Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Family Argument

Anyone want to give their opinion if I give the details?

And it does involve money (mine not yours).

--
Adam

* Sometimes I like to lay in my neighbours garden and pretend to be a carrot
*

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2011 17:36, ARWadsworth wrote:
Anyone want to give their opinion if I give the details?

And it does involve money (mine not yours).

This ng is never short of opinions. Whether they are all worth listening
to is of course another matter. ;-)

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 27, 5:36*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Anyone want to give their opinion if I give the details?

And it does involve money (mine not yours).

--
Adam

* Sometimes I like to lay in my neighbours garden and pretend to be a carrot
*

Don't bother with the details - we never read them anyway.

I'm sure you'll still get plenty of opinions without them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Anyone want to give their opinion if I give the details?

And it does involve money (mine not yours).

Tell 'em if they _really_ want it when you're dead, they better be damn
nice to you now.

If they want it while you're still alive they better be even nicer ...

--
Paul - xxx
"You know, all I wanna do is race .. and all I wanna do is win"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anyone want to give their opinion if I give the details?

And it does involve money (mine not yours).

Family + money = answer is it'll end in tears.

But by all means go on to give the detailed question(s)
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:

Anyone want to give their opinion if I give the details?

And it does involve money (mine not yours).

Tell 'em if they _really_ want it when you're dead, they better be damn
nice to you now.

If they want it while you're still alive they better be even nicer ...

The trick is to become penniless on the day you die, I wish I knew how to do
it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The trick is to become penniless on the day you die, I wish I knew
how to do it.

Easy DIY solution: carry all you own with you in cash; and wander about
a bit at night around here or in Brixton, Toxteth etc etc. I assure you
the option to die and be penniless will present itself to you before
long, albeit you *may* have to help a little by not handing the money
over when asked.
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 27, 8:24*pm, "brass monkey" wrote:
The trick is to become penniless on the day you die,
I wish I knew how to do it.

The family will usually help you :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2011 9:24 a.m., brass monkey wrote:
"Paul - wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:

Anyone want to give their opinion if I give the details?

And it does involve money (mine not yours).

Tell 'em if they _really_ want it when you're dead, they better be damn
nice to you now.

If they want it while you're still alive they better be even nicer ...

The trick is to become penniless on the day you die, I wish I knew how to do
it.

A sizable fraction of humanity do just that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Whatever it is, you are right its a waste of money.

Brian

Due to top posting and random signatures going weird, I read that as "Brian
thinks something Brian said is a waste of money"...

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 20:24:11 -0000, brass monkey wrote:

The trick is to become penniless on the day you die, I wish I knew how to do
it.

You could pay all your money to a hitman. Though that's probably not the
way you'd want it to end.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2011 09:34, root wrote:
On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 20:24:11 -0000, brass monkey wrote:

The trick is to become penniless on the day you die, I wish I knew how to do
it.

You could pay all your money to a hitman. Though that's probably not the
way you'd want it to end.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099818/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:

Anyone want to give their opinion if I give the details?

And it does involve money (mine not yours).

Tell 'em if they _really_ want it when you're dead, they better be damn
nice to you now.

If they want it while you're still alive they better be even nicer ...

The trick is to become penniless on the day you die, I wish I knew how to do
it.

You could donate everything to a charity in your will if you hate your family that much - do you really hate ALL your family? And you can give money to a friend, it doesn't have to a be a relation of course.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Hey, if the bomb dropped tomorrow, anyone not wearing factor 5,000 is going to have a really ****ty day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SNIP

You could donate everything to a charity in your will if you hate your family that much - do you really hate ALL your family? *And you can give money to a friend, it doesn't have to a be a relation of course.

--http://petersparrots.comhttp://petersphotos.com

Hey, if the bomb dropped tomorrow, anyone not wearing factor 5,000 is going to have a really ****ty day.- Hide quoted text -

I could take it off your hands
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 17:36:05 +0000, ARWadsworth wrote:
And it does involve money (mine not yours).

What about boobs?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Anyone want to give their opinion if I give the details?

And it does involve money (mine not yours).

never lend money to family that you expect to get back

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newsp.v5nml7q6ytk5n5@i7-940...

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:

Anyone want to give their opinion if I give the details?

And it does involve money (mine not yours).

Tell 'em if they _really_ want it when you're dead, they better be damn
nice to you now.

If they want it while you're still alive they better be even nicer ...

The trick is to become penniless on the day you die, I wish I knew how to
do
it.

