Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default mixer tap spout

The spout on our kitchen mixer tap has always been a bit stiff so I
thought I'd take it off and have a look. Problem is, the grub screw at
the back is too close to the tiles to get any sort of screwdriver in
there. I had thought I could hold a bit in a pair of mole grips, but
even that's too long. The gap I have is around 23mm. An allen key with a
phillips/pozi head might fit, but is there such a thing? I'm sure
plumbers must have encountered this problem.
Cheers for any advice
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
The spout on our kitchen mixer tap has always been a bit stiff so I
thought I'd take it off and have a look. Problem is, the grub screw at
the back is too close to the tiles to get any sort of screwdriver in
there. I had thought I could hold a bit in a pair of mole grips, but
even that's too long. The gap I have is around 23mm. An allen key with a
phillips/pozi head might fit, but is there such a thing? I'm sure
plumbers must have encountered this problem.
Cheers for any advice

You can get right angled screwdrivers, even ratchet ones

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2611145...pes& var=sbar
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2012 14:15, F Murtz wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
The spout on our kitchen mixer tap has always been a bit stiff so I
thought I'd take it off and have a look. Problem is, the grub screw at
the back is too close to the tiles to get any sort of screwdriver in
there. I had thought I could hold a bit in a pair of mole grips, but
even that's too long. The gap I have is around 23mm. An allen key with a
phillips/pozi head might fit, but is there such a thing? I'm sure
plumbers must have encountered this problem.
Cheers for any advice

You can get right angled screwdrivers, even ratchet ones

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2611145...pes& var=sbar

I have something very similar which is a Halfords "own brand". Failing
that you could always grip a screwdriver bit in a small mole wrench
which would let you apply axial force as well as "twist".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
The spout on our kitchen mixer tap has always been a bit stiff so I
thought I'd take it off and have a look. Problem is, the grub screw at
the back is too close to the tiles to get any sort of screwdriver in
there. I had thought I could hold a bit in a pair of mole grips, but
even that's too long. The gap I have is around 23mm. An allen key with a
phillips/pozi head might fit, but is there such a thing? I'm sure
plumbers must have encountered this problem.
Cheers for any advice

You can get right angled screwdrivers, even ratchet ones

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2611145...pes& var=sbar

But it needs an inch and I don't quite have that much
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
The spout on our kitchen mixer tap has always been a bit stiff so I
thought I'd take it off and have a look. Problem is, the grub screw at
the back is too close to the tiles to get any sort of screwdriver in
there. I had thought I could hold a bit in a pair of mole grips, but
even that's too long. The gap I have is around 23mm. An allen key with a
phillips/pozi head might fit, but is there such a thing? I'm sure
plumbers must have encountered this problem.
Cheers for any advice

You can get right angled screwdrivers, even ratchet ones

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2611145...pes& var=sbar

I have something very similar which is a Halfords "own brand". Failing
that you could always grip a screwdriver bit in a small mole wrench
which would let you apply axial force as well as "twist".

Ah, you obviously missed the mole grips mention in the original post
The bits I have are all 25mm and I imagine that's a standard size.
I could do with 3 or 4 mm less. Looks like an angle grinder job

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
stuart noble wrote:
The spout on our kitchen mixer tap has always been a bit stiff so I
thought I'd take it off and have a look. Problem is, the grub screw at
the back is too close to the tiles to get any sort of screwdriver in
there. I had thought I could hold a bit in a pair of mole grips, but
even that's too long. The gap I have is around 23mm. An allen key with a
phillips/pozi head might fit, but is there such a thing? I'm sure
plumbers must have encountered this problem.
Cheers for any advice

You can get right angled screwdrivers, even ratchet ones

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2611145...pes& var=sbar

But it needs an inch and I don't quite have that much

It will be an allen key. Mine are. Bloody modern rubbish.
Bite the bullet, take best guess and cut an allen key to a short length.
Or, blast it with WD 40 or something.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 13:42:42 +0000, stuart noble
wrote:

