Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

Default Joining motorways

Driving in lane 1 of a motorway at a steady speed with large gaps in front
and behind me, I find it difficult to understand why some drivers
approaching the motorway on a slip road draw level with me instead of
accelerating or decelerating slightly to pull into the gaps. Several times
recently I have had to take evasive action when another driver tries to join
in this manner.

Are there any others out there who use this bizarre technique for joining a
motorway? I don't remember it being taught when I was learning to drive!

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

Ronald Tompkins wrote:
Driving in lane 1 of a motorway at a steady speed with large gaps in front
and behind me, I find it difficult to understand why some drivers
approaching the motorway on a slip road draw level with me instead of
accelerating or decelerating slightly to pull into the gaps. Several times
recently I have had to take evasive action when another driver tries to join
in this manner.

Are there any others out there who use this bizarre technique for joining a
motorway? I don't remember it being taught when I was learning to drive!

It's called the 'I haven't a clue how to drive, so I just let everybody
else stay clear of me' technique...
Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

On Feb 17, 7:26*pm, Ronald Tompkins wrote:
Driving in lane 1 of a motorway at a steady speed with large gaps in front
and behind me, I find it difficult to understand why some drivers
approaching the motorway on a slip road draw level with me instead of
accelerating or decelerating slightly to pull into the gaps. *Several times
recently I have had to take evasive action when another driver tries to join
in this manner.

Are there any others out there who use this bizarre technique for joining a
motorway? *I don't remember it being taught when I was learning to drive!

Have you thought about posting on http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/
the biggest motoring forum in the UK and you will get much more
feedback than you do here.
Far be it from me to want to you to go but your post do seem a little
OT if you don't mind me saying.
Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

On Feb 17, 7:26*pm, Ronald Tompkins wrote:
Driving in lane 1 of a motorway at a steady speed with large gaps in front
and behind me, I find it difficult to understand why some drivers
approaching the motorway on a slip road draw level with me instead of
accelerating or decelerating slightly to pull into the gaps. *Several times
recently I have had to take evasive action when another driver tries to join
in this manner.

Are there any others out there who use this bizarre technique for joining a
motorway? *I don't remember it being taught when I was learning to drive!

Don't take any evasive action. Maintain your speed. The HC states that
drivers joining the main carriageway must adjust their speed to that
of the traffic already on the road.

Don't worry.

McK.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Ronald Tompkins wrote:
Driving in lane 1 of a motorway at a steady speed with large gaps in
front and behind me, I find it difficult to understand why some
drivers approaching the motorway on a slip road draw level with me
instead of accelerating or decelerating slightly to pull into the
gaps. Several times recently I have had to take evasive action when
another driver tries to join in this manner.

Are there any others out there who use this bizarre technique for
joining a motorway? I don't remember it being taught when I was
learning to drive!

It's called the 'I haven't a clue how to drive, so I just let everybody
else stay clear of me' technique...

It dunnarf scare 'em when the lorry or coach they try to force out of
the way stays in lane 1, because there's traffic in lane 2 that they
can't see. I had one white van try it a while ago on the M20. He drove
about half a mile along the hard shoulder and didn't half give me a
dirty look (And a rude hand signal, which isn't in the highway code)
when he accelerated after he finally realised I wasn't going to pull out
because there was another coach that was trying to overtake me.

Comments were made by my passengers concerning his driving ability.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

pullgees wrote:
On Feb 17, 7:26 pm, Ronald Tompkins wrote:
Driving in lane 1 of a motorway at a steady speed with large gaps
in front and behind me, I find it difficult to understand why some
drivers approaching the motorway on a slip road draw level with me
instead of accelerating or decelerating slightly to pull into the
gaps. Several times recently I have had to take evasive action when
another driver tries to join in this manner.

Are there any others out there who use this bizarre technique for
joining a motorway? I don't remember it being taught when I was
learning to drive!

Have you thought about posting on http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/
the biggest motoring forum in the UK and you will get much more
feedback than you do here.
Far be it from me to want to you to go but your post do seem a little
OT if you don't mind me saying.

The post is meant to be OT.

It is posted by a pillock who knows what they are doing when they post.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers
bod bod is offline

On 17/02/2012 19:45, ARWadsworth wrote:
pullgees wrote:
On Feb 17, 7:26 pm, Ronald wrote:
[...]

He keeps posting in other peoples real names. He's a wave short of a
shipwreck.

