Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default House insurance and burglar alarms

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

More fool you. We ended up with a hell of a lot more who
came here voluntarily than the dregs you lot exported.

No guessing which line you're descended from.

There you go again, face down in the mud, as always.

Its easy to see that you are one of the dregs that didn’t
have enough initiate or even half a clue to leave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Nightjar wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Nightjar wrote

When ADT took over another company, there was a spate of thefts from
properties that had not had the enclosure updated. The thieves kept
abreast of all the latest developments and they knew that anybody with
the older enclosure was not on a contract and would not be remotely
monitored. They were not worried about a simple alarm, knowing that
they usually get ignored.

That's not a common situation tho, the company takeover allowing that.

That is simply an illustration of how well clued up professional thieves
are.

But that sort of situation doesn't happen that much, so that isnt
a lot of use to the pros because it only happens occasionally.

It will apply equally well to fitting fake alarms.

Not if it's a DIY.

A DIY alarm won't be remotely monitored by a professional company

So you monitor it yourself. Completely trivial to do that now, costs
peanuts.

and those are the only alarms that really act as a deterrent.

Bull****. Telling the crim via the monitoring system that you
can see what they are up to and that the cops are on the way
is a VASTLY better deterrent than any remote monitoring by
'a professional company', if only because its your own place
and you care a lot more about the result than any minimum
wage goon employed by any 'professional company'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Owain wrote
wrote

Its completely trivial to monitor the loss of the
50VDC that shows the phone line has been cut.

Doesn't a mildly intelligent criminal (if there are any)
simply short the two wires of the phone line, then
it's permanently 'on hook' rather than broken.

Then there wouldn't be 50 V across the pair, as there wouldn't be any
p.d.

As in every phone line in the country that's not in use.

But only a fool would have the alarm dialler on one of those lines.

And plenty of systems leave the line connected
and active when its not in use, essentially so
someone who wants a new phone service can
just pick up the handset and talk to a sales
droid to have the new phone service enabled.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Parry wrote
Nightjar wrote

A DIY alarm won't be remotely monitored by a professional
company and those are the only alarms that really act as a deterrent.

Class A alarms, usually found in commercial premises, are the only
ones properly monitored and which will produce a police response.

That's just plain wrong. If you monitor it yourself, and check the
video and see a burglar there and not just some cat etc, that will
certainly produce a police response when you ring them and tell
them that you can see the crim trying to get into your house.

Most domestic "monitored" alarms are Class B Auto
diallers such as used by ADT on their cheaper offerings.

This is DIY, no need to worry about that sort of inadequate
service which will cost a lot more than a DIY system.

Even assuming the incoming scrote forgets to disable it on entry

And with a DIY system, he wont be able to do that.

all it does is phone the receiving centre who simply phone
the contact they have. They don't alert the police.

All the more reason to monitor it yourself and call the cops
and tell them that you can see the crim trying to get in to
your place and have them show up and nab the crims.

As most alarm companies (including even ADT) offer both class
A and Class B installations it isn't possible to tell if a house has
a Class A alarm with police response from the outside.

And impossible with a DIY system done properly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Feb 17, 8:56 am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On Feb 16, 9:09 pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

In article ,
SteveW writes:
On 15/02/2013 18:53, ARW wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,

And I have decent neighbours who wouldn't just ignore it.

And that is the key to a good alarm.

I think that it is probably the other way around. A decent alarm,
that
doesn't regularly give false alarms, is likely to be checked by the
neighbours, whereas one that's always going off will be ignored.

Our next-door neighbours' alarm never normally goes off. On the one
occassion that it has recently, I checked for signs of entry.
Before
they moved in, I just ignored it, because the property was
unoccupied,
the alarm was faulty, yet the estate agent kept setting it!
Similarly,
always ignore the alarm on the opposite side of the road, but would
investigate any others going off.

If you have neighbours who come and check when the alarm goes off
(and pleased to say we all do here), you really want to make sure
you don't generate false alarms, as the goodwill very quickly
evaporates. After one false alarm, expect much slower response (if
any), and none after a second one. It will probably at least 2
years without false alarms to recover.

