Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default mixer tap spout

On 15/11/2012 13:42, stuart noble wrote:
The spout on our kitchen mixer tap has always been a bit stiff so I
thought I'd take it off and have a look. Problem is, the grub screw at
the back is too close to the tiles to get any sort of screwdriver in
there. I had thought I could hold a bit in a pair of mole grips, but
even that's too long. The gap I have is around 23mm. An allen key with a
phillips/pozi head might fit, but is there such a thing? I'm sure
plumbers must have encountered this problem.
Cheers for any advice

I'm not quite sure from your post whether the screw has a socket for an
Allen key, or whether it's Pozi.

However - whichever it is - I assume that you've got a bit which fits
it? The bit is presumably hexagonal is section, to fit a normal driver?
Rather than use a Mole Wrench, why not rotate the bit with a suitably
sized ring spanner? If the bit is too long for the available space,
grind some off the non-working end.
--
Cheers,
Roger