Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hozelock - WTF?!?

Our venerable hose reel refuses to accept a push-on connector any
more. No problem thinks I, I've got a spare tap fitting that looks
like it'll do the job, unscrew the fitting from the hose reel
and...it's a different size to the tap fitting! What is the ****ing
point of making two otherwise identically shaped bits of plastic with
two different thread diameters?

--
Halmyre
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 25, 8:52*pm, Halmyre wrote:
Our venerable hose reel refuses to accept a push-on connector any
more. No problem thinks I, I've got a spare tap fitting that looks
like it'll do the job, unscrew the fitting from the hose reel
and...it's a different size to the tap fitting! What is the ****ing
point of making two otherwise identically shaped bits of plastic with
two different thread diameters?

--
Halmyre

take the O ring from the new and fit to the old?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Halmyre wrote:
Our venerable hose reel refuses to accept a push-on connector any
more. No problem thinks I, I've got a spare tap fitting that looks
like it'll do the job, unscrew the fitting from the hose reel
and...it's a different size to the tap fitting! What is the ****ing
point of making two otherwise identically shaped bits of plastic with
two different thread diameters?

Heh, I got caught out by that last year.

Seems hozelock have something that has both threads - something like
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0034G5NQI I ended up finding and that sorted
it. Suspect something similar for yours (might even be that one :-))

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2013 20:52, Halmyre wrote:
Our venerable hose reel refuses to accept a push-on connector any
more. No problem thinks I, I've got a spare tap fitting that looks
like it'll do the job, unscrew the fitting from the hose reel
and...it's a different size to the tap fitting! What is the ****ing
point of making two otherwise identically shaped bits of plastic with
two different thread diameters?

--
Halmyre

Hozelock tap connectors come with a thread adaptor - maybe that would help?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Halmyre wrote:
Our venerable hose reel refuses to accept a push-on connector any
more. No problem thinks I, I've got a spare tap fitting that looks
like it'll do the job, unscrew the fitting from the hose reel
and...it's a different size to the tap fitting! What is the ****ing
point of making two otherwise identically shaped bits of plastic with
two different thread diameters?

To cater for both tap threads.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 25, 9:51*pm, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
On 25/05/2013 20:52, Halmyre wrote: Our venerable hose reel refuses to accept a push-on connector any
more. No problem thinks I, I've got a spare tap fitting that looks
like it'll do the job, unscrew the fitting from the hose reel
and...it's a different size to the tap fitting! What is the ****ing
point of making two otherwise identically shaped bits of plastic with
two different thread diameters?

Hozelock tap connectors come with a thread adaptor - maybe that would help?

You'd think so, wouldn't you? Guess what...

--
Halmyre
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 25, 9:47*pm, (D.M.Chapman) wrote:
In article ,

Halmyre wrote:
Our venerable hose reel refuses to accept a push-on connector any
more. No problem thinks I, I've got a spare tap fitting that looks
like it'll do the job, unscrew the fitting from the hose reel
and...it's a different size to the tap fitting! What is the ****ing
point of making two otherwise identically shaped bits of plastic with
two different thread diameters?

Heh, I got caught out by that last year.

Seems hozelock have something that has both threads - something likehttp://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0034G5NQII ended up finding and that sorted
it. Suspect something similar for yours (might even be that one :-))

Darren

No, I've got that item. The yellow thread is too large and the white
bit is too small by a gnat's ********. I think what I need is this:

http://www.getprice.com.au/images/up.../hzlz21755.jpg

A Hozelock 5/8 threaded union. £2.75 from Hozelock, free delivery, woo-
hoo.

--
Halmyre
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 25 May 2013 20:52:31 UTC+1, Halmyre wrote:
Our venerable hose reel refuses to accept a push-on connector any

more. No problem thinks I, I've got a spare tap fitting that looks

like it'll do the job, unscrew the fitting from the hose reel

and...it's a different size to the tap fitting! What is the ****ing

point of making two otherwise identically shaped bits of plastic with

two different thread diameters?

--

Halmyre

Set up my hose reel for the plasterer recently (bib tap adapter also fits washing machine taps BTW), and once it had mains pressure a fitting blew off. Clean up mess. Then happens again with a different fitting.

Seems once Hozelock push-lock fittings get a little worn they're no longer good for mains water pressure.

Went to ToolStation instead. Their no-name brass fittings slightly cheaper than Hozelock plastic and MUCH better quality. Their no-name plastic fittings A LOT cheaper than Hozelock, and still better quality.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I bought the toolsatan brass set thinking bargain! Had some issues later where hoselocks wouldn't connect & or fittings wouldn't seal or blew apart. O rings seemed to be the prob.
in the end went back to hoselocks!

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday 01 June 2013 09:51 Jim K wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I bought the toolsatan brass set thinking bargain! Had some issues later
where hoselocks wouldn't connect & or fittings wouldn't seal or blew
apart. O rings seemed to be the prob. in the end went back to hoselocks!

Jim K

Isn't Gardena supposed to be better?

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 1 Jun 2013 01:51:13 -0700 (PDT), Jim K
wrote:

I bought the toolsatan brass set thinking bargain! Had some issues later where hoselocks wouldn't connect & or fittings wouldn't seal or blew apart. O rings seemed to be the prob.
in the end went back to hoselocks!

I've been using the Adli/Lidl brass hozelock fittings for a couple of
years, no problems. They've been left out all winter, run over (which
is the major killer of the plastic ones here) several times and still
fit perfectly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

I've been using the Adli/Lidl brass hozelock fittings for a couple of
years, no problems. They've been left out all winter, run over (which
is the major killer of the plastic ones here) several times and still
fit perfectly.

Me too. Some of my Hoselocks started seeping when left on
permanently, the cheap brass ones seem OK so far.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 8:13:42 AM UTC+1, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

I've been using the Adli/Lidl brass hozelock fittings for a couple of

years, no problems. They've been left out all winter, run over (which

is the major killer of the plastic ones here) several times and still

fit perfectly.

Me too. Some of my Hoselocks started seeping when left on

permanently, the cheap brass ones seem OK so far.

Chris

--

Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

I bought a bag of 'O' rings on ebay a few years back. Great investment. Any time one of these fittings leaks replacing the 'O' ring cures the problem.

Some of the male fittings on the cheap imported spray guns can be a problem. Don't seem to project enough to let the snap-lock fitting lock into position
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 26, 5:12*am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
Maybe its French.

It's definitely a load of merde.

Got the adapter from Hozelock, £2.75 and my reel's as good as new
(apart from the rotating collar on the handle which is free to slide
off and cause me to crack my knuckles on the paving slabs).

--
Halmyre