Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacement battery?

John F. Morse wrote:
On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 12:27:42 +0100 Davey wrote:

On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 10:27:25 +0100
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Davey wrote:
But you live in Kansas. This is a uk. newsgroup!
It has quite a few non UK readers, so that doesn't matter. But I do wish
people would use a sig. which says where they are. Even UK ones, when
asking where to buy something.

I know this fella, he hosts my newsreading, so I have no problem with his
dropping by. He was probably just surfing his hosted newsgroups. But I
agree with your thinking, I see requests for suggestions for things or
places, and it makes a difference where the poster is. That said, I use
just one sig., which for most purposes does fine without adding any
locality information.
Maybe say that it would help if people were more inclined to indicate
their location when it matters?

Well, I certainly knew where you are. ;-)

As Davey stated, he knows where I am, but for Dave's information,
I'm located in Overland Park, Kansas, USA. A suburb of Kansas City
(Missouri, the larger, and Kansas, the smaller).

Overland Park is the second largest city in Kansas, following Wichita.

http://g.co/maps/9zsmu

I do occasionally read parts of this group as I find time to scan the
Subjects for interesting items. The users seem to be polite, and quite
knowledgeable. Just the opposite from what I find in the a.o.l.u group.

I am curious though, just how much does it cost someone in the UK to order
from a company in the US? Is there just postage (shipping), or does one or
both countries charge some export/import "tax" on the goods?

I spent nearly $80 in courier shipping VAT and taxes on $100 of parts.

Stuff from china comes in parcel post for a fiver. Go figure.

and how hard it is to achieve it.