Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers
Lieutenant Scott Lieutenant Scott is offline

Default Joining motorways

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 16:08:16 -0000, funkyoldcortina wrote:

On 22/03/12 16:05, funkyoldcortina wrote:
On 22/03/12 15:43, Roger Mills wrote:
On 22/03/2012 15:00, funkyoldcortina wrote:

This one does my head in...

http://g.co/maps/gfj42

Imagine you are approaching this roundabout from Ferris Row (top of the
picture).

Which of the three approach lanes should you be in if you intend to exit
onto Fairground Way (bottom left of the picture).

Most people seem to think it perfectly OK to take what is basically a
right-hand exit off the roundabout by approaching in the middle lane,
then get irate when a few drivers approach in the right-hand lane to
exit on Fairground way.

I'm not sure what the problem is. Nor do I know what a right-hand exit off a
roundabout is - unless you're in a country where they drive on the right.

The picture is much clearer if you turn off Labels. It then looks like
there's 3 concentric lanes round the roundabout - right? I would therefore
approach in the middle lane, go round the roundabout in the middle lane until
I'd just gone too far to exit at bottom right, and then indicate left and
move into the left lane to peel off into Fairground Way.

Isn't that what you're supposed to do?

OK, to be clearer.

By right-hand exit, I mean exit 3 of 4 off the roundabout (3 of 5 if you
include exiting the way you approached), at approximately 2 O'Clock as viewed
from the approach.

There are no lane markings at all on the roundabout, just on the approaches.

To me, those taking the first exit should approach in the left lane. Those
taking the second exit (approx 12 O'Clock as viewed from approach) should
approach in the middle lane. Those taking exits past 12 O'Clock as viewed
from approach, eg the third (Fairground way) or fourth, or those going right
around, should approach in the right lane.

In other words, those travelling from A to B

http://g.co/maps/t9rjp

on the link above.... which lane shouuld they approach the roundabout in?

Did you notice Google have calculated you'd use 2p of fuel for that manoeuvre?

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

You may be a cunning linguist, but I am a master debater.