You could donate everything to a charity in your will if you hate your
family that much - do you really hate ALL your family? And you can give
money to a friend, it doesn't have to a be a relation of course.

I'm suggesting that if you have a "nest-egg", spending the last few quid on
the last day of your life is the target
Y'know, maybe enjoying your money in a linear fashion until its all gone on
the final day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim...... wrote:

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Anyone want to give their opinion if I give the details?

And it does involve money (mine not yours).

never lend money to family that you expect to get back

how very true

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
In article ,
tim...... wrote:

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Anyone want to give their opinion if I give the details?

And it does involve money (mine not yours).

never lend money to family that you expect to get back

how very true

Never lend *anything* that you expect back.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 20:24:11 -0000, "brass monkey" wrote:

The trick is to become penniless on the day you die, I wish I knew how to do
it.

I spy an underwriter's opportunity there.
He gives you a wedge, you spend it and he gives you some more every
month until you pop your clogs. Size of wedge and payments depend on
your age and state of health.
In return for which, you sign over your house, car, etc. [1]
Some will live too long of course [2] but over the long run if the
actuary is right, the underwriter should be quids in.

[1] Those house buying schemes were on the right track, but depended
heavily on a rising market.

[2] Calling Richard Hillman.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 18:56:23 -0000, "tim......"
wrote:

never lend money to family that you expect to get back

Some families, you wouldn't want back.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2011 17:36, ARWadsworth wrote:
Anyone want to give their opinion if I give the details?

And it does involve money (mine not yours).

Does it involve which cousins you can marry?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2011 22:19, Ron Lowe wrote:
On 27/11/2011 17:36, ARWadsworth wrote:
Anyone want to give their opinion if I give the details?

And it does involve money (mine not yours).

Does it involve which cousins you can marry?

What awful families these poster seem to have. How sad!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul - xxx wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

Anyone want to give their opinion if I give the details?

And it does involve money (mine not yours).

Tell 'em if they _really_ want it when you're dead, they better be
damn nice to you now.

If they want it while you're still alive they better be even nicer ...

I have made a will. At least I will not be around when that argument starts
(should I die before my Mother)

--
Adam

* Sometimes I like to lay in my neighbours garden and pretend to be a
carrot *

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On Nov 27, 5:36 pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
Anyone want to give their opinion if I give the details?
And it does involve money (mine not yours).

The answer is probably "she's not worth it, no matter how nice her
tits"

On the other hand, she might be.

It's not tits and it's not a will.

It a worthless 16 year old car. My late Grandad offered it to the family
when he packed in driving about 5 years ago. No one wanted it so I took it
as my girlfriend had not got a car. When he gave me the keys he asked me to
offer it to the family if I wanted to get rid of it and also said that I
could not just sell it.

Now I was considering buying a newer car and it turns out one of my Grandads
Great Grandkids wants the old one. I want to give the car to him with good
grace and the stipulation that he must offer it to the family when he gets
rid of the car and he cannot just sell it.

Now my Mum, my girlfriend and my brother want me to ask for money for the
car as I have recently paid for repairs. It was a pair of shock absorbers at
£150 (and brings the total I have spent on repairs in 5 years to about £230)

As the grand kid has now tried to get an insurance quote for the car it is
no longer a problem as he cannot afford to insure it:-)

--
Adam

* Sometimes I like to lay in my neighbours garden and pretend to be a
carrot *

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

It a worthless 16 year old car. My late Grandad offered it to the
family When he gave me the keys he asked me to offer it to the family
if I wanted to get rid of it and also said that I could not just sell
it. Now my Mum, my girlfriend and my brother want me to ask for money
for the car as I have recently paid for repairs.

What's it to do with them? I'd say you followed your grandad's wishes,
and balls to them.

As the grand kid has now tried to get an insurance quote for the car it is
no longer a problem as he cannot afford to insure it:-)

Heh!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2011 22:19 Ron Lowe wrote:

On 27/11/2011 17:36, ARWadsworth wrote:
Anyone want to give their opinion if I give the details?

And it does involve money (mine not yours).

Does it involve which cousins you can marry?

Does he live in 'East Angular' then...?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 29, 8:37*pm, Andy Burns wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
It a worthless 16 year old car. My late Grandad offered it to the
family When he gave me the keys he asked me to offer it to the family
if I wanted to get rid of it and also said that I could not just sell
it. Now my Mum, my girlfriend and my brother want me to ask for money
for the car as I have recently paid for repairs.

