Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacement battery?

I have an old Bosch cordless screwdriver, whose battery has died of old
age. Bosch can't/won't help, can anyone recommend someone who might be
able to help? Or should I just trash it?
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Davey writes:
I have an old Bosch cordless screwdriver, whose battery has died of old
age. Bosch can't/won't help, can anyone recommend someone who might be
able to help? Or should I just trash it?

Unless there's something special about it, it's unlikely to be
economic to have it repaired unless you can do it yourself and
write-off the time taken.

How old is it, and any idea what type of rechargable battery it
takes? I have replaced the NiCDs in my old B&D a couple of times,
but I really like it and they don't make them like that anymore.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Davey writes:
I have an old Bosch cordless screwdriver, whose battery has died of old
age. Bosch can't/won't help, can anyone recommend someone who might be
able to help? Or should I just trash it?

Unless there's something special about it, it's unlikely to be
economic to have it repaired unless you can do it yourself and
write-off the time taken.

How old is it, and any idea what type of rechargable battery it
takes? I have replaced the NiCDs in my old B&D a couple of times,
but I really like it and they don't make them like that anymore.

+1 replacing cells is fiddly time consuming and surprisingly expensive.
The battery is the major cost of a new drill. So unless it is a 'don't
make them like that anymore' just get a new one.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 19:27:23 +0100
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Davey writes:
I have an old Bosch cordless screwdriver, whose battery has died
of old age. Bosch can't/won't help, can anyone recommend someone
who might be able to help? Or should I just trash it?

Unless there's something special about it, it's unlikely to be
economic to have it repaired unless you can do it yourself and
write-off the time taken.

How old is it, and any idea what type of rechargable battery it
takes? I have replaced the NiCDs in my old B&D a couple of times,
but I really like it and they don't make them like that anymore.

+1 replacing cells is fiddly time consuming and surprisingly
expensive. The battery is the major cost of a new drill. So unless it
is a 'don't make them like that anymore' just get a new one.

It was a bequest, amongst lots of tools, from a friend who died, so
I don't have any attachment to it other than that. It will get recycled.
Thanks for the feedback.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 19:27:23 +0100
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Davey writes:
[...]

If its 12 volt send it to me. The chuck is broken on the old 12 volt
Ingersoll cordless that I converted to corded to run from a car battery.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 07:52:00 +0100
"Muddymike" wrote:

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 19:27:23 +0100
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Davey writes:
[...]

Sorry, 3.6v Model 0603927124. If you think the chuck might fit, I can
take a photo and send it to you.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 08:15:08 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Well, it can be very satisfying to open up a piece of kit to find a
bunch of normal ni cads inside the case and replace them with
something more modern and get it back for a few more years.
Brian

This is a pack, 3.6 volts, that looks as though a replacement could be
made up very easily, if only I knew where to go for such. In the US,
you just look for your local branch of Batteries-R-Us, and they make up
the pack as required, and even install and check it. I haven't found a
local branch here in East Anglia, though....
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Well, it can be very satisfying to open up a piece of kit to find a
bunch of normal ni cads inside the case and replace them with
something more modern and get it back for a few more years.

True - but this often costs more than a brand new complete tool.

--
*When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:
On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 08:15:08 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Well, it can be very satisfying to open up a piece of kit to find a
bunch of normal ni cads inside the case and replace them with
something more modern and get it back for a few more years.
Brian

This is a pack, 3.6 volts, that looks as though a replacement could be
made up very easily, if only I knew where to go for such. In the US,
you just look for your local branch of Batteries-R-Us, and they make up
the pack as required, and even install and check it. I haven't found a
local branch here in East Anglia, though....

very low volatge that..

Three nickel cells.

www.overlander.co.uk is an expensive way to buy cells: there are cheaper
ones.

BUT IIRC quality sub C sized Nicads (it will be nicad if its that old)
will be about 2-4 quid each.

