Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

Default Joining motorways

On 23/03/2012 13:44, Ian Jackson wrote:

These magic roundabouts hold no terrors for me. They work great -
provided those using them know what they are doing.

I wonder what insurance and claims management companies think of them?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 March 2012 13:41:10 UTC, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , funkyoldcortina
writes
On 22/03/12 16:05, funkyoldcortina wrote:
On 22/03/12 15:43, Roger Mills wrote:
On 22/03/2012 15:00, funkyoldcortina wrote:

This one does my head in...

http://g.co/maps/gfj42

Imagine you are approaching this roundabout from Ferris Row (top of the
picture).

Which of the three approach lanes should you be in if you intend to exit
onto Fairground Way (bottom left of the picture).

Most people seem to think it perfectly OK to take what is basically a
right-hand exit off the roundabout by approaching in the middle lane,
then get irate when a few drivers approach in the right-hand lane to
exit on Fairground way.

I'm not sure what the problem is. Nor do I know what a right-hand exit off a
roundabout is - unless you're in a country where they drive on the right.

The picture is much clearer if you turn off Labels. It then looks like
there's 3 concentric lanes round the roundabout - right? I would therefore
approach in the middle lane, go round the roundabout in the middle
lane until
I'd just gone too far to exit at bottom right, and then indicate left and
move into the left lane to peel off into Fairground Way.

Isn't that what you're supposed to do?

OK, to be clearer.

By right-hand exit, I mean exit 3 of 4 off the roundabout (3 of 5 if you
include exiting the way you approached), at approximately 2 O'Clock as viewed
from the approach.

There are no lane markings at all on the roundabout, just on the approaches.

To me, those taking the first exit should approach in the left lane. Those
taking the second exit (approx 12 O'Clock as viewed from approach) should
approach in the middle lane. Those taking exits past 12 O'Clock as viewed
from approach, eg the third (Fairground way) or fourth, or those going right
around, should approach in the right lane.

In other words, those travelling from A to B

http://g.co/maps/t9rjp

on the link above.... which lane shouuld they approach the roundabout in?

The answer is Lane 2 or 3. Both would be satisfactory, provided you made
your intentions clear by indicating correctly.

I would hold my position (in an imaginary lane) on the roundabout, and
start (and keep) indicating right until I was passing Exit 1. I would
then stop indicating.

Then, when was opposite the exit lane for Exit 2, I would start
indicating left, and (if OK to do so) progressively begin moving to the
left - but keeping a good watch to my left in case anyone about to enter
(my) Exit 2 appeared to be entering the roundabout and coming up on my
left side, thus preventing me from taking Exit 3.

If all was going OK, I would then continue moving left and exit safely
at Exit 3.
--
Ian

I would treat exits 2 or 3 as "straight on", taking my cue from the fact that the right hand lane on the entry road separates before the junction, whereas the left hand lane splits itself into two. Junctions are inconsistent on this, with some having the right hand lane splitting, and others having the left hand lane splitting.

I would view the right hand lane as to be used only for drivers heading down Marquee Drive, though I would also be on the lookout for drivers who perhaps made a different judgement in the few seconds before arriving at the junction and might want to treat the 3rd exit as a "sort of right turn".

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 March 2012 16:18:55 UTC, larkim wrote:
[...]

I'd also point out that the preceding road sign indicates that the 3rd exit is the "main" exit from that roundabout (or if it doesn't actually say that, it certainly gives that general impression that that's where they expect most traffic to go to) so that would lead me to think as a driver that you can choose either the middle or right hand lane.

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Brian Watson
writes

"funkyoldcortina" wrote in message

This one does my head in...

http://g.co/maps/gfj42

Imagine you are approaching this roundabout from Ferris Row (top of the
picture).

Which of the three approach lanes should you be in if you intend to exit
onto Fairground Way (bottom left of the picture).

Most people seem to think it perfectly OK to take what is basically a
right-hand exit off the roundabout by approaching in the middle lane,
then
get irate when a few drivers approach in the right-hand lane to exit on
Fairground way.

Approach the roundabout in lane 2, indicate left as you arrive at 2nd exit
(Ferris Row) and take position to exit (lane 1) into Fairground Way.

Unless there happens to be a lady driver in a huge Mercedes who has
arrived at the inside lane and plans to drive round to exit 3:-(

Happened to me at Costco, Watford.

