Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric car.

I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, February 6, 2013 10:37:18 AM UTC, harry wrote:
I now have an electric car.

A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.

Eg, it has a radiator.

Has it got solar panels on the roof ?
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 6, 12:10*pm, sm_jamieson wrote:
On Wednesday, February 6, 2013 10:37:18 AM UTC, harry wrote:
I now have an electric car.

A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.

Eg, it has a radiator.

Has it got solar panels on the roof ?
Simon.

The solar panels are on my house roof.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/02/2013 5:58 a.m., Brian Gaff wrote:
Or a wind turbine?
Brian

A wind turbine on the roof can generate enough power to drive the car -
in fact the faster you go, the more power, therefore the faster ...
positive feedback.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2013 10:37, harry wrote:

I now have an electric car.

what make/model?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 6, 12:30*pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 06/02/2013 10:37, harry wrote:

I now have an electric car.

what make/model?

A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:44:14 -0800, harry wrote:

I now have an electric car.

what make/model?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV

Riiight.

Last UK new price for a petrol-powered Mitsu i was less than £10k when it
was dropped in 2009. A new i-MiEV is north of £30k.

That difference is one hell of a lot of petrol. At the official 54mpg,
and £1.35/litre, it's about 180,000 miles worth of petrol. Assuming you
get the electricity free, of course.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 6, 4:58*pm, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:44:14 -0800, harry wrote:
I now have an electric car.
what make/model?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV

Riiight.

Last UK new price for a petrol-powered Mitsu i was less than £10k when it
was dropped in 2009. A new i-MiEV is north of £30k.

That difference is one hell of a lot of petrol. At the official 54mpg,
and £1.35/litre, it's about 180,000 miles worth of petrol. Assuming you
get the electricity free, of course.

You are quite right about the economics.
Toys for the boys syndrome. Excellent toy.
You can sneak up on people.
But i suspect petrol will double in four or five years,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Feb 6, 4:58 pm, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:44:14 -0800, harry wrote:
I now have an electric car.
what make/model?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV

Riiight.

Last UK new price for a petrol-powered Mitsu i was less than £10k when it
was dropped in 2009. A new i-MiEV is north of £30k.

That difference is one hell of a lot of petrol. At the official 54mpg,
and £1.35/litre, it's about 180,000 miles worth of petrol. Assuming you
get the electricity free, of course.

You are quite right about the economics.
Toys for the boys syndrome. Excellent toy.
You can sneak up on people.
But i suspect petrol will double in four or five years,

How much is a new battery?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 09:11:50 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

Toys for the boys syndrome. Excellent toy.

At least you admit it. B-)

But i suspect petrol will double in four or five years,

Will the traction battery last that long and how much does it cost to
replace? How much will electricity als go up? I'm sure you'll have to use
the grid some of the time.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian
writes
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:44:14 -0800, harry wrote:

I now have an electric car.

what make/model?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV

Riiight.

Last UK new price for a petrol-powered Mitsu i was less than £10k when it
was dropped in 2009. A new i-MiEV is north of £30k.

That difference is one hell of a lot of petrol. At the official 54mpg,
and £1.35/litre, it's about 180,000 miles worth of petrol. Assuming you
get the electricity free, of course.

I read somewhere that 2nd hand prices are rock bottom.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/13 14:52, bert wrote:
In message , Adrian
writes
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:44:14 -0800, harry wrote:

I now have an electric car.

what make/model?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV

Riiight.

Last UK new price for a petrol-powered Mitsu i was less than £10k when it
was dropped in 2009. A new i-MiEV is north of £30k.

That difference is one hell of a lot of petrol. At the official 54mpg,
and £1.35/litre, it's about 180,000 miles worth of petrol. Assuming you
get the electricity free, of course.

I read somewhere that 2nd hand prices are rock bottom.

Like laptops, and power tools, once the battery is dead the rest is
pretty useless and expensive to repair..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, February 6, 2013 4:58:21 PM UTC, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:44:14 -0800, harry wrote:
I now have an electric car.
what make/model?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV

Riiight.

Last UK new price for a petrol-powered Mitsu i was less than £10k when it
was dropped in 2009. A new i-MiEV is north of £30k.

That difference is one hell of a lot of petrol. At the official 54mpg,
and £1.35/litre, it's about 180,000 miles worth of petrol. Assuming you
get the electricity free, of course.

From which we conclude that harry isn't doing this to save himself money
based on today's prices.

So either he thinks electricity prices are going to rise massively
(possible alhough personally I don't think so), or he values saving thl
planet above his own pocket (in which case I salute him).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Bonner scribeth thus
On Wednesday, February 6, 2013 4:58:21 PM UTC, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:44:14 -0800, harry wrote:
I now have an electric car.
what make/model?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV

Riiight.

Last UK new price for a petrol-powered Mitsu i was less than £10k when it
was dropped in 2009. A new i-MiEV is north of £30k.

That difference is one hell of a lot of petrol. At the official 54mpg,
and £1.35/litre, it's about 180,000 miles worth of petrol. Assuming you
get the electricity free, of course.

From which we conclude that harry isn't doing this to save himself money
based on today's prices.