Hmm. they seem to have almost entirely discontinued Nicads.

If the charger is designed for Nicad, it mau not be safe on NiMh..in
which case bin it as you wont be able to find Nicads easily at all.

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 07:52:00 +0100
"Muddymike" wrote:

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 19:27:23 +0100
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Davey writes:
[...]

Thanks for the offer but its highly unlikely to fit.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 18:03:58 +0100, Davey
wrote:

I have an old Bosch cordless screwdriver, whose battery has died of old
age. Bosch can't/won't help, can anyone recommend someone who might be
able to help? Or should I just trash it?

Leaving aside the commments about it being cheaper to buy a new tool,
try http://www.a1-battery.co.uk/POWER_TO...OSCH/index.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Leaving aside the commments about it being cheaper to buy a new tool,
try
http://www.a1-battery.co.uk/POWER_TO...OSCH/index.htm

Standard disclaimers about Chinese batteries apply:

$ whois a1-battery.co.uk

Domain name:
a1-battery.co.uk

Registrant:
3339.com - Golden Spider Network Co., Ltd.

Trading as:
PowerSmart Energy Limited

Registrant type:
Non-UK Corporation

Registrant's address:
Unit B, 8/F, Eastern Flower Centre
22-24 Cameron Road, TST
TST
Hong Kong
00000
Hong Kong

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05 Apr 2012 18:50:44 +0100 (BST), Theo Markettos
wrote:

Leaving aside the commments about it being cheaper to buy a new tool,
try http://www.a1-battery.co.uk/POWER_TO...OSCH/index.htm

Standard disclaimers about Chinese batteries apply:

shrug

I didn't seriously expect they'd be made anywhere else, nowadays.

I've had several batteries from them over the past few years and
they're all still going strong. From what I can gather, the
operational unit is staffed and run by Brits (maybe Chinese Brits
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 08:15:08 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Well, it can be very satisfying to open up a piece of kit to find a
bunch of normal ni cads inside the case and replace them with
something more modern and get it back for a few more years.
Brian

This is a pack, 3.6 volts, that looks as though a replacement could be
made up very easily, if only I knew where to go for such. In the US,
you just look for your local branch of Batteries-R-Us, and they make up
the pack as required, and even install and check it. I haven't found a
local branch here in East Anglia, though....

http://www.multicell.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 11:13:24 +0100, Davey wrote:

On Fri, 6 Apr 2012 08:05:45 +0100
(A.Lee) wrote:

Davey wrote:

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 08:15:08 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Well, it can be very satisfying to open up a piece of kit to find a
bunch of normal ni cads inside the case and replace them with
something more modern and get it back for a few more years.
Brian

This is a pack, 3.6 volts, that looks as though a replacement could be
made up very easily, if only I knew where to go for such. In the US,
you just look for your local branch of Batteries-R-Us, and they make
up the pack as required, and even install and check it. I haven't
found a local branch here in East Anglia, though....

http://www.multicell.co.uk/

That looks helpful, and even if not for this job, worth keeping. Thanks
indeed.

I just purchased a half-dozen batteries for several cordless and cell
phones from the following company:

http://www.emtcompany.com

They arrived in a couple of days and are working as expected.

Far less expensive than Batteries-R-Us, and their like.

Shipping is free.

--
John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John F. Morse wrote:
I just purchased a half-dozen batteries for several cordless and cell
phones from the following company:

http://www.emtcompany.com

They arrived in a couple of days and are working as expected.

Far less expensive than Batteries-R-Us, and their like.

Shipping is free.

But they don't appear to do power tool batteries or replacement cells for
same.

--
*Avoid clichés like the plague. (They're old hat.) *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 15:57:26 -0500
"John F. Morse" wrote:

On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 11:13:24 +0100, Davey wrote:

On Fri, 6 Apr 2012 08:05:45 +0100
(A.Lee) wrote:

Davey wrote:

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 08:15:08 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

[...]

