Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Apprentice managed to lose a days pay

8am this morning he said that he was waiting for an important call and could
he keep his phone with him. I said yes and that if I caught him using the
phone for anyother reason he would lose a days pay.

Any guesses at what time he lost the days pay?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/12/2012 16:14, ARWadsworth wrote:
8am this morning he said that he was waiting for an important call and could
he keep his phone with him. I said yes and that if I caught him using the
phone for anyother reason he would lose a days pay.

Any guesses at what time he lost the days pay?

8.00am and one second..... :-)

Stephen

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I do feel that smartphones particularly are addictive, and maybe there needs
to be some form of counselling for this.

Personally I have not ventured down this alley, as I do like to be out of
touch at times just like we all used to be.

Brian

Email:

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
8am this morning he said that he was waiting for an important call and
could he keep his phone with him. I said yes and that if I caught him
using the phone for anyother reason he would lose a days pay.

Any guesses at what time he lost the days pay?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/12/12 16:14, ARWadsworth wrote:
8am this morning he said that he was waiting for an important call and could
he keep his phone with him. I said yes and that if I caught him using the
phone for anyother reason he would lose a days pay.

Any guesses at what time he lost the days pay?

8:12?

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 16:14:15 -0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

8am this morning he said that he was waiting for an important call and
could he keep his phone with him. I said yes and that if I caught him
using the phone for anyother reason he would lose a days pay.

Any guesses at what time he lost the days pay?

Now if the Subject: was worded a little differently I'd say this is one
of the brighter spark apprentices and he refrained from using his phone,
took the important call and then handed his phone over, keeping days pay
and earninga brownie point or three.

But as the Subject: is worded as it is 0803.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Any guesses at what time he lost the days pay?

I think smartphones warrent their own entry in the survival "rule of
threes": 3 weeks without food, 3 days without water, 3 hours without
shelter, 3 minutes without air, 3 seconds without facebook.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 16:38:08 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Personally I have not ventured down this alley, as I do like to be out of
touch at times just like we all used to be.

That's simple; you just ignore it or switch it off.
I regard most phone calls as intrusions and uninvited, so the caller
can take their chances whether I'm available or not.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 21:30:29 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Personally I have not ventured down this alley, as I do like to be out
of touch at times just like we all used to be.

That's simple; you just ignore it or switch it off.
I regard most phone calls as intrusions and uninvited, so the caller
can take their chances whether I'm available or not.

Yep and with caller ID you can decide if you want to speak to them before
answering as well. If I'm busy well tough that's what voice mail or
answering machines are for...

I find it very rude of people who must answer every call they get
instantly without an apology to me for the interuption to our
conversation. All it takes is a glance at the phone, and "Sorry, must
answer this" if they *really* do need to answer it, which TBH isn't
likely to be every call they get.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ah yes, but why have one if you are not going to use it much. I have a basic
phone and often only take it with me because I might be let down by
transport.

Brian

--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as
wrote:

Personally I have not ventured down this alley, as I do like to be out of
touch at times just like we all used to be.

That's simple; you just ignore it or switch it off.
I regard most phone calls as intrusions and uninvited, so the caller
can take their chances whether I'm available or not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 24/12/12 16:14, ARWadsworth wrote:
8am this morning he said that he was waiting for an important call
and could he keep his phone with him. I said yes and that if I
caught him using the phone for anyother reason he would lose a days
pay. Any guesses at what time he lost the days pay?

8:12?

It was 8:29am.

Working on a new build with no toilet and I told him I was going for a ****.
I just walked around the building and watched him through the window using
his phone.

I did not need a ****, I just wanted to catch him using the mobile phone.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 25, 1:58*am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
I have not bought one of the talking caller thingies, as the voice is an
intrusion in itself and they *seem to have screwed up the mobile version of
this. It cannot say simple words.Cyril for example comes out as sigh rill

Brian

American pronunciation.
Like Colin Powell.
Pronounced Coe-lin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 25, 4:18*am, "ARW" wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 24/12/12 16:14, ARWadsworth wrote:
8am this morning he said that he was waiting for an important call
and could he keep his phone with him. I said yes and that if I
caught him using the phone for anyother reason he would lose a days
pay. Any guesses at what time he lost the days pay?

8:12?

It was 8:29am.

Working on a new build with no toilet and I told him I was going for a ****.
I just walked around the building and watched him through the window using
his phone.

I did not need a ****, I just wanted to catch him using the mobile phone.

--
Adam

So who gets the prize?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

harry wrote:
On Dec 25, 4:18 am, "ARW" wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 24/12/12 16:14, ARWadsworth wrote:
8am this morning he said that he was waiting for an important
call and could he keep his phone with him. I said yes and that
if I caught him using the phone for anyother reason he would
lose a days pay. Any guesses at what time he lost the days pay?