Didn't happen anything like that here. My next door
neighbour did go thru a period of quite a few false
alarms, and I was almost always the first to check that
it was false and not a real burglar. I never responded
any slower at all, and never ever ignored any alarm.

They did eventually get the installer to retweak the
system and that did fix the false alarms and we did
have at least two real burglars too, who didn't manage
to do any worse than damage the fly screen trying to
get in one time and leave an obvious outdoor chair
against the back fence getting over it another time.

Given that new alarm systems tend to generate false alarms
in the first few months, I generally suggest you wait for a few
months with no false alarms before you enable an external
sounder, and that includes having identified and fixed all
causes for false alarms.

That wont work with the returning burglars after
an alarm has been installed after the first burglary.

That way, you don't blow all the neighbourly
goodwill in the initial teething problems.

But may well see the house looted again before
you decide to connect the external sounder.

No thanks.
I expect that Oz is full of crims because of the ones we exported
there.

More fool you. We ended up with a hell of a lot more who
came here voluntarily than the dregs you lot exported.

Something in the genetics.

Fraid not.

Well you seem deranged.

You're clearly one of the dregs that didn't have the
initiative to leave that soggy little frigid island.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 17/02/2013 15:02, Peter Parry wrote:
On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 11:17:44 +0000, Nightjar
wrote:

A DIY alarm won't be remotely monitored by a professional company and
those are the only alarms that really act as a deterrent.

Class A alarms, usually found in commercial premises, are the only
ones properly monitored and which will produce a police response.

Most domestic "monitored" alarms are Class B Auto diallers such as
used by ADT on their cheaper offerings. Even assuming the incoming
scrote forgets to disable it on entry all it does is phone the
receiving centre who simply phone the contact they have. They don't
alert the police.

As most alarm companies (including even ADT) offer both class A and
Class B installations it isn't possible to tell if a house has a Class
A alarm with police response from the outside.

My point was that it is quite possible to tell if the alarm is NOT one
that could be monitored.

Like hell it is with a DIY alarm system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
In article ,
Nightjar wrote:

A DIY alarm won't be remotely monitored by a professional company and
those are the only alarms that really act as a deterrent.

How does a thief know if it's being professionally monitored?

It is more that they can quickly identify the ones that are not.

Not even possible with a DIY alarm system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill" wrote in message
In message , ARW
writes

Drunken teens arriving home at 3am and forgetting the code for the
alarm?

:-) It happens.

Not only drunken teenagers!

I arrived at work on Saturday to let a handyman in and opened the doors,
walked to the alarm panel and my mind went totally blank. I just said to
the guy, get out, it's about to get very noisy. Most embarrassing :-)

We saw the hilarious situation where a mate of mine had set up
an alarm system on a system at work, not about burglars, just for
system failure and flooding etc, which rang a series of numbers
with a voice synthesised message.

When it did flood, he called him fine. But he couldn't understand
what it was saying and it wasn't even obvious to him that it was
the alarm system calling, even when it kept calling repeatedly.

He ended up calling the cops and telling them that he was
getting malicious calls.

We never let him live that one down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" writes:
Bill wrote:
In message , ARW
writes

Drunken teens arriving home at 3am and forgetting the code for the
alarm?

:-) It happens.

Not only drunken teenagers!

I arrived at work on Saturday to let a handyman in and opened the
doors, walked to the alarm panel and my mind went totally blank. I
just said to the guy, get out, it's about to get very noisy. Most
embarrassing :-)

I once left too many internal doors open the same time when working in
one
house. That set the silent alarm off and the police arrived.

When I've worked for small companies where the last one out has
to set the alarm, I've seen the same thing happen 3 times...

2nd-last person in the office goes into the loo.
Last person gets up to leave, realises there's no one else there,
sets the alarm, and leaves.
Other person comes out the loo, and all hell breaks loose...
At one place, if that person wasn't a keyholder or had not
taken their keys with them to the loo, they were now stuck
locked in a hallway, and unable to get to the alarm to stop
it. Just had to wait for the police and then a keyholder to
come back.

Had a couple shortly after I'd fitted my alarm...

I was away in the US for a few weeks. Alarm goes off after a
couple of weeks with movement detected in the living room.
It turns out that a large pot plant (almost the height of the
ceiling) used up the last trace of water in the soil, and the
pot became too lightweight to keep the plant standing, so the
whole thing fell over.