But you live in Kansas. This is a uk. newsgroup!
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 23:17:23 +0100
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
John F. Morse wrote:
I just purchased a half-dozen batteries for several cordless and
cell phones from the following company:

http://www.emtcompany.com

They arrived in a couple of days and are working as expected.

Far less expensive than Batteries-R-Us, and their like.

Shipping is free.

But they don't appear to do power tool batteries or replacement cells
for same.

And for Bosch, they list about 12 batteries, all but three of which are
out of stock.
Fail, John. Nice try, though.
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John F. Morse" wrote:

On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 11:13:24 +0100, Davey wrote:
I just purchased a half-dozen batteries for several cordless and cell
phones from the following company:

http://www.emtcompany.com

They arrived in a couple of days and are working as expected.

Far less expensive than Batteries-R-Us, and their like.

Shipping is free.

But you live in Kansas. This is a uk. newsgroup!

Oh! You're right.

I'll mosey on out. ;-)

--
John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John F. Morse" wrote:

On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 11:13:24 +0100, Davey wrote:
I just purchased a half-dozen batteries for several cordless and
cell phones from the following company:

http://www.emtcompany.com

They arrived in a couple of days and are working as expected.

Far less expensive than Batteries-R-Us, and their like.

Shipping is free.

But you live in Kansas. This is a uk. newsgroup!

Oh! You're right.

I'll mosey on out. ;-)

See you back over The Lost Horizons, John!
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Davey wrote:
But you live in Kansas. This is a uk. newsgroup!

It has quite a few non UK readers, so that doesn't matter. But I do wish
people would use a sig. which says where they are. Even UK ones, when
asking where to buy something.

--
*Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 10:27:25 +0100
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Davey wrote:
But you live in Kansas. This is a uk. newsgroup!

It has quite a few non UK readers, so that doesn't matter. But I do
wish people would use a sig. which says where they are. Even UK ones,
when asking where to buy something.

I know this fella, he hosts my newsreading, so I have no problem with
his dropping by. He was probably just surfing his hosted newsgroups.
But I agree with your thinking, I see requests for suggestions for
things or places, and it makes a difference where the poster is. That
said, I use just one sig., which for most purposes does fine without
adding any locality information.
Maybe say that it would help if people were more inclined to
indicate their location when it matters?
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:

"Dave Plowman wrote:

wrote:

But you live in Kansas. This is a uk. newsgroup!

It has quite a few non UK readers

I know this fella, he hosts my newsreading, so I have no problem with
his dropping by.

I don't think *anyone* has a problem with non-UK folks dropping by,
other than the odd bit of confusion when it turns out that local
differences *do* matter, even then it can be interesting to learn the
differences.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2012 09:05, John F. Morse wrote:
Oh! You're right.

I'll mosey on out.;-)

Tools work the same whether you're chasing a cow in Kansas, or fixing a
tram in NZ. It's only _shopping_ where it gets difficult. And the odd
spelling.

Now, what colo(u)r is that brick road?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

I don't think *anyone* has a problem with non-UK folks dropping by,

Especially those from the USA, the great nation that has saved the world
from despots and dictators so many times in the last hundred years.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

I don't think *anyone* has a problem with non-UK folks dropping by,

Especially those from the USA, the great nation that has saved the world
from despots and dictators so many times in the last hundred years.

Thought Regan and Thatcher were bosom buddies?

--
*Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 12:27:42 +0100 Davey wrote:

On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 10:27:25 +0100
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Davey wrote:
But you live in Kansas. This is a uk. newsgroup!

It has quite a few non UK readers, so that doesn't matter. But I do wish
people would use a sig. which says where they are. Even UK ones, when
asking where to buy something.

I know this fella, he hosts my newsreading, so I have no problem with his
dropping by. He was probably just surfing his hosted newsgroups. But I
agree with your thinking, I see requests for suggestions for things or
places, and it makes a difference where the poster is. That said, I use
just one sig., which for most purposes does fine without adding any
locality information.
Maybe say that it would help if people were more inclined to indicate
their location when it matters?