So much for your awareness of other road users near you.

:-)

--
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

Bill Wright wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:
On 22/03/2012 16:12, tony sayer wrote:
Nah!, that ones simple, the really odd one is the Magic
Roundabout in Hemel Hempstead..

Common as muck. (Ok, there are several)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundab...22_roundabouts

Andy

It mentions Sheffield but misses the point completely about Park
Square, which is that the lanes spiral outwards.

Lots of roundabouts spiral outwards.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

ARWadsworth wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:
On 22/03/2012 16:12, tony sayer wrote:
Nah!, that ones simple, the really odd one is the Magic
Roundabout in Hemel Hempstead..
Common as muck. (Ok, there are several)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundab...22_roundabouts

Andy

It mentions Sheffield but misses the point completely about Park
Square, which is that the lanes spiral outwards.

Lots of roundabouts spiral outwards.

Some of them even have slightly raised bits where you'd expect to see
white lines, just to make sure that people get the message.

It's now the Europe wide recommended standard for roundabouts, where
practicable, as it increases traffic flow by reducing confusion and
discouraging drivers from just cutting across, or overtaking on the
roundabout.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

In message , ARWadsworth
writes
Bill Wright wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:
On 22/03/2012 16:12, tony sayer wrote:
Nah!, that ones simple, the really odd one is the Magic
Roundabout in Hemel Hempstead..

Common as muck. (Ok, there are several)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundab...22_roundabouts

Andy

It mentions Sheffield but misses the point completely about Park
Square, which is that the lanes spiral outwards.

Lots of roundabouts spiral outwards.

I love these. Just when you have congratulated yourself on having
selected the correct lane, you find yourself in the wrong one!
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian C" wrote in message
On 23/03/2012 13:44, Ian Jackson wrote:

These magic roundabouts hold no terrors for me. They work great -
provided those using them know what they are doing.

I wonder what insurance and claims management companies think of them?

I would think they wonder why a short bit of road in between islands should
cause a problem to a driver.
That is all they are, there is nothing magic about them.
If you shrank the M25 down it would look similar with more islands.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

In message , Brian Watson
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I didn't hit her. Just got a bit surprised as did the gentleman behind
me.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Brian Watson
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
[...]

I didn't hit her.

Dennis Waterman would have.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

ARWadsworth wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:
On 22/03/2012 16:12, tony sayer wrote:
Nah!, that ones simple, the really odd one is the Magic
Roundabout in Hemel Hempstead..
Common as muck. (Ok, there are several)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundab...22_roundabouts

Andy

It mentions Sheffield but misses the point completely about Park
Square, which is that the lanes spiral outwards.

Lots of roundabouts spiral outwards.

We are very easily impressed round here.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

Bill Wright wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:
On 22/03/2012 16:12, tony sayer wrote:
Nah!, that ones simple, the really odd one is the Magic
Roundabout in Hemel Hempstead..
Common as muck. (Ok, there are several)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundab...22_roundabouts

Andy
It mentions Sheffield but misses the point completely about Park
Square, which is that the lanes spiral outwards.

Lots of roundabouts spiral outwards.

We are very easily impressed round here.

You must have been to Stairfoot roundabout:-)

It is fun getting from Broad Street to Exchange Plaza on Park Square. The
biggest challenge is getting past the sweet shop at the end of Broad Street.

The second biggest challenge are the two stupid exits from the roundabout
(one of them for buses) that are next to each other with a stupid island
between them.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

Bill Wright wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:
On 22/03/2012 16:12, tony sayer wrote:
Nah!, that ones simple, the really odd one is the Magic
Roundabout in Hemel Hempstead..
Common as muck. (Ok, there are several)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundab...22_roundabouts

Andy
It mentions Sheffield but misses the point completely about Park
Square, which is that the lanes spiral outwards.

Lots of roundabouts spiral outwards.

We are very easily impressed round here.

BTW Did you work at the Earl of Doncaster when it had an extention built a
couple of years ago?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Brian Watson
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
[...]

Not as a Rula...

--
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

On 23/03/12 14:11, Adrian C wrote:
On 23/03/2012 13:44, Ian Jackson wrote:

These magic roundabouts hold no terrors for me. They work great -
provided those using them know what they are doing.

I wonder what insurance and claims management companies think of them?