The spout on our kitchen mixer tap has always been a bit stiff so I
thought I'd take it off and have a look. Problem is, the grub screw at
the back is too close to the tiles to get any sort of screwdriver in
there. I had thought I could hold a bit in a pair of mole grips, but
even that's too long. The gap I have is around 23mm. An allen key with a
phillips/pozi head might fit, but is there such a thing? I'm sure
plumbers must have encountered this problem.
Cheers for any advice

23mm is not a lot to play with, I have an Xcelite right angled ratchet
screwdriver, but even that might struggle with so little clearance (it was a
*very* silly price from Farnell a few years back but was the only way to do one
particular job and someone else was picking up the bill)

It's similar to this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-RT-RIGH...-/280392063150

If the tap is on flexies then just remove the nut and use a normal screwdriver

Alternatively use a core drill from the outside and then use a long screwdriver,
refit core and bodge with silicone sealant and gaffer tape.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2012 13:42, stuart noble wrote:
The spout on our kitchen mixer tap has always been a bit stiff so I
thought I'd take it off and have a look. Problem is, the grub screw at
the back is too close to the tiles to get any sort of screwdriver in
there. I had thought I could hold a bit in a pair of mole grips, but
even that's too long. The gap I have is around 23mm. An allen key with a
phillips/pozi head might fit, but is there such a thing? I'm sure
plumbers must have encountered this problem.
Cheers for any advice

I'm not quite sure from your post whether the screw has a socket for an
Allen key, or whether it's Pozi.

However - whichever it is - I assume that you've got a bit which fits
it? The bit is presumably hexagonal is section, to fit a normal driver?
Rather than use a Mole Wrench, why not rotate the bit with a suitably
sized ring spanner? If the bit is too long for the available space,
grind some off the non-working end.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2012 18:02, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Chicken and egg. I think it's a pozi but I can't tell for sure because
the bit's too long. Yes, it's angle grinder time.
I'm guessing the grub screw has no effect on how freely the spout moves,
and I'm now wondering whether there's anything I can do even if I take
it apart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Did you even read my post?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2012 18:16, Mr Pounder wrote:
[...]

I did, but it's not an allen key. It's either pozi or philips. My allen
keys are shorter and there would be room for them if they had a pozi or
philips head. Did you even read mine?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Well, thanks for saying taa for the effort Mr Pounder.
I tried to help and was ignored.
You just have to be a southerner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2012 18:11, stuart noble wrote:
[...]

If I remember rightly, the grub screw sits in a groove in the spout and
stops it moving up and out of the fitting so, in principle, taking that
out should let you lift it out (cack in the gap permitting)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Other Mike
writes
wrote:

The spout on our kitchen mixer tap has always been a bit stiff so I
thought I'd take it off and have a look. Problem is, the grub screw at
the back is too close to the tiles to get any sort of screwdriver in
there. I had thought I could hold a bit in a pair of mole grips, but
even that's too long. The gap I have is around 23mm. An allen key with a
phillips/pozi head might fit, but is there such a thing? I'm sure
plumbers must have encountered this problem.
Cheers for any advice

23mm is not a lot to play with, I have an Xcelite right angled ratchet
screwdriver, but even that might struggle with so little clearance (it was a
*very* silly price from Farnell a few years back but was the only way to do one
particular job and someone else was picking up the bill)

It's similar to this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-RT-RIGH...EWDRIVER-TOOL-
SET-/280392063150

If the tap is on flexies then just remove the nut and use a normal screwdriver

Alternatively use a core drill from the outside and then use a long
screwdriver,
refit core and bodge with silicone sealant and gaffer tape.

To avoid this problem, I on a couple of occasions I've made sure that I
fitted the tap 'the wrong way round', so that the grub-screw was at the
front (and adjusted the handles to suit). Of course, if you do have to
remove the spout (say to replace the O-ring), to forestall the
inevitable departure and loss of the grub-screw, make sure that the plug
is in the plug-hole.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2012 19:05, Mr Pounder wrote:
[...]

