andy

Default Installing New Tub Spout

I am trying to install a new tub spout but I can turn it only to where the
spout points at four o'clock rather than six o'clock. I have really torqued
it down with both hands and a wrench handle inside the spout to get it this
far. The stem is a 4-5 inch copper piece with a 1/2 inch nipple soldered on
it. I don't want to put anymore pressure on for fear of breaking the
copper/solder connection. If I can get it to its six o'clock position, the
back of the spout will be about 1/8 inch from the tile wall(within caulking
distance). Stopping it at six o'clock on the previous turn makes it too far
away from the wall in my opinion and it feels loose. Is there a 1/2 inch
tapp made to add another thread or two to the spout (there is room inside
the spout to do this)?

I could desolder the nipple and cut a small piece off the copper pipe and
resolder it back on but I don't have much experience with this. Would I
need some kind of heat sink so I don't desolder the joint behind the wall if
this is the recommended choice? The pipe does flex back into the wall when
I push on it but it just flexes right back in place when I let go. Can I
try to tap on this to permanently move it back into the wall a little or am
I asking for trouble? Thanks if anyone out there has knowledge on solving
this problem.

Bryant

"andy" hngaaa(remove this wrote in message
. ..
I am trying to install a new tub spout but I can turn it only to where the
spout points at four o'clock rather than six o'clock. I have really

torqued
it down with both hands and a wrench handle inside the spout to get it

this
far. The stem is a 4-5 inch copper piece with a 1/2 inch nipple soldered

on
it. I don't want to put anymore pressure on for fear of breaking the
copper/solder connection. If I can get it to its six o'clock position,

the
back of the spout will be about 1/8 inch from the tile wall(within

caulking
distance). Stopping it at six o'clock on the previous turn makes it too

far
away from the wall in my opinion and it feels loose.

try wrapping the threads with teflon tape 1st.

Is there a 1/2 inch
tapp made to add another thread or two to the spout (there is room inside
the spout to do this)?

that would make it futher off the wall.

I could desolder the nipple and cut a small piece off the copper pipe and
resolder it back on but I don't have much experience with this. Would I
need some kind of heat sink so I don't desolder the joint behind the wall

if
this is the recommended choice?

it sounds like the copper pipe was placed too far forward.
cutting the pipe and resoldering is the way to go.

The pipe does flex back into the wall when
I push on it but it just flexes right back in place when I let go. Can I
try to tap on this to permanently move it back into the wall a little or

am
I asking for trouble?

you are askng for a potential leak.

Thanks if anyone out there has knowledge on solving
this problem.

Joe Bobst

Is there a 1/2 inch tap made to add another thread or two to the spout
(there is room inside the spout to do this)?
that would make it futher off the wall.

Woudn't that have the opposite effect? Seems to me that adding couple of
threads or less either pipe or spout would permit the correct positioning and
bring it closer to the wall. Places like Ace Hardware will have the needed 1/2"
NPT tap to do the job. HTH

Joe

Bryant

"Joe Bobst" wrote in message
Is there a 1/2 inch tap made to add another thread or two to the

spout
(there is room inside the spout to do this)?
that would make it futher off the wall.

Woudn't that have the opposite effect? Seems to me that adding couple of
threads or less either pipe or spout would permit the correct positioning

and
bring it closer to the wall. Places like Ace Hardware will have the needed

1/2"
NPT tap to do the job. HTH

Joe

the pipe sticking out of the wall is not threaded all the way.
the spout will only thread on to the end of the pipe thread.
I would think by adding more threads would not matter (not that I am a
plumber)

teflon tape wrapped around the threads would be the OP's best bet.
(having run into this problem in the past myself)

if there is a better solution ..............I am all ears or is that all
eyes?

andy

The spout is not threaded all the way to the end. There is about 1/8 of an
inch that isn't threaded and that is just what I need. The old one was
threaded all the way through the spout. There is more threads on the nipple
than on the spout. The spout bottoms out first before the nipple.

I have checked Ace; they don't have tapps big enough. Neither does Lowes or
Home Depot. It is Sunday so I have pretty much ran out of options for
today. I think I will go back to the plumbing supply place tomorrow to see
if they have one that is threaded all the way. Perhaps I bought a defective
spout.