Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric car.

On Feb 6, 9:30*pm, polygonum wrote:
On 06/02/2013 21:25, wrote: On Feb 6, 10:37 am, harry wrote:
I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

Nice toy, wish I had the spare cash to buy one.

Now all you need do is fit a tow bar and buy one of these
http://www.hss.com/g/41520/20kVA-Sil...nerator.htmlto
make it useful

Philip

Trouble is, the vehicle is specced at 49 kW so 20kVA is a bit low...

--
Rod

That is the max power. But most of the time you use a tenth of that.
The traction battery is only 15Kwh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo
oups.com, harry escribió:

The very same!

You could carry a fire extinguisher with you, except they don't work on
lithium ion battery fires :-)

probably depends on which type of fire extinguisher.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2013 06:27, harry wrote:
On Feb 6, 9:30 pm, polygonum wrote:
On 06/02/2013 21:25, wrote: On Feb 6, 10:37 am, harry wrote:
I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

Nice toy, wish I had the spare cash to buy one.

Now all you need do is fit a tow bar and buy one of these
http://www.hss.com/g/41520/20kVA-Sil...nerator.htmlto
make it useful

Philip

Trouble is, the vehicle is specced at 49 kW so 20kVA is a bit low...

--
Rod

That is the max power. But most of the time you use a tenth of that.
The traction battery is only 15Kwh.

However, assuming that max. power is used, for example, when
accelerating or going uphill, having less than half the power available
would reduce performance very significantly. (Even ignoring the fact you
are now towing a lump.)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Feb 6, 9:25 pm, " wrote:
On Feb 6, 10:37 am, harry wrote:

I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

Nice toy, wish I had the spare cash to buy one.

Now all you need do is fit a tow bar and buy one of
thesehttp://www.hss.com/g/41520/20kVA-Silenced-Diesel-Generator.htmlto
make it useful

Philip

Towing is not recommended. Or charging from a portable generator.

Then you'll need that ****ing long extension cord and the tent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo
oups.com, harry escribió:

The very same!

You could carry a fire extinguisher with you, except they don't work on
lithium ion battery fires :-)

probably depends on which type of fire extinguisher.

Nope, none of them work with those.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
On 07/02/2013 06:27, harry wrote:
On Feb 6, 9:30 pm, polygonum wrote:
Trouble is, the vehicle is specced at 49 kW so 20kVA is a bit low...

That is the max power. But most of the time you use a tenth of that.
The traction battery is only 15Kwh.

However, assuming that max. power is used, for example, when
accelerating or going uphill, having less than half the power available
would reduce performance very significantly. (Even ignoring the fact you
are now towing a lump.)

If you're just using the generator to keep the battery charged, the
battery would take up the slack, but 49kW isn't a great dela of power to
get what would be a total of a ton and a half up a steep hill.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 21:01:37 +0000, polygonum
wrote:

You do indeed use up stored energy when stood in traffic - if you wish
to keep warm in the winter.

Catalytic pocket warmers, in a pair of chinos and all over the body
warmer.
Be a bit bulky, of course.
Having suffered in trucks, vans and cars with defective or missing
heaters, I've no envy of those who choose to run an electric car in
the winter.
At least on a bike you're exercising and on a motorcycle you don't
notice it too much if you're dressed for it. The odd thing about being
in a heaterless car is you really feel it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 04:10:42 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

Windshield is reported to have cracked on one. I wondered at the time
if it was because of excessive flexing of the structure.

The windshield will contribute something to that same structure, iwt.
Not good. I bet it's like a wibbly-wobbly toy when the stresses are
just right.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 08:53:53 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

There is a £5000 gov subsidy. I mention this to annoy TurNiP

Good man, Harry. See, you're not a complete arse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

You do indeed use up stored energy when stood in traffic - if you wish
to keep warm in the winter.

Catalytic pocket warmers, in a pair of chinos and all over the body
warmer.
Be a bit bulky, of course.
Having suffered in trucks, vans and cars with defective or missing
heaters, I've no envy of those who choose to run an electric car in
the winter.
At least on a bike you're exercising and on a motorcycle you don't
notice it too much if you're dressed for it. The odd thing about being
in a heaterless car is you really feel it.

Given that 70% if a cars engine output is heat, its a huge amount to add
to a relatively efficient electrical setup.

