Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem.electrochem.battery,sci.electronics.repair

Default Opened laptop battery to replace lithium ion cells (Lenovo X61tablet PC) -- Where do I get replacement battery cells?

Have you ever opened up your laptop battery to replace the lithium ion
cells inside (if so, I could use the help as I'm stuck).

Here are the pictures of the operation on a Lenovo X61 tablet PC 8-cell
4500 amp-hour battery kidney-transplant operation.

The outside of the IBM Lenovo X61 tablet PC battery pack has the part
numbers:
- FRU 42T4507
- ASM 42T5209

And the batteries themselves, seem to have numbers on them of:
- cylinders BCM 3A6 72653
- rectangles C 3 171353

Any idea where to obtain these lithium ion replacement batteries?
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem.electrochem.battery,sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 00:32:57 +0000, JoeSchmoe wrote:
The outside of the IBM Lenovo X61 tablet PC battery pack has the part
numbers: FRU 42T4507, ASM 42T5209

And the batteries themselves, seem to have numbers on them of: -
cylinders BCM 3A6 72653, rectangles C 3 171353

Any idea where to obtain these lithium ion replacement batteries?

Here is a pictorial tutorial, of sorts, for the first half of the Lenovo
X61 tablet PC laptop battery replacement.
0. Short: http://yfrog.com/4ylenovox61tlaptopbatteryjx
1. Direct: http://img178.imageshack.us/g/lenovo...opbattery.jpg/
(the closing slash is required!)
2. Player: http://img178.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?
id=lenovox61tlaptopbattery.jpg

That tutorial has 18 pictures showing all the steps in breaking open the
dead Lenovo laptop battery pack seamlessly and easily.

The problem now is finding the batteries from the numbers on the
batteries and soldering them back in w/o destroying them.

Any advice/help if you've done this before, is much appreciated!

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem.electrochem.battery,sci.electronics.repair

"JoeSchmoe" wrote in message
Have you ever opened up your laptop battery to replace the lithium ion
cells inside (if so, I could use the help as I'm stuck).

Here are the pictures of the operation on a Lenovo X61 tablet PC 8-cell
4500 amp-hour battery kidney-transplant operation.

The outside of the IBM Lenovo X61 tablet PC battery pack has the part
numbers:
- FRU 42T4507
- ASM 42T5209

And the batteries themselves, seem to have numbers on them of:
- cylinders BCM 3A6 72653
- rectangles C 3 171353

Any idea where to obtain these lithium ion replacement batteries?

I just bought 2 lap top batteries, one for Dell and one for HP. Found them
at Mobile Track Power. Good warranty and good prices. Why mess with what
you have? WW

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem.electrochem.battery,sci.electronics.repair

On Sep 16, 7:38*pm, JoeSchmoe wrote:
[...]

I think its a waste of time and risky, those are machine welded, you
will never get them as compact and fit back in place like machine made
packs, soldering and the heat degrades cells, you probably have
electronics in those packs which actualy may be bad , not the
batteries, did you test the voltage of each cell to see if they realy
dont charge , you might buy and solder them up and they will never fit
back in the holder.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem.electrochem.battery,sci.electronics.repair

"JoeSchmoe" wrote in message
Have you ever opened up your laptop battery to replace the lithium ion
cells inside (if so, I could use the help as I'm stuck).

Here are the pictures of the operation on a Lenovo X61 tablet PC 8-cell
4500 amp-hour battery kidney-transplant operation.

The outside of the IBM Lenovo X61 tablet PC battery pack has the part
numbers:
- FRU 42T4507
- ASM 42T5209

And the batteries themselves, seem to have numbers on them of:
- cylinders BCM 3A6 72653
- rectangles C 3 171353

Any idea where to obtain these lithium ion replacement batteries?

Right off I am not familar with your bateries, although my guess(tm) is that
you can find them on ebay or google if you search for lithium ion cells.
Some come with tabs welded to them so you can solder them togeather eaisly
and avoid destroying the battery via heat. If they are the right size and
right chemestry they should work. The mAh rating will probably be higher on
new batteries than the originals becuase of advancements in battery
technology.

Just be careful and dont get these things too hot while soldering. They have
been known to burst into flames like a flare. I highly suggest you buy the
tabbed verison.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem.electrochem.battery,sci.electronics.repair

JoeSchmoe wrote:
Have you ever opened up your laptop battery to replace the lithium ion
cells inside (if so, I could use the help as I'm stuck).

Here are the pictures of the operation on a Lenovo X61 tablet PC 8-cell
4500 amp-hour battery kidney-transplant operation.

The outside of the IBM Lenovo X61 tablet PC battery pack has the part
numbers:
- FRU 42T4507
- ASM 42T5209

And the batteries themselves, seem to have numbers on them of:
- cylinders BCM 3A6 72653
- rectangles C 3 171353

Any idea where to obtain these lithium ion replacement batteries?