--
Bod
Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

In message
, at
11:34:50 on Fri, 17 Feb 2012, McKevvy
remarked:
Driving in lane 1 of a motorway at a steady speed with large gaps in front
and behind me, I find it difficult to understand why some drivers
approaching the motorway on a slip road draw level with me instead of
accelerating or decelerating slightly to pull into the gaps. *Several times
recently I have had to take evasive action when another driver tries to join
in this manner.

Are there any others out there who use this bizarre technique for joining a
motorway? *I don't remember it being taught when I was learning to drive!

Don't take any evasive action. Maintain your speed. The HC states that
drivers joining the main carriageway must adjust their speed to that
of the traffic already on the road.

Unfortunately, sometimes they don't. Only yesterday I had to take
significant evasive action when a lorry I was alongside and slowly
overtaking on a 3-lane motorway put on its right indicators and
simultaneously drifted several feet into "my" lane.

The thing about joining motorways is that in theory the traffic on the
inside lane of the motorway should already have big enough gaps between,
so that you can "aim for" one of the gaps and join that flow (albeit
instantaneously destroying the gap between two of them. But often these
days the vehicles are too close together to even do that.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

On Feb 17, 7:26*pm, Ronald Tompkins wrote:
Are there any others out there who use this bizarre technique for joining a
motorway? *I don't remember it being taught when I was learning to drive!

Rule is you adjust your speed to the traffic. Same when leaving the
hard shoulder (and miserably forgotten by some!).

The practical rule is you generally floor it down the "on-ramp" until
going slightly quicker than the traffic, then after locating a place
merge in and lift off / brake to bring your speed & separation into
line. It is easier to brake than accelerate. This is ruddy funny when
it is an off camber corner on-ramp, black ice and a pillock promptly
swaps ends of course but Darwin has to be allowed to work at some
point if only for entertainment value.

If the traffic is crawling you are left with an interesting dilemma,
pull in early whilst a jag 1mm from your rear end in fury hurls itself
past for that important 30ft and is promptly ignored by *everyone* so
takes to hurling the car into a gap in the line of traffic. Whereupon
the lorry overtakes him and promptly blocks him whilst the jag
indicator flashes forlornly, forgotten and intentionally ignored. The
jag is usually driven a Business Development Manager, or open prison
thief as they are more commonly referred to by any small business with
a clue.

Likewise you can not control your distance from the vehicle behind,
but you can compensate for tailgaters by controlling the distance you
are from the vehicle in front. This greatly reduces the risk of rear
ending in general, you have to assume the other driver is a moron and
compensate accordingly because with somewhat alarming regularity they
are.

UK has become a push-in society with company cars invariably used
literally as battering rams, even going around to competitors and
ramming their company cars. Oracle & Citrix to name two very famous
for it. Temp names being written down on the insurance claim forms...
of course.

Used to be they started at lane 1 and pointed diagonally to lane 3...
launching over every bounce... Citreon's micro car usually, in blue,
with the engine just about redlining in top gear :-)
Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

In article , Ronald Tompkins
wrote:
Driving in lane 1 of a motorway at a steady speed with large gaps in
front and behind me, I find it difficult to understand why some drivers
approaching the motorway on a slip road draw level with me instead of
accelerating or decelerating slightly to pull into the gaps. Several
times recently I have had to take evasive action when another driver
tries to join in this manner.

Are there any others out there who use this bizarre technique for joining
a motorway? I don't remember it being taught when I was learning to
drive!

when I leaned to drive, there were only 2 motorways and the nearest was
nearly 200 miles away.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

Ronald Tompkins wrote:
Driving in lane 1 of a motorway at a steady speed with large gaps in
front and behind me, I find it difficult to understand why some
drivers approaching the motorway on a slip road draw level with me
instead of accelerating or decelerating slightly to pull into the
gaps. Several times recently I have had to take evasive action when
another driver tries to join in this manner.

Are there any others out there who use this bizarre technique for
joining a motorway? I don't remember it being taught when I was
learning to drive!

Being a 'silver surfer' I find it difficult to understand your method of
driving.

I simply get into the middle lane well before I approach the On-slip-road to
avoid that sort of situation [1] [2] - after all, these are well sign posted
before you even get close to the slip-roads, but of course, some drivers are
damned inconsiderate for wanting to join the motorway at these points -
aren't they?

If I can't do that due to the traffic (very, very rare), I simply take my
foot off the accelerator and let the other car in.

[1] Or the outside lane on a two-lane motorway.