One can imagine people dying of cold stuck in snowdrifts in their eco cars.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian
writes
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:44:14 -0800, harry wrote:

I now have an electric car.

what make/model?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV

Riiight.

Last UK new price for a petrol-powered Mitsu i was less than £10k when it
was dropped in 2009. A new i-MiEV is north of £30k.

That difference is one hell of a lot of petrol. At the official 54mpg,
and £1.35/litre, it's about 180,000 miles worth of petrol. Assuming you
get the electricity free, of course.

I read somewhere that 2nd hand prices are rock bottom.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , polygonum
writes

http://www.hss.com/g/41520/20kVA-Sil...Generator.html to
make it useful

Philip

Trouble is, the vehicle is specced at 49 kW so 20kVA is a bit low...

It's for get-you-home mode
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/13 14:52, bert wrote:
In message , Adrian
writes
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:44:14 -0800, harry wrote:

I now have an electric car.

what make/model?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV

Riiight.

Last UK new price for a petrol-powered Mitsu i was less than £10k when it
was dropped in 2009. A new i-MiEV is north of £30k.

That difference is one hell of a lot of petrol. At the official 54mpg,
and £1.35/litre, it's about 180,000 miles worth of petrol. Assuming you
get the electricity free, of course.

I read somewhere that 2nd hand prices are rock bottom.

Like laptops, and power tools, once the battery is dead the rest is
pretty useless and expensive to repair..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2013 15:01, bert wrote:
In message , polygonum
writes
On 06/02/2013 21:25, wrote:
On Feb 6, 10:37 am, harry wrote:
I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

Nice toy, wish I had the spare cash to buy one.

Now all you need do is fit a tow bar and buy one of these
http://www.hss.com/g/41520/20kVA-Sil...Generator.html to
make it useful

Philip

Trouble is, the vehicle is specced at 49 kW so 20kVA is a bit low...

It's for get-you-home mode

I took it as being for "South of England to North of Scotland" mode!

Or even, "to the next town" mode.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 7, 9:57*am, John Williamson
wrote:
polygonum wrote:
On 07/02/2013 06:27, harry wrote:
On Feb 6, 9:30 pm, polygonum wrote:
Trouble is, the vehicle is specced at 49 kW so 20kVA is a bit low...

That is the max power. But most of the time you use a tenth of that.
The traction battery is only 15Kwh.

However, assuming that max. power is used, for example, when
accelerating or going uphill, having less than half the power available
would reduce performance very significantly. (Even ignoring the fact you
are now towing a lump.)

If you're just using the generator to keep the battery charged, the
battery would take up the slack, but 49kW isn't a great dela of power to
get what would be a total of a ton and a half up a steep hill.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Goes up our local hill (1:8) at 40+mph
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2013 15:01, bert wrote:
In message , polygonum
writes
On 06/02/2013 21:25, wrote:
On Feb 6, 10:37 am, harry wrote:
I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

Nice toy, wish I had the spare cash to buy one.

Now all you need do is fit a tow bar and buy one of these
http://www.hss.com/g/41520/20kVA-Sil...Generator.html to
make it useful

Philip

Trouble is, the vehicle is specced at 49 kW so 20kVA is a bit low...

It's for get-you-home mode

20kVA should be fine, unless you intend to go at high speed down a
motorway. Don't forget that's continuous, while the motor rating is peak.

Whether you regard 49kW as enough when there's half a ton of batteries
underneath is another matter.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Optimum speed is around 40 mph. Drag varies as the square of speed.
So not ideal for motorway though goodfor 83 *mph.
You might get 20 miles at that speed, maybe not.

What's the heater like when its rather cold like now?..
--
Tony Sayer

Heater works fine. But best to pre-heat it whilst it's plugged in on
charge..

So in reality then not a lot of cop when you need it most;...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry writes:

On Feb 6, 9:25=A0pm, " wrote:
On Feb 6, 10:37=A0am, harry wrote:

I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

Nice toy, wish I had the spare cash to buy one.

Now all you need do is fit a tow bar and buy one of thesehttp://www.hss.c=

om/g/41520/20kVA-Silenced-Diesel-Generator.htmlto
make it useful

Philip

Towing is not recommended. Or charging from a portable generator.

