Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hozelock conundrum

What I need is either a "double female" connector (which would be the
opposite of the "double male" ones, and definitely not the 'hoze repair'
item), or alternatively a threaded-tap-to-female connector.

There are thousands of threaded-tap-to-male connectors, and adding the
"double female" to that would create the threaded-tap-to-female
function.

I can't find these anywhere; the best, but very messy, workaround being
a pair of back-to-back hose-to-female connectors (and a two-inch hose).

[Not worried if it's an official yellow-and-four-times-the-price one, or
a plug-compatible in green/blue/whatever.]
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
What I need is either a "double female" connector (which would be the
opposite of the "double male" ones, and definitely not the 'hoze repair'
item), or alternatively a threaded-tap-to-female connector.

I thought a hose repair was double female fitting. Guess I don't understand
the question.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/26/2013 03:33 PM, Roland Perry wrote:
What I need is either a "double female" connector (which would be the
opposite of the "double male" ones, and definitely not the 'hoze repair'
item), or alternatively a threaded-tap-to-female connector.

There are thousands of threaded-tap-to-male connectors, and adding the
"double female" to that would create the threaded-tap-to-female function.

I can't find these anywhere; the best, but very messy, workaround being
a pair of back-to-back hose-to-female connectors (and a two-inch hose).

[Not worried if it's an official yellow-and-four-times-the-price one, or
a plug-compatible in green/blue/whatever.]

Are you saying your hose has a male fitting on the end ? Why not change it?

Andy C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
What I need is either a "double female" connector (which would be the
opposite of the "double male" ones, and definitely not the 'hoze repair'
item), or alternatively a threaded-tap-to-female connector.

There are thousands of threaded-tap-to-male connectors, and adding the
"double female" to that would create the threaded-tap-to-female function.

I can't find these anywhere; the best, but very messy, workaround being a
pair of back-to-back hose-to-female connectors (and a two-inch hose).

[Not worried if it's an official yellow-and-four-times-the-price one, or a
plug-compatible in green/blue/whatever.]
--
Roland Perry

I don't know what you are trying to achieve but would suggest that there is
bound to be a more elegant solution.
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/06/2013 15:33, Roland Perry wrote:
What I need is either a "double female" connector (which would be the
opposite of the "double male" ones, and definitely not the 'hoze repair'
item), or alternatively a threaded-tap-to-female connector.

There are thousands of threaded-tap-to-male connectors, and adding the
"double female" to that would create the threaded-tap-to-female function.

I can't find these anywhere; the best, but very messy, workaround being
a pair of back-to-back hose-to-female connectors (and a two-inch hose).

[Not worried if it's an official yellow-and-four-times-the-price one, or
a plug-compatible in green/blue/whatever.]

Check out the "brass socket" half way down this page

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/158a.asp

Tap connectors are half inch BSP (I think)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/06/13 15:33, Roland Perry wrote:
What I need is either a "double female" connector (which would be the
opposite of the "double male" ones, and definitely not the 'hoze
repair' item), or alternatively a threaded-tap-to-female connector.

There are thousands of threaded-tap-to-male connectors, and adding the
"double female" to that would create the threaded-tap-to-female function.

I can't find these anywhere; the best, but very messy, workaround
being a pair of back-to-back hose-to-female connectors (and a two-inch
hose).

[Not worried if it's an official yellow-and-four-times-the-price one,
or a plug-compatible in green/blue/whatever.]

fairly sure I've GOT a double female somewhere..standard hozelock.

easy enough to make wit a short bit of hose and two females

here is a threaded female
In brass..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quick-Rele...-/150989349835

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at
16:05:28 on Wed, 26 Jun 2013, mark
remarked:
What I need is either a "double female" connector (which would be the
opposite of the "double male" ones, and definitely not the 'hoze repair'
item), or alternatively a threaded-tap-to-female connector.

I thought a hose repair was double female fitting.

No, a hose repair is hose to hose.