I fix about everything I can but not laptop batteries. Those have an
internal circuit that keep the batteries from over charging and
everything matches up with the computer BIOS to charge and extend
battery life. What I do is search the web and buy a replacement battery
with a decent warranty. I doubt you can even buy the new cells for what
the entire new battery costs.
Worst case of do it yourself repair would be a fire some day when
it's charging or being used.
Here's one on e-bay for 42 bucks says it has a 3 year warranty and the
dude is a power seller with a decent track record. Free shipping
http://cgi.ebay.com/Battery-IBM-Leno...em35abb11b e3

and a laptop fire,
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/139145...tc hed_video/
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem.electrochem.battery,sci.electronics.repair

"FatterDumber& Happier Moe" wrote in
message ...
JoeSchmoe wrote:
[...]

To be quite honest I would be more afraid of cheap chinese batteries than
building on myself. Have you ever taken one of those chinese made
aftermarket batteries apart? It is scary to say the least in some of them
and amazing that it works. At least if you build it yourself you know if you
put good panasonic cells in it that shouldnt spontaneously combust. But if
you arent expirenced at soldering and electronics, I cant say I reccomend
you try this as a first soldering project.. As stated by "Mr.Fatter" they
can catch on fire if not properly taken care of.. The biggest issue is when
soldering is not to heat the battery. Get ones with tabs attached to them.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem.electrochem.battery,sci.electronics.repair

On Sep 16, 11:40*pm, "Michael Kennedy" mike@com wrote:
"JoeSchmoe" wrote in message

[...]

Mike- Hide quoted text -

Ive made packs with tabs and the batteries were real hot when
soldering, the tab transfers heat and soldering is tricky. Mine were a
mess and would never fit back into a plastic case, freezing the cell
first in your deep freeze will help but I think he will fail for
several reasons.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem.electrochem.battery,sci.electronics.repair

"JoeSchmoe" wrote in message

[...]

several reasons.- Hide quoted text -

I just rebuilt a Nicad battery pack for my 20+ year old Milwaukee
cordless driver drill. I found the batteries on Ebay for $21, so
decided it was worth a try. I was successful and it's working
great. But I do agree there are some real issues. In particular, I
was very lucky that I got it to fit back into the battery housing.
In the factory, the metal tab conductors are spot welded directly to
the batteries and go from one to the next. When you DIY, you have to
solder them and then when you stack batteries on top of each other the
overall height increases. I got lucky because there was a rubber
cushion on the bottom which I removed to give me just a little more
room. Having been through it once, next time I could plan better to
possibly change the wire routing to avoid any solder bump issues.

It was also a bit tricky because the batteries had some charge in
them, so I had to be careful of what I was doing and not short them
out and have a meltdown.

In the case of a laptop battery pack I'd carefully weigh the cost of
trying and failing vs the cost of a new battery pack. Also, I found
places that will rebuild your battery pack for you for the cordless
drills. Similar may exist for the notebook battery. However, the
pricing for the rebuild was so close to the price of a new battery
pack that I would have gone with the new one.

I have an older Gateway notebook and after having bought one
replacement battery for it, I finally gave up. I realized that 99%
of the time, the way I'm using it, I have power available. I may take
it on a trip, but I don't use it on the plane, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem.electrochem.battery,sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 16:10:23 +0900, Michael Kennedy wrote:
The biggest issue is when soldering is not to heat the battery.
Get ones with tabs attached to them.

Once I find the cells, I'll definitely get the ones with soldered tabs as
I'm OK (but just OK) with soldering.

I found this web site "How to rebuild a Li-Ion battery pack", implemented
for Fujitsu - Siemens Lifebook S- Series FPCBP25 battery pack at
Electronics-Lab.com.

They found Panasonic lithium-ion replacement cells at
http://www.AllElectronics.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 19:46:39 -0600, WW wrote:
Here are the pictures of the operation on a Lenovo X61 tablet PC 8-cell
4500 amp-hour battery kidney-transplant operation.
http://yfrog.com/4ylenovox61tlaptopbatteryjx

The outside of the IBM Lenovo X61 tablet PC battery pack has the part
numbers:
- FRU 42T4507
- ASM 42T5209

And the batteries themselves, seem to have numbers on them of: -
cylinders BCM 3A6 72653
- rectangles C 3 171353

Any idea where to obtain these lithium ion replacement batteries?

I just bought 2 lap top batteries, one for Dell and one for HP. Found
them at Mobile Track Power. Good warranty and good prices. Why mess
with what you have? WW

The question of why is a good one ... the answer is it's sheer cost!

The factory new battery is on the web for about $150.
I'm worried about the knockoffs which cost around $50 to $75.

BTW, I found some more references of successful rebuild DIYs which I'm
going through now as my biggest problem at the moment is finding the
replacement cells (later it will be fitting it all back together).

