Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Bonner Martin Bonner is offline

Default OT Family Argument

On Nov 29, 8:37*pm, Andy Burns wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
It a worthless 16 year old car. My late Grandad offered it to the
family When he gave me the keys he asked me to offer it to the family
if I wanted to get rid of it and also said that I could not just sell
it. Now my Mum, my girlfriend and my brother want me to ask for money
for the car as I have recently paid for repairs.

What's it to do with them? *I'd say you followed your grandad's wishes,
and balls to them.

I can see it's nothing to the GF, but I would say Mum's views should
be considered, and so should brother's if the great-grand kid is his
(less so if it's another branch of the family).

I think it comes down to what do a) you; b) the family think Granddad
meant when he said "you can't just sell it"? Did he mean "give the
family first refusal to buy it", or did he mean "hand it over for
free" when the time comes?

There's no obviously "right" answer to this. It all comes down to the
personalities involved.