Contrast that with what you often put on the end of a hose: a hose to
female.

Guess I don't understand the question.

What I want is a female to female.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 16:24:49 on Wed, 26 Jun
2013, Brian Gaff remarked:
From memory they nearly all leak or fall apart in a year in any case. How on
earth is it that tis simple device can be such a heap of crap?

Nothing like as bad as that.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 16:50:40 on Wed, 26
Jun 2013, Nick remarked:
I don't know what you are trying to achieve but would suggest that there is
bound to be a more elegant solution.

I'm trying to go from a threaded tap to connector welded onto a hose
that screws onto a threaded tap, but with a hoselock in the middle.

The most elegant seems to be:

Screw tap to male
Female to female
Male to screw-that-fits-the-hose (the latter sometimes called an
appliance connector).

--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at
16:15:25 on Wed, 26 Jun 2013, Andy Cap
remarked:
Are you saying your hose has a male fitting on the end ? Why not change it?

In a sense - the hose has a screw connector that fits directly onto the
tap. But the mission is to make it click-connect.

I can't change the fitting on the end of the hose because it's a fancy
'flat' hose where the current connector is welded on. All I can do is
screw in a fitting that turns it into a hose with a male on the end.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at
17:01:35 on Wed, 26 Jun 2013, newshound
remarked:
Check out the "brass socket" half way down this page

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/158a.asp

Tap connectors are half inch BSP (I think)

No, that's a screw connector, not a Hozelock.

What I need is something with a pair of the *bottom* half of this:

http://spares.hozelock.com/product/9...d-connector-1/

(A hose connector, which I don't want, has a pair of the top half).

The inelegant solution is to buy two of these, and put very short length
of hose between them; but in the final assembly that's four connectors
one after the other, and I'd really rather do it with fewer.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roland Perry wrote:
What I need is either a "double female" connector (which would be the
opposite of the "double male" ones, and definitely not the 'hoze repair'
item), or alternatively a threaded-tap-to-female connector.

There are thousands of threaded-tap-to-male connectors, and adding the
"double female" to that would create the threaded-tap-to-female function.

I can't find these anywhere; the best, but very messy, workaround being a
pair of back-to-back hose-to-female connectors (and a two-inch hose).

[Not worried if it's an official yellow-and-four-times-the-price one, or
a plug-compatible in green/blue/whatever.]

A quick scan through google images would suggest that such a beast doesn't
exist.

Do you really *need* one or just want one? Most folk seem to manage
without by arranging the polarity of their hose ends in such a way that the
requirement doesn't arise.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
16:15:25 on Wed, 26 Jun 2013, Andy Cap remarked:
Are you saying your hose has a male fitting on the end ? Why not change it?

In a sense - the hose has a screw connector that fits directly onto the
tap. But the mission is to make it click-connect.

I can't change the fitting on the end of the hose because it's a fancy
'flat' hose where the current connector is welded on. All I can do is
screw in a fitting that turns it into a hose with a male on the end.

Um, what's wrong with one of these?

http://www.easywatering.co.uk/acatal...or_-_2170.html

Screw on to hose, fit male nozzle to tap & Bob's your father's brother.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:

I'm trying to go from a threaded tap to connector welded onto a hose
that screws onto a threaded tap, but with a hoselock in the middle.

The most elegant seems to be:

Screw tap to male
Female to female
Male to screw-that-fits-the-hose (the latter sometimes called an
appliance connector).

Wouldn't a "screw tap to male" and one of http://goo.gl/oqZj3 screwed
on the hose do? Sounds like it's designed to fit a flat hose...

Assuming that's the correct thread anyway.

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message

nal-september.org, at 21:23:13 on Wed, 26 Jun 2013, Tim+
remarked:

Do you really *need* one or just want one?

I'm trying to make it look as neat as possible

Most folk seem to manage
without by arranging the polarity of their hose ends in such a way that the
requirement doesn't arise.