What's it to do with them? *I'd say you followed your grandad's wishes,
and balls to them.

I can see it's nothing to the GF, but I would say Mum's views should
be considered, and so should brother's if the great-grand kid is his
(less so if it's another branch of the family).

I think it comes down to what do a) you; b) the family think Granddad
meant when he said "you can't just sell it"? Did he mean "give the
family first refusal to buy it", or did he mean "hand it over for
free" when the time comes?

There's no obviously "right" answer to this. It all comes down to the
personalities involved.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 29/11/11 20:23, ARWadsworth wrote:

It a worthless 16 year old car. My late Grandad offered it to the family
when he packed in driving about 5 years ago. No one wanted it so I took it
as my girlfriend had not got a car. When he gave me the keys he asked me to
offer it to the family if I wanted to get rid of it and also said that I
could not just sell it.

Now I was considering buying a newer car and it turns out one of my Grandads
Great Grandkids wants the old one. I want to give the car to him with good
grace and the stipulation that he must offer it to the family when he gets
rid of the car and he cannot just sell it.

Seems reasonable: an entailed family car.

Now my Mum, my girlfriend and my brother want me to ask for money for the
car as I have recently paid for repairs. It was a pair of shock absorbers at
�150 (and brings the total I have spent on repairs in 5 years to about �230)

That is just cost of ownership, 230/5 = £46pa cost me more than twice
that just to park outside my front door[1]. Whether you paid that just
recently or five years ago is irrelevant (well, you could remove them
and put the old ones back I suppose)

As the grand kid has now tried to get an insurance quote for the car it is
no longer a problem as he cannot afford to insure it:-)

The real costs of ownership. Which makes it a true white elephant.

[1] residents' parking permit £89, didn't notice 'bay suspended' sign
when I put the rubbish out Monday night, so add £65 for PCN

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARWadsworth adamwadsworth@blue
yonder.co.uk scribeth thus
wrote:
On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 20:23:34 -0000, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

Now my Mum, my girlfriend and my brother want me to ask for money
for the car as I have recently paid for repairs. It was a pair of
shock absorbers at £150 (and brings the total I have spent on
repairs in 5 years to about £230)

shrug
That's just part of the total cost of ownership. Would they expect you
to ask for the petrol you've put in over the years, too?

You've done your bit, and if the grandkid now can't afford to take it
on, you're free to flog or scrap it if no-one else in the family wants
it.

I'm keeping it. The Polo I looked at buying was a write off repaired car
(the seller did not mention that even when I asked him).

And the old car has never failed an MOT. I was just wanting something with
aircon and possibly better MPG and cheaper insurance. The car is virtually
rust free (a small blob on the bonnet and the back wheel arch) and runs very
well. It's only done 60K.

BTW my Dad (it was his Dad's car) argreed with me. It should be given away
for free with good grace and I should follow Grandad's intentions even if
the instuctions were not that clear.

I have decided that when I do get rid of it to just smash it into a wall
before selling it to a scrapyard.

BTW what make and model is the said motah?...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

A 1.6 Honda Civic LS (hatchback)

Looks like this

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/q...rent=honda.jpg

but mine has a dent in the back where a 200 year old oak tree grew behind
the car and the girlfriend failed to see it when reversing. Still worth £300
with 12 months test.

And to think my Grandad nearly bought a Ford Orion. If he had I would now be
able to put the Orion rust pile in with his ashes.

--
Adam

* Sometimes I like to lay in my neighbours garden and pretend to be a
carrot *

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:

Anyone want to give their opinion if I give the details?

And it does involve money (mine not yours).

Tell 'em if they _really_ want it when you're dead, they better be damn
nice to you now.

If they want it while you're still alive they better be even nicer ...

The trick is to become penniless on the day you die, I wish I knew how to
do
it.

You could donate everything to a charity in your will if you hate your
family that much - do you really hate ALL your family? And you can give
money to a friend, it doesn't have to a be a relation of course.

I'm suggesting that if you have a "nest-egg", spending the last few quid on
the last day of your life is the target
Y'know, maybe enjoying your money in a linear fashion until its all gone on
the final day.

It is not usually possible to predict the last day with any degree of accuracy.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Does a pope **** in the woods? And if a pope ****s in the woods and no-one is around, does he pebbledash?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:

[...]

It is if you decide to d-i-y it - or nip over to the Dignitas clinic on a
one way ticket.