Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric car.

On 6 Feb, 19:14, Graham. wrote:
On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 09:13:49 -0800 (PST), harry

wrote:
On Feb 6, 5:01*pm, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:53:53 -0800, harry wrote:
Well it was second hand. Ex-demo car.
It had done 156 miles.
I got it £6000 cheaper than new.

There is a £5000 gov subsidy. I mention this to annoy TurNiP

Ah, OK. So effectively you only paid £20k for a car that, in petrol form,
was £10k new before being discontinued four years ago.

So that's a difference in price that equals 90,000 miles worth of petrol.

At todays petrol prices. Also no road tax. For now anyway.

Insurance about *the same as a normal car.

And the person you hit doesn't hear you coming, so it's more humane.

and the meat tastes better....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 09:02:42 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Feb 6, 2:39*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
* *Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.
At least you've got something to keep you warm when you're waiting for
the AA.

Even when the battery's flat?

There are two batteries,the traction battery, 370Volts and a 12 volt
one to power the accessories.
When the traction batterie's flat your f***d.

370v? Best not test it with your tongue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

* *Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.
At least you've got something to keep you warm when you're waiting for
the AA.

Even when the battery's flat?

There are two batteries,the traction *battery, 370Volts and a 12 volt
one to power the accessories.
When the traction batterie's flat your f***d.

370v? Best not test it with your tongue.

you might be testing it with other sensitive parts of your anatomy
when driving through the increasingly prevalent flood waters....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 6, 5:47*pm, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el art culo
groups.com, harry escribi :

No lithium ion.

Oh, like the ones that have grounded 787 Dreamliners the world over?

--
*(\_/)
(='.'=)

The very same!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 14:39:45 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

At least you've got something to keep you warm when you're waiting for
the AA.

Even when the battery's flat?

Has it get pedals? As in pedalo not stop/go.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Feb 6, 4:58 pm, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:44:14 -0800, harry wrote:
I now have an electric car.
what make/model?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV

Riiight.

Last UK new price for a petrol-powered Mitsu i was less than £10k when it
was dropped in 2009. A new i-MiEV is north of £30k.

That difference is one hell of a lot of petrol. At the official 54mpg,
and £1.35/litre, it's about 180,000 miles worth of petrol. Assuming you
get the electricity free, of course.

You are quite right about the economics.
Toys for the boys syndrome. Excellent toy.
You can sneak up on people.
But i suspect petrol will double in four or five years,

How much is a new battery?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 18:02:03 +0000, polygonum wrote:

No lithium ion.

Oh, like the ones that have grounded 787 Dreamliners the world over?

Also, IIRC, made by Yuasa.

Thought they had come to the conclusion that the batteries wern't faulty
but there was something wrong with the charger.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

* *Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.
At least you've got something to keep you warm when you're waiting for
the AA.

Even when the battery's flat?

There are two batteries,the traction *battery, 370Volts and a 12 volt
one to power the accessories.
When the traction batterie's flat your f***d.

370v? Best not test it with your tongue.

you might be testing it with other sensitive parts of your anatomy
when driving through the increasingly prevalent flood waters....

Jim K

The traction battery is in a steel container.
Quite dangerous potentially. There's an automatic isolator if there's
a crash.

The auxilliary battery is just an ordinary lead acid.
It needs topping up with distilled water, long time since I had to do
that.
I thought I'd be finished with antifreeze and distilled water etc but
there's actually more stuff to watch than a petrol car.
No belts. No filters except on the AC.
There's oil to change in the reduction gearbox.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

The max range is 83 miles

Yesterday I went shopping to Sheffield and Retford and visited a friend
near Thorne, then called to collect some stuff from a mate's house at
Goldthorpe. I did the whole thing by the shortest route, and planned
everything so I could include six destinations in one trip, so as to
save fuel. I did 90 miles. Leccy car would have let me down.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 08:51:33 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

The max range is 83 miles,Depends on how hilly & how fast your drive.

That would only just do the weekly supermarket shopping run, 60 miles
round trip and 1400' to sea level and back up...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 09:11:50 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

Toys for the boys syndrome. Excellent toy.

At least you admit it. B-)

But i suspect petrol will double in four or five years,

Will the traction battery last that long and how much does it cost to
replace? How much will electricity als go up? I'm sure you'll have to use
the grid some of the time.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:53:53 -0800, harry wrote:

Well it was second hand. Ex-demo car.
It had done 156 miles.
I got it £6000 cheaper than new.