Well, I certainly knew where you are. ;-)

As Davey stated, he knows where I am, but for Dave's information,
I'm located in Overland Park, Kansas, USA. A suburb of Kansas City
(Missouri, the larger, and Kansas, the smaller).

Overland Park is the second largest city in Kansas, following Wichita.

http://g.co/maps/9zsmu

I do occasionally read parts of this group as I find time to scan the
Subjects for interesting items. The users seem to be polite, and quite
knowledgeable. Just the opposite from what I find in the a.o.l.u group.

I am curious though, just how much does it cost someone in the UK to order
from a company in the US? Is there just postage (shipping), or does one or
both countries charge some export/import "tax" on the goods?

--
John

When a person has -- whether they knew it or not -- already
rejected the Truth, by what means do they discern a lie?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 16:09:24 +0100 Bill Wright wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I don't think *anyone* has a problem with non-UK folks dropping by,

Especially those from the USA, the great nation that has saved the world
from despots and dictators so many times in the last hundred years.

Bill

But who will save us from ourselves?

--
John

When a person has -- whether they knew it or not -- already
rejected the Truth, by what means do they discern a lie?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John F. Morse wrote:

I am curious though, just how much does it cost someone in the UK to order
from a company in the US? Is there just postage (shipping), or does one or
both countries charge some export/import "tax" on the goods?

We have to pay VAT (20%) on all imports plus duty depending on what the
item is classed as, sometimes you get away with it on small items (and
then ought to pay voluntarily).

But the real killer for a lot of American companies is shipping, it's
not uncommon to see $50 or $75 international shipping even on cheap
items, not always of course.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote
John F. Morse wrote

I am curious though, just how much does it cost someone in the UK to
order from a company in the US? Is there just postage (shipping), or
does one or both countries charge some export/import "tax" on the goods?

We have to pay VAT (20%) on all imports plus duty depending on what
the item is classed as, sometimes you get away with it on small items
(and then ought to pay voluntarily).

But the real killer for a lot of American companies is shipping, it's not uncommon to see $50 or $75 international
shipping even on cheap items,

Thats because they use a courier service rather than their postal service.

Their postal service is much cheaper than that, but many dont use it at all.

not always of course.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John F. Morse wrote:
On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 12:27:42 +0100 Davey wrote:

On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 10:27:25 +0100
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Davey wrote:
[...]

I spent nearly $80 in courier shipping VAT and taxes on $100 of parts.

Stuff from china comes in parcel post for a fiver. Go figure.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John F. Morse wrote:
On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 12:27:42 +0100 Davey wrote:

On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 10:27:25 +0100
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Davey wrote:
[...]

Most of the stuff I get from china is post free now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
But the real killer for a lot of American companies is shipping, it's
not uncommon to see $50 or $75 international shipping even on cheap
items, not always of course.

Indeed - and I've oft wondered why. These days I get things sent to a
friend in the US and she posts them on at normal prices. Not had any
problems - so far.

--
*Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Andy Burns wrote

But the real killer for a lot of American companies is shipping,
it's not uncommon to see $50 or $75 international shipping
even on cheap items, not always of course.

Indeed - and I've oft wondered why.

Its because they dont use their postal service for anything.

Those are the minimum international courier parcel services.

These days I get things sent to a friend in the US and she posts
them on at normal prices. Not had any problems - so far.

That works pretty well, and often the delivery to a US address is free too.

But there is a significant jump in the international postal charge at 1 lb from
memory which means its not economic to buy one of those glass bathroom
scales that way, they are a bit over that 1 lb and so the postage is unviable.

That would apply to the heavier tools too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Especially those from the USA, the great nation that has saved the world
from despots and dictators so many times in the last hundred years.

Bill, your tongue is showing.