Posted to uk.d-i-y
ron

Default plumbing argument needs settled

Hi I live in Scotland and was told that using a storage tank in the loft to
feed the cold taps in the bathroom and the hot water tank in a cupboard in
the bedroom was now illegal and that all cold taps now have to be from the
mains. Also that my power shower which is connected to a T-piece from the
feed from the tank supplying the cold taps was illegal. The hot water feed
is te'ed (spelling punctuation???) from the vent pipe that goes from the hot
tank to the attic. Also illegal?

It was done as per the instructions supplied with the shower but I am being
told these instructions are OK for England but not Scotland.

My hot water is heated by gas hence the power shower.

My house was built in 1991 and I have been told that the "regulations" would
not allow that plumbing system system nowadays. Am I being told a load of
rubbish or is my plumbing system now illegal?

Thanks Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

ron wrote:
Hi I live in Scotland and was told that using a storage tank in the loft to
feed the cold taps in the bathroom and the hot water tank in a cupboard in
the bedroom was now illegal and that all cold taps now have to be from the
mains. Also that my power shower which is connected to a T-piece from the
feed from the tank supplying the cold taps was illegal. The hot water feed
is te'ed (spelling punctuation???) from the vent pipe that goes from the hot
tank to the attic. Also illegal?

It was done as per the instructions supplied with the shower but I am being
told these instructions are OK for England but not Scotland.

My hot water is heated by gas hence the power shower.

My house was built in 1991 and I have been told that the "regulations" would
not allow that plumbing system system nowadays. Am I being told a load of
rubbish or is my plumbing system now illegal?

1/. In england it certainly is not. Mind you ought ought to be..;-)

2/. I am almost 100% sure that no retrospective legislation is ever
applied to any UK building regulations. I.e. there is no requirement to
retrospectively adapt old systems to new regulations unless they are
part of a materials and substantive change.

3/. 'Your boiler* wouldn't meet regulations" is the sort of cry one
hears, but some tradesmen turn that into "your boiler is illegal" and
still others turn that into "and I won't touch it: It will have to be
all replaced".

* substitute unpressurised water or whatever the current tradesman is
conning you into replacing.

Thanks Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
ron wrote:
[...]

Ask him to go into the loft and see if there's any dead rats/birds/floating
fibreglass pariticals if its an open tank?

I've done away with tank and fed the cold water direct to the mains, much
cleaner.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gav

ron wrote:
[...]

if the regulations have changed it just means your wont be to current
standards. as for the tank in the loft for cold water i would prefer
mains feed cold myself. dead animals always seem to find thier way in to
the tanks!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
ron wrote:
Hi I live in Scotland and was told that using a storage tank in the loft
to feed the cold taps in the bathroom and the hot water tank in a
cupboard in the bedroom was now illegal and that all cold taps now have
to be from the mains.

My parent's house in Aberdeen was built in the '30s. It had mains water to
the bathroom basin. Only the bath cold and toilet came off the tank.

--
*Hang in there, retirement is only thirty years away! *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aidan

ron wrote:
Hi I live in Scotland and was told that using a storage tank in the loft to
feed the cold taps in the bathroom and the hot water tank in a cupboard in
the bedroom was now illegal and that all cold taps now have to be from the
mains.

Utter ballcocks. Nothing wrong or illegal with a properly installed CW
storage tank (close fitting lid, insulated, filtered overflow & air
inlet, supported on WBP ply, etc..).

Also that my power shower which is connected to a T-piece from the
feed from the tank supplying the cold taps was illegal. The hot water feed
is te'ed (spelling punctuation???) from the vent pipe that goes from the hot
tank to the attic. Also illegal?

Power shower = shower pump?
Usually the hot is supplied from an Warix/Surrey/Essex flange to avoid
air bubbles being drawn into the pump. Not illegal, maybe inadvisable.
Look at the installation recommendations on the pump manufacturer's
website. These will be legal for all of the EEC.

I think (can't recall) that they prefer a separate connection to the
tank for the cold supply to the shower.

It was done as per the instructions supplied with the shower but I am being
told these instructions are OK for England but not Scotland.

Has Scotland seceded from the EEC?
My house was built in 1991 and I have been told that the "regulations" would
not allow that plumbing system system nowadays. Am I being told a load of
rubbish or is my plumbing system now illegal?

He's either having you on, or he really believes what he has told you,
in which case he's an idiot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 08:15:38 GMT someone who may be Gav
""gavbriggs\"@[cut the spam]blueyonder.co.uk" wrote this:-

as for the tank in the loft for cold water i would prefer
mains feed cold myself. dead animals always seem to find thier way in to
the tanks!

One has yet to find its way into the various ones I look after for
members of the family in the past three decades.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 22:49:02 GMT someone who may be "ron"
wrote this:-

Hi I live in Scotland and was told that using a storage tank in the loft to
feed the cold taps in the bathroom and the hot water tank in a cupboard in
the bedroom was now illegal

You were told something that is incorrect.

and that all cold taps now have to be from the mains.

So, what was it claimed was wrong with the hot water cylinder?
Perhaps the fact that it is in a bedroom?

Also that my power shower which is connected to a T-piece from the
feed from the tank supplying the cold taps was illegal.

Very undesirable, though probably acceptable if the shower is a
thermostatic one.

If the shower is not a thermostatic one then not acceptable, the
cold feed to the shower should be taken from a fitting on the tank
that is lower down than the one that feeds the hot water. This way
if the tank is emptied the hot water will run out before the cold
and so people will not be scalded.

The hot water feed
is te'ed (spelling punctuation???) from the vent pipe that goes from the hot
tank to the attic. Also illegal?

Not in the least. Certainly undesirable, unless the shower is a
thermostatic one, because turning on another hot tap will mean the
shower runs cold.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Gav gavbriggs\@[cut the spam]blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
if the regulations have changed it just means your wont be to current
standards. as for the tank in the loft for cold water i would prefer
mains feed cold myself. dead animals always seem to find thier way in to
the tanks!

Then you need to cover it properly and fit a trap on the overflow.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Then you need to cover it properly and fit a trap on the overflow.

How do you keep the trap full? Presumably some sort of rubber flap instead
or something?

Christian.

Plumbing inspector nightmare Sasha Home Repair 65 July 11th 05 01:05 PM
Offset Plumbing For Wider Whirlpool? Jim Home Repair 1 June 16th 05 02:15 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
New Home Slab Plumbing Catastrophe jim Home Repair 22 July 29th 03 04:09 AM