I have explained why I can't change the polarity at the hose end, but I
suppose if there was a threaded-tap to female-hozelock connector
available I could use one of those. But I couldn't find one of those
either.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 21:32:14 +0100, Tim+ wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
16:15:25 on Wed, 26 Jun 2013, Andy Cap
remarked:
Are you saying your hose has a male fitting on the end ? Why not
change it?

In a sense - the hose has a screw connector that fits directly onto the
tap. But the mission is to make it click-connect.

I can't change the fitting on the end of the hose because it's a fancy
'flat' hose where the current connector is welded on. All I can do is
screw in a fitting that turns it into a hose with a male on the end.

Um, what's wrong with one of these?

http://www.easywatering.co.uk/acatalog/

Hozelock_Flat_Hose_Male_Threaded_Adaptor_-_2170.html

Screw on to hose, fit male nozzle to tap & Bob's your father's brother.

Tim

And for anyone who has the opposite problem

http://www.easywatering.co.uk/acatalog/
Hozelock_Accessory_Adapter_2289.html

turns the end of the hose into a male.

And Bobbie is your mother's sister.

So you have all the options required for gender reallocation.

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message

nal-september.org, at 21:32:14 on Wed, 26 Jun 2013, Tim+
remarked:
Um, what's wrong with one of these?

http://www.easywatering.co.uk/acatal...or_-_2170.html

Screw on to hose, fit male nozzle to tap & Bob's your father's brother.

Thanks, that will do nicely. (Hadn't seen that combination before).
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roland Perry
writes
In message , at
16:15:25 on Wed, 26 Jun 2013, Andy Cap
remarked:
Are you saying your hose has a male fitting on the end ? Why not change it?

In a sense - the hose has a screw connector that fits directly onto the
tap. But the mission is to make it click-connect.

I can't change the fitting on the end of the hose because it's a fancy
'flat' hose where the current connector is welded on. All I can do is
screw in a fitting that turns it into a hose with a male on the end.

I had one of those - just chopped off the welded on end and fitted it to
a normal hozelock connector
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 20:43:43 on Wed, 26
Jun 2013, David.WE.Roberts remarked:
And for anyone who has the opposite problem

http://www.easywatering.co.uk/acatalog/Hozelock_Accessory_Adapter_2289.html

turns the end of the hose into a male.

Actually, I [and more to the point, local shops)] have one of those.
It's the "downstream" half of what I wanted to plug into the
double-female connector.
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message

nal-september.org, at 21:32:14 on Wed, 26 Jun 2013, Tim+
remarked:
Um, what's wrong with one of these?

http://www.easywatering.co.uk/acatal...or_-_2170.html

Currently what's wrong is they want £4 p&p on top of the inflated £4.70
price of buying one of the 'genuine' Hozelock items. If there was a
'compatible' one in the shops it would be about £1.50 all up.

Oh, and despite using their own postcode checker (which fills in street
address and county only) it insists I fill in the "Country" field (as
UK) before proceeding to the next screen, which is the one that springs
the p&p charge on you.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
nal-september.org, at 21:32:14 on Wed, 26 Jun 2013, Tim+
remarked:
Um, what's wrong with one of these?

http://www.easywatering.co.uk/acatal...or_-_2170.html

Currently what's wrong is they want £4 p&p on top of the inflated £4.70
price of buying one of the 'genuine' Hozelock items. If there was a
'compatible' one in the shops it would be about £1.50 all up.

Oh, and despite using their own postcode checker (which fills in street
address and county only) it insists I fill in the "Country" field (as UK)
before proceeding to the next screen, which is the one that springs the p&p charge on you.

Don't buy Hozelock then. Just use any compatible female connector, throw
away the screw collar that's normally used to secure it to the cut hose end
and then grind/file the exposed end flat so that it will form a seal
against the washer in the end of your flat hose screw connector.