There is a £5000 gov subsidy. I mention this to annoy TurNiP

Ah, OK. So effectively you only paid £20k for a car that, in petrol form,
was £10k new before being discontinued four years ago.

So that's a difference in price that equals 90,000 miles worth of petrol.

I paid just over £16k.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
harry wrote:
On Feb 6, 4:58 pm, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:44:14 -0800, harry wrote:
I now have an electric car.
what make/model?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV
Riiight.

Last UK new price for a petrol-powered Mitsu i was less than £10k when
it
was dropped in 2009. A new i-MiEV is north of £30k.

That difference is one hell of a lot of petrol. At the official 54mpg,
and £1.35/litre, it's about 180,000 miles worth of petrol. Assuming you
get the electricity free, of course.

You are quite right about the economics.
Toys for the boys syndrome. Excellent toy.
You can sneak up on people.
But i suspect petrol will double in four or five years,

How much is a new battery?

Bill

There are two new diseases with electric cars.
Range anxiety.
And I hope my bttery won't deteriorate/fail anxiety.

The rumoured current price for a new battery is £15K
Supposed to fall in the future?

The battery is supposed to have 80% of it's capacity in 10 years if you
treat it right.
It has forced air cooling for when on charge.
There have been problems in very hot/very cold climates.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Feb 6, 12:30 pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 06/02/2013 10:37, harry wrote:

I now have an electric car.

what make/model?

A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV

You could have bought a car for that money.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 18:02:03 +0000, polygonum wrote:

No lithium ion.
Oh, like the ones that have grounded 787 Dreamliners the world over?

Also, IIRC, made by Yuasa.

Thought they had come to the conclusion that the batteries wern't faulty
but there was something wrong with the charger.

Once is an isolated problem, twice is worrying, three times is a design
fault.

That's what they used to say about ship engines, which are made in about
the same numbers as aircraft parts. How many 787s have had to land
because of this particular problem? A lot more than three...

If you want to worry some more about flying in one, it's the largest
non-metallic aircraft fuselage ever built, and life testing them is at
the stage that metal fatigue testing was at in the days of the Comet.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:53:53 -0800, harry wrote:

Well it was second hand. Ex-demo car.
It had done 156 miles.
I got it £6000 cheaper than new.

There is a £5000 gov subsidy. I mention this to annoy TurNiP

Ah, OK. So effectively you only paid £20k for a car that, in petrol form,
was £10k new before being discontinued four years ago.

So that's a difference in price that equals 90,000 miles worth of petrol.

I paid just over £16k.

That difference still buys an awful lot of petrol, even before you add
in the cost of a new set of batteries in five years or so, assuming
average use.

Another problem might be getting parts, as there are only 28,000 in
existence worldwide, as against hundreds of thousands per model for most
normal cars.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

The max range is 83 miles

Yesterday I went shopping to Sheffield and Retford and visited a friend
near Thorne, then called to collect some stuff from a mate's house at
Goldthorpe. I did the whole thing by the shortest route, and planned
everything so I could include six destinations in one trip, so as to save
fuel. I did 90 miles. Leccy car would have let me down.

Bill

Our longest trip is around thirty miles.
Ideal for city driving, uses no power at all stood in traffic.
Also great accelaration and easy to park, very narrow.
Very chuckable in traffic.
No gearshifts, just constant accelaration.
Difficult to keep track of the speed as it's so quiet.
Weird when stopped in traffic, you think the engine has cut out.

Optimum speed is around 40 mph. Drag varies as the square of speed.
So not ideal for motorway though goodfor 83 mph.
You might get 20 miles at that speed, maybe not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2013 20:56, harryagain wrote:

Ideal for city driving, uses no power at all stood in traffic.

You do indeed use up stored energy when stood in traffic - if you wish
to keep warm in the winter.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
On 6 Feb, 18:33, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 06/02/13 16:44, harry wrote: On Feb 6, 12:30 pm, John Rumm
wrote:
On 06/02/2013 10:37, harry wrote:

I now have an electric car.

what make/model?

A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV

They *did* see you coming then

Well. I hope they've had time to get the bugs out of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , harryagain
scribeth thus

harry wrote:

[...]

