Posted to rec.woodworking
Deb

Default Joining MDF?

Have a project to build a small set of tables. For cost AND ease of
purchase the Beach Vainered MDF 19mm seems the best buy for this work.
Not having used this for any lasting work, only backing, or shelving, so
the fitting was not of any real concern as it did not matter if it was
visible, how should I fix these MDF parts together?

I need fixings for strength, durability, and Cosmetic appearances.

The idea is to have 4 legs made from 2 pieces of material joined along
their longest edge, making a 90 degree angled section. The corners of
these will be facing outwards, lining up with the table tops, and their
inner faces will have a small pieces of material to make a box frame,
along these lines:

Table top
*******************************
*************************
******* piece for *******
* boxing/fill in *
* *
* *
* *
* *
* *
* *
* *
* *
* *
* *

Legs from top:

******
join here ******
**
**
**

For the legs I would normally use either a dowel or biscuit, and then a
Mortice, and tenon for the frame to support the table, but not sure if
this material is up to this amount of machining.

The top could be fitted using buttons, or small fill in piece screwed,
and glued to both the frame and the top, but the frame and legs I'm
really not sure of how to joint them.

Any help here will be most greatfully received

Cheers Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Deb" wrote in message
Have a project to build a small set of tables. For cost AND ease of
purchase the Beach Vainered MDF 19mm seems the best buy for this work.
Not having used this for any lasting work, only backing, or shelving, so
the fitting was not of any real concern as it did not matter if it was
visible, how should I fix these MDF parts together?

I need fixings for strength, durability, and Cosmetic appearances.

If you need strength and durability in a table, MDF is an oxymoron. How
much more could pine or poplar cost?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Deb

Mike Marlow wrote:
"Deb" wrote in message

Have a project to build a small set of tables. For cost AND ease of
purchase the Beach Vainered MDF 19mm seems the best buy for this work.
Not having used this for any lasting work, only backing, or shelving, so
the fitting was not of any real concern as it did not matter if it was
visible, how should I fix these MDF parts together?

I need fixings for strength, durability, and Cosmetic appearances.

If you need strength and durability in a table, MDF is an oxymoron. How
much more could pine or poplar cost?

Got to be of a beach finish, but I cannot get the sections large enough
to do the job.

Totally agree Pine would be better, but just not the same look or grain
structure.

Any idea on how to overcome this MDF problem?

Cheers Deb

Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

On Tue, 30 May 2006 15:28:53 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

"Deb" wrote in message
Have a project to build a small set of tables. For cost AND ease of
purchase the Beach Vainered MDF 19mm

If you need strength and durability in a table, MDF is an oxymoron. How
much more could pine or poplar cost?

I've used MDF for a large table top, but any part requiring any
strength was still solid oak. The only way the MDF was used was as a
flat panel surrounded by oak for the top ...biscuit joinery, good glue
and clamps, and lots of varnish to waterproof. To try to use it for
legs etc, he might as well use papier mache.

i won't do it again for a large project, but might for a small one.
Still ...surround by oak for adjoining parts and so on.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim

"Deb" wrote in message
Mike Marlow wrote:
"Deb" wrote in message

Have a project to build a small set of tables. For cost AND ease of
purchase the Beach Vainered MDF 19mm seems the best buy for this work.
Not having used this for any lasting work, only backing, or shelving, so
the fitting was not of any real concern as it did not matter if it was
visible, how should I fix these MDF parts together?

I need fixings for strength, durability, and Cosmetic appearances.

If you need strength and durability in a table, MDF is an oxymoron. How
much more could pine or poplar cost?

Got to be of a beach finish, but I cannot get the sections large enough to
do the job.

Totally agree Pine would be better, but just not the same look or grain
structure.

Any idea on how to overcome this MDF problem?

