Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT the headline writers simply gert worse every year

A motorist with a fear of *bridges* called police in a panic while
travelling along one of the countrys busiest motorways after realising
he was about to travel *under* the River Thames, it emerged today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-Crossing.html

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 12:11:08 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

A motorist with a fear of *bridges* called police in a panic while
travelling along one of the country’s busiest motorways after realising
he was about to travel *under* the River Thames, it emerged today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-Crossing.html

Perhaps she was OK with tunnels but the mere sight of the QE2 was
enough to set her off.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A motorist with a fear of *bridges* called police in a panic while
travelling along one of the country’s busiest motorways after realising
he was about to travel *under* the River Thames, it emerged today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-Crossing.html

Perhaps she was OK with tunnels but the mere sight of the QE2 was
enough to set her off.

Daily Mail says:

Driver with terrifying fear of TUNNELS rescued by police after his
sat-nav took him to the Dartford Crossing by mistake

By Simon Tomlinson

A driver who is terrified of bridges and tunnels called 999 after his
sat-nav wrongly directed him to the Dartford Crossing and he realised he
couldn't turn back.

Gephyrophobia is a fear of bridges and is often combined with a fear of
tunnels, normally associated to agoraphobia or claustrophobia.

Read mo
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2MfdXkbaR

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A motorist with a fear of *bridges* called police in a panic while
travelling along one of the country’s busiest motorways after realising
he was about to travel *under* the River Thames, it emerged today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-Crossing.html

Perhaps she was OK with tunnels but the mere sight of the QE2 was
enough to set her off.

Unable to turn back? Last time I went that way, you could turn off right
up to the point where you paid the toll. In fact, checking on
Streetview, there's an escape lane a few yards after the toll booths.

If the driver wanted to avoid *all* bridges and tunnels on the way from
Kent to Essex, that's a *long* diversion unless you're not afraid to
take a boat trip, and I'm wondering how the driver got from Essex in the
first place.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
A motorist with a fear of *bridges* called police in a panic while
travelling along one of the country‘s busiest motorways after realising
he was about to travel *under* the River Thames, it emerged today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-Crossing.html

Bit early for the silly season?

--
*If work is so terrific, how come they have to pay you to do it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One might say, a bridge too far then.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

A motorist with a fear of *bridges* called police in a panic while
travelling along one of the country's busiest motorways after realising he
was about to travel *under* the River Thames, it emerged today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-Crossing.html

--
Ineptocracy

lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members
of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded
with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 13:59:27 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
A motorist with a fear of *bridges* called police in a panic while
travelling along one of the country‘s busiest motorways after realising
he was about to travel *under* the River Thames, it emerged today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-Crossing.html

Bit early for the silly season?

We've already had a thread about a pontif - now it's a pont if...
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , polygonum
writes
wrote:

A motorist with a fear of *bridges* called police in a panic while
travelling along one of the countrys busiest motorways after realising
he was about to travel *under* the River Thames, it emerged today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...nsport/9909519
/Motorist-with-fear-of-bridges-needed-police-escort-to-enter-Dartford-
Crossing.html

Perhaps she was OK with tunnels but the mere sight of the QE2 was
enough to set her off.

Daily Mail says:

Driver with terrifying fear of TUNNELS rescued by police after his
sat-nav took him to the Dartford Crossing by mistake

By Simon Tomlinson

A driver who is terrified of bridges and tunnels called 999 after his
sat-nav wrongly directed him to the Dartford Crossing and he realised
he couldn't turn back.

Gephyrophobia is a fear of bridges and is often combined with a fear of
tunnels, normally associated to agoraphobia or claustrophobia.

Read mo
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rifying-fear-B
RIDGES-rescued-police-sat-nav-took-Dartford-Crossing-mistake.html#ixzz2M
fdXkbaR

Which just goes to show that the much maligned Mail is more reliable
than the Telegraph. What did the Sun have to say anyone?
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A motorist with a fear of *bridges* called police in a panic while
travelling along one of the countrys busiest motorways after realising
he was about to travel *under* the River Thames, it emerged today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-Crossing.html

He was probably in shock at the thought of £2 to cross the bloody river.
Thieving Barstewards!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A motorist with a fear of *bridges* called police in a panic while
travelling along one of the countrys busiest motorways after realising
he was about to travel *under* the River Thames, it emerged today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-Crossing.html

He was probably in shock at the thought of £2 to cross the bloody river.
Thieving Barstewards!

