DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Electric car. (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/352744-electric-car.html)

harry February 6th 13 10:37 AM

Electric car.

I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

sm_jamieson February 6th 13 12:10 PM

Electric car.

On Wednesday, February 6, 2013 10:37:18 AM UTC, harry wrote:
I now have an electric car.

A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.

Eg, it has a radiator.

Has it got solar panels on the roof ?
Simon.

John Rumm February 6th 13 12:30 PM

Electric car.

On 06/02/2013 10:37, harry wrote:

I now have an electric car.

what make/model?

--
Cheers,

John.

polygonum February 6th 13 01:15 PM

Electric car.

On 06/02/2013 10:37, harry wrote:
I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

So, from flat battery state, how long to recharge to full using your
solar generation alone? It would be interesting to know the answer by,
say, season. Approximations and averages accepted.

What range would that give you?

How do you heat it in winter?

--
Rod

Mike Tomlinson February 6th 13 01:43 PM

Electric car.

In article
..com, harry writes

I now have an electric car.

A second hand Sinclair C5?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Jim K[_3_] February 6th 13 02:05 PM

Electric car.

On 6 Feb, 13:43, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article
.com, harry writes

I now have an electric car.

A second hand Sinclair C5?

'second' ?!?!

possibly ex "Time Team Big Disappointing Dig" ? ;)

presumably now "running" aldidl NiMh batteries for extra eco bollox
points?

Jim K

Mentalguy2k8 February 6th 13 02:32 PM

Electric car.

"harry" wrote in message

I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

At least you've got something to keep you warm when you're waiting for the
AA.

Jim K[_3_] February 6th 13 02:36 PM

Electric car.

On 6 Feb, 14:32, "Mentalguy2k8" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

At least you've got something to keep you warm when you're waiting for the
AA.

nah just pedal faster Mrs H, "fx whipcrack"

Jim K

Dave Plowman (News) February 6th 13 02:39 PM

Electric car.

In article ,
Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"harry" wrote in message

I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

At least you've got something to keep you warm when you're waiting for
the AA.

Even when the battery's flat?

--
*Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Mentalguy2k8 February 6th 13 02:44 PM

Electric car.

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"harry" wrote in message

I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

At least you've got something to keep you warm when you're waiting for
the AA.

Even when the battery's flat?

Ah, a design flaw.

polygonum February 6th 13 02:54 PM

Electric car.

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"harry" wrote in message

I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

At least you've got something to keep you warm when you're waiting for
the AA.

Even when the battery's flat?

Ah, a design flaw.

Maybe not. At least some electric vehicles require diesel or other
"fossil" fuel to run their heaters. So they might work with flat battery.

--
Rod

[email protected] February 6th 13 03:11 PM

Electric car.

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 02:37:18 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

Oil filled?

G.Harman

Bob Eager[_2_] February 6th 13 03:23 PM

Electric car.

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 02:37:18 -0800, harry wrote:

I now have an electric car.

Why am I not surprised.

Bob Eager[_2_] February 6th 13 03:25 PM

Electric car.

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 13:43:49 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

In article
.com, harry writes

I now have an electric car.

A second hand Sinclair C5?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004P9SKKE

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] February 6th 13 03:38 PM

Electric car.

On 06/02/13 14:32, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"harry" wrote in message

I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

At least you've got something to keep you warm when you're waiting for
the AA.

Harry: are you sure its an electric car, and the salesman didn't simply
see you coming and sell you a hybrid?

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

harry February 6th 13 04:40 PM

Electric car.

On Feb 6, 12:10*pm, sm_jamieson wrote:
On Wednesday, February 6, 2013 10:37:18 AM UTC, harry wrote:
I now have an electric car.

A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.

Eg, it has a radiator.

Has it got solar panels on the roof ?
Simon.

The solar panels are on my house roof.

harry February 6th 13 04:44 PM

Electric car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV

harry February 6th 13 04:51 PM

Electric car.

On Feb 6, 1:15*pm, polygonum wrote:
On 06/02/2013 10:37, harry wrote: I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

So, from flat battery state, how long to recharge to full using your
solar generation alone? It would be interesting to know the answer by,
say, season. Approximations and averages accepted.