So either he thinks electricity prices are going to rise massively
(possible alhough personally I don't think so), or he values saving thl
planet above his own pocket (in which case I salute him).

All that will happen if electric powered cars take off big time is that
the government will tax leccy use for cars owing the fall in revenues
from fossil fuels caused by that.

I believe its happened somewhere in the USofA already;(...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 9, 8:00*pm, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Wednesday, February 6, 2013 4:58:21 PM UTC, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:44:14 -0800, harry wrote:
I now have an electric car.
what make/model?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV

Riiight.

Last UK new price for a petrol-powered Mitsu i was less than £10k when it
was dropped in 2009. A new i-MiEV is north of £30k.

That difference is one hell of a lot of petrol. At the official 54mpg,
and £1.35/litre, it's about 180,000 miles worth of petrol. Assuming you
get the electricity free, of course.

From which we conclude that harry isn't doing this to save himself money
based on today's prices.

So either he thinks electricity prices are going to rise massively
(possible alhough personally I don't think so), or he values saving thl
planet above his own pocket (in which case I salute him).

Both.

Electricity prices will go up to pay for the Nuclear power stations
construction. Also they will be foreign owned,we will end up paying
foreign investors. Nuclear power will cost more than renewable energy.

The gov will make sure it gets upfront money allegedly for
decommissioning. However, they will not use it for this, a future
labour gov will fritter it away on benefits for the idle.
So it will cost even more in the end.

The green eco-warrior credentials for electric cars are somewhat
questionable due to new mining for the exotic materials that go into
them. Lithium. rare earths etc.
Though they should be recoverable/recyclable.

I am thinking of a bumper sticker for my car.
A Jap rising sun flag with the missive "solar powered car".
Or maybe "nuclear powered".
Both would be true.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2013 20:00, Martin Bonner wrote:

or he values saving thl
planet above his own pocket (in which case I salute him).

Only if you believe moving the pollution elsewhere is saving the planet.

The Chinese will just be burning tons more coal to met demand for solar
panels and batteries.

As for using his own money, who is supplying the £5k subsidy on the car
and the inflated purchase price for solar panel power? You are, in
higher taxes and your electricity bill being 10% higher than it needs to be!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 12:00:27 -0800, Martin Bonner wrote:

So either he thinks electricity prices are going to rise massively
(possible alhough personally I don't think so)

ITYM "petrol prices rise".

or he values saving the planet above his own pocket (in which case I
salute him).

Hmm. I'm not sure the "saving the planet" line is quite so clear cut.
(For those across other groups, where has Bollen gone with his "Greenwash"
line, anyway? Did he finally kick the bucket?)

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, right?

So - the most environmentally friendly option is not buying a new or very-
near-new car in the first place. That's gotta be pretty uncontentious.
Especially for a low-mileage vehicle (and the very limited range of
Harry's Mitsu means it can't really be anything but).

Then, of course, we get into the whole environmental impact of
transporting a ton and a half/10m3 object half way across the planet. And
that's before we think about the environmental impact of all those
electronics and battery chemistry - either just to manufacture in the
first place or the whole life-of-vehicle and end of use decommissioning
and disposal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/13 16:44, harry wrote:
On Feb 6, 12:30 pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 06/02/2013 10:37, harry wrote:

I now have an electric car.

what make/model?

A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV

They *did* see you coming then

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Feb, 18:33, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 06/02/13 16:44, harry wrote: On Feb 6, 12:30 pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 06/02/2013 10:37, harry wrote:

I now have an electric car.

what make/model?

A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV

They *did* see you coming then

launched snip on April 1, 2010, for the wider public

mmmm

Jim K.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 06/02/2013 10:37, harry wrote:

I now have an electric car.

what make/model?

A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV

They *did* see you coming then

Well. I hope they've had time to get the bugs out of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Feb 6, 12:30 pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 06/02/2013 10:37, harry wrote:

I now have an electric car.

what make/model?

A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV

You could have bought a car for that money.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2013 10:37, harry wrote:
I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

So, from flat battery state, how long to recharge to full using your
solar generation alone? It would be interesting to know the answer by,
say, season. Approximations and averages accepted.

What range would that give you?

How do you heat it in winter?

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 6, 1:15*pm, polygonum wrote:
On 06/02/2013 10:37, harry wrote: I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

So, from flat battery state, how long to recharge to full using your
solar generation alone? It would be interesting to know the answer by,
say, season. Approximations and averages accepted.

What range would that give you?

How do you heat it in winter?

--
Rod

From completely discharged it takes around eight hours from a domestic
socket.
Or 20minutes from a fast chargesocket to 80% full.