[2] I also do the same on dual carriageways/

Apologies for the sarcasm, but I thought that it was standard practice to
'read the road ahead' so that such situations can be avoided on what after
all is a straight piece of road at that point.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

On Feb 17, 8:45*pm, "Cash"
wrote:
If I can't do that due to the traffic (very, very rare), I simply take my
foot off the accelerator and let the other car in.

Letting off the accelerator too much tends to cause a lot of bunching
of traffic behind, forcing lorries to overtake into lane 2, which
blocks the motorway merging capacity to that of lane 1. Moving into
lane 2 in advance (usually pretty obvious re indeed well marked
junction points) helps reduce this problem although it pushes lane 2
traffic into lane 3 if lorries start joining in. Lane 3 of course then
jams on the brakes at the speed differential infraction :-)

A way around that is to have a very long merging lane so there is
smoother integration of traffic. Never been on an autobahn, but I have
a sneaking suspicion they might do that.
Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 19:26:31 +0000 (UTC), Ronald Tompkins
wrote:

Driving in lane 1 of a motorway

Feck off you trolling ****.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

js.b1 wrote:
On Feb 17, 8:45 pm, "Cash"
wrote:
If I can't do that due to the traffic (very, very rare), I simply
take my foot off the accelerator and let the other car in.

Letting off the accelerator too much tends to cause a lot of bunching
of traffic behind, forcing lorries to overtake into lane 2, which
blocks the motorway merging capacity to that of lane 1. Moving into
lane 2 in advance (usually pretty obvious re indeed well marked
junction points) helps reduce this problem although it pushes lane 2
traffic into lane 3 if lorries start joining in. Lane 3 of course then
jams on the brakes at the speed differential infraction :-)

A way around that is to have a very long merging lane so there is
smoother integration of traffic. Never been on an autobahn, but I have
a sneaking suspicion they might do that.

No, the cause of 'bunching' is drivers driving too close to the arse of the
vehicle in front and *NOT* by taking ones foot of the accelerator [1] - a
fact proven some years ago by one of the roadside rescue companies or the
RRL (Road Research Laboratory) I can't remember which one now though, but
the research was carried out on the M25 and some A roads in the vicinity.

The simple cause of most of the traffic jams is the person behind the wheel
who can look no further than the end of the vehicles bonnet or simply lacks
the brain to think.

[1] Keep the correct distance apart and eyes on the road ahead (rather
than in the mirror grooming themselves) or take that mobile phone from their
ears or stopping texting or reading a text etc.

Again apologies for the sarcasm, but I hate drivers making excuses for their
own or others bad driving.

Cash

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

"Ronald Tompkins" wrote in message
Driving in lane 1 of a motorway at a steady speed with large gaps in front
and behind me, I find it difficult to understand why some drivers
approaching the motorway on a slip road draw level with me instead of
accelerating or decelerating slightly to pull into the gaps. Several
times
recently I have had to take evasive action when another driver tries to
join
in this manner.

Are there any others out there who use this bizarre technique for joining
motorway? I don't remember it being taught when I was learning to drive!

No Big deal, just back off a little and let them move over. That's basic
defensive driving. Or perhaps you favour stubbornly holding your ground just
to make life difficult for others!

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
"Cash" wrote:

Apologies for the sarcasm, but I thought that it was standard
practice to 'read the road ahead' so that such situations can be
avoided on what after all is a straight piece of road at that point.

In which case why aren't these joining clowns doing that?It's their
responsibility after all.

I fully agree with you Tim - but wouldn't you accept that it's also your
"responsibility" to 'try' and avert a problem by reading the road and
situation so that *YOU* can try to outwit those "clowns" and in doing so,
*YOU* and your passengers stay safe?

I'm not trying to preach here, but in my opinion, if the OP has to make such
comments regarding the very basic and common situation he describes, then he
should be made to re-sit his driving test.

Cash

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:34:14 -0800 (PST), pullgees
wrote:

On Feb 17, 7:26*pm, Ronald Tompkins wrote:
Driving in lane 1 of a motorway at a steady speed with large gaps in front
and behind me, I find it difficult to understand why some drivers
approaching the motorway on a slip road draw level with me instead of
accelerating or decelerating slightly to pull into the gaps. *Several times
recently I have had to take evasive action when another driver tries to join
in this manner.

Are there any others out there who use this bizarre technique for joining a
motorway? *I don't remember it being taught when I was learning to drive!

Have you thought about posting on http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/
the biggest motoring forum in the UK and you will get much more
feedback than you do here.
Far be it from me to want to you to go but your post do seem a little
OT if you don't mind me saying.