That's odd, because a little 1KW Honda generator in the boot would be a
life-saver in some situations. If I could afford such a car, I'd
probably make sure that any generator was well-regulated, but I'd want
one.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson writes:

En el artículo , John Williamson
escribió:

If you want to worry some more about flying in one, it's the largest
non-metallic aircraft fuselage ever built, and life testing them is at
the stage that metal fatigue testing was at in the days of the Comet.

Windshield is reported to have cracked on one. I wondered at the time
if it was because of excessive flexing of the structure.

Presumably this refers to the 'Dreamliner'. Didn't they move
development from Redmond or thereabouts to Chicago? I doubt that was a
helpful change, and before it went into service an airline pilot told
me it was a lemon. Of course they'll eventually fix all the bugs, but
it might never be regarded as a good plane.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer writes:

Optimum speed is around 40 mph. Drag varies as the square of speed.
So not ideal for motorway though goodfor 83 *mph.
You might get 20 miles at that speed, maybe not.

What's the heater like when its rather cold like now?..
--
Tony Sayer

Heater works fine. But best to pre-heat it whilst it's plugged in on
charge..

So in reality then not a lot of cop when you need it most;...

Realistically there should be a small oil tank and an oil-burning
heater, though that would be anathema to a purist.

I have a vague notion that some early Beetles sold into the Canadian
market were so equipped. BICBW.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Windmill spam-no-
lid escribió:

Presumably this refers to the 'Dreamliner'.

Yes.

http://news.yahoo.com/crack-appeared...dreamliner-no-
injuries-043703966--finance.html

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Windmill wrote:
Towing is not recommended. Or charging from a portable generator.

That's odd, because a little 1KW Honda generator in the boot would be a
life-saver in some situations. If I could afford such a car, I'd
probably make sure that any generator was well-regulated, but I'd want
one.

But it would take forever to charge the battery. Be far quicker to phone
for a tow.

--
*According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, February 6, 2013 4:54:47 PM UTC, harry wrote:
On Feb 6, 2:05*pm, Jim K wrote:

On 6 Feb, 13:43, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

In article

.com, harry writes

I now have an electric car.

A second hand Sinclair C5?

'second' ?!?!

possibly ex "Time Team Big Disappointing Dig" ? ;)

presumably now "running" aldidl NiMh batteries for extra eco bollox

No lithium ion. Near half a ton of battery weight.

I'm always curious about claimed mileage on electric cars. What effect does using the heater/heated rear screen/air conditioning/radio etc have on this claimed mileage.
Someone mentioned a heater fuelled by diesel. Is this a common thing on these vehicles ? (Anybody else remember the Volkswagen K70. Had a heater which could be run on petrol i.s.t.r.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
[snip]

Someone mentioned a heater fuelled by diesel. Is this a common thing on
these vehicles ? (Anybody else remember the Volkswagen K70. Had a heater
which could be run on petrol i.s.t.r.)

Eberspacher heaters and Truma heaters are common fitments to boats, trucks
and motorhomes. They work as described on diesel or propane, propane is
probably slightly "greener" and there's a refilling infrastructure in
place.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:

fred wrote:
[snip]

Someone mentioned a heater fuelled by diesel. Is this a common thing on
these vehicles ? (Anybody else remember the Volkswagen K70. Had a heater
which could be run on petrol i.s.t.r.)

Eberspacher heaters and Truma heaters are common fitments to boats, trucks
and motorhomes. They work as described on diesel or propane, propane is
probably slightly "greener" and there's a refilling infrastructure in
place.

Some years ago, when visiting colleagues at what was then Asea,
they explained that, if you were in the works car park in winter,
about 30 minutes before finishing time, you could hear car
heaters firing up on timers, ready for the homeward run.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2013 02:14, Windmill wrote:
harry writes:

On Feb 6, 9:25=A0pm, " wrote:
On Feb 6, 10:37=A0am, harry wrote:

I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

Nice toy, wish I had the spare cash to buy one.

Now all you need do is fit a tow bar and buy one of thesehttp://www.hss.c=

om/g/41520/20kVA-Silenced-Diesel-Generator.htmlto
make it useful

Philip

Towing is not recommended. Or charging from a portable generator.

That's odd, because a little 1KW Honda generator in the boot would be a
life-saver in some situations. If I could afford such a car, I'd
probably make sure that any generator was well-regulated, but I'd want
one.