I don't think I remember hearing of a single accident on Swindon's magic
roundabout the whole time I lived there....

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

On 23/03/12 19:48, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes
Bill Wright wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:
On 22/03/2012 16:12, tony sayer wrote:
Nah!, that ones simple, the really odd one is the Magic
Roundabout in Hemel Hempstead..

Common as muck. (Ok, there are several)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundab...22_roundabouts

Andy
It mentions Sheffield but misses the point completely about Park
Square, which is that the lanes spiral outwards.

Lots of roundabouts spiral outwards.

I love these. Just when you have congratulated yourself on having selected
the correct lane, you find yourself in the wrong one!

In which case your congratulations were sorely misplaced.

Spiralling outwards is good. It means you should never need to change lanes
on the roundabout, from the approach right through to the exit...

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

On 23/03/12 11:00, Brian Watson wrote:
wrote in message

This one does my head in...

http://g.co/maps/gfj42

Imagine you are approaching this roundabout from Ferris Row (top of the
picture).

Which of the three approach lanes should you be in if you intend to exit
onto Fairground Way (bottom left of the picture).

Most people seem to think it perfectly OK to take what is basically a
right-hand exit off the roundabout by approaching in the middle lane, then
get irate when a few drivers approach in the right-hand lane to exit on
Fairground way.

Approach the roundabout in lane 2, indicate left as you arrive at 2nd exit
(Ferris Row) and take position to exit (lane 1) into Fairground Way.

Simples.

Interesting. Because the exit is "past 12 O'Clock", and my driving instructor
always taught me that anything past 12 O'Clock is a right turn, therefore the
approach should be in the right lane, unless there are markings to the
contrary, and you should be indicating right.

One often sees near misses, horn soundings and entertaining gestures between
drivers on this roundabout who are approaching from that direction and aiming
for that exit, with some choosing lane 3 and taking a route round the centre
of the roundabout, and some choosing lane 2 and coming up on the lane 3
driver's inside at the point they both wish to exit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.people.silversurfers

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 10:26:42 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 08:12:46 -0800 (PST), Onetap wrote:

There are just too many ******* on the UK's roads.

Maybe we need more "shared spaces". No barriers, no kerbs, no signs,
no road markings as we currently know them(*) just a flat open space.
Apparently where they have been introduced accident rates plummet
compared to the barriered, kerbed,
signed and marked areas they replaced.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00n96c4

(*) Just different coloured/textured areas that indicate but do not
enforce "paths".

That's surprising. Although I've seen this work in France - perhaps it makes drivers pay more attention.

However in Glasgow where all the lane markings had worn off, chaos ensues at junctions. Glaswegians are just *******.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Why do Italians hate Jehovah's Witnesses?
Italians hate ALL witnesses.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.people.silversurfers

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 10:40:46 -0000, Tim Streater wrote:

In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 08:12:46 -0800 (PST), Onetap wrote:

There are just too many ******* on the UK's roads.

Maybe we need more "shared spaces". No barriers, no kerbs, no signs,
no road markings as we currently know them(*) just a flat open space.
Apparently where they have been introduced accident rates plummet
compared to the barriered, kerbed, signed and marked areas they replaced.

And journey times probably tend towards infinity. You can always reduce
accident rates by having a speed limit of 4mph.

And 4mph doesn't make journey times longer?

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 15:00:38 -0000, funkyoldcortina wrote:

This one does my head in...

http://g.co/maps/gfj42

Imagine you are approaching this roundabout from Ferris Row (top of the picture).

Which of the three approach lanes should you be in if you intend to exit onto
Fairground Way (bottom left of the picture).

Most people seem to think it perfectly OK to take what is basically a
right-hand exit off the roundabout by approaching in the middle lane, then
get irate when a few drivers approach in the right-hand lane to exit on
Fairground way.

Middle for the middle two roads, left for the left road, right for the right road. I don't see your problem.

What's daft is when there are two lanes for left, straight ahead, or right. You then get 50% of people taking left lane for straight ahead, and 50% in right lane. Then they argue at the exit.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Runtime Error 6D at 417A:32CF: Incompetent User.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 11:09:26 -0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

[...]

That's what the horn and fist are for. I mean shaking your fist, you only punch if they damage your car.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

I imposed a declaration in opposition to your motion to modify the preliminary injunction in support of the cross motion to vacate the preliminary injunction. So noted by the Federal Court of Justice proceeding preliminary declaration.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 15:43:16 -0000, Roger Mills wrote:

[...]

