andy

Default Installing New Tub Spout

I am trying to install a new tub spout but I can turn it only to where the
spout points at four o'clock rather than six o'clock. I have really torqued
it down with both hands and a wrench handle inside the spout to get it this
far. The stem is a 4-5 inch copper piece with a 1/2 inch nipple soldered on
it. I don't want to put anymore pressure on for fear of breaking the
copper/solder connection. If I can get it to its six o'clock position, the
back of the spout will be about 1/8 inch from the tile wall(within caulking
distance). Stopping it at six o'clock on the previous turn makes it too far
away from the wall in my opinion and it feels loose. Is there a 1/2 inch
tapp made to add another thread or two to the spout (there is room inside
the spout to do this)?

I could desolder the nipple and cut a small piece off the copper pipe and
resolder it back on but I don't have much experience with this. Would I
need some kind of heat sink so I don't desolder the joint behind the wall if
this is the recommended choice? The pipe does flex back into the wall when
I push on it but it just flexes right back in place when I let go. Can I
try to tap on this to permanently move it back into the wall a little or am
I asking for trouble? Thanks if anyone out there has knowledge on solving
this problem.