- HOW-TO: Rebuild your laptop battery by Engadget
http://www.engadget.com/2005/06/28/h...aptop-battery/

- Rebuilding a Laptop Battery Oct 05, 2008 by Phil Hughes
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...laptop-battery

- Refilling laptop batteries! February 17th, 2007 in Projects, Technology
http://www.summet.com/blog/2007/02/1...attery-refill/

- Can laptop batteries be repaired? by Isidor Buchmann Cadex Electronics,
December 2001
http://www.buchmann.ca/article21-page1.asp

- DIY Laptop Battery Rebuild: by Kevin O'Brien, NotebookReview.com on
1/30/2008
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4224
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 19:44:32 +0000 (UTC), Joe Schmoe wrote:

BTW, I found some more references of successful rebuild DIYs which I'm
going through now as my biggest problem at the moment is finding the
replacement cells (later it will be fitting it all back together).

- HOW-TO: Rebuild your laptop battery by Engadget
http://www.engadget.com/2005/06/28/h...aptop-battery/

- Rebuilding a Laptop Battery Oct 05, 2008 by Phil Hughes
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...laptop-battery

- Refilling laptop batteries! February 17th, 2007 in Projects, Technology
http://www.summet.com/blog/2007/02/1...attery-refill/

- Can laptop batteries be repaired? by Isidor Buchmann Cadex Electronics,
December 2001
http://www.buchmann.ca/article21-page1.asp

- DIY Laptop Battery Rebuild: by Kevin O'Brien, NotebookReview.com on
1/30/2008
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4224

Thanks for those references!

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem.electrochem.battery,sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 16:08:13 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I thought batteries used in these packs had to be matched to avoid problems
with reverse charging etc that might cause them to explode.

Matched - No. Assuming you install them with the correct polarity and
the protection module is functioning correctly, the explosion risks
are from another category. There is also a connection sequence for
attaching the module to the series-connected cells. IIRC it starts at
the most positive terminal and progresses to the negative end last.

But matching IS important in that the protection module monitors cell
voltage DIFFERENCES. This has a two-fold effect. If the diffences
exceed a certain threshold value, the pack will be disabled by the
module. Below that threshold value, end-of-charge voltage will be
determined by the highest cell voltage (which leaves the others less
than fully charged) while end-of-discharge is conversely determined by
the lowest cell voltage. So as the differential increases the usable
capacity reduces in the interests of safety.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem.electrochem.battery,sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 22:52:38 -0700, isw wrote:
Google around and you can find references to building a simple
spot-welder for batteries -- check the RC model airplane folks.

Hi Isaac,

Welding the tabs without destroying the battery the biggest gotcha so
this home made battery tab spot welder DIY idea is great!

The Poor Man's Battery Tab Welder
http://www.philpem.me.uk/elec/welder/
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763308

Build your own CD battery tab welder for $100
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=179937

DIY Capacitive Discharge Spot Welder, AKA Battery pack maker
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/MrWestie/7032

How to hack a dead laptop battery
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-ha...attery-250860/

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem.electrochem.battery,sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 16:08:13 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:
I thought batteries used in these packs had to be matched to avoid
problems with reverse charging etc that might cause them to explode.

Hi Brian,

What do you mean by "matched"?

Note: All the existing electronic circuitry for the Lenovo x61 tablet
laptop lithium Ion battery is intact.

The only thing we're changing out is old cells for new cells.

What do you mean by "matching"?

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Joe Schmoe wrote in
:

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 16:08:13 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:
I thought batteries used in these packs had to be matched to avoid
problems with reverse charging etc that might cause them to explode.

Hi Brian,

What do you mean by "matched"?

Note: All the existing electronic circuitry for the Lenovo x61 tablet
laptop lithium Ion battery is intact.

The only thing we're changing out is old cells for new cells.

What do you mean by "matching"?

the charge levels and voltage at full charge have to be close to equal.
If one cell is at a lower charge level,it will run out first,then REVERSE
charge,damaging that cell.Possibly shorting,exploding,or starting a fire.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 11:59:41 -0500, Jim Yanik
wrote:

Joe Schmoe wrote in
:

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 16:08:13 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:
I thought batteries used in these packs had to be matched to avoid
problems with reverse charging etc that might cause them to explode.

Hi Brian,

What do you mean by "matched"?

Note: All the existing electronic circuitry for the Lenovo x61 tablet
laptop lithium Ion battery is intact.

The only thing we're changing out is old cells for new cells.

What do you mean by "matching"?

the charge levels and voltage at full charge have to be close to equal.
If one cell is at a lower charge level,it will run out first,then REVERSE
charge,damaging that cell.Possibly shorting,exploding,or starting a fire.

No, that would only apply to packs without a protection module (such
as NiXX chemistries). LiXX protection modules will intervene and
open-circuit the pack when the lowest cell voltage reaches a
predetermined threshold - usually 3v0.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem.electrochem.battery,sci.electronics.repair

I give up, what or where is "Mobile Track Power"