Agreed.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 16:08:16 -0000, funkyoldcortina wrote:

[...]

Did you notice Google have calculated you'd use 2p of fuel for that manoeuvre?

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

You may be a cunning linguist, but I am a master debater.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 19:30:40 -0000, John Williamson wrote:

ARWadsworth wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:
On 22/03/2012 16:12, tony sayer wrote:
Nah!, that ones simple, the really odd one is the Magic
Roundabout in Hemel Hempstead..
Common as muck. (Ok, there are several)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundab...22_roundabouts

Andy
It mentions Sheffield but misses the point completely about Park
Square, which is that the lanes spiral outwards.

Lots of roundabouts spiral outwards.

Some of them even have slightly raised bits where you'd expect to see
white lines, just to make sure that people get the message.

It's now the Europe wide recommended standard for roundabouts, where
practicable, as it increases traffic flow by reducing confusion and
discouraging drivers from just cutting across, or overtaking on the
roundabout.

There's a small roundabout here where the inner lane of it is actually monoblocked (which I and everyone else assumes you are not meant to drive onto (it's about an inch raised)).

Trouble is some of the entrances to the roundabout are wide enough for two cars, so often people who aren't familiar with the roundabout squeeze alongside me to turn right when I'm going left or 2nd left, then when they notice the monoblock, swerve straight into me.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

At Sunday school the teacher asked little Johnny, "Do you know where little boys and girls go when they do bad things?"
"Sure," little Johnny replied. "They go out in the back of the church yard."
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 16:12:59 -0000, tony sayer wrote:

In article , Roger Mills
scribeth thus
[...]

Wonder what they were smokin when they dreamt this one up;?...

http://g.co/maps/u77jm

Why on earth does that not cause accidents every 5 minutes? Or at least people spending half an hour touring it till they find their exit. I would certainly forget which way I was facing without the use of a compass.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

A mistake is evidence that someone has tried to do something.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

Bill Wright wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:
On 22/03/2012 16:12, tony sayer wrote:
Nah!, that ones simple, the really odd one is the Magic
Roundabout in Hemel Hempstead..

Common as muck. (Ok, there are several)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundab...22_roundabouts

Andy
It mentions Sheffield but misses the point completely about Park
Square, which is that the lanes spiral outwards.

Lots of roundabouts spiral outwards.

I love these. Just when you have congratulated yourself on having selected
the correct lane, you find yourself in the wrong one!

In which case your congratulations were sorely misplaced.

Spiralling outwards is good. It means you should never need to change
lanes on the roundabout, from the approach right through to the exit...

Yebbut....
You usually get 'ushered off' the roundabout before you reach the exit
you want!
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

On 29/03/2012 15:08, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
Trouble is some of the entrances to the roundabout are wide enough for
two cars, so often people who aren't familiar with the roundabout
squeeze alongside me to turn right when I'm going left or 2nd left, then
when they notice the monoblock, swerve straight into me.

Anyone who can say "often... swerve straight into me" needs to take a
different approach.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 20:56:47 +0100, Andy Champ wrote:

On 29/03/2012 15:08, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
Trouble is some of the entrances to the roundabout are wide enough for
two cars, so often people who aren't familiar with the roundabout
squeeze alongside me to turn right when I'm going left or 2nd left, then
when they notice the monoblock, swerve straight into me.

Anyone who can say "often... swerve straight into me" needs to take a
different approach.

I'm going round the roundabout as everyone else is, but the odd person thinks they can sneak through in a lane that doesn't exist on the roundabout.

Picture a roundabout with two lanes entering it, but only room for one car to go round it.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Viagra Lite
For people who only want to masturbate

Viagrallium
A mix of Viagra and Vallium: if you don't get to ****, then you don't give a ****.

joining DPC and DPM sm_jamieson UK diy 2 September 16th 08 05:26 PM
joining end grain alysonsdad Woodworking 7 June 27th 06 01:18 AM
Joining MDF? Deb Woodworking 18 June 2nd 06 01:56 AM
Hi, I am joining it. [email protected] Metalworking 0 December 5th 05 11:52 AM
Joining a RF Tx & Rx together Joe Bloggs Electronics 3 September 7th 05 06:04 PM