Pretty sure it's the same thread and I've done this myself in the past.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
-septembe
r.org, at 10:58:27 on Thu, 27 Jun 2013, Tim+
remarked:
Just use any compatible female connector, throw
away the screw collar that's normally used to secure it to the cut hose end
and then grind/file the exposed end flat so that it will form a seal
against the washer in the end of your flat hose screw connector.

Pretty sure it's the same thread and I've done this myself in the past.

I've tried that and the thread is slightly different. One of my
neighbours is going to try the same (again), because he's convinced
it'll work. I'll let everyone know what happens...
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roland Perry wrote:
In message -septembe
r.org, at 10:58:27 on Thu, 27 Jun 2013, Tim+ remarked:
Just use any compatible female connector, throw
away the screw collar that's normally used to secure it to the cut hose end
and then grind/file the exposed end flat so that it will form a seal
against the washer in the end of your flat hose screw connector.

Pretty sure it's the same thread and I've done this myself in the past.

I've tried that and the thread is slightly different. One of my
neighbours is going to try the same (again), because he's convinced it'll
work. I'll let everyone know what happens...

Ah, I've just had a rummage in my garage. Some very old non-hozelock
branded fittings do have an identical thread but the new hozelock ones have
a slightly different one. Nothing that a bit (or a lot) of PTFE tape
couldn't fill though. ;-)

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message 1488149147394032885.601597timdownie2003-nospampleaseyahoo.co
, at 14:36:55 on Thu, 27 Jun 2013, Tim+
remarked:
Just use any compatible female connector, throw
away the screw collar that's normally used to secure it to the cut hose end
and then grind/file the exposed end flat so that it will form a seal
against the washer in the end of your flat hose screw connector.

Pretty sure it's the same thread and I've done this myself in the past.

I've tried that and the thread is slightly different. One of my
neighbours is going to try the same (again), because he's convinced it'll
work. I'll let everyone know what happens...

Ah, I've just had a rummage in my garage. Some very old non-hozelock
branded fittings do have an identical thread but the new hozelock ones have
a slightly different one.

Well, we have a "result" as the football commentators say.

The neighbour's attempt failed (as I suspected it might), and while I
was in town today I looked around the hardware stall in the weekly
market, and found they had a bucket of "we don't know what these are
because the blister pack has gone missing" hose widgets.

Their still-in-blister-pack hose widgets are only £1 each (for a wide
variety of sex changes), but he was delighted to sell me the one I
recognised as the one I needed, in his oddments bucket, for 20p. I think
he was almost going to give it me for free.

Installed on a different neighbour's flat hose; and great delight all
round. A two-widget solution rather than the three-widget I'd resigned
to, or the four-widget that was the most 'obvious'.

Nothing that a bit (or a lot) of PTFE tape couldn't fill though. ;-)

Quite happy to be packing it out if required, but the size mismatch is
that the male thread is *larger* than the female one. (Brings tears to
the eyes, I'm told).
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/06/2013 21:19, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
17:01:35 on Wed, 26 Jun 2013, newshound
remarked:
Check out the "brass socket" half way down this page

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/158a.asp

Tap connectors are half inch BSP (I think)

No, that's a screw connector, not a Hozelock.

What I need is something with a pair of the *bottom* half of this:

http://spares.hozelock.com/product/9...d-connector-1/

(A hose connector, which I don't want, has a pair of the top half).

The inelegant solution is to buy two of these, and put very short length
of hose between them; but in the final assembly that's four connectors
one after the other, and I'd really rather do it with fewer.

No, I'm pretty sure you'll find the hose end fitting of that is half
inch BSP. So take two of those, remove and throw away the hose "nuts"
and screw them into each end of the thing I pointed you at. Maybe with a
bit of PTFE tape or thread sealant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at
22:35:36 on Thu, 27 Jun 2013, newshound
remarked:
No, I'm pretty sure you'll find the hose end fitting of that is half
inch BSP.

Having had two different people try this and fail, I'm pretty sure they
aren't. That is, trying to turn the outside tap into a female Hozelock.
I already had the part which would turn the hoze into a male Hozelock,
so didn't expect (and couldn't see) a hose-female.