You mean someone else took control of his vehicle?

He seems adamant that he did the evasive action himself.

HN

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers
No Name

On 17 Feb,
Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
"Cash" wrote:

Apologies for the sarcasm, but I thought that it was standard practice to
'read the road ahead' so that such situations can be avoided on what
after all is a straight piece of road at that point.

In which case why aren't these joining clowns doing that?It's their
responsibility after all.

We could do with the public information films back on the TV.

I was forced to pull over to lane 2 by someone joining the M1 on Saturday.
The driver who had to move into lane 3 didn't half carve up the new joiner
when he wanted to move out to overtake the lorry I was following.

What is the current system of signaling on roundabouts? From observations I
think it must have changed to indicating right to pull off.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 23:55:56 GMT, wrote:

On 17 Feb,
Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
"Cash" wrote:

Apologies for the sarcasm, but I thought that it was standard practice to
'read the road ahead' so that such situations can be avoided on what
after all is a straight piece of road at that point.

In which case why aren't these joining clowns doing that?It's their
responsibility after all.

We could do with the public information films back on the TV.

I was forced to pull over to lane 2 by someone joining the M1 on Saturday.
The driver who had to move into lane 3 didn't half carve up the new joiner
when he wanted to move out to overtake the lorry I was following.

What is the current system of signaling on roundabouts? From observations I
think it must have changed to indicating right to pull off.

1. Join roundabout

2. Signal to leave roundabout

3. Maintain LH signal for the entire journey around the roundabout.
This allows all people hoping to enter the roundabout enough time to
fully appreciate the artistic appeal of your indicators.

HN

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

Ronald Tompkins wrote:

Driving in lane 1 of a motorway at a steady speed with large gaps in front
and behind me, I find it difficult to understand why some drivers
approaching the motorway on a slip road draw level with me instead of
accelerating or decelerating slightly to pull into the gaps. Several times
recently I have had to take evasive action when another driver tries to join
in this manner.

Are there any others out there who use this bizarre technique for joining a
motorway? I don't remember it being taught when I was learning to drive!

Expect for road rage situations, this has never been a problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

"H. Neary" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 23:55:56 GMT, wrote:

On 17 Feb,
Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
"Cash" wrote:

[...]

I was taught to signal left or right prior to entering a roundabout if you
intended leaving to left or right. No signal on entering if going straight
on. Then signal left as you pass the exit before the one you intend exiting
by. Has this changed?

Maintaining left signal all the way round gives the wrong warning to those
waiting to enter.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

MuddyMike wrote:

I was taught to signal left or right prior to entering a roundabout if you
intended leaving to left or right. No signal on entering if going straight
on. Then signal left as you pass the exit before the one you intend exiting
by. Has this changed?

Maintaining left signal all the way round gives the wrong warning to those
waiting to enter.

Not as bad as those who commence signalling left before the exit prior
to they one they actually intend to leave at, then they wonder why you
start to pull out in front of them!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

MuddyMike wrote:
"H. Neary" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 23:55:56 GMT, wrote:

On 17 Feb,
Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
"Cash" wrote:

[...]

I have not indicated left all week. I have had rather a few handsignals made
and horns blasted at me.

I finally fitted the new relay today:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 15:49:19 -0000, "MuddyMike"
wrote:

"H. Neary" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 23:55:56 GMT, wrote:

On 17 Feb,
Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
"Cash" wrote:

[...]

Apologies. I thought the sarcasm would be ovbious.

Indicating too soon is common practice now, and I do find it very
irritating.

HN
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

On 17/02/2012 20:45, Cash wrote:
Ronald Tompkins wrote:
Driving in lane 1 of a motorway at a steady speed with large gaps in
front and behind me, I find it difficult to understand why some
drivers approaching the motorway on a slip road draw level with me
instead of accelerating or decelerating slightly to pull into the
gaps. Several times recently I have had to take evasive action when
another driver tries to join in this manner.

I simply get into the middle lane well before I approach the On-slip-road to
avoid that sort of situation.

Yes, many HGVs do this and I think that is the best approach. There is
one bit of local dual carriage way which I often join on a bend. Many
cars already on the road move to the right hand lane.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

Ronald Tompkins set the following eddies spiralling through the space-time
continuum:

Driving in lane 1 of a motorway at a steady speed with large gaps in front
and behind me, I find it difficult to understand why some drivers
approaching the motorway on a slip road draw level with me instead of
accelerating or decelerating slightly to pull into the gaps. Several
times recently I have had to take evasive action when another driver tries
to join in this manner.

