Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Electric car.

"harryagain" wrote in message

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
harry wrote:
On Feb 6, 4:58 pm, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:44:14 -0800, harry wrote:
I now have an electric car.
what make/model?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV
Riiight.

Last UK new price for a petrol-powered Mitsu i was less than £10k when
it
was dropped in 2009. A new i-MiEV is north of £30k.

That difference is one hell of a lot of petrol. At the official 54mpg,
and £1.35/litre, it's about 180,000 miles worth of petrol. Assuming you
get the electricity free, of course.

You are quite right about the economics.
Toys for the boys syndrome. Excellent toy.
You can sneak up on people.
But i suspect petrol will double in four or five years,

How much is a new battery?

Bill

There are two new diseases with electric cars.
Range anxiety.
And I hope my bttery won't deteriorate/fail anxiety.

The rumoured current price for a new battery is £15K

Fark, you paid that for the whole car.

Supposed to fall in the future?

Bet it doesn’t.

The battery is supposed to have 80% of it's capacity in 10 years if you
treat it right.

We'll see...

Very few used in power tools do when used as
often as you use a car.

It has forced air cooling for when on charge.
There have been problems in very hot/very cold climates.