So take two of those, remove and throw away the hose "nuts" and screw
them into each end of the thing I pointed you at. Maybe with a bit of
PTFE tape or thread sealant.

And the plastic thread is bigger, so PTFE tape would just make it worse.

Got the part I needed from a bin-end in the market, eventually.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Roland I thought I was the only one with this problem. My hose has a male connection and so does my long handle sprayer neither of these can be changed because of the screw conectar the othe end of the male. So what I need is a double female connector to connect them, you would think I was asking for the moon. But it seems no one does one. So I'm stumped
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Hi Roland I thought I was the only one with this problem. My hose has a
male connection and so does my long handle sprayer neither of these can
be changed because of the screw conectar the othe end of the male. So
what I need is a double female connector to connect them, you would think
I was asking for the moon. But it seems no one does one. So I'm stumped

a very short length of hose with a female connector at each end?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

soup wrote:
On 25/07/2016 20:10, Michael Chare wrote:
On 25/07/2016 15:50, soup wrote:
On 25/07/2016 14:02, wrote:
Hi Roland I thought I was the only one with this problem. My hose has
a male connection and so does my long handle sprayer neither of these
can be changed because of the screw conectar the othe end of the male.
So what I need is a double female connector to connect them, you would
think I was asking for the moon. But it seems no one does one. So I'm
stumped
All I can see is male to male connectors.
Every hose I have seen actually ends in a female connector .
Any future in actually cutting off the end you have now and making
good with a female connector hose end.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/hozelock-hose-connector-with-aquastop/4861j

Just remember to use the hose the right way round!
Alternatively, does this not do what the OP wants?
http://www.screwfix.com/p/hozelock-h...onnector/44928

Nope, well don't think it does (I am not the OP so don't know the
specifics) . That connects hose to hose it does not
connect to a sprayer(or indeed an accessory of any type).

That does not accept plugs of any type it screws down over hose ends.

More often than not in my experience, if you can't find the right connector
to do what you want it's because you're doing it wrong. ;-)

A bit of "polarity reversal" usually sorts out most connector problems.

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2016 15:50, soup wrote:
On 25/07/2016 14:02, wrote:
[...]

OK, I agree. Perhaps the hose should have a female connector, and be
used with a double male if it needs to connect to a female

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2016 15:50, soup wrote:
On 25/07/2016 14:02, wrote:
[...]

It only needs to connect to a male though.
It should only need a hose to female connector (as per my above).
I can't see how the OP has a hose which ends in a male connector.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2016 15:50, soup wrote:
On 25/07/2016 14:02, wrote:
[...]

when this type of fitting first appeared, hoses had a male end - just like
a tap. Then suddenely hoses had female ends.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2016 22:23, charles wrote:
On 25/07/2016 15:50, soup wrote:
On 25/07/2016 14:02, wrote:
[...]

That must have been a while ago. Have only ever seen hoses with female
fitting ends but then have only had a garden for eighteen years.
Surely a hose at that age will need replaced .

At the very least lose the end of the hose, and put on a fitting to
turn the end of the hose to female. All(?) the accessories sold
nowadays assume the hose will be fitted with a female end.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2016 15:50, soup wrote:
On 25/07/2016 14:02, wrote:
[...]

Possibly for use as an extension which connects to a tap and then goes
to a normal double female hose!

--
Michael Chare

---

Hozelock O-rings Al, Cambridge, UK UK diy 22 May 19th 20 03:40 PM
Hozelock - WTF?!? Halmyre UK diy 14 June 4th 13 01:17 PM
Hozelock 'O' rings Grimly Curmudgeon UK diy 14 July 9th 10 09:33 PM
Hozelock stop - male. Ian Stirling UK diy 10 July 9th 06 10:53 AM
Hozelock 'stop' plugs? Ian Stirling UK diy 1 June 24th 05 05:22 PM