An engine would be handy for the odd long journey. It doesn't
particularly need a generator though:-

http://www.mrsharkey.com/pusher.htm

I wonder how it handles on corners...

Cheers,

Colin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 8, 10:23*am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
* *Windmill wrote:

Towing is not recommended. Or charging from a portable generator.

That's odd, because a little 1KW Honda generator in the boot would be a
life-saver in some situations. If I could afford such a car, I'd
probably make sure that any generator was well-regulated, but I'd want
one.

But it would take forever to charge the battery. Be far quicker to phone
for a tow.

--
*According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.

It draws 2.2Kw on charge.
About an hour's charge for every ten miles.
You don't have to charge it completely to get mobile again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 6, 2:05*pm, Jim K wrote:

On 6 Feb, 13:43, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

In article

.com, harry writes

I now have an electric car.

A second hand Sinclair C5?

'second' ?!?!

possibly ex "Time Team Big Disappointing Dig" ? ;)

presumably now "running" aldidl NiMh batteries for extra eco bollox

No lithium ion. *Near half a ton of battery weight.

I'm always curious about claimed mileage on electric cars. What *effect does using the heater/heated rear screen/air conditioning/radio etc have on this claimed mileage.
Someone mentioned a heater fuelled by diesel. Is this a common thing on these vehicles ? (Anybody else remember the Volkswagen K70. Had a heater which could be run on petrol i.s.t.r.)

Big effect. I went on a run yesterday with the heater on full belt. I
estimate it cut the range by about a quarter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 8, 11:16*am, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Windmill spam-no-
scribeth thus

harry writes:

On Feb 6, 9:25=A0pm, " wrote:
On Feb 6, 10:37=A0am, harry wrote:

I now have an electric car.
A lot of unexpected things about it when you read the book.
Eg, it has a radiator.

Nice toy, wish I had the spare cash to buy one.

Now all you need do is fit a tow bar and buy one of thesehttp://www.hss.c=
om/g/41520/20kVA-Silenced-Diesel-Generator.htmlto
make it useful

Philip

Towing is not recommended. Or charging from a portable generator.

That's odd, because a little 1KW Honda generator in the boot would be a
life-saver in some situations. If I could afford such a car, I'd
probably make sure that any generator was well-regulated, but I'd want
one.

Umm.. just how far and fast would 1 kW move or take you?...

--
Tony Sayer

.

One KWh takes you about five miles@ 40mph..
Less on hills and going faster or with the heater/AC on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry writes:

On Feb 6, 9:25=A0pm, " wrote:
[...]

It is quite good. Low C of G independent suspension all round. Small
wheels, high tyre pressures, you feel the bumps a bit. Front wheels
very narrow,probably tyres not last long.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry writes:

On Feb 6, 9:25=A0pm, " wrote:
[...]

He was talking about the pusher trailer, silly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry writes:

On Feb 6, 9:25=A0pm, " wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you are talking about a mobility scooter there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2013 21:10, polygonum wrote:

Reassuring, I'd say. Ain't going to suffer metal fatigue if it is all
plastic/carbon fibre. :-)

Are not Airbus having problems with composite wings cracking?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/13 19:00, alan wrote:
On 06/02/2013 21:10, polygonum wrote:

Reassuring, I'd say. Ain't going to suffer metal fatigue if it is all
plastic/carbon fibre. :-)

Are not Airbus having problems with composite wings cracking?

Haven't heard of that one..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2013 19:00, alan wrote:
Are not Airbus having problems with composite wings cracking?

Not AFAIK. There's a minor problem with cracks appearing in an alloy
wing component - apparently they chose the wrong one - and since it's a
small component used all along the wing one crack after a few years
flying it isn't a major problem anyway.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Feb 2013 07:53:27 +0000 (GMT), charles wrote:

You could carry a fire extinguisher with you, except they don't work
on lithium ion battery fires :-)

probably depends on which type of fire extinguisher.

Doesn't make a lot of difference. Li battery fires are very difficult to
put out as the battery contains enough oxygen to sustain the fire. So
smothering doesn't work. The reactions are strongly exotermic so trying
to remove the heat is difficult and the fuel is the battery itself...

--
Cheers
Dave.