If you don't want to be ignored, you should perhaps read the post before
replying. It's not like it was long and rambling. Sorry and all that,
but it's normal to thank one and all when the thread dies. If you want
individual thanks you're probably in the wrong place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2012 21:24, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , The Other Mike
writes

wrote:

[...]

Wow, that's what you call forward thinking!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2012 20:40, GMM wrote:
[...]

That's what I thought. This thing has been stiff since the day it was
fitted. I hoped it would loosen up in use but that hasn't happened
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , stuart noble
writes
On 15/11/2012 20:40, GMM wrote:
On 15/11/2012 18:11, stuart noble wrote:
On 15/11/2012 18:02, Roger Mills wrote:

If I remember rightly, the grub screw sits in a groove in the spout and
stops it moving up and out of the fitting so, in principle, taking that
out should let you lift it out (cack in the gap permitting)

That's what I thought. This thing has been stiff since the day it was
fitted. I hoped it would loosen up in use but that hasn't happened

A spot of silicone grease (or other high-melting-point grease) should
help. [So will WD40, but it's effectiveness probably won't last very
long.]
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , stuart noble
writes

wrote:

[...]

I was once a Boy Scout, and still live by the motto.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/2012 09:08, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , stuart noble
writes
On 15/11/2012 20:40, GMM wrote:
On 15/11/2012 18:11, stuart noble wrote:
On 15/11/2012 18:02, Roger Mills wrote:

If I remember rightly, the grub screw sits in a groove in the spout and
stops it moving up and out of the fitting so, in principle, taking that
out should let you lift it out (cack in the gap permitting)

That's what I thought. This thing has been stiff since the day it was
fitted. I hoped it would loosen up in use but that hasn't happened

A spot of silicone grease (or other high-melting-point grease) should
help. [So will WD40, but it's effectiveness probably won't last very long.]

Very difficult to get any lubricant in there. Because of the design it
would have to soak upwards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , stuart noble
writes
On 15/11/2012 20:40, GMM wrote:
On 15/11/2012 18:11, stuart noble wrote:
On 15/11/2012 18:02, Roger Mills wrote:

If I remember rightly, the grub screw sits in a groove in the spout and
stops it moving up and out of the fitting so, in principle, taking that
out should let you lift it out (cack in the gap permitting)

That's what I thought. This thing has been stiff since the day it was
fitted. I hoped it would loosen up in use but that hasn't happened

A spot of silicone grease (or other high-melting-point grease) should
help. [So will WD40, but it's effectiveness probably won't last very long.]

Very difficult to get any lubricant in there. Because of the design it
would have to soak upwards.

You'll need to pull the spout off first, dry it and the bit it plugs
into, and then apply the grease.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Don't try to tell me what is normal in a thread.
Have you even tried a blast of WD 40?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/2012 14:13, Mr Pounder wrote:
[...]

Yes, and I've even said why that doesn't work

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I missed it.
Take care :-)

Errrrr, you could always employ a plumber like I had to do with my 4 year
old dripping kitchen tap.
Bloody ceramic washers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/2012 16:15, Mr Pounder wrote:
[...]

Well, it's done. Boy those screwdriver bits are hard, so shortening them
is not trivial. Tried the hacksaw but it would have taken all day.
Managed to grind a couple of mm off and that was enough to get the screw
started, then it was pliers and fingers. Used vaseline because I
couldn't find the silicone spray. Moving a bit more freely now I think
but I'm not sure about the white plastic washer at the top. It's not a
full circle so it may be broken or it may be designed that way. I'm
happy to leave well alone for now, and we'll see if her indoors notices
the change.
Thanks everybody.

Faucet spout twfsa Home Repair 7 November 16th 09 02:50 AM
Mixer tap (kitchen sink): spout getting 'heavy' to swivel MM UK diy 6 August 14th 05 11:09 PM
Can This Spout Be Repaired? Decij Home Repair 2 March 13th 04 01:20 PM
Pipe to put tub spout on is too big zjw Home Repair 3 November 26th 03 02:27 AM
Installing New Tub Spout andy Home Repair 4 October 19th 03 09:57 PM