so
Charlie can sitill gad about a bit, as well as a long training line.

Not too far away there's a small slightly bleak beach where he loves
to run about freely and even play amicably with the other odd dog.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:
"Baz" wrote in message
Snip

RIP the little girl. And thoughts go out to the Dad and family.

I was an accident.

Hindsight is easy.

Bloody nonesense.
It was predictable, has happened before on many ocasions and he deserves to
be prosecuted or his negligence.

Tell me, Harry, is it that you do it on purpose to get a rise from
people or are your thought processes really this strange? Did you do a
lot of LSD in the 60s? Or did you go in for a cosmetic lobotomy once?
Maybe it's a comprehension issue - which also seems to affect anyone
with Harry as a moniker. More likely tho, judging by other posts, it's
simply this, which I see a lot in life: You're old and stupid but you
use the former to insist the latter's not true.

So let's go back to your statements and take a sledgehammer to them,
shall we? "Prosecuted for negligence." This bloke has caused the death
of his child; in what way is being censured by a faceless bureaucracy
going to make how he feels /worse/? And what could they possibly do that
would teach him a better reminder should he ever face doing something
similar again? Or do you envision him up some scaffolding thumping away
at things with a carefree whistle even now?

--
Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott M scribbled...

harryagain wrote:
"Baz" wrote in message
[...]

This bloke could be a serial ****wit, a mobile disaster area. There are
many of them around.

Just because he's killed his own child, that doesn't mean he's learned
any kind of lesson. There are plenty of examples of people who've been
involved in more than one fatal incident. **** knows how many drunk
drivers/speed mad/mobile phone users kill their kids every year. They
know their driving is dangerous, but they still continue until they kill
someone.

Claiming "it could be any of us" is ********. Especially saying that in
a group like this, where people are constantly warned they could be
attemping to do something stupid and dangerous.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article sting.com,
Artic wrote:
Claiming "it could be any of us" is ********. Especially saying that in
a group like this, where people are constantly warned they could be
attemping to do something stupid and dangerous.

I tend to agree. There have been several cases of kids injured due to
being around where DIY is happening. So it does no harm to emphasise the
possible dangers. Same with pets. Can't be that difficult to keep them
away from the area.

--
*Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Pretend you know an idiot... Greg Guarino[_2_] Woodworking 28 May 8th 13 03:17 PM
Idiot Sightings Harry K Home Repair 6 July 26th 12 07:55 PM
Sometimes I'm an idiot Bob La Londe Metalworking 4 September 23rd 10 10:25 PM
I'm such an idiot! zxcvbob Home Repair 5 August 27th 07 12:24 PM
Idiot needs help Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) UK diy 12 April 16th 07 07:57 PM