Just an aside. A couple of years ago, we holidayed in France, every toll
was payable by cash or card. On returning to the UK we used the Dartford
crossing and discovered that it was payable only by cash, we had no
sterling and there was nowhere to easily escape when we couldn't use a card.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...sport/9909519/
Motorist-with-fear-of-bridges-needed-police-escort-to-enter-Dartford-Cr
ossing.html

He was probably in shock at the thought of £2 to cross the bloody
river. Thieving Barstewards!

Well that's a lot less than avoiding Birmingham on the M6
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2013 01:14, bert wrote:
In message , The Medway Handyman
writes

A motorist with a fear of *bridges* called police in a panic while
travelling along one of the countrys busiest motorways after realising
he was about to travel *under* the River Thames, it emerged today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...sport/9909519/
Motorist-with-fear-of-bridges-needed-police-escort-to-enter-Dartford-Cr
ossing.html

He was probably in shock at the thought of £2 to cross the bloody
river. Thieving Barstewards!

Well that's a lot less than avoiding Birmingham on the M6

That one will let you pay by card, sterling or Euros.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2013 01:14, bert wrote:
In message , The Medway Handyman
writes

A motorist with a fear of *bridges* called police in a panic while
travelling along one of the countrys busiest motorways after realising
he was about to travel *under* the River Thames, it emerged today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...sport/9909519/
Motorist-with-fear-of-bridges-needed-police-escort-to-enter-Dartford-Cr
ossing.html

He was probably in shock at the thought of £2 to cross the bloody
river. Thieving Barstewards!

Well that's a lot less than avoiding Birmingham on the M6

Some people would be willing to pay a lot more than that to avoid
Birmingham. :-)

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 6:27:28 PM UTC, The Medway Handyman wrote:

A motorist with a fear of *bridges* called police in a panic while

travelling along one of the country’s busiest motorways after realising

he was about to travel *under* the River Thames, it emerged today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-Crossing.html

He was probably in shock at the thought of £2 to cross the bloody river..

Thieving Barstewards!

Yeah as I understood it the bridge toll was meant to be removed once the bridge had been paid for, which I tought happened a year opr so ago. Now the excuse seems to be if it was free to many people would use it.

Luckily I don;t drive :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2013 11:28, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 6:27:28 PM UTC, The Medway Handyman wrote:

A motorist with a fear of *bridges* called police in a panic while

travelling along one of the country’s busiest motorways after realising

he was about to travel *under* the River Thames, it emerged today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-Crossing.html

He was probably in shock at the thought of £2 to cross the bloody river.

Thieving Barstewards!

Yeah as I understood it the bridge toll was meant to be removed once the bridge had been paid for, which I tought happened a year opr so ago. Now the excuse seems to be if it was free to many people would use it.

Luckily I don;t drive :-)

The toll on the Dartford crossing was removed a few years ago, after the
period agreed by the government of the day for recovery of the building
costs expired.

It was replaced the following morning by a maintenance charge.....

All legal, and it is now owned, I believe, by a French company, as is
the M6 toll near Birmingham.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2013 11:28, whisky-dave wrote:
Yeah as I understood it the bridge toll was meant to be removed once the bridge had been paid for, which I tought happened a year opr so ago. Now the excuse seems to be if it was free to many people would use it.

Last time I went there was stuck in a traffic jam for nearly an hour,
as it couldn't take the traffic going through.

If there hadn't been any tollbooths I think it would have been fine.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Champ
writes
On 07/03/2013 11:28, whisky-dave wrote:
Yeah as I understood it the bridge toll was meant to be removed once
the bridge had been paid for, which I tought happened a year opr so
ago. Now the excuse seems to be if it was free to many people would
use it.

Last time I went there was stuck in a traffic jam for nearly an hour,
as it couldn't take the traffic going through.

If there hadn't been any tollbooths I think it would have been fine.