Another one was movement detected on the landing when I wasn't
there. It happened a few times without me knowing what it was,
until I correlated it with something else - it was always 15
minutes after I remoted switched the heating on. Turned out
that the updraft from the downstairs hall radiator was causing
the pendant light on the landing to start moving in the draft.
Fixed it by swapping the pendant for a fixed chromed tube
light mounting.

These are the sort of thing to get sorted before you enable
the external sounder.

I wouldn't myself with an alarm installed just after a real
successful break-in, only with an alarm installed without
a recent prior successful break-in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod Speed
writes

We saw the hilarious situation where a mate of mine had set up
an alarm system on a system at work, not about burglars, just for
system failure and flooding etc, which rang a series of numbers
with a voice synthesised message.

When it did flood, he called him fine. But he couldn't understand
what it was saying and it wasn't even obvious to him that it was
the alarm system calling, even when it kept calling repeatedly.

He ended up calling the cops and telling them that he was
getting malicious calls.

We never let him live that one down.

MMMMMmmmmmmmm
I had a phone call on my mobile last year saying "Alarm at Graham's
unit" and it repeated this a couple of times. Said person Graham had
installed an alarm complete with auto dialler because he was going to be
away for a while and wanted additional people to be aware if there was a
break in. Myself and 2 others were on the list.

Just a pity that he hadn't told any of us!!!

--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 22:10:33 +0000, geoff wrote:

Thats one of the things i find so depressing when i go up to London these
days, when i was young people used to leave their front doors open in the
summer.

Because they hadn't got anything to nick

And you're unlikely to get very far with a bath tub on your shoulders

But at least you'd be making a clean getaway.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill" wrote in message
In message , Rod Speed
writes

[...]

Maybe he didn't want to risk you lot looting the place
while he was away but wanted something better than
no alarm at all if for some reason it didn't manage to
call him on his mobile |-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod Speed
writes

Maybe he didn't want to risk you lot looting the place
while he was away but wanted something better than
no alarm at all if for some reason it didn't manage to
call him on his mobile |-)

Quite feasible :-)
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Of course not. You probably just kill them off with that axe.

Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed psychotic psycho
fantasys.

If you think it ok to shoot a fleeing burglar in the back, surely killing
a sick dog is easy?

--
*Gargling is a good way to see if your throat leaks.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote:

Of course not. You probably just kill them off with that axe.

Just another of your pathetic little drug
crazed psychotic psycho fantasys.

If you think it ok to shoot a fleeing burglar in the back,

Never said it was. I JUST said that
the jury had decided to let him off.

surely killing a sick dog is easy?

Just another of your pathetic little drug
crazed psychotic psycho fantasys.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I don't know what you do in the outback, but in Britain, if it is not
one of a few professionally installed systems, it won't be centrally
monitored. The crooks know which those are and also know the Police are
not going to respond to a report of an alarm sounding unless they get a
call from a recognised central monitoring station or the caller can
actually see somebody in the property.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Makes a lot more sense to monitor it yourself now
that mobile phones make that so cheap and effortless.

Yes, there are undoubtedly a few who cant monitor their
own alarm, most obviously with those that are out of
mobile phone coverage at times or who have to turn
their phones off at times, but that's a tiny minority.

Even if you do fly a lot, you can get someone else you know
to monitor it for the time you are actually in a plane etc.

The crooks know which those are

Its just not possible for the crooks to know which DIY alarms
are being monitored by the owner of the DIY alarm. Another
good reason to not bother with centrally monitored alarms
unless you have no choice on that. And even with those, its
STILL better to add your own DIY monitoring to a 'professionally'
installed alarm system.

and also know the Police are not going to respond to a report of an alarm
sounding unless they get a call from a recognised central monitoring
station or the caller can actually see somebody in the property.

Another good reason to either have a DIY alarm which
you monitor yourself, or a 'professionally' installed
alarm system which is centrally monitored and which
you have added your own DIY monitoring to.

Not a shred of rocket science whatever required for either approach.

It isnt even that expensive and is MUCH cheaper than any
centrally monitored alarm both on initial and ongoing costs.