What's the heater like when its rather cold like now?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2013 20:51, John Williamson wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 18:02:03 +0000, polygonum wrote:

No lithium ion.
Oh, like the ones that have grounded 787 Dreamliners the world over?
Also, IIRC, made by Yuasa.

Thought they had come to the conclusion that the batteries wern't
faulty but there was something wrong with the charger.

Once is an isolated problem, twice is worrying, three times is a design
fault.

That's what they used to say about ship engines, which are made in about
the same numbers as aircraft parts. How many 787s have had to land
because of this particular problem? A lot more than three...

If you want to worry some more about flying in one, it's the largest
non-metallic aircraft fuselage ever built, and life testing them is at
the stage that metal fatigue testing was at in the days of the Comet.

Reassuring, I'd say. Ain't going to suffer metal fatigue if it is all
plastic/carbon fibre. :-)

Who will be writing The Return of No Highway?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Feb, 21:01, polygonum wrote:
On 06/02/2013 20:56, harryagain wrote:
Ideal for city driving, uses no power at all stood in traffic.

You do indeed use up stored energy when stood in traffic - if you wish
to keep warm in the winter.

--
Rod

or listen to Green FM...

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

The max range is 83 miles

Yesterday I went shopping to Sheffield and Retford and visited a friend
near Thorne, then called to collect some stuff from a mate's house at
Goldthorpe. I did the whole thing by the shortest route, and planned
everything so I could include six destinations in one trip, so as to
save fuel. I did 90 miles. Leccy car would have let me down.

Bill

Our longest trip is around thirty miles. Ideal for city driving, uses no
power at all stood in traffic.
Also great accelaration and easy to park,
very narrow.
Very chuckable in traffic.
No gearshifts, just constant accelaration.
Difficult to keep track of the speed as it's so quiet.
Weird when stopped in traffic, you think the engine has cut out.

it should have

Optimum speed is around 40 mph. Drag varies as the square of speed.

and best measured in acres per year

So not ideal for motorway though good for 83 mph. You might get 20 miles
at that speed, maybe not.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

The max range is 83 miles

Yesterday I went shopping to Sheffield and Retford and visited a friend
near Thorne, then called to collect some stuff from a mate's house at
Goldthorpe. I did the whole thing by the shortest route, and planned
everything so I could include six destinations in one trip, so as to save
fuel. I did 90 miles. Leccy car would have let me down.

Bill

Our longest trip is around thirty miles.

how much would taxis be for all this ****ing about over 5 years?

Ideal for city driving, uses no power at all stood in traffic.

but do *you* get stuck in standing city traffic Harry?

Also great accelaration and easy to park, *very narrow.

er...small?

Very chuckable in traffic.

er... small?

No gearshifts, just constant accelaration.

does it hum like a milkfloat?

Difficult to keep track of the speed as it's so quiet.

speedo? you wouldn't break the law would you ?

Weird when stopped in traffic, you think the engine has cut out.
Optimum speed is around 40 mph. Drag varies as the square of speed.
So not ideal for motorway though goodfor 83 *mph.
You might get 20 miles at that speed, maybe not.

that would be an understatement then?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 6, 10:37*am, harry wrote:
I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

Nice toy, wish I had the spare cash to buy one.

Now all you need do is fit a tow bar and buy one of these
http://www.hss.com/g/41520/20kVA-Sil...Generator.html to
make it useful

Philip

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Feb, 21:25, " wrote:
On Feb 6, 10:37*am, harry wrote:

I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

Nice toy, wish I had the spare cash to buy one.

Now all you need do is fit a tow bar and buy one of thesehttp://www.hss.com/g/41520/20kVA-Silenced-Diesel-Generator.htmlto
make it useful

Philip

or get to know someone with one of these ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200888198789

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
On 06/02/2013 20:51, John Williamson wrote:

Dreamliner 787
If you want to worry some more about flying in one, it's the largest
non-metallic aircraft fuselage ever built, and life testing them is at
the stage that metal fatigue testing was at in the days of the Comet.

Reassuring, I'd say. Ain't going to suffer metal fatigue if it is all
plastic/carbon fibre. :-)

True, but what other unknown failure modes are there going to be? They
already use special equipment to check for delamination on composite
structures which is invisible to the eye.

Who will be writing The Return of No Highway?

I wonder....