Andy

Did you see the article in the Telegraph about map reading being cause
of marital break-ups. One woman described how her husband got really
angry in Scotland as she inadvertently directed him across the Forth
Road Bridge - three times !!
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2013 11:28, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 6:27:28 PM UTC, The Medway Handyman wrote:

A motorist with a fear of *bridges* called police in a panic while

travelling along one of the country’s busiest motorways after realising

he was about to travel *under* the River Thames, it emerged today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-Crossing.html

He was probably in shock at the thought of £2 to cross the bloody river.

Thieving Barstewards!

Yeah as I understood it the bridge toll was meant to be removed once the bridge had been paid for, which I tought happened a year opr so ago. Now the excuse seems to be if it was free to many people would use it.

That was the original promise, but - shock horror - the politicians lied!

The claim was that, if it were free, more people would use it - and
congestion would increase.

Shortly after that, a power failure in Dartford took out all the toll
booths & guess what?

The traffic flowed at twice the speed.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

And they're all bargains compared to the M6 Toll. At least on the first,
last and only occasion I used it, towing my race car on a trailer, and
got charged for 2 cars and a trailer. £11.

Was this a result of their automatic system, or a genuine charge?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A motorist with a fear of *bridges* called police in a panic while
travelling along one of the countrys busiest motorways after realising he
was about to travel *under* the River Thames, it emerged today.

Shortly after taking up my current sales manager job I queried one
salesman's unusually high mileage for a particular trip. It turned out that
he had a fear of crossing bridges and always went the long way round the
M25!

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Muddymike

A motorist with a fear of *bridges* called police in a panic while
travelling along one of the country‘s busiest motorways after realising
he was about to travel *under* the River Thames, it emerged today.

Shortly after taking up my current sales manager job I queried one
salesman's unusually high mileage for a particular trip. It turned out
that he had a fear of crossing bridges and always went the long way
round the M25!

there are plenty of bridges the other way round, but perhaps not quite so
obvious. I wonder how he'd have coped with the M6.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...

A motorist with a fear of *bridges* called police in a panic while
travelling along one of the countrys busiest motorways after realising he
was about to travel *under* the River Thames, it emerged today.

Shortly after taking up my current sales manager job I queried one
salesman's unusually high mileage for a particular trip. It turned out
that he had a fear of crossing bridges and always went the long way round
the M25!

so how did he cross the river at Staines (upon Thames) then?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim..... wrote:
Shortly after taking up my current sales manager job I queried one
salesman's unusually high mileage for a particular trip. It turned out
that he had a fear of crossing bridges and always went the long way
round the M25!

so how did he cross the river at Staines (upon Thames) then?

Most of those sort of bridges you don't really notice. The Dartford
crossing one, you do. It looks quite intimidating approaching it. ;-)

--
*Why do psychics have to ask you for your name? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

In article ,
tim..... wrote:
Shortly after taking up my current sales manager job I queried one
salesman's unusually high mileage for a particular trip. It turned out
that he had a fear of crossing bridges and always went the long way
round the M25!

so how did he cross the river at Staines (upon Thames) then?

Most of those sort of bridges you don't really notice. The Dartford
crossing one, you do. It looks quite intimidating approaching it. ;-)

Try Millau

http://www.flickr.com/photos/djclark/854959381/

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2013 21:39, djc wrote:
In article ,
tim..... wrote:
Shortly after taking up my current sales manager job I queried one
salesman's unusually high mileage for a particular trip. It turned out
that he had a fear of crossing bridges and always went the long way
round the M25!

so how did he cross the river at Staines (upon Thames) then?

Most of those sort of bridges you don't really notice. The Dartford
crossing one, you do. It looks quite intimidating approaching it. ;-)

Try Millau

http://www.flickr.com/photos/djclark/854959381/

I'd like to!

I actually found one of the most disconcerting bridges to be Erskine -
going south (IIRC). Not quite the picture in my head but not a bad
illustration:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65166290@N00/6980051873/

You feel as if you are on top of the bridge and could easily drive off.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Sam Plusnet
writes
In article ,
says...

On Friday 08 March 2013 06:27 John Williamson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 08/03/2013 02:14, Sam Plusnet wrote:
In ,
says...