I wouldn't do it if I was running a bank, but would for my
house unless I was say a diamond dealer who kept all the
jewels at home etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message

On Feb 16, 9:09 pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

In article ,
SteveW writes:
On 15/02/2013 18:53, ARW wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,

[...]

Who would want to go to a place that is full of poisonous reptiles,
insects and people, that burns down regularly when there doesn't
happen to be a flood?

And boring boring BORING.

Oh, and the women are fat and ugly as ****.
The men, as you demonstrate, are thick as pig****.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 16/02/2013 13:44, Dave West wrote:

So in 2013 with the supposedly new attitude by the authorities to burglars,
what is the best course of action on hearing someone breaking in to your
house downstairs ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/comedy/20...-burglar.shtml

HTH

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 13:44:41 -0000, "Dave West"
wrote:

So in 2013 with the supposedly new attitude by the authorities to
burglars,
what is the best course of action on hearing someone breaking in to your
house downstairs ?

Me?
Grab the fire-axe by the door and go down swinging.
**** the law, **** the thieves, they're not having any of my kit.

ISTR a film a few years go.

Plot ran on the lines... house owner lets it be known house will be empty -
known scrote breaks in - and finds himself trapped behind electrically
operated bars - momeowner hasn't actually gone away, spends holiday watching
scrote plead and and starve to death behind the bars.

--

PR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message

On Feb 16, 9:09 pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

In article ,
SteveW writes:
On 15/02/2013 18:53, ARW wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,

[...]

Same ones that had enough of a clue to move
to north america and leave you dregs for dead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Feb, 14:42, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article
,
* *Jim K wrote:

Just because it has an alarm company name on it doesn't mean it's
being monitored either.

but it is a possibility...... "Wickes" is a guarantee it won;t
be.......

The only one they appear to sell at the moment has no markings on the box
at all. Certainly not 'Wicks' in bold writing. So if you really are
concerned, get going with your letraset...

I have not even looked, nor am I concerned, but I would hope by now
you understand the tenet.

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote:

Of course not. You probably just kill them off with that axe.

Just another of your pathetic little drug
crazed psychotic psycho fantasys.

If you think it ok to shoot a fleeing burglar in the back,

Never said it was.

Right. Perhaps you'd now state if you think it ok. You sure give the
impression you think it is.

I JUST said that
the jury had decided to let him off.

Another reason to avoid that country you think is paradise...

surely killing a sick dog is easy?

Just another of your pathetic little drug
crazed psychotic psycho fantasys.

If thinking *murdering* someone makes me a 'psycho' to you, I'm glad to be
thought as one.

--
*You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
harry wrote:
You're clearly one of the dregs that didn't have the
initiative to leave that soggy little frigid island.

Who would want to go to a place that is full of poisonous reptiles,
insects and people, that burns down regularly when there doesn't
happen to be a flood?

And don't forget Wodney. Who on his own is a good reason never to go there.

--
*Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Jim K wrote:

Just because it has an alarm company name on it doesn't mean it's
being monitored either.
but it is a possibility...... "Wickes" is a guarantee it won;t
be.......

The only one they appear to sell at the moment has no markings on the
box at all. Certainly not 'Wicks' in bold writing. So if you really
are concerned, get going with your letraset...

I have not even looked, nor am I concerned, but I would hope by now you
understand the tenet.

I know what you're on about, but judging any alarm by what it does or
doesn't say on the bell box seems to me a very flawed way of deciding
things. It would be better if companies removed such things when their
contract ended - but of course they don't.

--
*A person who smiles in the face of adversity probably has a scapegoat *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2013 07:30, harry wrote:
Who would want to go to a place that is full of poisonous reptiles,
insects and people, that burns down regularly when there doesn't
happen to be a flood?

And boring boring BORING.

Oh, and the women are fat and ugly as ****.
The men, as you demonstrate, are thick as pig****.

You've never been there.

Just as an example the biggest killer among all the wildlife in
Australia is... the honey bee.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"AndyW" wrote in message
On 16/02/2013 13:44, Dave West wrote:

So in 2013 with the supposedly new attitude by the authorities to
burglars,
what is the best course of action on hearing someone breaking in to your
house downstairs ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/comedy/20...-burglar.shtml

HTH

lol, love it!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

om...

wrote:

So in 2013 with the supposedly new attitude by the authorities to
burglars,
what is the best course of action on hearing someone breaking in to your
house downstairs ?