8:12?

It was 8:29am.

Working on a new build with no toilet and I told him I was going
for a ****. I just walked around the building and watched him
through the window using his phone.

I did not need a ****, I just wanted to catch him using the mobile
phone.

--
Adam

So who gets the prize?

It's not worth winnng - it was his days wage.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/12/12 09:26, ARW wrote:
harry wrote:
On Dec 25, 4:18 am, "ARW" wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 24/12/12 16:14, ARWadsworth wrote:
8am this morning he said that he was waiting for an important
call and could he keep his phone with him. I said yes and that
if I caught him using the phone for anyother reason he would
lose a days pay. Any guesses at what time he lost the days pay?

8:12?

It was 8:29am.

Working on a new build with no toilet and I told him I was going
for a ****. I just walked around the building and watched him
through the window using his phone.

I did not need a ****, I just wanted to catch him using the mobile
phone.

--
Adam

So who gets the prize?

It's not worth winnng - it was his days wage.

Work is a terrible intrusion into ones social life.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 25/12/2012 09:26, ARW wrote:

It's not worth winnng - it was his days wage.

Why would anyone even begin to want to work for you?

Presumably, as you weren't paying him for the day, he went home at 8.30?
Or did you expect him to keep working for nothing just because you are
such a truly lovely person?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Any guesses at what time he lost the days pay?

I think smartphones warrent their own entry in the survival "rule of
threes": 3 weeks without food, 3 days without water, 3 hours without
shelter, 3 minutes without air, 3 seconds without facebook.

I have a mobile phone, that is what it is, a phone. If I want a camera I
buy one. I also have an e reader, now my daughter wants one, but she
wants it combined with...., so is having awful trouble deciding which
"tablet" to buy. She claims that she does not want to carry different
gadgets with her, so want a combi. Mind you perhaps I should buy one
with a decent memory, as mine is failing!

--
Remember the early bird may catch the worm but the second mouse gets the
cheese.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Any guesses at what time he lost the days pay?

I think smartphones warrent their own entry in the survival "rule of
threes": 3 weeks without food, 3 days without water, 3 hours without
shelter, 3 minutes without air, 3 seconds without facebook.

I have a mobile phone, that is what it is, a phone. If I want a camera I
buy one. I also have an e reader, now my daughter wants one, but she
wants it combined with...., so is having awful trouble deciding which
"tablet" to buy. She claims that she does not want to carry different
gadgets with her, so want a combi. Mind you perhaps I should buy one with
a decent memory, as mine is failing!

But having a decent camera built into a smartphone means I always have a
decent camera with me, and am able to send the pictures taken immediately
to other people in high quality. Much better than having to say "hang on
half an hour while I go and get my camera, find it the batteries have lost
charge since I last used it, charge them up and get ready to take a photo".
I find I have many more pictures that I like and keep just because it takes
me a few seconds to get the camera ready and take the photo.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

GB wrote:
On 25/12/2012 09:26, ARW wrote:

It's not worth winnng - it was his days wage.

Why would anyone even begin to want to work for you?

Presumably, as you weren't paying him for the day, he went home at
8.30? Or did you expect him to keep working for nothing just because
you are such a truly lovely person?

And the same to you with brass knobs on you steaming great ****.

Work is not a charity for mobile phone addicts.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Work is a terrible intrusion into ones social life.

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/12/2012 21:09, Owain wrote:
On Dec 24, 4:14 pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
8am this morning he said that he was waiting for an important call and could
he keep his phone with him. I said yes and that if I caught him using the
phone for anyother reason he would lose a days pay.

Are you allowed to dock pay below minimum wage?

Owain

It's important that he does lose a day's pay. They don't learn anything
otherwise
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 25/12/2012 21:34, stuart noble wrote:
On 25/12/2012 21:09, Owain wrote:
On Dec 24, 4:14 pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
8am this morning he said that he was waiting for an important call
and could
he keep his phone with him. I said yes and that if I caught him using
the
phone for anyother reason he would lose a days pay.

Are you allowed to dock pay below minimum wage?

Owain

It's important that he does lose a day's pay. They don't learn anything
otherwise

We will soon rue the day we get too attached to these mobile hi tech
mobile phones, next generation will have tracking systems that can have
the information recalled without you knowing, they will be able to send
back pictures, they will record your conversations etc etc. The taxman
will catch you out, the benefit scammers will be caught and the self
employed will be justifying every street they have been recorded in to
the tax man.
I will just go on using my 10 year old mobile with the added benefit
that if I leave it lying around most yobs would be too embarressed to
steal it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/12/2012 23:22, ss wrote:
[...]