The toll on the Dartford crossing was removed a few years ago, after the
period agreed by the government of the day for recovery of the building
costs expired.

It was replaced the following morning by a maintenance charge.....

All legal, and it is now owned, I believe, by a French company, as is
the M6 toll near Birmingham.

Plus both Severn Bridges.

Incidently, the toll on these bridges make the Dartford crossing sound
like a bargain.

Indeed. When was doing a regular commute between London and Carmarthen,
I used to go via Oxford, Gloucester and Brecon along the A40 going home,
dodging the toll and using an extra fiver's worth of fuel, then back
along the motorway, using the free direction on the bridge.

http://www.severnbridge.co.uk/toll_prices.shtml

Feck! £6.20 for a car??..

If the original toll had been increased only in line with inflation, it
would now be...

£1.91

Well the Forth Bridge is now slowly falling down having exceed it's
design lifetime so they're about to start all over again.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
bert ] wrote:
Well the Forth Bridge is now slowly falling down having exceed it's
design lifetime so they're about to start all over again.

Makes you wonder what idiot committee approved a 50 year life. Especially
given the one it's next door to. ;-)

--
*Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle drugs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 21:45:36 +0000, polygonum wrote:

Most of those sort of bridges you don't really notice. The Dartford
crossing one, you do. It looks quite intimidating approaching it. ;-)

Try Millau

http://www.flickr.com/photos/djclark/854959381/

Looks nice.

I actually found one of the most disconcerting bridges to be Erskine -
going south (IIRC). Not quite the picture in my head but not a bad
illustration:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65166290@N00/6980051873/

You feel as if you are on top of the bridge and could easily drive off.

Surely the worst bridge must be the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, on a boat:

http://www.holiday-canal-boat.com/im...ysyllte_aquedu
ct.jpg

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 21:45:36 +0000, polygonum wrote:

Most of those sort of bridges you don't really notice. The Dartford
crossing one, you do. It looks quite intimidating approaching it. ;-)

Try Millau

http://www.flickr.com/photos/djclark/854959381/

Looks nice.

I actually found one of the most disconcerting bridges to be Erskine -
going south (IIRC). Not quite the picture in my head but not a bad
illustration:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65166290@N00/6980051873/

You feel as if you are on top of the bridge and could easily drive off.

Surely the worst bridge must be the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, on a boat:

http://www.holiday-canal-boat.com/im...ysyllte_aquedu
ct.jpg

http://www.glyndwr.ac.uk/tour/facilities/

And choose the 6th option down the list. I've stood at the end of it
and did not really fancy the walk across.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday 09 March 2013 00:33 Dave Liquorice wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Surely the worst bridge must be the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, on a boat:

http://www.holiday-canal-boat.com/im...ysyllte_aquedu
ct.jpg

I've been on that.

It's kinda fun to lie on the deck at the back (where there's a gap in the
boat rails both sides) with your head danglingling over the drop on the
left.

Bearing in mind you are also standing there to hold the rudder and throttle.

Whilst drinking beer (was not illegal in 1990, expect they changed that
now)...

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes

Surely the worst bridge must be the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, on a boat:

http://www.holiday-canal-boat.com/im...ysyllte_aquedu
ct.jpg

http://www.glyndwr.ac.uk/tour/facilities/

And choose the 6th option down the list. I've stood at the end of it
and did not really fancy the walk across.

Me too! Not happy about heights.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice :
On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 21:45:36 +0000, polygonum wrote:

Most of those sort of bridges you don't really notice. The Dartford
crossing one, you do. It looks quite intimidating approaching it. ;-)

Try Millau

http://www.flickr.com/photos/djclark/854959381/

Looks nice.

I actually found one of the most disconcerting bridges to be Erskine -
going south (IIRC). Not quite the picture in my head but not a bad
illustration:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65166290@N00/6980051873/

You feel as if you are on top of the bridge and could easily drive off.

Surely the worst bridge must be the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, on a boat:

http://www.holiday-canal-boat.com/im...ysyllte_aquedu
ct.jpg

I remember doing that the early 60s, on foot, when there was (IIRC) no
handrail to speak of, and the footway was rather dilapidated. Seriously
scary.

--
Mike Barnes