The charge rate is 2Kw. (for all but the last half hour.
I drove about 20 miles yesterday, it took about 2 hours to recharge.
It was sunny today, soI charged it completely from solar power.
The panels were doing almost fulloutput because it was sunny cold and
windy.
Won't be possible all the time but I don't have to recharge straight
away, I can sometimes wait 'til the sun shines.
The max range is 83 miles,Depends on how hilly & how fast your drive.
Also how you adjust the regeneration.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

The max range is 83 miles

Yesterday I went shopping to Sheffield and Retford and visited a friend
near Thorne, then called to collect some stuff from a mate's house at
Goldthorpe. I did the whole thing by the shortest route, and planned
everything so I could include six destinations in one trip, so as to
save fuel. I did 90 miles. Leccy car would have let me down.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
harry wrote:

The max range is 83 miles

Yesterday I went shopping to Sheffield and Retford and visited a friend
near Thorne, then called to collect some stuff from a mate's house at
Goldthorpe. I did the whole thing by the shortest route, and planned
everything so I could include six destinations in one trip, so as to save
fuel. I did 90 miles. Leccy car would have let me down.

Bill

Our longest trip is around thirty miles.
Ideal for city driving, uses no power at all stood in traffic.
Also great accelaration and easy to park, very narrow.
Very chuckable in traffic.
No gearshifts, just constant accelaration.
Difficult to keep track of the speed as it's so quiet.
Weird when stopped in traffic, you think the engine has cut out.

Optimum speed is around 40 mph. Drag varies as the square of speed.
So not ideal for motorway though goodfor 83 mph.
You might get 20 miles at that speed, maybe not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2013 20:56, harryagain wrote:

Ideal for city driving, uses no power at all stood in traffic.

You do indeed use up stored energy when stood in traffic - if you wish
to keep warm in the winter.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

The max range is 83 miles

Yesterday I went shopping to Sheffield and Retford and visited a friend
near Thorne, then called to collect some stuff from a mate's house at
Goldthorpe. I did the whole thing by the shortest route, and planned
everything so I could include six destinations in one trip, so as to
save fuel. I did 90 miles. Leccy car would have let me down.

Bill

Our longest trip is around thirty miles. Ideal for city driving, uses no
power at all stood in traffic.
Also great accelaration and easy to park,
very narrow.
Very chuckable in traffic.
No gearshifts, just constant accelaration.
Difficult to keep track of the speed as it's so quiet.
Weird when stopped in traffic, you think the engine has cut out.

it should have

Optimum speed is around 40 mph. Drag varies as the square of speed.

and best measured in acres per year

So not ideal for motorway though good for 83 mph. You might get 20 miles
at that speed, maybe not.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

The max range is 83 miles

Yesterday I went shopping to Sheffield and Retford and visited a friend
near Thorne, then called to collect some stuff from a mate's house at
Goldthorpe. I did the whole thing by the shortest route, and planned
everything so I could include six destinations in one trip, so as to save
fuel. I did 90 miles. Leccy car would have let me down.

Bill

Our longest trip is around thirty miles.

how much would taxis be for all this ****ing about over 5 years?

Ideal for city driving, uses no power at all stood in traffic.

but do *you* get stuck in standing city traffic Harry?

Also great accelaration and easy to park, *very narrow.

er...small?

Very chuckable in traffic.

er... small?

No gearshifts, just constant accelaration.

does it hum like a milkfloat?

Difficult to keep track of the speed as it's so quiet.

speedo? you wouldn't break the law would you ?

Weird when stopped in traffic, you think the engine has cut out.
Optimum speed is around 40 mph. Drag varies as the square of speed.
So not ideal for motorway though goodfor 83 *mph.
You might get 20 miles at that speed, maybe not.

that would be an understatement then?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , harryagain
scribeth thus

harry wrote:

[...]

What's the heater like when its rather cold like now?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

The max range is 83 miles

Yesterday I went shopping to Sheffield and Retford and visited a friend
near Thorne, then called to collect some stuff from a mate's house at
Goldthorpe. I did the whole thing by the shortest route, and planned
everything so I could include six destinations in one trip, so as to save
fuel. I did 90 miles. Leccy car would have let me down.

Yeah, I quite often exceed that in the garage/yard sale run.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 08:51:33 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

The max range is 83 miles,Depends on how hilly & how fast your drive.

That would only just do the weekly supermarket shopping run, 60 miles
round trip and 1400' to sea level and back up...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
..com, harry writes

I now have an electric car.

A second hand Sinclair C5?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Feb, 13:43, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article
.com, harry writes

I now have an electric car.

A second hand Sinclair C5?

'second' ?!?!

possibly ex "Time Team Big Disappointing Dig" ? ;)

presumably now "running" aldidl NiMh batteries for extra eco bollox
points?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 6, 2:05*pm, Jim K wrote:
On 6 Feb, 13:43, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

In article
.com, harry writes

I now have an electric car.

A second hand Sinclair C5?

'second' ?!?!

possibly ex "Time Team Big Disappointing Dig" ? ;)

presumably now "running" aldidl NiMh batteries for extra eco bollox

No lithium ion. Near half a ton of battery weight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:54:47 -0800, harry wrote:

Near half a ton of battery weight.

In a car that, in petrol form, weighs 900kg ready-to-go.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 6, 5:01*pm, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:54:47 -0800, harry wrote:
Near half a ton of battery weight.

In a car that, in petrol form, weighs 900kg ready-to-go.

Weighs more in electric form. But much better performance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo
groups.com, harry escribió:

No lithium ion.

Oh, like the ones that have grounded 787 Dreamliners the world over?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)