Me?
Grab the fire-axe by the door and go down swinging.
**** the law, **** the thieves, they're not having any of my kit.

ISTR a film a few years go.

Plot ran on the lines... house owner lets it be known house will be
empty - known scrote breaks in - and finds himself trapped behind
electrically operated bars - momeowner hasn't actually gone away, spends
holiday watching scrote plead and and starve to death behind the bars.

That sounds like fun
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Deffo not worth getting an alarm. Any insurance discount is minimal.

I have heard that burglars look how easy it is to get OUT of a place
rather than looking how easy it is to get in.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
DrTeeth wrote:
Deffo not worth getting an alarm. Any insurance discount is minimal.

I have heard that burglars look how easy it is to get OUT of a place
rather than looking how easy it is to get in.

Quite. So deadlocking any final exit is a good idea. Someone going into a
house via a window might just be the owner, having lost his keys, etc.
Coming out of one, likely not.

--
*What happens when none of your bees wax? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Feb, 10:57, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article
,

* *Jim K wrote:

Just because it has an alarm company name on it doesn't mean it's
being monitored either.
but it is a possibility...... "Wickes" is a guarantee it won;t
be.......

The only one they appear to sell at the moment has no markings on the
box at all. Certainly not 'Wicks' in bold writing. So if you really
are concerned, get going with your letraset...

I have not even looked, nor am I concerned, but I would hope by now you
understand the tenet.

I know what you're on about, but judging any alarm by what it does or
doesn't say on the bell box seems to me a very flawed way of deciding
things.

Put even simpler:- anything from e.g. a Screwfix catalogue on a house
wall, will de-facto not be being professionally monitored period.

It would be better if companies removed such things when their
contract ended - but of course they don't.

er...so the crims can spot un-alarmed properties more easily??

(this appears to be a mildly fascinating eddy around something I
regard as "bleeding obvious" but hey ho ;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2013 02:38, Rod Speed wrote:
Its just not possible for the crooks to know which DIY alarms
are being monitored by the owner of the DIY alarm....

They don't need to. They only need to know that the chances of the
Police responding to a DIY alarm are virtually nil. When I still had
factories to protect, I used to get regular updates to the criteria that
had to be met for the Police to attend a burglar alarm.

1) The call had to come from a registered alarm monitoring centre. That
effectively meant it had to be a professionally installed and maintained
alarm. In addition, my insurers required a 100 event log as part of the
system.

2) There must not have been more than two false alarms at the premises
in the past 24 months.

3) The presence of an intruder must be independently verified. At the
time, several years ago now, that condition could be met by using dual
technology sensors. However, when I last heard, there were serious
discussions going on about requiring the alarm monitoring centre to use
video surveillance to give the confirmation.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 18, 11:32*am, Andy Champ wrote:
On 18/02/2013 07:30, harry wrote:

Who would want to go to a place that is full of poisonous reptiles,
insects and people, that burns down regularly when there doesn't
happen to be a flood?

And boring boring BORING.

Oh, and the women are fat and ugly as ****.
The men, as you demonstrate, are thick as pig****.

You've never been there.

Just as an example the biggest killer among all the wildlife in
Australia is... the honey bee.

Andy

I have been there on several occasions.

Let's see four to six a year die of snakebite.

http://www.australiangeographic.com....-australia.htm

http://australianmuseum.net.au/Bees-Suborder-Apocrita
http://www.britzinoz.com/more-people...an-from-snakes

But when you read it, it is bees, wasps and hornets.
And not all the bees are honeybees.

So your lies are easily disproved.

Burglar Alarms davy12342 UK diy 0 March 9th 08 12:11 AM
Burglar Alarms Roger UK diy 0 January 22nd 07 01:30 PM
wireless burglar alarms-recommendations? tarquinlinbin UK diy 4 July 22nd 05 11:31 PM
OT. I give up and come back here Burglar alarms Old Nick Metalworking 24 January 1st 05 02:19 PM
Manuals for burglar alarms Security Panels UK diy 1 February 18th 04 12:35 PM