MM

Default Mixer tap (kitchen sink): spout getting 'heavy' to swivel

My nearly new kitchen (almost brand new house) is fitted with a white
mixer tap on the sink. It has a central swan neck-type spout with hot
and cold taps either side of the body (180 degrees opposite each
other).

Over the last few days I have noticed that the spout is increasingly
difficult to swivel. However, it gets easier when I run the hot tap
for a minute or two. There is a threaded ferrule (a smooth white ring
on the outside, threaded inside where it screws over the boss) holding
the spout into the tap body. I unscrewed the ferrule and there appears
to be a kind of circlip that actually holds the spout in place. (The
ferrule merely covers up the clip.) However, the circlip, while having
a small gap in its circumference, is round in section and looks pretty
impossible to get out.

Is this in any way serviceable? Could I actually achieve anything by
removing the spout and possibly replacing a seal? The 'feel' you get
when you turn the spout is of a rubber seal that is 'dry'.

MM
Dave Baker

MM wrote in message
[...]

You should be able to firkle that type of circlip out with a watchmaker's
screwdriver or a small scriber. They are common enough in engines although
there's usually a small cutout in the housing where you can get a
screwdriver in behind them. A little vaseline on the seal might be all it
needs.
--
Dave Baker

Set Square

Dave Baker wrote:

MM wrote in message
[...]

You might even be able to lubricate the seal by dripping some washing-up
liquid onto the circlip, and moving the spout to and fro.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

MM

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 19:36:23 +0100, "Dave Baker"
wrote:

MM wrote in message
.. .
[...]

If I do manage to prise the circlip out, will the spout suddenly
spring out of the tap body? I don't know what to expect!

MM
MM

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 20:32:01 +0100, "Set Square"

Dave Baker wrote:

MM wrote in message
[...]

Yep. I'll give that a go first.

MM

Paul R

"MM" wrote in message
[...]

With my kitchen tap, similar problem. Alleviated - if not eliminated by:
a) removed the 'ferrule'
b) removed the 'spout' by pulling up - a REALLY GOOD pull (did not need the
removal of circlip)
c) cleaned out - including two rubber seals, which were then sprayed with
silicon spray (acquired from Screwfix).
d) push fit back the 'spout'
e) replace the 'ferrule'
Net: significant improvement in spout movement - but I have had to repeat
the exercise, but this gets easier with more confidence and probably because
it is more lubricated on each occasion I choose to pull the spout out.

Paul R

MM

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:07:56 +0100, "Paul R"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks, Paul.

When you pulled the spout free, did the circlip stay in its groove or
pop out?

When you replaced the spout, did you just shove it back in and did it
kind of 'click' into place? What happened with the circlip then?

MM

Replacing kitchen sink Alex Home Ownership 2 August 7th 05 01:19 PM
Feedback: new tap on kitchen sink [email protected] UK diy 0 May 18th 05 08:18 PM
Enamel Kitchen Sink pkmicro Home Repair 2 April 12th 05 03:29 PM
kitchen sink sizes Neil Catley UK diy 2 November 2nd 03 12:55 AM
Temp kitchen sink ( putting new granite countertop ) Dipu Home Repair 3 August 1st 03 01:46 AM