What range would that give you?

How do you heat it in winter?

--
Rod

From completely discharged it takes around eight hours from a domestic
socket.
Or 20minutes from a fast chargesocket to 80% full.

The charge rate is 2Kw. (for all but the last half hour.
I drove about 20 miles yesterday, it took about 2 hours to recharge.
It was sunny today, soI charged it completely from solar power.
The panels were doing almost fulloutput because it was sunny cold and
windy.
Won't be possible all the time but I don't have to recharge straight
away, I can sometimes wait 'til the sun shines.
The max range is 83 miles,Depends on how hilly & how fast your drive.
Also how you adjust the regeneration.

harry February 6th 13 04:53 PM

Electric car.

On Feb 6, 1:43*pm, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article
.com, harry writes

I now have an electric car.

A second hand Sinclair C5?

Well it was second hand. Ex-demo car.
It had done 156 miles.
I got it £6000 cheaper than new.

There is a £5000 gov subsidy. I mention this to annoy TurNiP

harry February 6th 13 04:54 PM

Electric car.

On Feb 6, 2:05*pm, Jim K wrote:
On 6 Feb, 13:43, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

In article
.com, harry writes

I now have an electric car.

A second hand Sinclair C5?

'second' ?!?!

possibly ex "Time Team Big Disappointing Dig" ? ;)

presumably now "running" aldidl NiMh batteries for extra eco bollox

No lithium ion. Near half a ton of battery weight.

Brian Gaff February 6th 13 04:57 PM

Electric car.

What for?

Brian

Email:

Adrian February 6th 13 04:58 PM

Electric car.

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:44:14 -0800, harry wrote:

I now have an electric car.

what make/model?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV

Riiight.

Last UK new price for a petrol-powered Mitsu i was less than £10k when it
was dropped in 2009. A new i-MiEV is north of £30k.

That difference is one hell of a lot of petrol. At the official 54mpg,
and £1.35/litre, it's about 180,000 miles worth of petrol. Assuming you
get the electricity free, of course.

harry February 6th 13 05:00 PM

Electric car.

On Feb 6, 2:32*pm, "Mentalguy2k8" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

At least you've got something to keep you warm when you're waiting for the
AA.

The radiator is to cool the electric traction motor/generator.
It is liquid cooled.

The heating is a separate wet system, heated by resistance elements
from the traction battery. Just lifted from a normal car I think
So I still need antifreeze. Two places to put it in.

I did think the heating would be by reversing the AC system, but no.

You can preheat the car before you set off while it's still on charge.
There is a remote control to do this.
It is all insulated up.

Adrian February 6th 13 05:01 PM

Electric car.

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:53:53 -0800, harry wrote:

Well it was second hand. Ex-demo car.
It had done 156 miles.
I got it £6000 cheaper than new.

There is a £5000 gov subsidy. I mention this to annoy TurNiP

Ah, OK. So effectively you only paid £20k for a car that, in petrol form,
was £10k new before being discontinued four years ago.

So that's a difference in price that equals 90,000 miles worth of petrol.

Adrian February 6th 13 05:01 PM

Electric car.

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:54:47 -0800, harry wrote:

Near half a ton of battery weight.

In a car that, in petrol form, weighs 900kg ready-to-go.

harry February 6th 13 05:02 PM

Electric car.

On Feb 6, 2:39*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
* *Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

At least you've got something to keep you warm when you're waiting for
the AA.

Even when the battery's flat?

There are two batteries,the traction battery, 370Volts and a 12 volt
one to power the accessories.
When the traction batterie's flat your f***d.

harry February 6th 13 05:07 PM

Electric car.

"harry" wrote in message

I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

At least you've got something to keep you warm when you're waiting for
the AA.

Harry: are you sure its an electric car, and the salesman didn't simply
see you coming and sell you a hybrid?

I have done my research. Just hope it doesn't break down. You'd never
believe how complex it all is.
The main bit is straightforward but there are lots of ancillories.
There are around twenty separate eleccric motors dotted around for one
thing or another. Numerous interlocks. About twenty warning lights on
the dashboard.
Very easy to drive though. Very nice to drive.

harry February 6th 13 05:11 PM

Electric car.