Cheers Deb

Yes, replace the MDF with plywood. MDF compensates for its heavy weight
with its low strength.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
John B

G'day Deb,
There are lots MDFobia's out there, but used properly it is a great
material that can do a lot of things that solid timber can't.
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do ???
Biscuits join MDF well so do screws and glue.
If using it for legs or other parts of furniture that touches the floor
put glides on the bottom of the legs. This allows the object to be moved
easily and stops water damage when the floors are mopped. If using it in
damp areas such as bathrooms, laundry etc. use HMR.
Perhaps if you can post a sketch I may be able to be of more assistance.
regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking
Peter Huebner

In article ,
says...
Have a project to build a small set of tables. For cost AND ease of
purchase the Beach Vainered MDF 19mm seems the best buy for this work.
Not having used this for any lasting work, only backing, or shelving, so
the fitting was not of any real concern as it did not matter if it was
visible, how should I fix these MDF parts together?

I need fixings for strength, durability, and Cosmetic appearances.

[snippage]

Any help here will be most greatfully received

Cheers Deb

I am afraid I cannot make anything out of your sketch, esp. the top view.

So I'll just sling some thoughts your way and hope you can use them.

Best way by far of joining MDF in my opinion are bisquits. If the loading is
high, every 6-8 inches. In addition, painting the edge of mdf with pva where it
joins on to a flat surface WILL provide extra strength, unlike endgrain in
timber. Round dowels tear out, ordinary woodscrews seem to become slack - I
believe that there are MDF screws available.

For cosmetics, and extra strength, I tend to join real wood to the edge of the
veneered mdf -- you can have an l-shaped leg, for instance, where two strips of
MDF join on to 1 bit of 3/4" square beech from two sides. If you glue a veneer
or ~1/8" thin strip of beech on to the other edge of the MDF, nobody will ever
know what it is, and it will look really nice. Quite a bit of work though, and
the question is if the extra labour won't upset the savings on timber equation
:-)

You'll definitely need rails, and extra rails under your table top, depending
on size. A table 6' long I'd use 3@5" or 4@4" rails. (extras under the centre
of the table). MDF on the flat sags badly, but on edge it's not bad at all.

Be aware also that the pre-veneered MDF veneer tends to be VERY thin. It's
awfully easy to cut through that with a bit of sandpaper. I've done it a couple
of times, fortunately I was able to turn those bits to the inside of a cabinet,
or use them for the underside of a drawer - the latter was done after sanding
off some spider-crap and light damage :-(

-P.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus

On Tue, 30 May 2006 19:07:29 GMT, Deb wrote:

Have a project to build a small set of tables. For cost AND ease of
purchase the Beach Vainered MDF 19mm seems the best buy for this work.
Not having used this for any lasting work, only backing, or shelving, so
the fitting was not of any real concern as it did not matter if it was
visible, how should I fix these MDF parts together?

How are you planning on finishing it? If you're going to paint,
pocket screws work well, and you can fill them with bondo. This would
still work fine if you plan on laminating or veneering it.

Crappy stuff, but surprisingly forgiving and fun to work with.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Deb

John B wrote:
G'day Deb,
There are lots MDFobia's out there, but used properly it is a great
material that can do a lot of things that solid timber can't.
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do ???
Biscuits join MDF well so do screws and glue.
If using it for legs or other parts of furniture that touches the floor
put glides on the bottom of the legs. This allows the object to be moved
easily and stops water damage when the floors are mopped. If using it in
damp areas such as bathrooms, laundry etc. use HMR.
Perhaps if you can post a sketch I may be able to be of more assistance.
regards
John

Did try to send a full plan but this group would not let me use
attachments, so did the every poor sketch found in the first post. :-(

Can post to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking, with a picture, or plan,
would that be ok or may I email you direct?

Thanks for the help so far Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill B

Deb wrote:
Have a project to build a small set of tables. For cost AND ease of
purchase the Beach Vainered MDF 19mm seems the best buy for this work.
Not having used this for any lasting work, only backing, or shelving, so
the fitting was not of any real concern as it did not matter if it was
visible, how should I fix these MDF parts together?

CLIP

I built a 4'x8' model train table out of 1/2" MDF and it is holding up
well. It is on casters in a carpeted room. I pull it out to work on
and push it back in the corner when I'm done. The legs are 3" wide, two
pieces in a L shape. #10 Biscuits every 6", lots of glue, and coarse
thread screws. Four years old and hasn't loosened at all.

