Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default mixer tap spout

On 15/11/2012 18:16, Mr Pounder wrote:
"stuart noble" wrote in message
On 15/11/2012 18:02, Roger Mills wrote:
On 15/11/2012 13:42, stuart noble wrote:
The spout on our kitchen mixer tap has always been a bit stiff so I
thought I'd take it off and have a look. Problem is, the grub screw at
the back is too close to the tiles to get any sort of screwdriver in
there. I had thought I could hold a bit in a pair of mole grips, but
even that's too long. The gap I have is around 23mm. An allen key with a
phillips/pozi head might fit, but is there such a thing? I'm sure
plumbers must have encountered this problem.
Cheers for any advice

I'm not quite sure from your post whether the screw has a socket for an
Allen key, or whether it's Pozi.

However - whichever it is - I assume that you've got a bit which fits
it? The bit is presumably hexagonal is section, to fit a normal driver?
Rather than use a Mole Wrench, why not rotate the bit with a suitably
sized ring spanner? If the bit is too long for the available space,
grind some off the non-working end.

Chicken and egg. I think it's a pozi but I can't tell for sure because the
bit's too long. Yes, it's angle grinder time.
I'm guessing the grub screw has no effect on how freely the spout moves,
and I'm now wondering whether there's anything I can do even if I take it
apart

Did you even read my post?

I did, but it's not an allen key. It's either pozi or philips. My allen
keys are shorter and there would be room for them if they had a pozi or
philips head. Did you even read mine?