Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sam Plusnet Sam Plusnet is offline

Default OT the headline writers simply gert worse every year

In article ,
says...

On Friday 08 March 2013 06:27 John Williamson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 08/03/2013 02:14, Sam Plusnet wrote:
In ,
says...

The toll on the Dartford crossing was removed a few years ago, after the
period agreed by the government of the day for recovery of the building
costs expired.

It was replaced the following morning by a maintenance charge.....

All legal, and it is now owned, I believe, by a French company, as is
the M6 toll near Birmingham.

Plus both Severn Bridges.

Incidently, the toll on these bridges make the Dartford crossing sound
like a bargain.

Indeed. When was doing a regular commute between London and Carmarthen,
I used to go via Oxford, Gloucester and Brecon along the A40 going home,
dodging the toll and using an extra fiver's worth of fuel, then back
along the motorway, using the free direction on the bridge.

http://www.severnbridge.co.uk/toll_prices.shtml

Feck! £6.20 for a car??..

If the original toll had been increased only in line with inflation, it
would now be...

£1.91

--
Sam