--
Bill Berglin

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid
in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming, 'WOW! What A RIDE!!" ... Unknown
Posted to rec.woodworking
Deb

Peter Huebner wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

Have posted a very simple design on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking,
under Joining MDF Help please.

Hope this helps you see what I am trying to achieve.

Thanks Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking
John B

Deb wrote:
John B wrote:

[...]

Yep,
no probs emailing me
I'm sure you can decipher the address, just leave out the NOTTHIS
More than pleased to help if I can.
regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

He is talking about VENEERED mdf, which is used in the
U.K. and all over europe because of cost. It is also
used extensivly here in the USA by a LOT of furniture
manufactures.

Many folks have no idea they are looking at MDF when
they see the finished product.

He is NOT talking about raw mdf sold in home centers.

Prometheus wrote:

How are you planning on finishing it? If you're going to paint,
pocket screws work well, and you can fill them with bondo. This would
still work fine if you plan on laminating or veneering it.

Crappy stuff, but surprisingly forgiving and fun to work with.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus

On Wed, 31 May 2006 19:44:34 GMT, Pat Barber
wrote:

He is talking about VENEERED mdf, which is used in the
U.K. and all over europe because of cost. It is also
used extensivly here in the USA by a LOT of furniture
manufactures.

Many folks have no idea they are looking at MDF when
they see the finished product.

He is NOT talking about raw mdf sold in home centers.

Sure man, I got it- no need for the excessive emphesis. We use
veneered MDF at work, I just didn't catch it in the original post the
first time through.

In that case, it's pretty simple to countersink and screw it together,
and then make a nice frame to cover the edges and screw holes.

Alternately, it seems to hold together ok with simple miters with or
without biscuts, especially if there is some other internal structure
with better joinery to re-enforce it.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

I have seen these threads on MDF for years on
this group.

The amount of bad information here can be
really incredible at times.

Did not mean to over emphasize.

Since you have some background in it's use,
you can write a short version of how to
use the product in more practical situations.

MDF is a great product if used in a correct and
planned manner. Raw mdf is great for jigs, braces
and many other uses that plywood often gets cut up
for.

It can not be beat for prototypes and patterns.

MDF is also MUCH cheaper to purchase than plywood.

Prometheus wrote:

Sure man, I got it- no need for the excessive emphesis. We use
veneered MDF at work, I just didn't catch it in the original post the
first time through.

In that case, it's pretty simple to countersink and screw it together,
and then make a nice frame to cover the edges and screw holes.

Alternately, it seems to hold together ok with simple miters with or
without biscuts, especially if there is some other internal structure
with better joinery to re-enforce it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus

On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 14:48:36 GMT, Pat Barber
wrote:

I have seen these threads on MDF for years on
this group.

The amount of bad information here can be
really incredible at times.

Did not mean to over emphasize.

Since you have some background in it's use,
you can write a short version of how to
use the product in more practical situations.

Not sure what you're looking for, but I gave the OP some suggestions
on ABPW, after seeing the plan.

MDF is a great product if used in a correct and
planned manner. Raw mdf is great for jigs, braces
and many other uses that plywood often gets cut up
for.

It can not be beat for prototypes and patterns.

MDF is also MUCH cheaper to purchase than plywood.

Sure, I like MDF- I've even come around to preferring it over standard
plywood because of the lack of voids. I wonder (though have no real
idea) how many folks confuse it with particle board, especially when I
hear people say that it's weak. Particle board, I can break on the
edge of a plastic garbage can with no effort- MDF is kind of like
trying to bust a hunk of pine, sometimes even stronger than that,
because of the lack of knots to weaken the structure.

Only reason I said it was crappy is the horrendous dust- other than
that, it's great. Made a box jointing jig out of the stuff a few
hours ago, and it worked a whole lot nicer than the one made of solid
pine that it was replacing. At work, all the cabinets are made of it-
as long as the cherry, maple, or oak is what the customer sees,
they're happy as can be.