The capabilities exist in every GSM phone... there are companies that
manufacture the kit to control them at a low enough level remotely as
well. Hence they can be instructed to enable the mic and transmit!

I will just go on using my 10 year old mobile with the added benefit
that if I leave it lying around most yobs would be too embarressed to
steal it.

Same tech works with them as well. On phones without GSM the positional
accuracy is not spot on, but it gives a general location.

Pulling the battery is the only sure way, but even that discloses the
information that you possibly don't want to be tracked at a particular
time ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 16:14:15 -0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

8am this morning he said that he was waiting for an important call
and could he keep his phone with him. I said yes and that if I
caught him using the phone for anyother reason he would lose a days
pay.

Any guesses at what time he lost the days pay?

Now if the Subject: was worded a little differently I'd say this is
one of the brighter spark apprentices and he refrained from using his
phone, took the important call and then handed his phone over,
keeping days pay and earninga brownie point or three.

The smarter apprentices are required to keep their mobiles with them. They
are required to take works calls.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message

, Simon Finnigan writes
wrote:
[...]

There's more to a decent camera than megapixels
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/2012 14:07, John Rumm wrote:
On 25/12/2012 23:22, ss wrote:
[...]

That is just rubbish, you can't remotely control a normal phone without
someone installing software to do it.

I will just go on using my 10 year old mobile with the added benefit
that if I leave it lying around most yobs would be too embarressed to
steal it.

Same tech works with them as well. On phones without GSM the positional
accuracy is not spot on, but it gives a general location.

Well he isn't going to be using non GSM phones anywhere around here.

Pulling the battery is the only sure way, but even that discloses the
information that you possibly don't want to be tracked at a particular
time ;-)

Pulling the battery does not.
However GSM phones are frequently doing what is necessary to allow them
to be tracked even when no call is made.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bert" ] wrote in message
In message

, Simon Finnigan writes
wrote:
[...]

But that may be all you need when someone has just
driven into your car and you want to take a picture of
their face so they can't claim it wasn't them driving at
the time etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/12/2012 23:22, ss wrote:
[...]

Odd, still it makes me wonder what my erstwhile colleague has been doing
for all those years since he went to work for an outfit that produce
this kind of kit for spooks and law enforcement etc.

Note that this is not the same as hacking or listening on in normal GSM
calls (although even that has been hacked now[1]) - this is basically
just using network primitives normally used for controlling the hardware
during call handling.

[1]
http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2010/12...-mobile-calls/

(note the comment at the end)

I will just go on using my 10 year old mobile with the added benefit
that if I leave it lying around most yobs would be too embarressed to
steal it.

Same tech works with them as well. On phones without GSM the positional
accuracy is not spot on, but it gives a general location.

Well he isn't going to be using non GSM phones anywhere around here.

Pulling the battery is the only sure way, but even that discloses the
information that you possibly don't want to be tracked at a particular
time ;-)

Pulling the battery does not.

A phone vanishing from a network at a certain time and location does
disclose information potentially of interest. i.e. that (failing the
battery simply running flat) one does not what to be "visible" for a
period. Not much value on its own, but potentially interesting when
combined with other sources of intelligence.

However GSM phones are frequently doing what is necessary to allow them
to be tracked even when no call is made.

Unless unpowered - see above.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/2012 14:58, bert wrote:
There's more to a decent camera than megapixels

That's true ... but... the best camera in the world is the one you have
with you.

My 'phone will take 2MP pictures that are good enough to stick on a
screen. Provided the light is good and I don't want to zoom that is.

I used it yesterday to take a video of a rather wet road.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Owain wrote:
On Dec 24, 4:14 pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
8am this morning he said that he was waiting for an important call
and could he keep his phone with him. I said yes and that if I
caught him using the phone for anyother reason he would lose a days
pay.

Are you allowed to dock pay below minimum wage?

Yes.

But that is not the same thing as "is legal to do so" is it?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
On 26/12/2012 14:58, bert wrote:
There's more to a decent camera than megapixels

That's true ... but... the best camera in the world is the one you have with you.

My 'phone will take 2MP pictures that are good enough to stick on a
screen. Provided the light is good and I don't want to zoom that is.

I used it yesterday to take a video of a rather wet road.

Andy

Yep. I've found I've taken more photos I like and keep since I got a smart
phone with a decent camera than I ever did before. It takes under five
seconds from deciding I want to take a photo to having the photo taken,
assuming my phone is in my pocket. If its in my hand, that goes down to
2-3 seconds. The quality is good enough to print out at A3 quality, not had
the need to print any bigger but I'd imagine it could get to A1 and still
be ok.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

bert ] wrote:
In message
, Simon Finnigan writes
wrote:
[...]