I also wonder which plane it will be about.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/02/2013 5:58 a.m., Brian Gaff wrote:
Or a wind turbine?
Brian

A wind turbine on the roof can generate enough power to drive the car -
in fact the faster you go, the more power, therefore the faster ...
positive feedback.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/02/2013 6:07 a.m., harry wrote:
On Feb 6, 3:38 pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
On 06/02/13 14:32, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"harry" wrote in message

I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

At least you've got something to keep you warm when you're waiting for
the AA.

Harry: are you sure its an electric car, and the salesman didn't simply
see you coming and sell you a hybrid?

I have done my research. Just hope it doesn't break down. You'd never
believe how complex it all is.
The main bit is straightforward but there are lots of ancillories.
There are around twenty separate eleccric motors dotted around for one
thing or another. Numerous interlocks. About twenty warning lights on
the dashboard.
Very easy to drive though. Very nice to drive.

Every car I've been in over the past 10 years has been easy to drive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message

I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

At least you've got something to keep you warm when you're waiting for
the AA.

Harry: are you sure its an electric car, and the salesman didn't simply
see you coming and sell you a hybrid?

I have done my research. Just hope it doesn't break
down. You'd never believe how complex it all is.

That will certainly cost you WHEN it inevitably does break.

You've already spent twice what a petrol car of the same
size would have cost you and will now have to pay MUCH
more every time it breaks. You wont even be able to buy
cheap bits out of other copys some fool has written off either.

The main bit is straightforward but there are lots of ancillories.
There are around twenty separate eleccric motors
dotted around for one thing or another.

Mad. Makes sense for windows, wipers and washers but not for much else.

Numerous interlocks. About twenty warning lights on the dashboard.

Very easy to drive though. Very nice to drive.

Dunno, I'd rather not have to keep my eye on the charge
all the time so that I don't end up ****ed miles from home.

Hope there's room for a ****ing great extension cord so you
can grovel for a charge from someone when it grinds to a halt.

And a tent to use for the 4 hours it will take to charge too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
En el artículo
groups.com, harry escribió:

No lithium ion.

Oh, like the ones that have grounded 787 Dreamliners the world over?

Nope, much closer to what hasn't grounded many Priarses anywhere much at
all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

The max range is 83 miles

Yesterday I went shopping to Sheffield and Retford and visited a friend
near Thorne, then called to collect some stuff from a mate's house at
Goldthorpe. I did the whole thing by the shortest route, and planned
everything so I could include six destinations in one trip, so as to save
fuel. I did 90 miles. Leccy car would have let me down.

Yeah, I quite often exceed that in the garage/yard sale run.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 09:11:50 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

Toys for the boys syndrome. Excellent toy.

At least you admit it. B-)

But i suspect petrol will double in four or five years,

Will the traction battery last that long

Its already been used for a year or so too.

and how much does it cost to replace?

Enough to give him a heart attack hopefully.

How much will electricity als go up?

Nothing like by that much, I bet.

I'm sure you'll have to use the grid some of the time.

Sure, but he does have that subsidised by
the stupid price that is paid for from his PVs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Feb 6, 4:58 pm, Adrian wrote:
[...]

Fark, you paid that for the whole car.

Supposed to fall in the future?

Bet it doesn’t.

The battery is supposed to have 80% of it's capacity in 10 years if you
treat it right.

We'll see...

Very few used in power tools do when used as
often as you use a car.

It has forced air cooling for when on charge.
There have been problems in very hot/very cold climates.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , John Williamson
escribió:

If you want to worry some more about flying in one, it's the largest
non-metallic aircraft fuselage ever built, and life testing them is at
the stage that metal fatigue testing was at in the days of the Comet.

Windshield is reported to have cracked on one. I wondered at the time
if it was because of excessive flexing of the structure.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo
oups.com, harry escribió:

The very same!

You could carry a fire extinguisher with you, except they don't work on
lithium ion battery fires :-)

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 6, 9:02*pm, tony sayer wrote:
In article , harryagain
scribeth thus

harry wrote:

[...]

Heater works fine. But best to pre-heat it whilst it's plugged in on
charge..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 6, 9:25*pm, " wrote:
On Feb 6, 10:37*am, harry wrote:

I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

Nice toy, wish I had the spare cash to buy one.

Now all you need do is fit a tow bar and buy one of thesehttp://www.hss.com/g/41520/20kVA-Silenced-Diesel-Generator.htmlto
make it useful

Philip

Towing is not recommended. Or charging from a portable generator.