Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default House insurance and burglar alarms

On Feb 17, 10:36*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On Feb 17, 8:56 am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On Feb 16, 9:09 pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

In article ,
SteveW writes:
On 15/02/2013 18:53, ARW wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,

And I have decent neighbours who wouldn't just ignore it.

And that is the key to a good alarm.

I think that it is probably the other way around. A decent alarm,
that
doesn't regularly give false alarms, is likely to be checked by the
neighbours, whereas one that's always going off will be ignored.

Our next-door neighbours' alarm never normally goes off. On the one
occassion that it has recently, I checked for signs of entry.
Before
they moved in, I just ignored it, because the property was
unoccupied,
the alarm was faulty, yet the estate agent kept setting it!
Similarly,
always ignore the alarm on the opposite side of the road, but would
investigate any others going off.

If you have neighbours who come and check when the alarm goes off
(and pleased to say we all do here), you really want to make sure
you don't generate false alarms, as the goodwill very quickly
evaporates. After one false alarm, expect much slower response (if
any), and none after a second one. It will probably at least 2
years without false alarms to recover.

Didn't happen anything like that here. My next door
neighbour *did go thru a period of quite a few false
alarms, and I was almost always the first to check that
it was false and not a real burglar. I never responded
any slower at all, and never ever ignored any alarm.

They did eventually get the installer to retweak the
system and that did fix the false alarms and we did
have at least two real burglars too, who didn't manage
to do any worse than damage the fly screen trying to
get in one time and leave an obvious outdoor chair
against the back fence getting over it another time.

Given that new alarm systems tend to generate false alarms
in the first few months, I generally suggest you wait for a few
months with no false alarms before you enable an external
sounder, and that includes having identified and fixed all
causes for false alarms.

That wont work with the returning burglars after
an alarm has been installed after the first burglary.

That way, you don't blow all the neighbourly
goodwill in the initial teething problems.

But may well see the house looted again before
you decide to connect the external sounder.

No thanks.
I expect that Oz is full of crims because of the ones we exported
there.

More fool you. We ended up with a hell of a lot more who
came here voluntarily than the dregs you lot exported.

Something in the genetics.

Fraid not.

Well you seem deranged.

You're clearly one of the dregs that didn't have the
initiative to leave that soggy little frigid island.

Who would want to go to a place that is full of poisonous reptiles,
insects and people, that burns down regularly when there doesn't
happen to be a flood?

And boring boring BORING.

Oh, and the women are fat and ugly as ****.
The men, as you demonstrate, are thick as pig****.