Like flash, reasonable optics, ability to take a fair photo in low light
conditions, ability to automatically backup my photos the moment I get in
range of a wifi network I've connected the camera to in the past, large
memory to take many photos, ability to take panorama photographs, ability
to record HD video that is good envy to watch on a large TV? My iPhone 5
ticks all those boxes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
Any guesses at what time he lost the days pay?
I think smartphones warrent their own entry in the survival "rule of
threes": 3 weeks without food, 3 days without water, 3 hours without
shelter, 3 minutes without air, 3 seconds without facebook.
I have a mobile phone, that is what it is, a phone. If I want a camera I
buy one. I also have an e reader, now my daughter wants one, but she
wants it combined with...., so is having awful trouble deciding which
"tablet" to buy. She claims that she does not want to carry different
gadgets with her, so want a combi. Mind you perhaps I should buy one with
a decent memory, as mine is failing!
But having a decent camera built into a smartphone means I always have a

decent camera with me, and am able to send the pictures taken immediately
to other people in high quality.

Poor quality, you mean. The optics is unavoidably going to be crap.

Might be worth looking at. Modern camera phone. Not everyone needs a
£15,000 level camera, and for those of us that only need good quality
photographs, a smart phone is more than enough.

Much better than having to say "hang on
half an hour while I go and get my camera, find it the batteries have lost
charge since I last used it, charge them up and get ready to take a photo".

Eneloop batteries of similar.

Ok, so her limiting herself to a camera that takes AA or similar batteries,
taking a lot of cameras on the market out of the question.

I find I have many more pictures that I like and keep just because it takes
me a few seconds to get the camera ready and take the photo.

Yes, I really regret not having a camera in my pocket at all times, for
those bank robberies, car crashes, flying saucers, and other similar
things that happen to me on a daily basis.

For those of us with friends and family that we enjoy time with, and want
photos to remember that (say my four year old niece opening her Christmas
presents), the ability to take photographs is quite useful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 18:06:02 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:

My 'phone will take 2MP pictures that are good enough to stick on a
screen.

As near as dammit as good as HD telly then.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 17:54:36 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

Pulling the battery is the only sure way, but even that discloses the
information that you possibly don't want to be tracked at a
particular time ;-)

Pulling the battery does not.

A phone vanishing from a network at a certain time and location does
disclose information potentially of interest. i.e. that (failing the
battery simply running flat) one does not what to be "visible" for a
period. Not much value on its own, but potentially interesting when
combined with other sources of intelligence.

Agreed but dennis isn't the brightest of the posters in here though.

Abscence of information could be far more useful than the precense of
information. Turning off your phone when "up to no good" is probably not
wise, particulary if your phone is normally on. Better to leave it some
where then collect afterwards but then it would be static which is also
an indication... Maybe give it to someone else to carry about for a while
but you'd need to know where they went and at what times in case you were
questioned.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
[...]

Or just routinely leave the phone off except when making calls.

Then it being off is nothing unusual.

Corse it's a bit hard to receive calls that way, texts are fine tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 15:45:22 +0000, Simon Finnigan wrote:
But having a decent camera built into a smartphone means I always have a
decent camera with me, and am able to send the pictures taken
immediately to other people in high quality. Much better than having to
say "hang on half an hour while I go and get my camera, find it the
batteries have lost charge since I last used it, charge them up and get
ready to take a photo". I find I have many more pictures that I like and
keep just because it takes me a few seconds to get the camera ready and
take the photo.

Well, I like having a decent camera with a decent lens, the batteries
last for ages between charges, and if anyone I know is so impatient that
they can't wait for half an hour for something I'd probably just tell
them to feck off anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-12-26, Tim Streater wrote:
In article

and for those of us that only need good quality
photographs, a smart phone is ...

... totally inadequate.

Hardly - not even the camera snobs I know are making the claim that a good
smart phone camera is inadequate. Maybe if you want to print photographs at
A0 and bigger, but for most people in most situations, there's so little
difference between a smart phone and a consumer level camera you'd be hard
pushed to tell the difference when printed out at normal size, or viewed on
a normal monitor.

New Apprentice ARW UK diy 4 October 25th 12 08:54 AM
That's one less apprentice ARWadsworth UK diy 61 June 25th 12 09:44 PM
Just managed to upset another customer ARWadsworth UK diy 5 March 12th 12 12:43 PM
OT I finally managed to lock a policeman up ARWadsworth UK diy 5 January 27th 12 09:36 PM
First responders program for YOU from FEMA, managed by your locals carl mciver Metalworking 24 September 30th 05 02:06 PM