On Feb 6, 4:58*pm, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:44:14 -0800, harry wrote:
I now have an electric car.
what make/model?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV

Riiight.

Last UK new price for a petrol-powered Mitsu i was less than £10k when it
was dropped in 2009. A new i-MiEV is north of £30k.

That difference is one hell of a lot of petrol. At the official 54mpg,
and £1.35/litre, it's about 180,000 miles worth of petrol. Assuming you
get the electricity free, of course.

You are quite right about the economics.
Toys for the boys syndrome. Excellent toy.
You can sneak up on people.
But i suspect petrol will double in four or five years,

harry February 6th 13 05:13 PM

Electric car.

On Feb 6, 5:01*pm, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:53:53 -0800, harry wrote:
Well it was second hand. Ex-demo car.
It had done 156 miles.
I got it £6000 cheaper than new.

There is a £5000 gov subsidy. I mention this to annoy TurNiP

Ah, OK. So effectively you only paid £20k for a car that, in petrol form,
was £10k new before being discontinued four years ago.

So that's a difference in price that equals 90,000 miles worth of petrol.

At todays petrol prices. Also no road tax. For now anyway.

Insurance about the same as a normal car.

harry February 6th 13 05:14 PM

Electric car.

On Feb 6, 5:01*pm, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:54:47 -0800, harry wrote:
Near half a ton of battery weight.

In a car that, in petrol form, weighs 900kg ready-to-go.

Weighs more in electric form. But much better performance.

Adrian February 6th 13 05:44 PM

Electric car.

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 09:13:49 -0800, harry wrote:

Also no road tax.

A saving of a whole £30/year over the petrol version.

Mike Tomlinson February 6th 13 05:47 PM

Electric car.

En el artículo
groups.com, harry escribió:

No lithium ion.

Oh, like the ones that have grounded 787 Dreamliners the world over?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

polygonum February 6th 13 06:02 PM

Electric car.

On 06/02/2013 17:47, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo
groups.com, harry escribió:

No lithium ion.

Oh, like the ones that have grounded 787 Dreamliners the world over?

Also, IIRC, made by Yuasa.

--
Rod

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] February 6th 13 06:33 PM

Electric car.

On 06/02/13 16:44, harry wrote:
On Feb 6, 12:30 pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 06/02/2013 10:37, harry wrote:

I now have an electric car.

what make/model?

A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV

They *did* see you coming then

Jim K[_3_] February 6th 13 06:43 PM

Electric car.

On 6 Feb, 18:33, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 06/02/13 16:44, harry wrote: On Feb 6, 12:30 pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 06/02/2013 10:37, harry wrote:

I now have an electric car.

what make/model?

A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV

They *did* see you coming then

launched snip on April 1, 2010, for the wider public

mmmm

Jim K.

Jim K[_3_] February 6th 13 07:11 PM

Electric car.

On 6 Feb, 17:14, harry wrote:
On Feb 6, 5:01*pm, Adrian wrote:

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:54:47 -0800, harry wrote:
Near half a ton of battery weight.

In a car that, in petrol form, weighs 900kg ready-to-go.

Weighs more in electric form. But much better performance.

0-60 mph:
petrol 14.9 Seconds
elec 11.9 seconds

(oh & range of 80miles when driven by Sister Dora)

Sunsational..

at least you don't get paid as much when you charge it with your
lovely big solar peniles...when it's sunny..

Jim K

Graham.[_2_] February 6th 13 07:14 PM

Electric car.

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 09:13:49 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Feb 6, 5:01*pm, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:53:53 -0800, harry wrote:
Well it was second hand. Ex-demo car.
It had done 156 miles.
I got it £6000 cheaper than new.

There is a £5000 gov subsidy. I mention this to annoy TurNiP

Ah, OK. So effectively you only paid £20k for a car that, in petrol form,
was £10k new before being discontinued four years ago.

So that's a difference in price that equals 90,000 miles worth of petrol.

At todays petrol prices. Also no road tax. For now anyway.

Insurance about the same as a normal car.

And the person you hit doesn't hear you coming, so it's more humane.