Are there any others out there who use this bizarre technique for joining
motorway? I don't remember it being taught when I was learning to drive!

I'm well ware of the phenomenon. "Keeping pace" I call it, and I hate it. To
annoy a pacer, _speed_up_ to give them a space.
--
ΞΎ: ) Proud to be curly

Interchange the alphabetic letter groups to reply
Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

On 17/02/2012 19:26, Ronald Tompkins wrote:
Driving in lane 1 of a motorway at a steady speed with large gaps in front
and behind me, I find it difficult to understand why some drivers
approaching the motorway on a slip road draw level with me instead of
accelerating or decelerating slightly to pull into the gaps. Several times
recently I have had to take evasive action when another driver tries to join
in this manner.

Are there any others out there who use this bizarre technique for joining a
motorway? I don't remember it being taught when I was learning to drive!

Some people clearly haven't heard of zip merging.

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

http://forums.travel.com/uk-driving-...ml#post3297300

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 21:43:26 -0000, John wrote:

Some people clearly haven't heard of zip merging.

Compresses the vehicles so they can all fit into one lane?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 21:43:26 +0000, John wrote:

On 17/02/2012 19:26, Ronald Tompkins wrote:
Driving in lane 1 of a motorway at a steady speed with large gaps in front
and behind me, I find it difficult to understand why some drivers
approaching the motorway on a slip road draw level with me instead of
accelerating or decelerating slightly to pull into the gaps. Several times
recently I have had to take evasive action when another driver tries to join
in this manner.

Are there any others out there who use this bizarre technique for joining a
motorway? I don't remember it being taught when I was learning to drive!

Some people clearly haven't heard of zip merging.

Personally I find the drivers coming down the slip road nose to tail
kind of amusing. You would think the Darwin effect would limit this
piece of stupidity, but I often see groups of four or five vehicles
join the motorway with a couple of metres between them.

HN

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

Ronald Tompkins wrote:
Driving in lane 1 of a motorway at a steady speed with large gaps in
front and behind me, I find it difficult to understand why some
drivers approaching the motorway on a slip road draw level with me
instead of accelerating or decelerating slightly to pull into the
gaps. Several times recently I have had to take evasive action when
another driver tries to join in this manner.

Are there any others out there who use this bizarre technique for
joining a motorway? I don't remember it being taught when I was
learning to drive!

This has nothing relating to DIY in it. Please no crossposting.
Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
Ronald Tompkins wrote:
Driving in lane 1 of a motorway at a steady speed with large gaps in
front and behind me, I find it difficult to understand why some
drivers approaching the motorway on a slip road draw level with me
instead of accelerating or decelerating slightly to pull into the
gaps. Several times recently I have had to take evasive action when
another driver tries to join in this manner.

Are there any others out there who use this bizarre technique for
joining a motorway? I don't remember it being taught when I was
learning to drive!

This has nothing relating to DIY in it. Please no crossposting.

Course it does. The only motorists that don't DIY are those with chauffeurs,
like GovMint Ministers and Olympic FatCats.

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

"John" wrote in message
. uk...
On 17/02/2012 19:26, Ronald Tompkins wrote:
Driving in lane 1 of a motorway at a steady speed with large gaps in
front
and behind me, I find it difficult to understand why some drivers
approaching the motorway on a slip road draw level with me instead of
accelerating or decelerating slightly to pull into the gaps. Several
times
recently I have had to take evasive action when another driver tries to
join
in this manner.

Are there any others out there who use this bizarre technique for joining
motorway? I don't remember it being taught when I was learning to drive!

Snipped from Travel.com

"Driving in lane 1 of a motorway at a steady speed with large gaps in front
and behind me, I find it difficult to understand why some drivers
approaching the motorway on a slip road draw level with me instead of
accelerating or decelerating slightly to pull into the gaps. Several times
recently I have had to take evasive action when another driver tries to join
in this manner.

Are there any others out there who use this bizarre technique for joining a
motorway? I don't remember it being taught when I was learning to drive!"

I sense some similarity here!!!
Could the op be the same Mr Ben that posted this on Travel.com on 29th April
2011?

Mike

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

"Ronald Tompkins" wrote in message
Driving in lane 1 of a motorway at a steady speed with large gaps in front
and behind me, I find it difficult to understand why some drivers
approaching the motorway on a slip road draw level with me instead of
accelerating or decelerating slightly to pull into the gaps. Several
times
recently I have had to take evasive action when another driver tries to
join
in this manner.

Are there any others out there who use this bizarre technique for joining
motorway? I don't remember it being taught when I was learning to drive!

Of course if I am approaching an entry slip and I can see lots of cars on it
I move over to the middle lane so they can pull onto the motorway.

The other problems is the numpties who don't accelerate on the slip road (to
the speed of the cars on the motorway) and pull out doing about 20-30mph
less than the traffic!

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

On Feb 17, 7:34*pm, McKevvy wrote:

Don't take any evasive action. Maintain your speed.

While you are in terms of road traffic law completely in the right, I
would suggest that "defensive driving" would suggest that if they do
that and it is safe for you to do so that you should move to the right
or back off slightly to let them in.

It's all very well there being an accident and it being someone else's
fault, but I would prefer to accommodate the muppets and not have to
deal with the admin or worse of an accident I could have avoided.

I once heard it said: "Don't just drive as if everyone else on the
road is an idiot. Drive as if they are actively out to kill you."

Neil

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers
GB GB is offline

Neil Williams wrote:
On Feb 17, 7:34 pm, McKevvy wrote:

Don't take any evasive action. Maintain your speed.

While you are in terms of road traffic law completely in the right, I
would suggest that "defensive driving" would suggest that if they do
that and it is safe for you to do so that you should move to the right
or back off slightly to let them in.

It's all very well there being an accident and it being someone else's
fault, but I would prefer to accommodate the muppets and not have to
deal with the admin or worse of an accident I could have avoided.

I once heard it said: "Don't just drive as if everyone else on the
road is an idiot. Drive as if they are actively out to kill you."

My wife finds joining the motorway a very fraught experience.

A couple of times, I have ended up on the hard shoulder when the traffic in
the nearside lane refuses to leave a gap, but that's the worst that can
happen.

--
Register as an organ donor with the NHS online. It takes 1 minute and
saves you carrying an organ donor card with you.

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

In article
..com, Neil Williams scribeth thus
On Feb 17, 7:34*pm, McKevvy wrote:

Don't take any evasive action. Maintain your speed.

While you are in terms of road traffic law completely in the right, I
would suggest that "defensive driving" would suggest that if they do
that and it is safe for you to do so that you should move to the right
or back off slightly to let them in.

It's all very well there being an accident and it being someone else's
fault, but I would prefer to accommodate the muppets and not have to
deal with the admin or worse of an accident I could have avoided.

I once heard it said: "Don't just drive as if everyone else on the
road is an idiot. Drive as if they are actively out to kill you."

Neil

Sound advice that;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

"GB" wrote in message
Neil Williams wrote:
[...]

Please do not take this as a facetious remark - it isn't.

I suggest a lesson or two from a decent driving school would help, no matter
how long she has held her licence. The lessons to be specifically aimed at
her problem. (motorway driving, specifically the first bit... getting onto
them!).

Her current experience with otherwise (I presume ) competently handling the
car should put her at her ease for this lesson.....Most women HATE taking
"instructions" from their menfolk (and vice versa!!); so an impartial
instructor would be of benefit.

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers
GB GB is offline

Huge wrote:
A couple of times, I have ended up on the hard shoulder when the
traffic in the nearside lane refuses to leave a gap, but that's the
worst that can happen.

Is the "Give Way" line at the end of the slip road not sufficiently
obvious for you? Have you had your eyesight tested recently?

What do you suggest I do? I'm doing 70 mph or so in the slip road,
attempting to enter the motorway, but there's no gaps, and eventually I run
out of slip road. I can't see where eyesight comes into it???

--
Register as an organ donor with the NHS online. It takes 1 minute and
saves you carrying an organ donor card with you.
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/h...me_a_donor.jsp

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers
GB GB is offline

Ian wrote:
"GB" wrote in message
Neil Williams wrote:
[...]

Actually, I was talking about my own experiences. I just don't see what you
do if the guys in the nearside lane are nose to tail at 70 mph, other than
decelerate gently in the hard shoulder. I wish that you experts would come
up with a solution.

joining DPC and DPM sm_jamieson UK diy 2 September 16th 08 05:26 PM
joining end grain alysonsdad Woodworking 7 June 27th 06 01:18 AM
Joining MDF? Deb Woodworking 18 June 2nd 06 01:56 AM
Hi, I am joining it. [email protected] Metalworking 0 December 5th 05 11:52 AM
Joining a RF Tx & Rx together Joe Bloggs Electronics 3 September 7th 05 06:04 PM